Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    hey, very colorful stuff! really nice!
    I like the alien chick face a lot!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Jason: Much <3 for my first traditional art patron :)
    Makkon: Crazy?! I was crazy once...
    Sparkwire: Haha, thanks man. I played with some colorful backgrounds for the first pass renders, be happy to throw together a new one... something like this? Next update :)
    Daphz: And so you shall! My mission is to paint something that isn't a face/bust with crazy colors and shapes. As much as I loves em, I needs me some challenge. Wish me luck!
    Swizzle: How much are 3d prints anyway? If it's not that much I actually might make a few... as nizza said, they'd be fun to fondle.
    Brandoom: Hmmm.... good question. None of these were really planned or thought about before hand, I have a simple super low-res basemesh I use for all of these, I usually start by grabbing the move brush and just smashing some weird random shapes into the mesh and then figuring out how to make them work. The rest just kinda grows out of the model on its own. Either that or I'm copying someone's concept from cghub :)
    Bonds: Haha, awesome, thanks :)
    Shimmer: Thanks man! Big fan of your work as well

I try to only post in this thread when I have new art to show... sooo here's a crappy old-ish armor sketch for a game idea that existed for like... a week. Cheers!

hotass2.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    some sick, twisted, crazy shit here
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    3D printing mainly depends on how big the model is, but the prices can be pretty steep (a few hundred bucks) if you don't optimize the model very well.

I'd suggest talking to Sectaurs. He runs a 3D print shop online and he could probably hook you up with a good price.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Ferg: Super sick stuff man. Love the bug head and face-sucker.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    thanks guys!

It's after 4am so this post's gonna be quick. I promised myself I was going to fix my sleep schedule like... two months ago.

I sculpted this in january but couldn't show it till the issue shipped. I was lucky enough to do a tutorial article for 3d artist magazine on Zbrush 4 and shadowbox. You should all go buy it, it's very good.

3da_28_page2.jpg

final_comp.jpg

And I did get back to acrylics for a bit... made this huge thing, 2' x 3'. It's the biggest painting I've done, and one of the few I planned at all. It's based on some dreams I had as a kid. There are still things to fix, and some issues too big to fix, but I'm takin a break from it for now. Camera nukes out like half the color... owell.

dreampaint.jpg

cheers!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ferg, you are wonderful!
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    That painting is fecking awesome!
    Congrats on the article, real nice piece :D
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    El Fergies zbrusho is awesome @ making polyboobs! :)
    I promised myself I was going to fix my sleep schedule like... two months ago.

Fixed mine recently It's awesome so much more time, dude do It a.s.a.p. sleep around 10-11p.m. wake up at around 5-6 a.m. loads of time! You only need 7-8 hours of sleep just set your clock, I wake up by myself so I don't need that annoying sound buzzing in my ears.

Also love this:
    HotAss
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    wow, love the last one, very dynamic and colorful
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good thing its "no-pants-Friday" otherwise I'd be in trouble again. I really need to stop checking this thread at work. I'd love to see that thing full sized.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AWESOME. Probably one of my favorites from you.

It did make me think of the lady from Kung Pow though.

KungPow-photo_11.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah. definitely one of my favourite sculpts from your sickass mind :D
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    trippy colorful awesomeness!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I bought 3D Artist yesterday was surprised, and cool to see someone I recognised. Really good article, and sculpt, pops straight out at you. Congratz.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

MoP - Aww thanks baby <3
    Massbot - Thanks mang!
    $inz - Lulz, thanks for the words of encouragement but I'm still up till 6am every night... derp. I'm moving back to WA at the end of the month though, hopefully I'll be able to work a sleep schedule change into that overall life change. Probably not thought. Owell.
    Orb - Thanks, been lovin your recent work as well man
    Vig - Haha, what awesome/creepy company do you work at that has nopants fridays? I mean, I have that too, but it's not as cool when you work alone in your room.
    SeanEG - Hahaha... cannot be unseen
    Butt - thanks dude :)
    Daphz - <3 Thanks, your plague doctor's lookin pretty badass by the way. I need to drop a comment in your WIP thread soon.
    Calabi - Hell yeah, thanks man! When I finished the article and the sculpt, I was pretty anxious about the whole thing. Wasn't really happy with how the model turned out and felt like the article was gonna be a disaster. GG paranoia. Thanks much for saying that about the tutorial, I hope I was able to actually teach somethin :)

I'll write more once my brain has had a minute to decompress from working on this all day. Here's a simple turnaround screengrab set... no fancy pants render passes or anything, just a "best" render with shadows. Tomorrow I'll try and do something fancier. Not super happy with it but eh. Any feedback on the texture would be mucho apprecionado.

more words later... cheers!

Timelapses:
    Part 1 - sculpting
    Part 2 - sculpting 2
    Part 3 - polypainting

note: in the timelapses I use a really simple/limited workflow. My "professional" workflow is a little more technical, when I have concept art and a solid target. For this project I was more interested in playing with shapes and staying creative and loose with it.

mutantWIP2.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    still struggling to wrap my head around rendering... any feedback on that aspect would be most excellent

time machine edit in response to bonebrew: this is all rendered in zbrush, tryin to learn my way around the new BPR renderer

cheers

mutant_final1.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    is that out of Mental Ray or Zbrush?
    I like that wet, 90's horror movie look.
    Maybe he could use some nice dramatic backlighting?

just a though, thing looks feckin creepy as is
  • shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    honestly this whole thread is awesome i love the characters..they have real CHARACTER. lol :) keep up the good work :thumbup:
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    bonebrew: straight zbrush render. Yeah, needs better lighting, and materials, and some sculpty cleanup... hopefully I'll get motivated fix it sooner than later.
    shawnell: thanks :)

been workin on a humphrey bogart sketch based on this awesome caricature by Jason Seiler - http://cghub.com/images/view/130035/

really interesting expression to try to capture... don't think I'm there yet. More updates soon hopefully.

bogartblah.jpg

cheers!
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Just went through the entire thread and all of it is really inspiring work man. Congrats on the magazine feature, I'll definitely pick that up.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow dude, you got that caricature spot on. If anything, I'd say maybe tone down the wrinkles around the eye a bit, but that's only because I'm trying to say something more than "wow" for once.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    darbeenbo: thanks man :) I hope the tutorial ends up being useful, I'd love to get some feedback on it if anyone does read it, it's ma first tut
    SeanEG: Hah thanks man, good crit actually, I revisited the eye folds for this second pass and I likes em better now

Went back and cleaned up some odds and ends that were buggin me... not 100% happy but I've spent way too much time on it, so it's donezo. Cheers!

bogart.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    dooope! >:{
    last pic works real great with those fancy finishing touches meng ^_^
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    great stuf ferg! the bogart is fantastic
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Really cool caricature!!

I still think you should add that little rim light on the left!

Also I like your paintings alot. Well done!
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Everything here looks too awesome to be truly commented. How did I dare to miss all these works until now?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    nizzla: <3
    dan: thanks man :)
    carl: many thanks, I would add it but I'm so past tired of working on that thing
    drayton: cheers!

a quickie from today, probably inspired by something crazyfool posted in the WAYWO recently...

valkquickie.jpg

and a couple random screens from infamous 2... finally able to show this stuff off a little. I'll put together a proper folio update in a month or so and hopefully have some better shots. I was NOT responsible for the hard surface work on the character, except for the few zbrushed hard bits. The rest was subd from maya by a coworker.

bag_textured.jpg

icesoldier_zb.jpg

and a mural I did before leaving salt lake... already posted in the WAYWO a couple days ago but the guys sent me a new shot with a fancy film-grain overlay... how could I not post it? Hopefully have a timelapse of the whole thing to post soon. All spraypaint, took around 34 hrs. Second pic is the concept I pooped out in photoshop beforehand.

SAGA_SUPPLIERS_WEST_9.jpg

sagawall4.jpg

cheers!
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome Stuff like always Ferg :D
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow man... srry had to pick up jaw, that piece with the blue cubic shapes blows my mind, beautiful and awesome stuff!
  • CapnPoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The nose/brow area is looking kind of shapeless. You said you were working from somebody else's design, so that may be intentional. Maybe rework the nose so that it has a bit more form, and doesn't look like it's dripping off the face so much. Maybe rework the detailing on it too, right now they kind of feel like they're just there to look cool, without really being a part of the face.

Kudos on doing full figures.

Much love brother,
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    those infamous 2 models are really clean! and that mural is kick ass too! I needs me some more spraypaint
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    nice man- good to see some aerosol antics!