• Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wow....nice design :|
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    DON'T SCRAP YOUR FIRST ENTRY!!! You can do two! I'm sure it doesn't matter if you do two for the same class. The first set of items was great and this one looks even better!
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I strongly suggest not abandoning your first set.
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't abandon it, just submit them both! You've got plenty of time, and I like both concepts quite a bit.
  • fastturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah don't give up on the first one - especially when you're so close to finishing it. One top of that, I can't say that I like the Chinese theme nearly as much.
  • Graff Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updated the ChinaMANN models.
    almost finished with the "Cuban cammando" pack. will post final images soon :)
  • Boylee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    double win. do a fourth item and give him some sandals to replace the gun boats.

This. A thousand times over.

Also the first set was great, don't scrap it. :(
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel you should break up your hat into a hat and a misc Item...

facial hair is better as a misc.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    godamnit why do poeple STILL bother making facial hair. IT WILL NOT LOOK RIGHT and will create horrible clipping with the facial animation and will look like it's "floating" in midair.
    (and no, facial animations are shapekey driven not bone driven).
  • Twigbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha! ChinaMann is pure awesome, also the suggested sandals to replace gun boats = do it!
  • GG_Underscore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pure win. i liked the geo rocket dragon head better... but i know it is too late to comment on it now.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is one sexy rocket launcher. Maybe add some doodads on the tube part, more dragon spikes or something.

I hope it's going to be textured colorfully!

dragon1_470x353.jpg
    dragon.jpg
    W020090209399558121252.jpg
    dragon1.jpg

2228973660_08c7f9fa18.jpg?v=0
    golden_statue_chinese2.jpg
    4.1229925180.lihn-son-pagoda-golden-dragon.jpg
    sb10062077w-002.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=5047FA587DE1CADEBCA582624614CDF41C8B733DE2CC9794811D83E9D03A40E4C7D27AC7E08CD4B4

Maybe have chipping Gold paint on it and call it the Golden Dragon - or Bronze Dragon. (Yellow can be considered a neutral color for TF2, like on the Targe.)

462006275_0bc104759c.jpg?v=0
    borneo.jpg
    488815105_d52d46d4b4.jpg?v=0

Hope you shoot for the stars on this one...lots of potential.
  • Graff Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, thanks for the ref11 good stuff. ill prob end up trying out multiple materials
  • Graff Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i plaeyd with the super patina copper and it just didnt seem "tf2" so i held back and made some flat metal shaders
    sadly the only ref for gold is the deadringer and its not so much to my liking for this asset. so i played with copper and burnished steel.
    :: update on page 1 ::
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like your top right combination version
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the golden/bronze accented copper launcher tube version best. You're very good at concept art, man!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Don't do such colour tests without mocking up the Soldier on it! It's very possible that the colours by themselves look good, but don't mesh with the overall colour scheme of the character.
  • Viceroy Bubbles
    Wow this is amazing! Although I think you may have some serious competition. There are like 2 other Asian soldier themes being made (although it might be only one other)
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The soldier doesn't seem like a katana type of guy to me. How about a Kanabō or a Jutte?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanab%C5%8D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jutte
  • Tinker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But those are all Japanese? I'd go for a Chinese melee weapon if anything.
  • Michailov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anything sword-like I'd vote for a Butterfly-Sword
    Butterfly_Swords.gif

As it seems a bit more..robust´

Oooor, a broken/end of a "Monk Spade"
    Just cause it's a..deadlier shovel
  • Graff Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dammit! your all right, katana is japanese. silly me :P

time for some research
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.shoppersdreamwarehouse.com/Collectibles/Far_East_Items/31236.jpg
    http://www.usaplaza.com/Wholesale_Warehouse_Company/_products/35655.jpg

Perhaps a blade like this? Plus the tassel will make a nice excuse for jiggle bones.

http://www.ninedragonbaguazhang.com/weapon.htm

Maybe these pics will give ya some interesting ideas. I'm a fan of the spear.
  • Moribund
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you would want something more distinct than just an ordinary sword.

Maybe a hook sword
    chinese_hook_sword_00-7X24.jpg

Or part of chinese spear.
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tinker wrote: »
    But those are all Japanese? I'd go for a Chinese melee weapon if anything.

Well, damn. I got mixed up when I saw his Katana. Do you want to go for a Gyan dao with the staff broken off?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guan_dao
  • KainSword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the Dragon Cannon, and I do hope you win the Soldier entry.

You may want to consider the following: You have less than 16 days to fully complete your entry. You're going to have to go with either your Asian themed items or the Cuban themed items, if you hope to complete your entry on time.

In addition, keep in mind and relate back to the Soldier's play style and history.

If you decide to go with the Cuban theme, you may want to change the melee weapon you chose. The soldier does not typically use blades or knives. When designing the classes of TF2, Valve chose to give every class a unique silhouette with a different theme of items.

Knives are basically a Spy exclusive melee weapon type, just as Medieval weapons are exclusively a Demoman weapon type. There is a conflict in that yes, a Commando Knife is fit for a Soldier, but it also could be Spy based too. Weapons should be designed with the idea that when you look at the item, you can tell right away that this is a _____ class item.

In addition, keep in mind that Valve has likely already considered many times when in production what Soldier's melee weapon should be, both when creating the Shovel and the Equalizer in the Soldier vs Demo update. I'm sure the idea of a Commando Knife has occurred to them several times before, chances are, they've always thrown out the idea because a knife using Soldier conflicts with the uniqueness of a knife using Spy.

If one of your entry items isn't something they want (e.g. Soldier with Knife), they may just rule out your entry in the process of elimination. With either the Cuban theme or the Chinese theme, you'll likely be among the top Soldier finalists that Valve will have to decide on, and then eliminate one by one to choose the Soldier class winner. I can mostly infer that, seeing as how your modeling and texture work is great.

In addition, keep in mind Cuba is known for Communism, and the Soldier's history is very pro Allied nations in WW2. Valve may decide that Communist styled Cuban items may not fit within the history of the Soldier and may eliminate your entry based on that too. (Though they could just as easily like it, depending on their tastes. Valve is rather odd in what they like. If they like it enough, they'll rewrite and add Soldier back story to allow for Cuban themes)

So if you decide to go with the Cuban theme, you got two, potentially three, items drawn out. Rocket Launcher and Hat (if the cigar is part of the hat), or Rocket Launcher, Hat, and Misc Item.

If you go with the Chinese theme, you've got two weapons drawn out, Rocket Launcher and Hat.

In either case, you should submit whatever you don't choose for the Polypack contest as a Community Weapon, and hope it gets chosen as a single item. If you go with the Chinese theme, submit the hat you've modeled in different ways, and hope it gets chosen. Military Hat + Cigar as a single Hat, Military Hat solo in case Valve doesn't want the Cigar, and Cigar solo as a Misc item. Or if you go with Cuban theme, submit the Dragon Launcher as a solo weapon.

Personally, I think the Dragon Launcher is the best designed item you've got listed, and I would go for the Chinese theme, seeing as how an Asian helmet is already in game, Killer Kabuto.

Also, I'm not so sure about the hat you designed. First, it has facial hair, and facial hair is almost impossible to do correctly on TF2. Secondly, the straw hat doesn't have much to do with Soldier's war themed persona and items. We got an Asian hat for Soldier already, which actually has a war theme, Samurai being the typical warriors of feudal Japan. So you may want to design around maybe not making a hat. Instead you may want to design some kind of Chinese Misc Item instead, if you really want to be bold and have 4 items or more in your submission.

For ideas, you may want to rent or stream Mulan and Mulan 2 when you get the time. One of the battle scenes in Mulan uses similar Dragon Launchers, like you've designed already. You could also consider watching Avatar: The Last Airbender fight scenes with the Fire Nation. Most of the Fire Nation's equipment seems to be from China's early industrial age. Though, most of the Fire Nation's weapons use fire, so that may be out of the question, since Pyro is the exclusive user of Fire based weaponry.

Some ideas you may want to consider, the Chinese used blast powder and explosives rather often in many of their weapons, so you may want to design items around that explosive weapon property. After all, Soldier already has an explosive Rocket Launcher. Soldier may not be a Demoman, but it's not a hard stretch for him to use explosives in other weapons. Just make sure that these explosives are grenade in nature, since that seems to be Demoman's style (Sticky Bombs, Grenades, etc)

For example, you could try looking up several pictures of Chinese fireworks or even crude Chinese guns and try to create a Chinese themed explosive shotgun. For example, you may want to model or adapt a standard in game explosion to erupt out of the muzzle of your Chinese shotgun when fired.

In addition, for a Melee weapon, I would try to find a suitable bludgeoning or blunt weapon that has a Chinese feel to it. If you can find a Chinese themed digging weapon, that would also go along with Soldier's existing Shovel and Pickaxe. You could also add a team-colored feather tassel to the handle of the weapon. Someone earlier posted a very cool mace which you could adapt to fit in with TF2's art style.

Good luck with your entry, and I hope my critique helps.
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KainSword wrote: »
    Knives are basically a Spy exclusive melee weapon type, just as Medieval weapons are exclusively a Demoman weapon type. There is a conflict in that yes, a Commando Knife is fit for a Soldier, but it also could be Spy based too. Weapons should be designed with the idea that when you look at the item, you can tell right away that this is a _____ class item.
    You seem to miss the point of the commando knife. Let us compare it to the spy's balisong. Note that the balisong is a small, dainty thing, perfectly suited to an operation that would require precision, like a backstab. Now look at the commando knife. Note that it looks much thicker and more cumbersome than the balisong. Can you see this thing being used for a backstab? The commando knife would be likely used to gut a man's stomach open.

The point being you shouldn't say that one class has the monopoly on a specific type of weapon. Think about function, not weapon type when saying who should be using what. The spy's melee weapons are things that can be concealed and used for a quick kill. The soldier's weapons are the bullets not fast enough so melee to the fast type of thing. Do you see the point I'm trying to make here? The two knives are completely different species of weapons.
    KainSword wrote: »
    In addition, keep in mind that Valve has likely already considered many times when in production what Soldier's melee weapon should be, both when creating the Shovel and the Equalizer in the Soldier vs Demo update. I'm sure the idea of a Commando Knife has occurred to them several times before, chances are, they've always thrown out the idea because a knife using Soldier conflicts with the uniqueness of a knife using Spy.
    This is where I find your logic to be flawed. I mean, this argument here is so ridiculously interchangeable you can use it for a good 40% of the things submitted in this contest. Do you realize how pretentious it is to say things like this? Despite the fact you have absolutely no idea whether they have or not, you are heavily implying that valve has completely and utterly rejected the concept of a combat knife and they go with your philosophy of who wields the knife.

But I digress.
  • Graff Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes. your all bring up great feedback. due to the time contraints ill probably finish these two and finish my third entery quickly "the trench town warrior)
    Trench hat (already done), Mg1 grand(shot gun replacement), and yes, the TRENCH CLUB!.

also i would like to note that winning would be awsome!! it was never my end goal or i would have put A LOT more thought into my entries :). im just doing this for fun, and it has been a BLAST so far. I cant thank you peeps enough for the input you've all given. polycount has always been a good place to compare art standpoints.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So is the Dragon Launcher still being worked on? It is the best entry in my opinion.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    So is the Dragon Launcher still being worked on? It is the best entry in my opinion.

This is the latest update.

BigDrag.jpg

He's been posting them on the front page. You should post your updates on the newest page graff! More people will see them that way!
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yah I saw that Zip. I was wondering if he had done anything else with it. How amazing would this bad boy be in game, huh?
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gold combo looks the best IMO, but bronze is more in tune with the soldiers current palette.
  • CrisM1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Straight Shooter is best rocket laucher i' ve ever see, even better than origial one, hope it will win
  • Graff Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrisM1 wrote: »
    The Straight Shooter is best rocket laucher i' ve ever see, even better than origial one, hope it will win

you are too kind
    heres my melee for the chinese theme
    1-14.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks more interesting than a sword can ever hope to be.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful work.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the little living leaf on the bamboo, I hope that is in the final.
  • Slowbrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    I love the little living leaf on the bamboo, I hope that is in the final.
    With jigglebones!!!???
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of weapon would it be if it didn't have jigglebones on it...

Looking good. MUCH better than the baby Katana you had before.
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What happened to this? Sorry for the bump, but I was looking forward to watching you progress further.