Home General Discussion

TRON: Legacy

Replies

• Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    About the whole timescale thing in Tron.... Flynn says that 1 milicycle = 8 hours. I remember someone mentioning a memory they had of 20 Cycles ago.... so we don't know for sure how long Flynn was in there, but we can use mathematics to easily figure out how many years each "Cycle" is inside of the grid.

8 hours = 1 milicycle, which means that 8000 hours = a cycle. (assuming cycle measurement is in base ten, like the metric system, which i think is a good assumption)

1000 milicycles = 1 cycle = 8000 hours = 333.33 days,

20 Cycles = roughly 18.264 years in the grid.

That's pretty intense.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Virtuosic wrote: »
    About the whole timescale thing in Tron.... Flynn says that 1 milicycle = 8 hours. I remember someone mentioning a memory they had of 20 Cycles ago.... so we don't know for sure how long Flynn was in there, but we can use mathematics to easily figure out how many years each "Cycle" is inside of the grid.

8 hours = 1 milicycle, which means that 8000 hours = a cycle. (assuming cycle measurement is in base ten, like the metric system, which i think is a good assumption)

1000 milicycles = 1 cycle = 8000 hours = 333.33 days,

20 Cycles = roughly 18.264 years in the grid.

That's pretty intense.

~ wut.

just tell me how long he was in there for, my feeble art mind is only capable of mashing shapes together to make pretty pictures.

Explain it to me Number Man.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We can't know for sure, he never tells us how long a cycle takes in real world time units.

The equation cannot be solved with the missing variable, because we have no equation that enables us to convert Grid time into real world Time. We can just speculate.

He says that Hours in the grid equals seconds in the real world... but it's not really an accurate revelation. However we can now determine a ratio of time based on this information

If 1 hour in the grid = 1 second in the real world, than 8 hours in the grid (1 milicycle) would equal 8 seconds in the real world.

That would mean that there are 86,400 hours in the grid in 1 actual day in the real world.

Flynn was in the grid for 21 years. which equates to 662,256,000 Hours in grid time. which equals 75,600 years.

When Sam says to Flynn, it's been a long time... Flynn says "You have no idea."

Probably because he's almost as old as the entire human species at this point.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I kinda would have liked to see
    clu and his micro army make it to the real world, only to find that none of their technology works when non-grid physics take over
    :)

I also noticed a number of elements from the tron2.0 game in this movie, including the 2nd gen lightcycle. Even thoug the game isn't canon, it's interesting to see bits of it brought in
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    On the Tron Wiki it says:
    There is a time dilation effect inside the Computer World, where time passes about 50 times faster than it does in our world. In the case of Kevin Flynn, even though it's been 20 years since he disappeared, almost 1,000 years have passed from Flynn's point of view inside the computer.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Virtuosic time seems more spot on. Virt, you should edit that page.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Virtuosic time seems more spot on. Virt, you should edit that page.

~ Agreed. With your breakdown of how you got your answer too, which pretty much makes it unfathomable that Flynn even remembers there is even a world outside.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

(inertia is a property of matter)

BILL BILL BILL.... et cetera.
  • TeRRoR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeRRoR polycounter lvl 8
    notman wrote: »
    BTW, was anyone else a little disappointed that he didn't do more with Flynn's cycle? I was really expecting it to come into play more later

Yeah I agree, also it would have been cool to see the other characters in the bar talking to Zuse and the characters captured with Sam play a bigger role in the film. I mean it would have been cool to see what happens to them if you know what I mean.
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff wrote: »
    The look she had on her face while they were riding off into the sunset in the end and then buried her face into him was priceless.

QFT totally made me feel all warm and giddy inside

It was an amazing movie, saw it in IMAX 3d, and though the 3d was not very impressive (like everyone said) the IMAX part was totally worth it. much better than i expected... and my expectations were pretty high.
    One of my favorite parts was when Flynn Sr. comes into the bar and all the lights change and everyone like starts to bow down all in awe.. awesome.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Vailias wrote: »
    I also noticed a number of elements from the tron2.0 game in this movie, including the 2nd gen lightcycle. Even thoug the game isn't canon, it's interesting to see bits of it brought in

Yeah, kinda nice seeing how much of the game made it into the movie. For example in the game you play Alan's son, Jethro, who's pretty much a mirror of Sam. Both of their mom's died early too, although Lora (Alan's wife) died because of a digitizing accident. Game also mentions "Tron: Legacy", although it's a codename for an updated build of Tron :)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Maybe I'm unique in this, but I never check the main page of these forums. Like just the main Polycount.com or Gameartisans.org, I never go to those. I just have the General forum always open in a tab. So unless someone mentions it there, or an e-mail gets sent, I won't see it.

Would be cool to have competitions in the top-row rotation though, since that's site-wide.

Actually I made a post about it in GD - horse to water and all that.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    TeRRoR wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, also it would have been cool to see the other characters in the bar talking to Zuse and the characters captured with Sam play a bigger role in the film. I mean it would have been cool to see what happens to them if you know what I mean.

Good point. I forgot that those guys ended up doing nothing also. It would have been cool for them to be captured, and having them work beside Sam, doing a battle in the games.

The movie just touched on so many things, but didn't expand on any of them. I think that's my biggest disappointment.

Something else I should probably point out; I saw this in 2D. I'm beginning to wonder if seeing the movie in 3D or IMAX, really changes the experience for you. The environment in the movie is definitely amazing, and I imagine it's even more impressive with 3D or IMAX. My budget is too tight right now to justify either format, so I was stuck taking the family to a 2D matinee. So, even if there are very few 3D scenes, it may be what makes the difference. I'm curious who saw it in a different format, and was disappointed.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Just saw this in 3D last night. My first time at an Alamo Drafthouse!
    I agree the story/dialog could have been a bit better in parts, but I think I could say that about any movie. I LOVED the visuals and the music/sound was superb. I agree the negative reviews are undeserved.

I will totally be buying this one upon release.

Also, The Grid didn't need a sun, when you've got something as radiant as Olivia Wilde walkin' around. Good gravy she's gorgeous.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    felt like i needed to post this here too.

daft_tron.png
  • TeRRoR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeRRoR polycounter lvl 8
    Also, The Grid didn't need a sun, when you've got something as radiant as Olivia Wilde walkin' around. Good gravy she's gorgeous.

THIS
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I thought she's gorgeous too. I wonder though if she's going to hate it that people will always know her as "The girl from Tron" from now on.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, I thought she's gorgeous too. I wonder though if she's going to hate it that people will always know her as "The girl from Tron" from now on.

~ The 21st century Carrie Fisher
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    My god, I hope she ages better ;)

I already loved gaze upon her during House, but she looked damn good in Tron. Not crazy about the hair style, but loved the body suit :D
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Tron 2

visuals = hot threesome on a water slide.. (at Disney world, Mickey sees you go past and he covers his eyes while you just laugh, minnie is offended but curious.)

Plot = fapping to 70's pr0n (where no one shaved and the people are kinda ugly.) in grandmas basement while the rest of family starts to open gifts upstairs for christmas. Then someone shouts "where is plot?" PLottttt? Where are you? Nothing!! what?.. ahh.. Down here, **cough** I'll be right up. Turns off the CRT television and VCR... TRipps on green shagg carpet.

there, thats my review.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8

Nope, she'll always by XIII, or Remy, from House to me :D This is just another awesome thing she's done now :P

Imo, I thought her haircut was adorable lol.
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    I have to add this because I don't believe I have read it yet.

Don't see it in Imax for the 3D. It has already been established that the 3D in this film, as well as most, is more of a gimmick. See it in Imax to do the audio the true justice that it deserves. I have yet to go to a "normal" movie theater and have the bass be strong enough to shake the theater. The audio quality required to me of "IMAX" quality was made for this movie.

This also goes for movies like Star Trek, Dark Knight, and Avatar. Forget 3D, a proper audio setup is where its at.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

She's already got a main role in Cowboys and Aliens, has at least another role for certain, and there's been rumors about the new Alien movies too.
    It looks like she's made her breakthrough from TV to movies and isn't going to be known for only one appearance.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    My god, I hope she ages better ;)

I already loved gaze upon her during House, but she looked damn good in Tron. Not crazy about the hair style, but loved the body suit :D

I loved the haircut, clothes, everything. So damn hot :poly124: I'm a nerd, yes.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Virtuosic wrote: »
    If 1 hour in the grid = 1 second in the real world, than 8 hours in the grid (1 milicycle) would equal 8 seconds in the real world.

That would mean that there are 86,400 hours in the grid in 1 actual day in the real world.

Flynn was in the grid for 21 years. which equates to 662,256,000 Hours in grid time. which equals 75,600 years.

I think you messed the quote a smidge there :D
    Kevin says 1hr grid time = 1 min real world (not second)

1min real time = 1hr grid time

1 day = 1440min real time = 1440hrs grid time (approx 60 days on the grid)

1yr = 525,600min real time = 525,600hrs grid time (approx 21,900 days on the grid, 60yrs)

Kevin Flynn was stuck on the grid for 20 years.

525,600 * 20 = 10,512,000min real time = 1,200 years on the grid.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you messed the quote a smidge there :D
    Kevin says 1hr grid time = 1 min real world (not second)

1min real time = 1hr grid time

1 day = 1440min real time = 1440hrs grid time (approx 60 days on the grid)

1yr = 525,600min real time = 525,600hrs grid time (approx 21,900 days on the grid, 60yrs)

Kevin Flynn was stuck on the grid for 20 years.

525,600 * 20 = 10,512,000min real time = 1,200 years on the grid.

I remember milliseconds or cycles. Not hours for real world time.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I remember milliseconds or cycles. Not hours for real world time.

Yeah, he said it to Sam when they were having dinner in the outlands. When he was explaining the early grid and such.

"Hours... were just minutes back home."
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, he said it to Sam when they were having dinner in the outlands. When he was explaining the early grid and such.

"Hours... were just minutes back home."

He said something about the beam closing in 8 hours which was like a millisecond or cycle on the outside.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Lol no you guys are getting it wrong, its all about medichlorians! :D

Anyways - saw the movie again today, giving it a chance in Digital Projection 2D this time around and it was much, muuuuch better than in 3D. It just felt like a more solid movie altogether, no need for gimmicks. Even the Pirates of the Caribbean looked better this way. Sharper images and vivid colors plus no eyestrain. Screw 3D!

Gotta love the name of the street where the Arcade is located too hehe, thanks Peris for pointing that out, I saw it this time :D

The last CLU portion is still super dragging tho. Wish the movie ended with something more badass.

Anyways! Good stuff!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Gotta love the name of the street where the Arcade is located too hehe, thanks Peris for pointing that out, I saw it this time :D

Hmm? What was it? I totally didn't catch anything when I was watching it.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Its kinda funny. Usually I can easily ignore points like those but yeah overall they give the movie a so-so vibe. I think it's fine for new audiences, but I think it pales in comparaison to the original. The original Tron movie was much allegoric and abstract in nature and therefore made more sense in a way. Even derezzing looked more convincing in the original. Same for the laser deconstruction btw!! It goes so fast in Legacy, compared to the dramatic sequence of the old movie.

And the scene where Flynn, Tron and Ram all drink from Source Code (hehe) was cool and funny in the first one, but it wouldn't work at all in the new one and I think it's a bit of a shame....

Now it's as if the ID Disks are the only plot devices. I think Legacy missed out on the feeling of being inside a computer. For instance, not a single program introduces itself by explaining what its purpose his. This was much more clear in the first one. I feel like a lot of opportunities have been missed. Firewall, antivirus, 3D modeling, wysiwyg editor ... this would have been so cool to see! I guess Daft Punk were DAWs hehe! FL studio and Ableton :D

I think my major nitpick is about the name tricks tho. They used that two times, and thats two times too many ... First with Tron/Drizzler, then with the David Bowie guy ... meh.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first Tron movie tried to make it look like an entire world is inside every computer. Back then, they only had mainframes and no personal desktop systems, and very few people have ever touched a computer, let alone have any idea how it works. So it was OK to have some silly concepts like insurance programs having personalities or the inability to simply reinstall them after deletion.

But a lot has changed and today everyone is using PCs and even has pretty accurate ideas about their workings. So they wouldn't accept naive and silly stuff like the first Tron; that their instant messenger and Excel would engage in a deadly fight of freesbies every once in a while, not to mention kissing or drinking "energy". They're also familiar with what a virtual world is, ever since the Matrix came by, they can understand how one is supposed to work.

So the writers decided to reinvent the entire concept of the Grid.
    Encom's system was a unique one, a complex simulation, where the "programs" were AI entities, and it was somehow possible to digitize and insert a human being into their world and "run" it on the processors as well.
    After the first movie, Flynn took the existing Grid and expanded it, still using a mainframe to run the simulation, trying to explore what possibilities it can offer.
    Each character is still an AI program running on the main server, but now there's some justification for personalities, emotions, death, and even their religious views of the users who they now know to be their creators.
    Things now actually make sense, there is some actual logic in there - even if it's obviously far beyond the capabilities of our hardware and software.

There are also a few interesting ideas and stories in the new movie, but it once again fails to come together. Also, it's totally obvious and annoying that the writers held back on a lot of stuff so that they can easily make a sequel.
    Now that Flynn's killed off, Tron can take a bigger role; Clu can be replaced with the son of Dilinger (Cillian Murphy) as the villain; and maybe we could even learn what an Iso or any other program could actually do in the real world.
    But it seems that they should have focused on making this one movie better, the box office results don't look like there's a big future for a sequel before another 30 years...
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 15
    someone mentioned that the character Tron was used too sparingly. I disagree, I think it built up a kind of mystery around the character, it made him more of a legend than an actual "character" in the movie. I loved every bit of the movie and it inspired me TONS to make lots of new paintings. :)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I liked the Monolith Tron 2.0 game a lottttt more than Tron: Legacy the movie. The movie had some fun action and cool visuals but failed at bein epic, deep, or even feeling complete.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wtb TRON mmo...
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    wtb TRON mmo...

~ No thanks, Gir

I'm playing the game now, just to get more story, and these 3 colors over and over are already killing me. Tron was great but I could never stand 50+ hours of that color pallette without any form ending in sight.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wtb TRON mmo...

I see a massive fail like Matrix mmo with that.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Dang, really wish it did better at the boxoffice. Would've loved a sequel that can really stretch it wings..a lot of potential left by legacy..
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    It left me wondering so fucking much like:

6.Why did his dad blow up his 2nd version of The Grid

*warning spoiler*

The way i interpreted the end of the movie was that he only blew up the portal.

In the final scene you see rocks floating in the air, on the border of the sea and of coarse the portal off in the distance. When the blast goes off all the rocks in the air and portal are destroyed, but there are still rocks at the edge of the sea. This leads me to think he only got rid of the portal to make sure that no other programs could escape, IE MCP tribute flying ship thingy. the grid and all its inhabitants are still alive per-say IMO
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still spoiler

Besides, what would Sam backup at the end if the Grid was destroyed?
    Whether the simulation is still running on that portable drive or paused (more likely) is another question. We're only gonna find out if there is going to be a Tron3... Box office results aren't that good, although I've just been at an IMAX screening and it was still full. Looked nice too.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Entity wrote: »
    Yeah, kinda nice seeing how much of the game made it into the movie. For example in the game you play Alan's son, Jethro, who's pretty much a mirror of Sam. Both of their mom's died early too, although Lora (Alan's wife) died because of a digitizing accident. Game also mentions "Tron: Legacy", although it's a codename for an updated build of Tron :)

Actually I think that's from TRON: Killer App, a sequel planned by Disney during the 80's that never made it. I'm not entirely sure though but a lot of the stuff from that script was adapted into Tron 2.0. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the content from that script in this movie though.

As for the film: I loved it and I loved the story. I was expecting the movie to be filled with plotholes and a stupid plot that had nothing to do with the original movie but I was positively surprised. I was impressed by how much they had from the original. They even showed the small game&watch game Flynn was playing.
    I also loved how now CLU had gone from a simple insecure program(like in the first movei) to a blood-thirsty dictator(much like MCP). I was however expecting Dillinger to make a cameo of some sort or at least Sark but I guess his son will have to do. Would be cool to see him in a sequel though.
    What I didn't like however were the CG Flynn and Tron. Their faces just looked dead and their body movements were nothing like the actors'(Is that really Jeff Bridges playing the young Flynn with a 3d face? Looks more like some other actor with Bridges' face on him). The rest of the effects were however awesome.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I really enjoyed it for being just an enjoyable movie. sometimes you just have to watch movies as just entertainment and not get hung up on all the little plot points they dont get resolved in the 2hrs. If you want plot points resolved read a book.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clu is played by John Reardon; an ex-football guy who's been acting for a while.

clu2_plate_thumb.jpg
    http://www.fxguide.com/article666.html

Tron's both appearances are by a martial arts / acrobatics guy called Anis Cheurfa - it's well worth searching for some videos of his performances.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7iTcA3NG_w[/ame]
    It's like gravity gave up on him.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Weee poster came :)

2ezp9gj.jpg
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall I came away from it pretty unimpressed (and I didnt have high expectations). Visually it was a good looking film but the rest was trash.

My largest complaint with the movie was that the main character was absurd. Everything he did at the beginning of the film was unbelievable, it really pulled me out of the experience. Sorry, I can't buy into the fact that rich teenager = james bond.

My second gripe needs no explanation. OMGWTFCGFACE. No CG face no....I dont like you, get the hell out of my film. :poly118: Granted they did a great job, but still...no, just no.

overall, big Meh.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Haha, My main pet peeves were the fact that Flynns light cycle was just given away, and the second lightcycle Flynn jr picked up during the lightcycle scene was never used.

But overall, I loved it, so did the wife, so all good :)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    He couldnt use The second lightcycle since they only worked in the arena... or so quorra said when she saved him and the bad guys didnt follow.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    It only worked on the grid, or on grid-surfaces, not on the rough terrain outside, but why wasnt there one instance when that would come in handy? Like, after his lightcycle was destroyed, he had a backup...
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    I rather liked it.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There wasn't any place to use light cycles in the second part of the movie, after the club they've immediately boarded the solar sailer. And a ride would not have been much help on Clu's flagship either ;)