Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Zipfinator

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Going to base the pistol part of this gun off of a reference I found earlier.

comparison.jpg

I'm going to start modeling this later today. Once the pistol is fleshed out a bit I'll do some visual tests for the placement of tanks/tubes and other modifications to the gun. It'll be much easier to do tests for this in 3D than doing silhouettes as I'd have to make at least 2 silhouettes for each version of the gun to show what I'm going for.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Left the hardest part for last, I see. I tried to get my gun done first so that I could be left with the easy stuff to do quickly, but I haven't even gotten it done yet. :(

This is a cool gun, should be interesting to see what you do with it.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP shot of the Grease Gun Pistol base.

greasegun_wip1.jpg

This is the first gun I've ever modeled and I think it's coming along nicely. I've shortened the barrel compared to the reference and the stock TF2 pistol to make it a bit more unique. I still need to touch up the trigger area, model on a sight and maybe add some screws.

After I finish touching up the pistol tomorrow I'll do some visual tests on the modifications such as the grease tank and some tubing. I'll post the tests up here and hopefully finish the model and UV it tomorrow. I need have my entire pack submitted by Thursday night so hopefully I can finish this up by Wednesday night.

Also here are a few shots of the hat and wrench being held by the engy that will be used for the final submission.

hat_engy.jpg

wrench_engy.jpg
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to modify that pistol so it fits with your mechanics theme.
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jgoodroad wrote: »
    I think you need to modify that pistol so it fits with your mechanics theme.

I think a gun is usualy self-mechanic...

To me that wip is looking good =) that gun reference looks just like it was from TF2 :poly142:
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I like the hat I think it looks great. Somethin about the wrench just doesnt look right to me. On top of the texture, I think its lacking in being distorted and given more cartoony proportions. Thats 1 thing I notice with all Tf2 weapons, is that they're very cartoon-ish
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give the guns some bolts or screws, welds or other signs that the engie has buit it, or that it's been worked on a lot.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    About the greasegun, I like the model, but I don't see the 'grease' connection there. What's more, there's a pretty famous American WW2 SMG called the greasegun that looks like this:

ae3e40883c0ac88abd35ce8bc82c5868_m3greasegun21.jpeg

If you didn't have a primary weapon thought out I'd say it could work pretty well, but I'd go for a different name for the pistol.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I said in my previous post, I'm doing modifications to the pistol now. I've put a tank on it with a bit of tubing that connects to the pistol. That's the grease part of it. I'm still working on the model but it's almost done. Just adding screws and smoothing things where needed. I'll post pictures tomorrow when it's mostly finished and in as an untextured replacement.

Also remember that I have to finish this by Thursday night since I'm leaving on the 18th and won't be back until the 29th, one day after the deadline. I have to just continue what I'm doing now or I won't finish.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the latest WIP of the gun.

greasegun_wip2.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to reshape the tube, add some more screws and possibly chamfer more of the harder edges. I might also test out adding some more modifications such as a gauge. Post any suggestions for other modifications and I'll try them out.

EricV: I'm not that happy with the texture on the wrench but I think the shape is alright. It could definitely be better but I just don't have the time to make any modifications to it. If I have any extra time this Thursday it'll probably go into the wrench texture but from the looks of things I'll still be finishing this gun's texture then.
  • BaronVonFail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i old oil can/dispenser could look nicer and fits with the mechanic theme
    istockphoto_828213-antique-oil-can-isolated-on-white-background-with-clipping-path.jpg
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe put an old oil can handle/trigger on that tank attached to the gun so it looks like the tank is an old oil thing.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll definitely try and put a can like that on there. It does look better and fits with the theme more. I'd like to put more modifications on it but I'm not sure what I could do. I think I'll try making the tube thicker, placing that larger tank on and maybe doing a gauge. Then I'll post up some pictures here.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well as disappointing as this is to me, I think I'm going to have to drop out of the "competition". I can't get my items to the level of quality I'd like them to be in the next 2 days and I really don't want to submit something sub-par. I'm definitely not going to scrap these items but I won't be submitting them for the competition.

When I get back from my trip on the 29th I'll make a new thread in the Pimping and Previews section to post my progress and get feedback on these items and any future items I make for TF2. I'll be experimenting with paintovers more, doing some more tests based on feedback and spending a lot of time improving my handpainting in the TF2 style.

Thanks for the support during the competition! Check the Pimping and Previews section in a few weeks for my thread!
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's a real shame :C
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm disappointed that it came to this but even if I could finish this pistol model, UV it and texture it in the next two days the wrench and the pistol still wouldn't be at the quality level I'd want them to be at before I submit.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    personal reasons for it being done in the next 2 days i'm going to asume?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to Illinois for 10 days to stay with visit my family, go to a few graduation parties and to visit my friends (I graduated early from High School there about 6 months ago). I've had this trip planned from before the announcement of the Polypack so there's no way I can cancel it. I'm fine with not entering anyway. There are plenty of other packs for Valve to choose from!
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH NOES!
    but wait... if you finish the pistol you would have all three items, and I am sure the contest ends in more then 10 days...
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know if I finish the pistol I'd have 3 items but I'm still not happy with the wrench and if I finish the pistol in 2 days I know I wouldn't be happy with the result. Also the contest ends on the 28th and I get back on the 29th.
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darn...well I guess that is one less entry valve has to choose from (which makes it easier on them if they have less good entries...)
    however...
    :( *sadface*
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Zip, I hope to see your stuff in the game sometime soon anyways. It was great watching your stuff get made.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll still be able to see it get made once I make that thread in a few weeks! I'm definitely going to finish these and post WIP shots for feedback (Which I'm going to try to experiment with more since I dismissed most of the feedback in this thread). I have a few good ideas for this gun that will hopefully make it a lot more unique and TF2-like than it is now and I'm going to go back to the wrench to test out more proportions and retexture it (Again!). After I finish these items I plan to do some more items too which I'll definitely document my progress on and post for feedback. I'm really interested in making items for TF2 so hopefully I'll be able to make quite a few items and refine my workflow for creating weapons, texturing in the TF2 style and generally working in 3D over these projects.
  • komfyrion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww.. Too bad. Well, as jgood stated, this will make things easier for Valve, so you're doing them a good favor! :thumbup:
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quitter.

Get your ass back in Max.