Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Captain Nemo's office

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Don't know if this could help, there a nautilus replica sort of in Disneyland Paris.
    Some pics of the interior there
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=disneyland+nautilus#page=0
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Gosh! I am a really big fan of your bronze and overall metal texture, ie: your walls. Anyway you can grace us with some texture sheets? Really looking foreward to you finishing this.

Thanks, man. After extensive tweaking, the metal effect on the helmet (particularly the oxidized copper) was really simple to achieve. I started with a dark brown base diffuse, and a light kinda peach spec, and then tweaked levels until I got the values I wanted. After that, I sampled a green from an image of verdigris, and used a splatter brush with opacity and angle scatter to add the oxidization effect.

Horribly-messy flats:

textureflat.jpg

The texture on the helmet doesn't look that bad, it does look a bit low res for 1024 and the seam at the back is a bit noticeable. You should post some wires of the helmet and how many sides are those bolts?
    Thanks. Between my wife being diagnosed with MS and some complications with my immigration paperwork, plus being a little disillusioned with 3D in general, it feels good to be working and learning again.

As for the resolution of the texture, I kinda agree. I wanted to go for a slightly-worn look to the overall textures, and I think I need to pay closer attention to the brush dynamics I'm using, as some of the surface wear doesn't look as sharp as it should. I'm pretty sure I also forgot to level some of the layers, as well as Unsharp Mask, so that'll need some fixin'.

And yeah, that seam is pissing me off. My own damn fault for doing such a shoddy job unwrapping and laying out the UV shells. :poly127:

I know I could optimize this further, but my initial plan was to make something that looked better than my previous models, and even though the bolts are a little indulgent (eight-sided, single capped by the way), I thought, well, fuck it. I also specified it was 8k tris, when it's actually 8k polygons - that'll learn me for not sleeping.... The presentation sheet is pretty much a placeholder until I can drop $30 on the font I want to use, and the model is properly finished.

Wireframe:

wireframeb.jpg

This is awesome. Helmet is looking good too, I like the oxidation on the copper especially. I would expect a hell of a lot more water damage on the other parts though. Especially considering this is something made of metal and goes underwater. Maybe even some seaweed hanging, or a starfish stuck on some area.
    Thanks, John, appreciate the feedback. Although I love the idea of a starfish clinging to the helmet (might be a way to hide that ugly seam at the back, hehe), I've tried to achieve a look of used and a little worn, but it is supposed to be a functioning diving helmet, as opposed to a discovered relic.

That was one of my biggest problems when looking for reference images - all the diving gear I seemed to find were either recently recovered from the bottom of the ocean after decades underwater, or reconditioned pristine antique collectibles. I kinda like where it's going, though, and thanks again.
    The bake looks slightly messy though; there is some nasty colour bleeding (or is that supposed to be dirt?) at the edges of the helmet. It makes it look like you don't have enough padding.
    Cheers, Damian! You're right, it's a sloppy bake. Ordinarily, it wouldn't be a big deal to go and fix it up in 'Shop, but I really didn't think about this kinda thing when I unwrapped it (as you can see), and as such fixing those errors is going to take much longer than it should. Let's be honest, it's a fucking terrible UV layout, but valuable lesson learned, so it's not a complete bust.
    Don't know if this could help, there a nautilus replica sort of in Disneyland Paris.
    Thanks, man, and yeah, already got those saved to my reference folder. I swear, I must have every usable image of the Nautilus on the entirety of the internet saved to my HD...still, the attention to detail and craftsmanship of the engineers working on these attractions is really impressive. Thanks, though!

Thanks for everyone's feedback and input - you guys are fucking awesome.
  • Artimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, guys, AWESOME work here!
    I hope anyone with this kind of interest in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea will join us at
    http://nautilussubmarine.com
    where we discuss rivet counts to death :)
    and have endless supplies of reference, photos, blueprints, and love to see new work!
    Here's my Nautilus, done for the anniversary DVD of The Mightiest Motion Picture of Them All:
    NautilusByWikiFred.jpg
  • Inxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stunning details here. Your re-creation the room is very well planned, saw the thread from the start. High modeling is wonderful. Did you use edit poly through out or splines, simple geometry shapes and boolean as well. Thanks for help in advance.

Look forward for the updates.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking great! :0 All of your props are super solid, inspiring :) Keep going!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    awseome stuff.
    a quick crit on the lamp. at the moment the shade is letting the rest down a bit. have you tried putting a falloff on the self illumination? it looks way too flat.

Green-Glass-Shade-Bankers-Lamp_41O4%2BYmwYzL._311_310.jpg
    also some tight spec highlights on the shade would boost the shape