Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

character things (watch out for nudity :3)

Replies

• crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    keeps getting better :) you could retop super quickly in zbrush and then in max or whatever add the subD based edgeloops. grassetti did it with his amazing mecha girl , otherwise just project it on and play with the polish brushes like you have.
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    nizza you retopo that shit! NAO.

......fkn awesome
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    next: hehe, if i had any sub-d abilities i'd defo go that way, unfortunatley i suck heaps at it >_< Hoping some retopology will clean it up a little ^^;
    crazyfool: woo, cheers for that grassetti link, forgot he did it that way. Was lookin at cedric seaut's stuff actually, he does the same thing i think (link)
    striker: haha, cheers man :P

Still some junk to go but almost there(?)
    I think days 3-9000 will be retopo (not lookin forward to it, hate this part :poly122:)

Only have to do retopo and cleaned final meshes for certain bits i think, ie: just the right thigh, right shoulder , head, etc... So might go slightly quicker.
    Fingers crossed this bit goes smooth and I don't loose all interest in finishing this char :)

01g.jpg
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    This is... just too cool.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Absolutely gorgeous man!!
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Nizza_waaarg! Looking good, but I'd suggest making the feet more like those of the Necris from UT3. Really like how yours look, but they don't feel like adequate support.
    A somewhat similar shape, but notice the supports

FeetExample.jpg
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Oh wow dude, that looks awesome. Really love the proportions and style!
    The feet sort of remind me of ballerina feet. I think that really breaks up the heavy/rough mech stuff (in a good way) So I'd say, try to keep those in :D

Anyway, your work so far looks awesome. I'll be subscribing to this thread ;)

Keep it up!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Dude you have absolutely exploded - take a minute and look at your work a couple years ago. Yeah, thats what im talkin bout.

You're killin me man!! Massive improovements! This chick you got goin on is super hot!!!!!!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    fucking awesome! love the somewhat reserved way you texture your stuff and the sculpts have so much character. and great boobs and asses! can't forget those. :D definitely shouldve looked in here earlier (odd since you actually advertise the nudity! :D) and will follow this from now on.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    next-gen megaman, or megagirl?!

Always a fan dude, keep rockin!
  • 7oli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7oli polycounter lvl 7
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL: ty
    Alberto: cheers
    SuPa: oh mans, i so shoulda peeped them necris feet before, that woulda been awsome... gonna try and rework them a bit so awsome ref, cheers man ^^
    moof: ^^
    MeintevdS: Cheers man ^^ I dig mech designs with pointy tapered feet (ie: zone of the enders)
    pior: :)
    Haz: haha, thanks dude, appreciated ^^ I think i've been exposed to too much of your stuff (got more females with less clothing on my list next ^^;)
    divi: hehe, all about the boobs and asses :P
    wizo: cool to see you around again man ^^ haha, completley went all megaman by accident :3
    7oli: cheers

Arg, aight back. Kindof a mini poop update but gettin somewhere. Still stuff to add/tweak on the high poly but i normally abandon projects after 5 days so i gotta get this done asap :3
    Quick bake down to low, tho the the mesh is like 15k tri's (not exactly budget asset -_-). Can always claim it as a cinematic lod :\

gotta move onto textures now. would be cool if i can finish this by tommorow to fit into my weird 5 day deadline thing...
    (still lovin this leocov shader btw... should read better with colour on there :poly136:)

02a1.jpg
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    you fucking ninja. this is mint dude. mint. looking forward to the colour job
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    lovely recent works Nizza, always inspirational !
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit: cheers man ^^
    ern: ta :)

still blockin stuff in and testing out junk, but if anyone's used leocov's maya ubershader, is there any way to get the cubemaps or reflection working? or even that hemispheric ambient whatsit over there...
    srsly need some reflection but no idea how to get it working :\ (i just threw a random picture in the cubemap slot, might need a proper cubemap to activate, mebbe?)

anyways, imma keep at it (and i kinda dig the "topless" mode tbh :\)

edit: emailed leo and got an awsome response back, so should be workin sweet now ^^ (have to use a proper cubemap was the issue ^^;). Updates as soon as i got some proper texturing in i suppose :)

02b1.jpg
  • throttlekitty
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers ^^

aight, sort of an update i suppose. Think i need to up the values of stuff or make it more contrasty mebbe. Glowy bits will help heaps i think (coz that's how all anti-grav backpacks works yo).
    Still got dirt/grime layer and a bunch of stickers/decals/text to go all over the place.

Gotta try some diff colour schemes too, more work after food :)
    (oh, flat maps at the bottom, from right to left: diff, spec, reflection mask and gloss i think... tho the gloss is having a bit to strong effect on the reflection atm)

02f.jpg

02d.jpg
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    looks awesome nizza.

ill wait till you up the colors and stuff :)
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Nice thread! Tons of cool work in here man.
  • vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    yo man, I think you should like..stop while your ahead..or slow down at least, your making me feel bad for my lack of stuff to show :3
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    holy macaroni, lookin awesome nizza

gotta toss a tiny little crit though, about the feet. It looks like she just doesnt have any, as opposed to the robot heels you've got her rockin right now. I think it's because the lower leg is too short, it should be as long as it + the feet are now, IMO. And maybe make the intersection between the leg and foot just a tad more defined? Just a suggestion, lookin great anyway.

btw congrats on the cghub front page pimp, they've got this chick in the pic collage rotation with the biggest thumbnail in the bunch
  • big40
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEY what up i am a noob here and that hellboy is hot well do/
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    striker: ^^
    hntrluc: thank you :)
    vivin: haha, i knew a vivin once, was all about makin art and junk :P
    sampson: feet are for the weak (they the mini heel kinda dealios at the bottom there, but gettin a bit of an overhaul on the next pass)
    ferg: awsome point on the legs/feet dude ^^ Gonna try tweaking the lower legs alot too when i get onto redoing the feets :) (and woo, 1 step closer to hittin that top row... someday man :P)

still more texturing to go, think the suit and body are all blending into one un-contrasty mass... dunno what to do there (maybe more/less reflection/spec/value on different bits, i dunno ^^; )
    still got decals, paint and text to throw around, more face texturing, and i did a 30 second colour scheme test (if anyone's got cool paint scheme ideas im all ears)

slowly gettin better with the shader too i think ^^ (also glowy bits make teh anti-grav jet thingos work :poly142:)

edit: updated pic with fancy post effects (colour balanceis a post effect... just like marmoset cept not, dunno how to add bloom yet ^^)

03c.jpg

03b1.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I feel like the current color composition works the best. The weight and balance on her is really great! It's an awesome silhouette with a great read. Though I will admit..I feel like her face is lacking the personality that the rest of the character has.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good Nizza! I agree with you about her appearing like a grey mass though. Looks to me like that's caused by her gauntlets visually connecting her upper armor bits with her lower ones because they're so huge. I think if you make them mostly a lighter colour, like close to white, it will break up the colours and add some contrast. You could also make her helmet and feet the same colour to unify the whole piece. Something else I think is worth experimenting with is to make the inside of her leg armor a different tone/colour from the outside so that when the legs overlap it's easy to identify which one's in front of which. Just my 0.02.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I love this piece man, I'm glad you've taken it as far as you have. I usually end up disappointed when you don't finish projects. Been saving all the WIPs of this one so far just in case. :)

I agree with ErichWK that the face is lacking in personality. Are you planning on opening the eyes at all? It looks like in your mesh you have all the necessary facial loops, and I think giving her an expression and opening her eyes would really help.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    What about keeping the current color and adding like a red for small details and shit like that. Like for the bults or something. I think that would help it pop..

Where did you find that maya shader? Looks real nice!

Keep it up, looking forward for next update!
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the design and execution man nice job
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK: ^^ cheers dude, agreed on the face still
    Quaser: some cool points man. Hoping the paint glowy bits kinda break her up a little more, but still worth tweaking i think
    Frump: thank you :) Cool idea on the face, currently she's just got eyes closed but can't imagine it'd be too hard to seperate the polies and stick some eyeballs in there, defo gonna give that a shot on my second pass
    sltrOlssen: not a bad idea, but it kinda took away some of the uniformity across the outfit. Hoping i can pull things out with paint and junk. Also the shader is from leocov, love it more than anything so far ^^ (link)
    55joe: ^^ cheers

aight so imma do the same as hellboy and move her off to the side for now. Still got a massive list of things to change when i do my finalising pass on everything so thanks for all the awsome crits :)

Thinkin of doing my japanese adventure time dude next, or a realistic style char based off a massive black concept (pic).
    Not 100% on josh brolin anymore, hard to get the forms/gesture looking less blocky and square (from the front view especially), ill keep at it when i can tho.

edit: threw in a quick pic from marmo (last day of trial version :3)... like how it handles teh spec in some places (metals ^^) but i think each version has their own strengths and weakness

03d2.jpg

01e1.jpg

01f.jpg

03e.jpg
  • weisheng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weisheng polycounter lvl 9
    u already know i think this stuff is orsum, update soon :D
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    looking great man. looking forward to the new fella, sketches are cool
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    How could I miss this post ? So many cool chara in there !!
    More =) !!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weisheng: :P
    crazyfool: ^^ cheers man
    Gosss: hehe, thank you :)

been kinda lazy the last 2 days after hitting the near finishing point on that last char.
    Finally got around to making stuff just now so back into it i guess. Decided to stick with josh brolin as it's always hard making simpler, realistic characters look interesting imo (as opposed to stylized, gear'd up mofo's :3)... practice practice ^^

just a mini wip pic, some reporportioning and tryin to make the forms look more interesting. Shirt folds be tricky here too (no idea what pose/s he gonna be in yet :P)
    04a.jpg
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Holy crap on a cracker.
    Nizza, the cyberchick look aweeeesome. I really enjoy the shapes and proportions.

If i was forced to give some crit I'd say that you could tune up material definition. Because I can't say for sure which material is her gear made from. You have dark stuff along the edges, that looks like a worn off paint to me, but nevertheless it's not very shiny on the corners and edges as would be with metal that got paint scraped off. Could be plastic, but I don't think that it's ever painted. Sharp metallic highlights will also help you accentuate the cool complex shapes you've got going on there.

You're probably already finished with it anyway, but I just thought It might still be helpful.

keep on rockin'.=)

p.s. the kid is awesome too.) I'd love to see him textured.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    03e.jpg
    Man I really think you should go back, and retopologize a lot of those shapes and clean stuff up before you bake it down. This is a pretty cool character, some real polish would really really make it pop.

I'd try some new head variations too.

Just sayin.

also: http://nizza.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/01g.jpg

the body has a brown hue, I'd go back and use that. Everything is slightly blue right now which makes it muddier.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver: good point on the mat definition man, noticing it more now ^^ Wasn't sure whether to go plastic or metal and tried for metal. Think upping the spec and maybe blurring the cubemap might help it read better (on the fixing list ^^)

moof: oh mans : ( Was hoping the divide/cleanup pass and low poly bake would help but i get what you mean in places (the blobbiness and wavy lines around).
    Was gonna try adding some expression to the head, might be fun to go back and do some alt heads altogether. And cool idea with the brown hue ^^ tho that was the matcap in zb doing that, guessing adding brown to the diff and/or post effects might acheive a similar result (mebbe?). Hoping it helps break up the char a bit more.

Cheers for the crits guys, definitley good to have this stuff before i call it all done :)
    threw in some quick wires and flats too. Someone recommended cutting down on the legs' armour which is defo a good idea. Anyways, I'll be back to finishing all these chars off for the folio after getting a few more done.

04a1.jpg
    04b.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little bit of work on this dude this mornin. Thinking of goin with a painterly but simple texture/shader style, then there'd be some cool animations over that... dunno how it'll work yet :3
    (drawing a lot of inspiration from mugen from samurai champloo btw ^^)

body/head/socks next (might have to work the shorts folds a bit mroe later)
    02a2.jpg
  • Harvey.D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice dog, what brushes were you using for getting definition on that sci-fi chicks armor? As far as like, planar and polish.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harvey: cheers man. mostly just move brush on the zsphere blob, then cut into it with the dam standard or the mech brushes (googles, they're on zbc somewhere, killer brushes ^^). Then just trim dynamic'd my way to victory :\

threads be moving fast up in here
    started up a little side project... quick male figure out of my head, trying to get proportion and gesture lookin good but really not gettin it at all :( (this is where ref would prolly be a smart choice >_<)
    gonna do a cloth study over the base too. Suit first, then this badass jacket :3

01a1.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    excellent updates Nizza, I was gonna rag on you for not finishin Brolin first, but then I remembered my own thread and figured I'd let it slide this time ;)

Mech-girl turned out sweet, the real-time could use some defenition between parts,maybe just darken the AO in the seams? along with the head variations you could try some kinda visor thing that opens up out of the helmet? sorta like Iron man or Slipgates DWIV? just a thought anyway.

New guy is sweet too but you're not alowed to do that jacket without also doing the hat and glasses.

Seriously.

It's forbidden.

I'll find you...
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    I think you should take your mech chick back to this point
    http://nizza.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/01e.jpg

Love the lighter top without the shoulder pads, i'd even consider revealing some skin on the back, maybe go for something elegant or sexy.

I think her eyes need to be open and the helmet removed or revisited by adding a clever visor design, etc for a clearer point of interest. Also, there should be a clear point that has been built as a crescendo in your design, a main focus.

It would definitely help to sub-d the armor pieces to make their surfaces and edges cleaner, smoother.

I love the wide leg and arm proportions, for sure, but the feet break it for me and think those should also be revisited. The piece seems to be getting decent attention, so it's something worthy of spit-shine.

Your textures do seem underwhelmed, too light, and over simplified. I'd give much more attention to setting those base material descriptions; gloss, spec, color, before pushing forward to polish.

I'm loving the work in this thread.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scudz: :P all abouts the slipgate helmets ^^ (beard+hair > hat and glasses :))
    killinppl: yeah i still kinda dig the no shoulders dealio... hrmmm >_> good points man, defo gotta focus on that material definition and fiddling with some concept changes. Might be a big ole reworkin happenin (still got no sub-d powers tho :\)

page o' arts (coz i like attention : D)... gotta get onto them cloth studies, anatomy still be messin with my brains which blows.
    Thinkin of bailin on the brolin due to the anatomy and clothes lookin like poop, but i really gotta do some realistic chars asap :(

jackeduppoopbrains.jpg
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice style and proportions. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in future.

Great job.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    I like your style man. You got nice flow.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melonman: ^^ ty
    stefanH: cheers

quick head sculpt i pooped out this morning while waiting for some work to upload to ftp.
    Theres a CRAZY amount of lag when trying to record a timelapse in zb so he's still mega blobby and unfinished coz i couldn't stand the massive delay every time i lifted up the pen tryin to sculpt >_<
    It's for crazyfool's daily sculpting exercises thread over on... *cough* ga.org

Redoin the shirt for japanese adventurin dude, and workin out new cloth sculpts for some of those realistic style characters next.

untitled-11.jpg

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/19154909&quot; width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href=" from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3853865">chris nirenberg</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p&gt;

vimeo link if the embedding dealio aint working ^^;
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    serious inspiration here nizza, lovin this thread, anatomy style is ace
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super happy cow: :P
    ferg: :) i should really get back into the anatomy studies proper, noticing a bunch of bits im jsut guessing which aint a good sign ^^;

mini update before sleep. Little more on japanese adventurin dude (redid his shirt, kinda subtle imo), and more suit guy.
    Finally decided on a bunch of realistic chars to do (kinda realistic... not rly >_>). Suit guy, street gangster guy who's fat and has baggy clothes, and latin gangster dude. Should be good anatomy and cloth practice, can try and push them to a really sharp finish too.

01b2.jpg

02b2.jpg