Hello everyone! This is a test that I have been working on to see how far I can push zbrush as part of my environmental art pipeline. Everything that you see in this scene was sculpted and polypainted in zbrush.
My basic process was to find an inspirational piece of concept art. I chose a Blizzard concept for Diablo 3 by Victor Lee (Tristram Tunnels). I tried to analyze the concept and break it down into modular components. I then would sculpt, polypaint, place, and light the meshes in the UDK engine.
My goal was to really try to capture the feel of the concept, while producing assets that would be efficient for memory and performance.
I plan on doing a full breakdown of my process over the next couple of days. I will cover some of the individual asset creations as well as my thought process when creating a construction set. Hopefully it will be as helpful as so many of the threads I have seen on this site!
Here is the original concept that I worked from
Here are some shots straight out of UDK (unaltered)
The following shots were created using the modular pieces that i created from the original construction set. I tried to keep the look and feel of the concept as you went further into the dungeon.
Also, here is a link to a flythrough to get a better since of scale in the environment. I left the unreal robot guy standing by the stairs to give a better sense of scale. Its missing the fog and a few small tweaks made since then, but the scale is there. I will update the video when I have made any more significant changeshttp://vimeo.com/12013685