Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Killzone Kart

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
Hey Guys!

Haven't posted much on the forums for awhile but I have a little project that I have been working on in my spare time and hopefully ill be able to complete it.

My goal for this project is to get the asset into CryEngine and get familiar with it and hopefully use the knowledge i learn off this piece to go into building a larger environment in that Crysis.

If all else fails ill just throw it into UDK :P

KillzoneKartWip01.jpg

I'm working of this concept that was made for killzone 2 by leading light: http://cghub.com/files/Image/042001-043000/42668/316_large.jpg

Because the image is pretty small and i cant see much i am taking some artistic liberties in certain areas.

Right now i still have a lot to do but hopefully ill have a ton more updates in the near future.

Cheers,

Arman

Replies

• achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    nice work so far ae - seems like competent modeling and topology - looks a bit bland at the moment - but you've yet to add the engine details/decals/busted and asymmetrical stuff, so i assume it'll look twice as awesome...

oh and a bit heavy on the chromatic abbr - i believe it's only meant to effect the edges of a still image/photograph - but it's affecting the middle as well?
    meh nitpicking.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah there's tons more to do which I am looking forward to :)

Also ill be sure to leave out the chromatic abbr in future posts.

Cheers,

Arman
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Worked on the KillzoneKart a bit more, a bunch of small changes that are not even noticeable.

I added the Tarp,Head lights, window rods, wooden bench/chair inside of the vehicle added a bunch of weld marks across the model but i dont want to go overboard with these so ill a more once i finish the high-poly.

Right now I'm just starting the engine so I don't think ill update until i get that done, Im having a lot of fun just going all out on this model.

Things i want to do with the model itself is to add more than is in the concept, the cockpit areas floor is very bear so i know i have a lot of work ahead of me in that area.

As achmedthesnake said i need to add alot more details/decals/busted and asymmetrical stuff.

For the Scene itself i don't just want to make this model i might make a little scene to go with it as well but i wont start that until i finish this off first :)

KillzoneKartWip2.jpg

Any critiques would be appreciated but i am still in the early stages of the high-poly so i don't Expect to many comments :P

Cheers,

Arman
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really digging what you're doing with your texture. I think right now though you're relying too much on the grey tone, which is killing the much needed hot pink and green tone... it may be just my monitor though, maybe someone can back me up... but if you heighten up the hot pinks and greens (maybe get a bit funky and add a nice warm orange as well) i think you have a winner.

Oh yuh... and the model makes me have wet dreams at night!

Kthxbai!
  • tyl3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty dope... i;m interested in seeing these "welds" and how you did them... just through max or did you take it into mudbox?

I agree with Jason, does look a bit dull... needs a dirt layer!

By the way, you live n Vancouver? Damn man that is a long drive to work everyday for ya...
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    NEEDS HOT PINK AND GREEN NOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay got your back!!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Haah you guys are dicks :P

@tyler: i teleport to work from my secret lair in vancouver, its pretty awesome :P
    the welds are pretty easy to do with max its mostly just tubosmoothing a simple shape and warping it by pushing and pulling virtices until you get your desired look.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    been slacking off lately but was able to do some early engine work:

Engine2.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking sick buddy!
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the pattern on the tires is modelled a bit too stiff/boxy, you might want to give it an
    ovaled ending instead. Also adding some high/mid-frequency details on the top tissue might be helpful! nice presentation!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Coming along nicely AE, great highpoly work.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good man. I agree with Maze that the tires are a little too boxy. Maybe move them down a little closer to the tire itself?
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    Interesting concept to work from ! I agree about the tires, and I would add that the wires/grill windshield thingies would need something to hold them in place better. The "windshield" pillars are sort of flimsy, even if it is that way in the concept, they wouldn't hold up very well in reality, (you could bend them with your bare hands) you should make them thicker IMO.

Anyways, looking forward to updates !
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    @jason&Brandoom:
    Thanks guys!

@Maze&Striff:
    I totally agree about the tires ill try to make them less rigid/boxy, i still need to rework the ones in the back also.

@Urbanmelon:
    i totally agree about the pillars that are holding up the windshield ill make sure to get some reinforcement in them so they don't looks so thin and easily bendable.

Ill hopefully have another update during the weekend :)
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Kick ass cart Man. Reminds me of Mad Max. Good Job
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks man hope to make it look more kickass as i add more detail to it :)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    i like it.
    COMPOSITION !!! hahah
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    watch your back hiten!!!!! ill see you monday at work :P
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Finished up the engine area and add a steering wheel and brakes and a bunch of other little things:

KillzoneKartWip3.jpg

I will focus on the crits that were given to me above tomorrow and fixing everything that doesn't look right :)

Cheers,

Arman
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Hmm looks good to me, the only little nitpicking I could think of is that the dents on the exhaust look a bit too smooth.

Other than that, nice work :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    It looks really nice. There are a lot of forms in there that look like solid blocks of steel which isn't how anything mobile is built since it would be too heavy. It would be nice if you could see more of the actual construction like show how parts are made of sheet metal, or areas of metal that have been cleared out to save weight. I attached some quick examples of what I mean.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Im Alive!

Its been awhile since my last update but been busy with work and have just been relaxing when i come home.

I want to get this model done so i can move on to another model that I started up a few days ago, but I need to start getting stuff done so im gonna finish this off :P

Just a few small tweaks to the highpoly nothing too major im calling the High done and gonna move onto the Low-Poly :)

KillzoneKartWip6.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I have no idea why this thread hasn't gotten more attention. This model's very well detailed, rendered beautifully and it's pretty unique to boot. Keep going; I can't wait to see the low-poly.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please post how you go about rendering in this lighting/mats, thank-you.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome details man! Im loving the dents and details!
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great so far. Love the details and the break-up of them, you've done a good job in restraining the amount of detail. The banged up exhaust thing at the front is awesome and I like what you did with the rear wheels. It's a really interesting vehicle design.

I think the only thing that's sort of bothering me is the boxiness of the front. The engine itself looks really good, but the front panel with the light looks too 'boxy'. It adheres closely to the concept but perhaps adding an area where it bends inward to accommodate for the light placement. I don't know, I'm sure the texture will help.

Looking forward to seeing how you do the low-poly. Great job so far..
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work man, i've been wanting to do Killzone props. I been playing Killzone 3 beta to get some inspiration and you sir just gave me some more! I love it and have no crits for you. Keep it up and I wish you the best on the low poly :)
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    its kinda lookin decent duder... lacks a certain pizazz though, for your sake hope textures will fix that problem ;D
    and im still not buying it
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Looks amazing, really nice work.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    @Swizzle: Thanks man I appreciate it especially coming from you :)

@Samgriffiths: I use this tutorial to get my renders check it out its really awesome : http://www.artemstudios.com/08Portfolio/Tutorial/MaterialRenderingTut.htm

@Kaburan/Luke/aajohny: Thanks guys!

@Paulsvoboda: I agree with the boxiness of the front but im hoping that the texture will help define that area.

@mat: I expect you to buy this vehicle as soon as im done for 100 billion dollars!

Cheers guys im working on the lopoly as we speak hope to get an update up asap.

-Arman
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »
    Im Alive!

Its been awhile since my last update but been busy with work and have just been relaxing when i come home.

I want to get this model done so i can move on to another model that I started up a few days ago, but I need to start getting stuff done so im gonna finish this off :P

Just a few small tweaks to the highpoly nothing too major im calling the High done and gonna move onto the Low-Poly :)

KillzoneKartWip6.jpg

Looking sick man, you have this weird orange thing on the front of your model though, I thought everything was suppose to be grey?

WHATSUPWITHDAT!?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    looks great! i love how accurate the style is.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    This is looking great man. Love the detail. Can't wait to see the low poly/texture
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Really awesome modeling, super clean. Have you thought about maybe adding a payload to this, maybe a large metal container? I see the concept doesnt have any, so you could use your obvious skill to match the style. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to do and would really help push its function for the viewer. With or without, I cant wait to see this textured
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    ENODMI wrote: »
    Really awesome modeling, super clean. Have you thought about maybe adding a payload to this, maybe a large metal container? I see the concept doesnt have any, so you could use your obvious skill to match the style. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to do and would really help push its function for the viewer. With or without, I cant wait to see this textured

I was playing through the Killzone 3 beta and saw a few objects i could riff on to get something to go in there.

Once im done ill see if i have time and probably add something like that, thanks for the idea :)

Cheers,

Arman
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    mans you gotta stop posting without updates... dashes the hopes of seeing mores
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmm, that is what i think about it ae! Hmmmmm!
    Sure are a lot of parts in there, but hard work pays off, looks really nice buddy.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    @mat: hey man im almost there dont worry!

@rens: yeah i hope that all the detail i put in comes out good in the normal map :)
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    I love it! Very unique design!
    Looking forward to the updates
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    looking good dude, finished that biach up!
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    can't wait to see the baked version ! great work man ;)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Just in time for Killzone 3, i have baked the low-poly:

KillzoneKartWip7.jpg

There is a ton of errors i need to fix, also not included is the wires and flimsy cage shield.

rendered in the 3point shader which is awesome :P
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    i love it. and you.
    killzone 4 life !!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice!

The white from the ao is rather strong.
    photoshop > ao on "multiply" ontop of a grey(ish) layer to create a more natural/default material.

Since the tri count is already a bit up,
    I would defenitly add a few boxes to bake those plateing bits onto, instead of having it normalmapped. Just as some parts above the front wheel. Or even the fronttires themselfs, see how much you need to create that cause you worked hard on this, you do not want to cut that low poly short :P

Great work man :D
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    @Mistry: hahah thanks man, make sure to play killzone 3 before getting killzone 4 :P

@Rens: Thanks for the crit man ill look into that, i do agree the white on AO is a bit strong ill be sure to tone that down.

also the tri count is ridiculous but ill be trying to tone that down as i optimize the model.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am digging this model and concept! Good work. Are you texturing this? I would also echo the cargo thing... as without it, is an odd/cool shape, with it, it would make perfect sense, if the viewer hadn't seen killzone.

Nice website btw, "working as an environment artist at...", spotted it so just mentioning it.

Killzone 3 beta was a nice map, weapons seemed tighter. Cannot wait to get 3.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Willmac thanks for the comments, and yes ill be texturing this object and hopefully have enough time to throw a crate inside of it.

cheers,

Arman
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    alright, the bake is top notch, but im not too happy with the cloth. I mean, it looks ok, but isnt as high quality as the rest of the model. I would add more convincing folds and stuff. Ur folds are too large (they're more like waves than folds). I would isolate the cloth, and remodel and bake it. Then splice it back into the normal/AO map.

Also, on the main bar on the top of the model that divides the front and back end needs rivets or screws. I highly doubt a single plate of metal is holding that thing together.

I know im being picky, but its honestly the only advice I can give you. The rest is perfect. :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the feedback rooster ill take that into consideration when i move onto the cloth :)

quick ninja texture update:
    KillzoneKartWip8.jpg

Its still really wip and a lot of what i have done so far needs another pass, Once i have all the sections textured i can go back and make everything pop!