Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval cellar - UDK

Replies

• Szark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Szark polycounter lvl 12
    Personally I think those columns could do with a bit more work, but great work either way! :)
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    This is defiantly a killer piece. The lighting makes sense and is done very well, but I might like to see a shot with sunlight coming through the windows, so that the bounce light would make the whole environment is brighten up a bit, because you lose a lot of your awesome detail work from all the darkness. If you never come back to this piece, you would be fine. Again amazing work!!
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont really like the 100% black colors there.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    I like what you have done so far! I dig the overall feeling you got going here. I know you were shooting for wine cellar and I think you nailed it but that's a pretty big place! I would like to see a few more assets within like; possibly a rack for armor or weapons, maybe a shelf for some wine bottles, a table or two stacked with parchments or books...

Just my 2 cents. Looks pretty awesome though! Keep it up!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Especially, thanks for pointing out the extremely harsh lighting. I'm working from home at the moment and I'm using a different monitor than I was previously. I compared how it looks like on my sister's laptop and it turns out that my monitor is completely screwed up. Once I calibrate it and fix the postprocessing I will reupload the pics.

Sorry about that.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    still think your lighting is too busy too many elements and not enough bounce to take your eyes around the scene....will holfd judgemet for better shots
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I definitely think the original amount of ambient you had here was looking really nice. I would go back to that so you don't have pitch black corners, and tone down contrast at same time. Scene itself looks real nice and I like the painterly style. Pushing for those final tweaks ultimately pays off, nice work.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    I'm glad you're finishing this one off :D. Was really enjoying watching the progress.
    I agree that at the moment there's way too much contrast and some of those pitch blacks are really killing the scene. I understand, it gets very hard with changing monitors to control all these things.
    I love the blue night light coming in and the contrast you have between those areas, the darker parts, and the yellowish areas by the fires are looking great.
    I think a mix between the scene kaburan pointed to and this one here would work really well.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    It is really good, but the 100% black bits are really noticable. There would be a little diffuse lighting going on back there.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies and your patience guys :) I only wanted to drop in and mention that I'm revamping my lighting setup (pretty much from the scratch) as we speak and I will try to take advantage of all input you've given to me.

I will post some progress later on - hopefully tomorrow if everything goes well.

Thanks a lot guys :)
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lighten up a bit the dark areas i cant tell what is there and change the lights color to more yellowish .. i dont think fire emanates that color hue...
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duxun: Thanks for the reply; the new lighting is much softer and less contrasty than before. I hope that this one will be more to your liking :)

Anyway, here are the goods. Hope you'll like them better, guys :)

medievalcellardamianlaz.jpg

I'm still open towards hearing more suggestions; my monitor is pretty much screwed up so I will have to make final adjustments once I get my old one back.

Thanks!
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, new lighting makes a big difference. I liked it before, I thought the lighting reflected the style you had going...however, this new lighting is much better. I really like it a lot more. Amazing piece. I think youve done a great job on this and yes, youre never going to fully appease everyone..so when you think youre done, stop. Start something else. Cant wait to see what you do next. Again, great job man.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    The new lighting makes it a whole lot better than it already was, congrats.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muuuuch better lighting for sure!!
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    overall better for sure, but two things bother me:

1. for that amount of torches, its kinda dark
    2. WHY where is a SHADOW on the wall, right behind every torch? this is just ridiculous :poly127:
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Bring the hotspot up for the torches a tad and call it finished. It looks 100x better. Nice job, this is solid portfolio work.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There it is, awesome work. I could see smoke stains above the torches on the wall.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    The new lighting is great and just what it needed. Beautiful work!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Agreed, new lighting is tits!

ONE comment, before you call it done, take it or leave it - you need 1 more element of strong color to break up the overall brown feeling. A red piece of cloth draped over a barrel, a green sack of apples, something!!

Great work!

-Tyler
  • rustim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rustim polycounter lvl 10
    Lighting definitely showing off the room much better now, though it is maybe still a tad too dark. Also, my eye is drawn a bit by the moonlight cast onto the ground, maybe soften it up and reduce the hue slightly?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies guys :) I didn't expect so many positive reactions, haha.

Moreso, thanks for all your suggestions; I liked all of them and I will try to tweak the scene later on.

Thanks!
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Nothing reallys useful to say :D
    It's awesome!
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this new lighting really helps tell the story of you cellar. however the light coming from the windows on the left should probably have slight lightshafts to simulate lighting coming from the windows and to the ground.. other than that i love the feel of this..

Cheers..
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wondering did you blend the plaster and brick in Photoshop or is it a material setup within the UDK.

If it is a material setup is it possible to see your nodes?
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome :poly142:

The only thing that bother me are the flames. They look a bit "cheap" to me.

good job :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Thanks for all the comments and sorry for the late reply; it's been ages since the last time I updated this thread.

I will certainly have another go at this scene once my schedule is less busy; atm I'm focused mostly on my uni.

Boyo: Thanks man :)

duxun: Cheers. The things you mentioned are already fixed, but I haven't had a chance to post my most recent progress. I will try to make some shots later on.

Shiraz: It's a material that uses vertex colour and blend-masks; it's based on a material done by Chris Albeluhn, although slightly changed. I will post the shots later on.

Cremuss: Yeah, I'm not too happy with them either. I'm not too experienced with particles, but I will make some adjustments once I read some more about the topic.
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aah awesome, Thanks man.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Nice job on this man :)
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome work would love to know what you did to get this lighting
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    Really sexy stuff there! Love the moonlight and the torch light. Just wow.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    looking pretty swell! You should add some purple on your shadows to make them more prominent, instead of the black. Colored shadows always add more to your scene. But i like this so far. good job!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the positive feedback guys :) Didn't realize people were still looking at this thread. I finally found the time to sit down and tweak my lighting and post processing. Here are the results. I tried to make the scene should be a tad lighter while keeping the contrast between shaded and lit areas. I haven't checked it on any other monitors so let me know if you spot anything strange.

damianlazarskimedievalc.jpg

glottis8: I would love to do that, but for some odd reason changing the Environment Colour affects only the meshes close to the walls. I had this error (or is it meant to be that way?) for a few months now and have yet to see a solution. I will try to post some images later; perhaps someone will be able to help.

HughieDM: Thanks mate :thumbup: There are 2 strong, Dominant Spotlights hitting the scene from outside. I have placed some weak Point Lights where the torches are; they have a relatively low radius, brightness and IndirectLightingSaturation set to something around 0.6. Indirect Lighting Bounces, in the World settings, is set to 5. The rest is done via colour grading. Just do some experimenting; Lightmass can be extremely tricky sometimes ;)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I guess you can add some actual lights with low radius and intensity with a minus value.. to create them... you just need the hint of it i guess... i'll look for some solutions to your problem though. Be back with some info when i get another break from work.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the new lighting, its smoother for the eyes, maybe just a little more yellow from the torches, but other than that the overall colorcomposition is great!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Love this new update!
    Very happy to see you wrapping up this project. Will be a superb add to your folio of amazing work.
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to have some FPS fun in that level!!! GJ
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    It looks really great teaandcigarettes (I will just call you Mr Tea from now on). The only thing that I would definitely tweak is the look of those wine bottles, their solid, flat black color makes them pop out, they look like they've been drawn with a marker over your image, they need some reflections on them I think. Also some very slight vignettage would be good.

Really great work !
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I don't like the new lighting at all. It's desaturated and looks like something from Gears of War. You had such beautiful colours going on in your last pictures that really opened my eyes and made me think wow.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    really good but the ground is really filled with big stones and the whine doesn't fill the area between the stones...it looks that the whine is floating a bit over the ground.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Habboi on this one. Literally every word he wrote :)
    I think the new lighting doesn't benefit the assets/scene at all. But others seem to like it, so who knows
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I like the previous lighting as well, a lot more. I'd keep the cloth on the barrels though, looks cool. Also put back that torch further back on the wall next to the window, IMHO it tied that area together.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic work!
  • Covin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Realy good mood and atmosphere.
    But for even better atmosphere i advice to add a bluish light beam (for a fast try you can use the light beam from the udk examples) that came from the windows and some particle for the fire effects.
    An info, the bottles are textured or not?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys :)

Raul, Spitfire, Shepeiro, ae.: Thanks a lot guys! Thanks for the kind words.

glottis8: Thanks for the ideas. I already have some fill lights placed in the scene; there are some low-intensity point lights placed close to the darkest areas as well as a pinkish-skylight. I tried increasing their intensity before but that just makes the whole scene washed out. I did some experimenting end it seems that the blackness comes from the baked AO; unfortunately I haven't found a way to change its default, black colour. Environment Color on the other hands doesn't seem to affect enclosed areas.

Firebert: Cheers! There's still plenty of things that I would like to change here; in fact, the more I look at it the more I would like to get. But yeah, I could do that till the end of the world, so I better wrap it up soon and do that folio :poly142:

DarkStar: Thanks mate. I was actually thinking of classic, isometric RPG's when I was making it. I will try to make some roofless shots later on ;)

Urbanmelon: Good point. I forgot to plug my Fresnel block into the emissive slot :poly136: That should be fixed now.

Habboi, Acumen, felipefrango: Thanks for the crits, guys :). While I'm still trying to find the right balance I will probably stick with the muted look; the last image was saturated way too much for my taste. I brought back some saturation in this update so I hope that's a bit more to your liking. Regarding that turned light; I felt that it made the scene a little bit too busy, personally I think it's slightly more balanced now.

SimonT: Yeah, that bugs me a bit too. Unfortunately, I am unsure what would be the best method to deal with that.

Covin: Thanks. Truth is that I had volumetric light for ages now but it's just barely visible from that angle. I reduced its transparency so it should be more pronounced now. The bottles are not textured; they use a reflective material (Cubemap plugged into the diffuse) with strong spec and Fresnel plugged into its emissive channel. Nothing too fancy; but since I know next to nothing about material-hocus-pocus I would dare to say it does a fairly good job :P

Anyways, here's the latest update. I will probably leave it like that for now and focus on my other projects.

damianlazarskimedievalc.jpg
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    That bottle trick is so dirty, I love it.

Looking good, whenever you come back to it I would paint some dirt variation into the barrels, but top notch stuff =).
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Damn I love this bloom effect, reminds me of Thief: Deadly shadow. :(