Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Killzone Kart

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Man! Thats a rad start! I'm diggin that rust underneath the engine. I've been waiting too long for this to be finished! Go GO GO!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Man! Thats a rad start! I'm diggin that rust underneath the engine. I've been waiting too long for this to be finished! Go GO GO!

Thanks man!

I dont want to make the textures too noisy so i been holding myself back from going to crazy with the wear and tear.

I think once i get around to doing a normal and spec pass and bring out the scratches and rusted bit the texture will look 100 times better :)

also ill try to get this done soon this thread has been around for too long :P

Cheers,

Arman
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    KillzoneKartWip10.jpg

Should have worked on this more during the weekend, but alas i was lazy :(

Not really liking the color of the wood right now might change it but ill wait until i get it in-game with some proper lighting.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    I dont think the textures are sharp enough. Also, for a killzone model, the colors look too bright and saturated.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey rooster kinda agree with you there, might go and darken the materials a bit and work with the levels once i have the texture finished.

Cheers,

Arman
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    Hey dude, looking good, really like the way the rear tires came out, lotta depth there homes! From the paint-over it looks like you are heading in the right direction. Keep going!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming together quite nicely. Can't wait to see it finished :D
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks guys :)

hope to have an update in the next day or two.

Cheers,

Arman
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Got the texture pretty much done, threw it into UDK to preview also.

a few quick notes it looks pretty shit now cause of the jaggies so ill be taking a tile shot in UDK to get rid of that issue.

Also the spec and normals for the rust chips dont seem to be showing up at all will work on that stuff tomorrow, once i get all those issues out of the way ill get working on the Crate and ground textures.

one more thing i still have to add is a cubemap to get some nice reflection on the metals :)

any suggestions are welcome:

KillzoneKartWip11.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since this is a small model, disable mipmaps. It'll make the textures sharper in the background.

not enough contrast in the specular. I mean, the scratched surfaces dont reflect enough light.

since the metal is blue (which I really like), then change the hue of the tires to red/orange (color of dirt). That way, they are more differentiated.

also, the metal sheet up top is too brick.

give an orange tinge to the woods specular. It'll make it feel a little more like wood.

redo your lighting. use a 3 point lighting system for this model.

also, play with post processing. killzone had a lot of chromatic aberration and noise. Add some slight DoF (the advanced sampling kind).
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/support-tech-discussion/13682-tutorial-chromatic-aberration-udk.html

Overall, its a good texture... but its NOT finished.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    since this is a small model, disable mipmaps. It'll make the textures sharper in the background.

not enough contrast in the specular. I mean, the scratched surfaces dont reflect enough light.

since the metal is blue (which I really like), then change the hue of the tires to red/orange (color of dirt). That way, they are more differentiated.

also, the metal sheet up top is too brick.

give an orange tinge to the woods specular. It'll make it feel a little more like wood.

redo your lighting. use a 3 point lighting system for this model.

also, play with post processing. killzone had a lot of chromatic aberration and noise. Add some slight DoF (the advanced sampling kind).
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/support-tech-discussion/13682-tutorial-chromatic-aberration-udk.html

Overall, its a good texture... but its NOT finished.

Awesome cirts man!

The spec isn't really showing at all because of it being blown out by the lighting , as i said above that and the cube map will help both bring out the spec and the metal areas so it doesn't look so much like concrete.

The top metal sheet is a little to bright and doesent fit with the rest of the model so ill be going in and making it darker.

i hope once i get to those areas the kart will look lets like movable concrete and more like metal :P

and one more thing i want to add is that i just threw this into a UDK scene didnt touch the lighting at all so there literally one light just blasting it :P

cheers,

Arman
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    played with DOF and lighting a bit, any better? im terrible with lighting :(

KillzoneKartWip12.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighting is good. But you need to increase the shadow quality.

In your light properties, make sure your Mod Shadow Color is black and that your Shadow Filter Quality is set to high. For your main light, I suggest you use a dominant directional light cuz it gives off sweet soft shadows and its a great sun sim. Under its properties, under lightmass setting, set Indirect Lighting Scale to 0.2, Indirect Lighting Sat to 1.0, Shadow Exponent to 2.0, and Light Source Angle to 0.2. The numbers are low enough to allow one or two small spot lights as long as ur brightness isnt higher than 2.0. When you do use multiple light, make sure not all of them cast shadows (its a check bock in the properties window).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_point_lighting

also, here's some lighting tuts that may help you out:
    http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Lightmass_Tutorial.html
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmass.html

Plus, ur red plastic looks too cloudy:
    http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/75chainsaw/100_1624.jpg
    http://blog.extremehowto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/October-23-2010-Chainsaw-and-tractor-003.jpg

Ur wood is purple, tho it may be because of the light you used. I suggest making the spec more orange... but I dont know if it'll have an effect.
    The wheels look good, but I would desaturate them or change the hue to get rid of that blue tinge. (make sure the spec for the tires isnt blue as well.
    In ur diffuse, u should blacken the end of the exhaust pipe.

I LOVE the texture on the engine, but the plastic needs to be fixed.

If you want a sexier DoF, I suggest you do the following:
    In the packages search tab in the content brouser, type in "hit" and open the FX_HitEffects package. Then open the UTPostProcess_Console. Select the "UberPostProcessEffect" and check "Enable Reference DOF" under the Advanced tab. It'll kill ur frame rate, but it makes for amazing DoF. :)
    Another effect that may benefit you is the Vignette MaterialEffect which is the node closest to the SceneRenderTarget. Select it, and make sure that "Show In Game" is check under the "Post Process Effect" tab.

The cloth is good, but I cant really see the texture on it. I suggest using a tilable texture for fibers. Just overlay with with low opacity.
    http://cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=3124&PHPSESSID=54aa8a78b10536e4e9acf3551f248317

Have a look at this for your final beauty shot.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxyNjguhnro[/ame]

Last thing, I dont know what you did to make the shadow purple, so I suggest you get rid of that.

Good luck! Cant wait to see it in all its glory. :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    KillzoneKartWip13.jpg

Rooster! damn homie nice crits!

im not sure what ill be doing as my shots in UDK suck as lighting is not my strength i might just have to use marmoset for now :(
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, marmoset did most of the tricks. :)

looks great. Just get rid of that blob around much of the model. Not sure what it is...
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    haha yeah, i think i need to play with UDK a bit more beofre trying anything in it which requires me to light as im not too good with it.

Ill tweak the blobby bloom and make the crate and then call this project done.

i wanted to make a scene with this but at this point i just want to start something else.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would agree with roostermap as he clearly meditated on this one, good job.

Arman you helghan beast, this would look at home in the game.

And that dof render is cool, too much Dof? But cool... redo.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    thanks willmac, glad that you think it would fit into the games :)

gonna try my darndest to get a good set up going hopefully ill have something to show in the near fututore :)
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    Wow I am really surprised how different it looks in Marmoset, those glows are really working for ya! Over all it is looking great, though the rear hubcap looks a little flat could try darkening rings or painting down some of those round parts, also darkening the red parts of the engine should give a bit more punch. Way to stick with it!
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Looks like Sexy in my eyes.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    haha thanks guys!

Yeah took in alot of crit today at work and will make most if not all the revisions needed to take this piece to the next level :)

Cheers,

Arman