Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval cellar - UDK

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Wow. That ceiling looks nearly identical to the one I am making for my own environment. Once you get the brick in that is. It's pretty ridiculous. For those ribs, did you go about making a unique texture for them? Or did you make a single rib brick and have it tile along?
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    man, this looks phenomenal
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Great work so far. I would find a nice way to bring out the dark corner on the lower right a bit...
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for the fog are you using a grey color? because if you are its flattening your walls...
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    haiddasalami: Thanks! I would love to get some more info on this. I'm not too good with the technical stuff but it would be great if I could understand how it's done.

aww man totally forgot. Will do either today or on friday before I reformat my computer. New scene is looking wicked and cant wait to see the updates :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad to hear some positive comments :)

Regarding the dark areas; I will try to play around with my Lightmass settings and reduce my ambient occlusion. If that doesn't help I will add some more lights here and there as suggested.

Prophecies; Yeah, I scultped a bunch of bricks, baked that onto a plane and tiled it across the ribs. I might have to add more weathering though since all those chipped edges turned out to be much smaller than I thought.

duxun: My fog has a slightly blueish colour; I felt it was necessary to kill off those overpowering red hues in my previous updates. I have also changed my Indirect Lighting settings, which in fact are the major culprit. However, this turned out as I wanted it to; I felt that my walls were far too bright in my previous updates.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work TnC.

I really like the new ceiling, looks great. The lighting is really nice as well - great contrast.

The open door is interesting too, maybe you could dress it up some how.. have a body or something laying in the shadows? I don't know, just something to give it some sort of story rather than it being just a cellar.

Other than that, I don't really have anything to crit... maybe the light emitting from the torches is a bit too yellow? As opposed to orange or red.

Great work non the less :)
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad to hear some positive comments :)

Prophecies; Yeah, I scultped a bunch of bricks, baked that onto a plane and tiled it across the ribs. I might have to add more weathering though since all those chipped edges turned out to be much smaller than I thought.

I don't think extra weathering would be necessary. The cellar is indoors, sheltered and everything else seems like it is in good condition. Extra wear wouldn't make that much sense in my opinion. Looks awesome though! Keep it up!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a small update; I've been working on a brick texture which will be blended with the plaster. Highpoly sculpt is pretty much done; I only have to fix some minor tiling issues.

bricks.jpg

Brandon, Prophecies; thanks for the replies, guys. I will write you a proper response once I wake up. I am afraid that I'm far too much tired to do it now.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Apologies for not posting any updates, but I have been extremely busy over the past week.

Anyways, I have finally baked some bricks and messed around with vertex blending on the walls and ceiling.

I will try to finish that door over the weekend.

85649953.jpg
    30166203.jpg
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skayne wrote: »
    Wow that texture came out good. However the lights are so bright I'm not really buying the pitch black shadows. Could be just too much AO?

Ceilings look great. Really nice environment so far.

Cheers Skayne!

I still have to fix some minor tiling issues. Does anyone have any tips on creating tilable normal maps in Zbrush? I've been generating displacement maps, removing the seams and displacing my geo back again before baking it down. Unfortunately some seams are still visible; I could easily edit my normals in Photoshop but I would like to know if there is a faster way to do that.

AO is something I still have to work on - Lightmass settings are giving me a headache. I will spend some time with Visualize Ambient Occlusion turned on and see what can be done. I've been playing around FullyOccludedSamplesFraction and OcclusionExponent before, but all I have managed to do was killing my lighting.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    This is too goddamned shiny! Cuuuuurse yooooouuuuuuu! *shakes fist*
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really gorgeous, one thing is that I feel more could be done with the cobblestone floor, doesn't feel like it's at the same fidelity level as the rest of the piece (please forgive me if this has already been covered, I didn't read all the posts).
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great progress!!!

one question though the brick textures on your floor,ceiling, and walls i feel like you could give them more color variation because right now their all gray.. im pretty sure thats not the color your gonna stick with but just wondering if its final...
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix: Haha, cheers mate :)

James9475: I see what you mean, in fact it was starting to bother me as well; that texture does seem a bit out of place. I'll see what can be done, perhaps I will simply replace it with some bigger stones encompassed in dirt (kind of like here)However, I will also have to tweak my other floor texture; the stones look a bit too clean at the moment, I will try to get back to my HP and beath them up a bit more.

duxun: Thanks :)

While the ceiling is pretty much done, the walls need a bit more love; as you noticed, the bricks have the same values as the plaster. This is only temporary as the whole material has yet to be finished.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Doing a great job T&C. Fix the floor bring down the lights a tad, add a bit more of the contrasting light source (windows) and you're golden...
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Whoa lookin nice. How did you go about doing the barrels? A highpoly first? And if possible could you show the flats for them, looks awesome sauce :)#

Edit: Saw your first post :P, could I see some texture flats whenever you get time? Looks truly amazing.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont: Thanks mate :)

I have managed to tweak the lighting a bit; been testing different Lightmass settings for the whole day and I believe the scene looks a bit better now. Will post an update tomorrow, once I replace that floor texture.

Mr Bear: Cheers :)

To some extent, almost all assets in the scene are using normal maps baked from HP meshes. Some of them have unique UV's and were baked directly from HP's (barrles, trims, pillars), while the rest uses tilable normal maps that were extracted from the meshes sculpted in Zbrush or Mudbox. I will post a more detailed breakdown once I'm done with all major props. I'm still planning to put some smaller props here and there, but these will probably use tilable textures.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    love the wall textures. ao is a bit dark, but overall it looks very good.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Loving it! And your brick texture technique is very clever. I can't wait to see this finished!
  • Czar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That ceiling is gorgeous, but what's with the black being gray in your images? Or is it just my monitor? Or just a temp thing?
  • Szark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Szark polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome work, love it! :)

Are you going to add a 'boss' where the ribbing intersects? Example

Keep it up!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    This has progressed nicely. Keep it up.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking awesome, my only nitpick would be the AO is a little too strong in some areas where theres direct light sources.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    love the barrels. wish there was more variety on them tho. how about some that are broken?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Teaandcigarettes,

Got my computer to work (YAY) Now that I look at my hackjob think I can improve on this/ start again. Anywho:

MaterialWindow.png

effect.png
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thank you for all replies and my apologies for the horribly late reply. I've been terribly busy over the past two weeks and didn't have the time to work on this scene until now. I'm still keeping your suggestions in mind, though I'm not sure if I will be able to include all of them before I leave on holidays next week. Nevertheless, as soon as my PC arrives, I will continue pimping out this scene.

Here's the progress I've made during the past few days. I have decided to redo my lighting, replaced that cobble stone texture with something more fitting, added door and remade my LUT file. While I know that many of you complained about the insanely strong AO, I couldn't get rid of it without making the scene look too flat. Instead, I've changed my approach a bit and added more lights; I've been trying to get a better contrast between lit and shaded areas, without overblowing the latter. Hopefully, with some nice suggestions I will be able to push the lighting even further.
    Here are the pics. I hope they're not too dark - my monitor is quite light.

highresscreenshot00044.jpg

Looking forward to your comments guys :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know what else needs fixing. Theres some good contrast and loving the purple hues in the scene. My only crit ould be toning down the blown out lights on the wall. You dont even see the fire anymore.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I was wondering how you achieved that really intense glow you had going earlier. I'm currently at the lighting stage of my scene, and I'm trying to figure out how to get a nice glowy light effect. Not bloom, but a glow where the light source originates from. Any hints?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami: Cheers, you've made a good point. I will tone down those lights a little bit. Also, I think that the light coming through the window needs to be toned down as well.

Prophecies: There's not much to it really; it's a combination of bloom and colour grading. Try to bump up your hightones a little bit and see if it helps.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really kick ass work man. coming along nicely. the lighting really sells it
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great progress..

have you considered adding webs all over the place to give this a cellar an aged look ??

im still getting and overall gray color for your ceilings ,walls, and ground.. would like to see more color variation ... IMHO...

Cheers...
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty slick!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    beautiful! I would add a banner or flag on the wall to bring more color into the scene.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice BUT... not feeling the lighting...looks good...but to me it sells it as fake, as though its lit by electric torches not flame....

the strongest light should be the daylight by quite a bit (but maybe not so saturated and not so purply a touch more green...the torch light shouldnt be quite as strong the flames should be visible ontop of the most lit bit of wall...ATM i think its too yellow maybe more like this

and those flames are a bit cacky deffinatly turn the brightness down to get better colour...and the torches look like cement (untextured) make em dark with a good spec

I really liked the way you had light coming from the door ages ago...it provided a strong rim light ESP on those nice cobbles and really helped give the scene more focus...tell a story...would be cool if there was maybe an abandoned item/s on the floor that would be a clue...say a couple of glasses an empty bottle of wine and some discarded clothes
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow Shepeiro. The quality of your critiques has always impressed me. And once again, I agree with you. The flames seem too white to me, it gives off a cold bleak feeling, as opposed to a warm cozy feeling. Of course, that depends on the look you want, but it seems to me like the scene is washed out in a sense. It just seems to lack those vibrant colors. Then again, it may be what you are going for.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    if so light like real then postfx to desat colour gradient....its the non destructive way of working
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What if there was some wine spilled on the ground from the barrel thats lying on the ground now?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies :)

AnimeAngel: Cheers mate.

duxun: Thanks duxun, some webs would be a great touch and I have thought about this before. Unfortunately, I don't know if I will manage to do them by the end of the weekend (I'm sending my PC home soon) so I might have to leave that until later on.

Torrrtilla: Cheers!

roosterMAP: That might be a good idea; I've been thinking of adding some green tones to the scene, banners might work well for that.

SHEPEIRO: Thanks a lot for the crits, you've made some great points about the lighting.

I've toned down the lights coming from the torches and scaled them down a little bit more. I've tweaked the flames as well; they should look a lot better now.

I've also played around with the window lights; they've been giving me a headache for a while now, since I've had problems with getting the settings right. I didn't intend it to be a sunlight but moonlight. However, I see now that the way it looked was suggesting the former. I've done some tweaks to it today; made it stronger, but slightly darker and more saturated. I'm much more happier with it now, though there are some nasty artifacts I have to get rid of.

You're right about the focal point, ever since I removed that old door the scene has been lacking in this area. I will either change the composition or add a little bit more junk to the scene; probably both . Unfortunately, that will have to wait until I get my PC back. For now, I would like to get the lighting right and finish the remaining, untextured assets (torches, bags).

haiddasalami: Nice idea :) A highly reflective decal would do the trick.

highresscreenshot00045.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, amazing progress since i last peeked in on this thread.

You might consider playing with the light coming in through the bars from outside more. You can take a screenshot of one of the windows head on, isolate the the open areas where light comes in within a black and white image and create a light function out of it so you have some bluish light pouring in. Think of 'em as a decal only they're layed on by actual lights.

Here's a tutorial on light functions if you want to check it out, they're pretty easy to manage if you've never tried them before, just make sure you enable light functions on the light properties:

http://book.hourences.com/tutorialsue3lightfunction.htm

And a quick paintover:

po.jpg

Would help break up the flat browns a bit.

Killer stuff! oh and give those sacks some more love of course ;)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks crazyfingers :)

I have experimented with something like this before; placing a spotlight close to each window has given very similar results. I liked how it looked, but wasn't sure how realistic it would be to use Spotlights for a moonlight (as opposed to using Directional Light) . I will play around some more tomorrow and post the results; I can easily revert back after all.

and yeah, sacks have to be replaced; I've already done the highpoly, but I have yet to get off my lazy ass and do retopo :p
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, this project is back from the dead - I've been planning to make an update before , but since I'm chilling out at home at the moment my work has been rather irregular.

Here's the latest progress on the scene; I'm pretty much done with it though I would like to hear some final suggestions before I call it finished.

There are some wierd splotches of light here and there (the ones above the window are the most noticable ones); any tips on how to get rid of these will be greatly appreciated. They don't appear when I zoom in, so I take it's a mip-mapping issue.

medievalcellardamianlaz.jpg

Thanks!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing!! I love these type of environments along with fantasy ones.

Nice work!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Are you building on production? If not that could help get rid of any artifacts in lightmaps.

I think you should add a hint of fog in the room, it would help add depth to the scene, It should be super faint but something to just grey out the distant walls slightly.

It may be tricky but it'd be cool if you could emphasize the moonlight bouncing from the floor by increasing indirect lighting scale on that light.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys :)

Jordan: Thanks! Yeah, the bake was done on production which is why it's odd I'm getting these sorts of issues. However, I did a second bake with Use Two Sided Lighting turned on for that mesh and most of these splotches have disappeared.

I added some fog as you suggested and I'm currently playing around with the moonlight. I will post the results later on.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking really really cool man!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto: Cheers man :) Glad to hear you like it.

Here's an updated version, I have managed to remove all the lighting errors and added some subtle fog. I have also increased the Indirect Lighting scale setting. I could bump it even more, though it's set to 3 at the moment and I'm afraid that taking it further may affect other lights too much.

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhhh now that is looking great! I love the lighting and the subtle moonlight! High quality work! How much left is there to do?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Prophecies :) I can't really say what more I want to add; I've been doing this piece for ages now and I would like to move on and try something new. I'm getting sick of it to be honest, haha.

I've been thinking of adding some grunge and other subtle details; small stones and bits of plaster laying on the ground, cobwebs, piles of dust, etc. I also want to work on the material definition some more.

Apart from that I need to play around with the assets I've got so far and use them to create a few more shots.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, I've decided to call this piece done. As much as I would like to pimp it out a little bit more, I think it will be better if I move on and try out something new.

Overall, I could say that this has been time well spent; I'm quite happy with the results and I have managed to radically improve my high-to-low workflow; almost all objects/textures were baked down from highpoly meshes.

However, I have also noticed some issues regarding the way I work. As soon as I move past the blocking-out stage, I spend far too much time working on individual assets, ignoring the big picture. For instance, those cobblestones have went through five (or even more) iterations before I decided to use the final sculpt. Likewise, I had to go back and forth and improve some of the assets to maintain a stylistic consistency.

While this approach is not wrong in any way, I would like to avoid it in the future. More planning during the blocking out stage, should allow me to carry on my work much smoother.

Sorry for this rant, but I hope that my discoveries will help someone as well.

Thanks for all the help guys! I truly appreciate it :)