Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Zipfinator

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I definitely think the oil can would be a fine item replacement. I would suggest that they could just use it as a slightly altered Jarate but also suggest some extra mechanics. A few of them are in my original post.

Anyway I guess I'll continue with the oil can after the hat and wrench are done and see how it's going. I was really having trouble texturing it before though. I'm not a graphic designer so it's been pretty tough designing logos in Photoshop. Depending on how it goes when I try it again I might scrap it and just do that pistol.
  • J-Factor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mechanics use plenty of tools that are similar to pistols. It doesn't have to be another boring side-arm. This is the Engineer we're talking about - I'm sure he could modify one of these to be pretty deadly. I think the oil can concept would work better in gun form anyway - Valve have been pretty picky with 'grenade' type weapons. I can imagine the Engineer shooting his buildings with oil to speed them up and maybe criting enemies that are on fire too.

guardair08-79SGU.jpg
    sealey-oil-can-180ml.jpg
    98005.jpg
    41McjWHo4WL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    86917.jpg
    power-drill-1.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was planning to do a grease gun at first as you can see on the first page of my thread but I decided to go with an oil can since it can basically be a Jarate replacement. Those other things are just suggestions for it. While the grease gun is a good idea I think the oil can is better as a replacement for current weapons since a grease gun would need new particles and animations while a Jarate replacement would just need recolored particles and screen overlays.

This is also why I was thinking of doing a pistol though because it's not a new idea like the grease gun or the oil can. I'll focus on this after I retexture the wrench and finish the hat though which should be tomorrow hopefully.
  • J-Factor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoops, sorry I missed those. The point I was trying to make is that even if you do make a weapon that is functionally identical to the pistol it doesn't have to look like an actual pistol! Imagine the Engineer modifying a pistol to grease up each bullet before firing - for that extra bit of speed (Grease Lightning?) I much prefer these sorts of interesting designs compared to conventional weapons. It's what makes Jackablade's Leech Gun stand out compared to most needle guns that just shift the normal components around a bit.

This is the Team Fortress 2 universe and you're working on weapons for a man who built a teleporter. There are endless possibilities for 'a pistol grip weapon that shoots stuff as fast as bullets'.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah that's actually a pretty good idea. A modified pistol with grease tanks and tubes on it. It goes against my theme of a standard kit a bit but I'd rather break the theme and have more interesting items than have boring items that won't get chosen.

I'll mess around with some silhouettes sometime today or tomorrow.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just did a quick re-texture using colors sampled from the pistol.

Wrench_render_comparison.jpg

I like the simpler look of this one but I think the blue needs to be toned down. Also the highlights I painted need to be a bit more noticeable.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    If I might make a suggestion...

AmMEC.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    new color is looking cool. Think swizzle is on to something...
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest version of the texture.

Wrench_render_14.jpg

I decided to only use the highlights in the specular map. It still needs a bit of tweaking but I think it's getting there.

Anyway I'm still against the idea of coloring the wrench like that. I just don't like the way it looks and I don't really think it needs any team coloring.
  • tylerburrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give it slight team coloring. As in, keep that color but have plenty of the paint scratched off so it's mostly the old color.
  • tex_cookiedough
    6844%20Autofeed%20screwdriver.jpg

idk this might somehow provide inspiration for something lol..
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy... son of a... mother...

THAT would be intimidating ingame.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sre if I like the new texture better...
    Maybe thatt's just because you haven't added the wear and tear yet.

Also... can't you find some other logo than Mann Co to put on the wrench >:?
    Everyone and their mom slaps the Mann CO logo on their entries these days.
    I think the Mann CO is only a suitable choice when the weapon is actually a WEAPON and not a tool/sports item/kitchen appliance/furniture/ and/or any other makeshift weapon that is not factory made to be used as a weapon.
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "theme: MANN CO. mechanics kit"
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jgoodroad wrote: »
    "theme: MANN CO. mechanics kit"
    Why couldn't it just have been "Mechanics kit"?

MANN CO is a cool company, but they're a weapons company, and they become less interesting and more of a sign of bad creativity when a lot of modelers keep sticking the same company logo onto everything they create.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Not too fond of that blue'ness on the wrench. I liked the grey more. Hell that red paintover looks horrid on the blue but would look nice on the grey.

Your call though.
  • MistahFixIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jgoodroad wrote: »
    holy... son of a... mother...

THAT would be intimidating ingame.

It's a Screwgun, it's used for drywalling.

But hot damn if they don't look like they could put a hurt on someone :P
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a cute little Item Found render after getting the texture to a near finished state.

itemfound.jpg

Here's a higher resolution verison of the wrench.

wrenchrender_01.jpg

I'm about ready to call it finished. I just need to change up some of the shapes of the stains as they all have a very similar shape. The hat is almost done too. I'll post pictures tomorrow once I get it rendered with the TF2 shading and tweak the colors of them to match the overalls better. I played a bit with it in game today and it's a bit darker than the overalls because of the AO.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, okay man. Looking forward to it.
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had prefered grey... maybe you could have the bluish one be for blu team, and the grey one be for red?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kind of like the color of it now. It's barely blue at all. The stock pistol that both teams use is bluer than this. I'll get a side by side of the current blue and gray just to see but I'll probably end up sticking with the blue tint it has now.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The blue sucks, it makes the "wear" not look like wear at all but like camouflaging of some sort.

If you want to keep the blue then you could change the wear and tear colour.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I removed some of the grease stains and I think it makes it a bit more obvious that they're stains and not some sort of silly pattern.

Wrench_Final.jpg

What other color would you suggest for the stains? Right now it's a very light brown but it looks sort of bluish since it's very transparent.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should probably have more than one stain colour. Also most wear will be around the fork, so perhaps you could add slightly differently toned scratch marks on the fork itself.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    engywrench-1.jpg

Made it a little less blue. I'm going to focus on getting the hat in model viewer now though to see the shading. I really need to get started on my third item too. I think I might go with that grease pistol modification idea.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cp_egypt_final0004.jpg

cp_egypt_final0002.jpg

I'm going to call the wrench done for now. I might go back to it once I make some headway on my third item though. The hat still needs a bit of lightening to match the overalls.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Bandwidth exceeded on yon photobucket
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whaaat really? They show up fine for me... Guess I'll go in and delete a bunch of shit.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Yeah this is why I kind of hate photobucket.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I deleted some images. Is it fine now? Or is it caused by the number of people viewing them?

Anyway if someone could explain how to do it through dropbox I could do that instead. Photobucket kind of sucks anyway.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got Dropbox links.

cp_egypt_final0002.jpg

cp_egypt_final0004.jpg

As I said before, I need to lighten the hat. I also think I'm going to make the bill a bit bigger again. It's still looking pretty small even though I pretty much doubled the size of it.

Hopefully I can get that done today or tomorrow and get started on silhouettes for my last item. I really need to hurry this up as I'm leaving from the 18th to the 29th so I have to finish before that.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final wrench and hat for the moment.

cp_gorge0020.jpg

I may go back and touch up the textures on the wrench once my third item is done. I've also made the wrench and the hat in all the right formats and files for submission.

Tomorrow I'll start some silhouettes on the grease pistol. I'll do some modifications on the stock pistol and some modifications on a Mann Co made pistol since this is the Mann Co Mechanic's Kit. I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to use the original pistol modified but I think it's worth exploring through silhouettes.
  • tex_cookiedough
    google imgshack, i think they are better for images..

ps.. looking good ;D
  • Karkasmolenklok
    google imgshack, i think they are better for images..
    No, they still suck.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Wrench look WAY too bright.
    I think you should make it a darker shade of gray, it looks completely white at the moment.
  • komfyrion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Simski said, but you also don't really notice the oil stains on it, atleast not in world model, could we have a viewmodel image too? Apart from that they look great!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uploaded the model viewer render from above the page to Drop Box. I think I may need to add all of my previous images to Dropbox if it's going to fuck up like this.

Wrench_Final.jpg

I'll get a view from first person. I think it's looking so bright in those pictures because the sun is really strong and it completely destroys the spec map because of its brightness.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some first person pictures to show how it looks in 3 different lighting scenarios.

Indoor Lighting:

cp_gorge0031.jpg

Ambient Lighting:

cp_gorge0037.jpg

Outdoor Lighting:

cp_gorge0036.jpg

Do you guys still think it needs to be darker? It's just the sunlight is really bright. I'll definitely make the stains contrast more in the specular map though.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I think you could safely darken the texture by a significant amount and it would look nice.
  • Dr. Waldo Fehr
    Darker, definitely.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made it a bit darker and it's definitely looking better. I'll post pics once I think I've found the best shade.
  • komfyrion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The oil stains look a bit unnatural, and I think you should make more of them, on more realistic spots..
    What is you name for this btw?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not completely happy with the stains and how they look but I just need to settle with them for now. I only have 6 days to finish and I really need to get this last item done.

Also I don't really have a witty name for it yet. I've just been calling it Mechanic's Wrench and that's probably what I'll submit to Valve but I'm sure they'd come up with a better name if they choose it.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pictures of the new darker wrench.

cp_gorge0039.jpg

cp_gorge0041.jpg

I like the way it looks now so I'm going to call it finished for now. I might come back to it and test out some different stains/painting once the third item is done. Now I'm going to start on silhouettes for the third item. I'll post them up here later today.
  • Betty Hime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    all your photobucket pictures on the tutorial are gone too! But I am liking the wrench *thumbs up*
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime wrote: »
    all your photobucket pictures on the tutorial are gone too! But I am liking the wrench *thumbs up*

Ah I'll go fix that now. Forgot about that.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    i'd still prefer an even darker one. looks reeeeally bright. but i think you've had that discussion for too often now ;)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen wrote: »
    i'd still prefer an even darker one. looks reeeeally bright. but i think you've had that discussion for too often now ;)

Thanks for commenting but I like the way it looks now and I REALLY need to move onto my third item. I like the similarities in the light/bright color it has compared to the wrench I based it off of and darkening it up a bit (I did -50 to Brightness in Photoshop) fixed the extreme bloom it had in the sun so I'm going to keep it for now. If I have time I'll test it out a lot darker after my last item is done.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    just move on :)
    i just felt like nitpicking again :(