Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    You click with right click to select and press tab to enter edit mode.There you go, now you know.Or you can read somewhere online how to use blender.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Couple good places to start:

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/08/31/blender-interface-and-navigation/

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/08/31/blender-intro-to-modeling/

2.63 had some big modeling changes, so check this one out:
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-series/overview-of-blender-2-63/

For more advanced modeling, definitely dig into the modifiers. Great site here that goes through them:
    http://blenderdiplom.com/index.php/tutorials/item/91-ressource-blender-modifiers-explained

Try not to think of Blender in terms of Max and Maya, it has a very different way of doing a lot of things, and it's harder to learn if you're trying to directly translate that functionality.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    So if you want to update to your blender settings from 2.63 to 2.64 just do this:

Copy this folder:
    C: \Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.63a

Empty then paste into this folder (create if it doesn't exist):
    C: \Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.64

@Dave,

It's totally worth it.

If you want a more max like experience you can use my configuration. Just paste these contents into the folder mentioned above.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2904948/Tools/2.64.zip
    • Max Navigation.
    • Simpler Default view. (You'll need to add a light if you want to render.)
    • Simpler Animation view.
    • Select with left click.
    • Menu with right click.
    • Zoom to mouse pointer
    • Orbit selected object
    • Ctrl + Right click to set the 3d cursor. (I've still never used that thing.)
    • Darker color scheme.
    • Don't load UI with file. (There's an option in the file open window, if you need to.)
    • Scene camera FOV is 45 degrees.
    • Hundred other small things.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I use the Maya 2 blender configuration and keyset which makes it a lot more usable in my opinion. I have to agree though, Blender just isnt there for it to replace better modeling tools. In fact, one of the best modeling tools on the market is free and open source... and its not Blender. Wings 3D is perhaps one of the best pure modeling applications out there, despite its old looking interface.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    I actually really like Blender's controls when using a decent 3-button mouse, but then again I switched permanently from Maya about 6 months ago (when 2.63 came out) so I've had plenty of to get used to them (and Maya's whole interface was clunky to begin with; holding alt for everything, going through menus and clicking on things instead of using hot keys).

On the topic of keysets and configurations what I'd really like to know is how (or if) the Sculpt room in Blender could switch to a ZBrush control set. I've tried out the sculpting in the latest release, just today actually, and while the sculpting felt surprisingly good, not being able to rotate in the sculpt room by clicking and dragging in the viewport is a deal breaker.

Now that there's masking, it'd also be nice if ctrl were used for that instead of for doing the inverse of an action (alt would be better for that); oh and holding shift would be great for smoothing, using ctrl shift together for selection lassos, ctrl shift clicking to hide and reveal things... pretty much all the zbrush controls would be glorious...

It'd be amazing to use the same app for everything (at least most of the time) instead of bouncing around, and to have that app be open source and free to download and use for whatever by whoever is just... overwhelmingly awesome.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    monster wrote: »
    So if you want to update to your blender settings from 2.63 to 2.64 just do this:

Copy this folder:

@Dave,

It's totally worth it.

If you want a more max like experience you can use my configuration. Just paste these contents into the folder mentioned above.

• Max Navigation.
    • Menu with right click.
    • Zoom to mouse pointer
    • Orbit selected object
    • Darker color scheme.
    • Don't load UI with file. (There's an option in the file open window, if you need to.)

Have you thought about submitting this to be included in the official Blender build? It could really do with an official Max preset.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Emulating ZBrush controls may be pretty hard, but you can definitely tinker. For sculpting, you can use this setting to make viewport nav like Maya (alt+lmb) which works well.

show.php?id=38489

Definitely dig into the the keymap a bit and see what you can do.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    OMG ...so much info!
    Thanks for the file Monster, I'll try that out later tonight.
    BTW I really want to like Blender, just in case my earlier post was misunderstood.
    Also my earlier point is that just looking at the interface I had no clue what to do. There is nothing to indicate that pressing spacebar would put you into edit mode. Yes I could have read how to do this, but there should be some clue for the end user on how to use a program without doing so. I'm a proponent of RTFM but some things should be no brainers.

Thank for all the help and links guys
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Actually, since you mention spacebar, there's a really handy tool there for learning. Space brings up this search menu with keyboard shortcuts listed next to actions. So if you don't know how to do an action, you can at least try to search for it.

show.php?id=38491
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    monster wrote: »

Copy this folder:

@Dave,

It's totally worth it.

• Max Navigation.
    • Menu with right click.
    • Zoom to mouse pointer
    • Orbit selected object
    • Darker color scheme.

That is an amazing change, and made the interface super user friendly!!!!
    Thank you so much. If Blender had always been this user friendly more people would use it.
    I suggest that everyone who wants to try Blender but can't get around the interface try this. Freakin amazing change!
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd really like for custom orientations to auto clear every time i make another one.Anyone has any use for entire lists of custom orientations ? I mean i know i can manually delete them but it's still too slow, i'd rather have the current one clear when i define another one .
  • crimeny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @monster

thats actually a really great setup you made, but it breaks 6dof device support. I'll be toying around to see what affects it though.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work Monster.

Does anyone know how Instances in Blender work? Can I pose instances seperately, like say if they were characters? Can I use fur with instances? Or do they have to be mesh based.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Cross post ftw!

Antony Riakiotakis (Psi-Fi) has been working on a triangulation modifier which has been coded especially for game artists and requires some testers.
    http://www.graphicall.org/1013

It doesn't do anything other than what you would expect, but any comments would be cool :)

Andreas wrote: »
    Nice work Monster.

Does anyone know how Instances in Blender work? Can I pose instances seperately, like say if they were characters? Can I use fur with instances? Or do they have to be mesh based.

Regarding instancing, you are looking for Dupligroups, Dupliverts, Duplifaces and Dupliframes. :)
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Objects/Duplication
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    This is a great start to better control of triangulation in Blender, and should go straight into trunk! The only addition I'd like to see is the inclusion of a way to manually alter the triangulation for surfaces and have them locked in direction I chose, similar to the way Max handles it.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any way to export your UI and plugin settings so that when you upgrade to the latest build, you don't lose your custom settings?

Also, is there a way to add a selection bracket around selected objects rather than the outline? The outline eats the frame rate at high res.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Dim wrote: »
    This is a great start to better control of triangulation in Blender, and should go straight into trunk! The only addition I'd like to see is the inclusion of a way to manually alter the triangulation for surfaces and have them locked in direction I chose, similar to the way Max handles it.

Yea, I thought that too. I'm not sure how easy that would be, but I will ask Antony and see what he thinks.
    Overlord wrote: »
    Is there any way to export your UI and plugin settings so that when you upgrade to the latest build, you don't lose your custom settings?
    Save the 2.64 folder which is found at C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender and then copy or overwrite the files to the same location relative to the new install location (2.65, 2.66 etc.)
    Also, is there a way to add a selection bracket around selected objects rather than the outline? The outline eats the frame rate at high res.
    Not that I am aware of :(
    It would be cool though, so if anyone does know how to do this, than please shout up! :)
  • carter2422
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carter2422 polycounter lvl 6

Not that I know of either, but you can turn off the outlines via the Viewport Properties (N) in the Display section by unchecking "Outline Selected".
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carter2422 wrote: »
    Not that I know of either, but you can turn off the outlines via the Viewport Properties (N) in the Display section by unchecking "Outline Selected".

Yeah, I know about that, but then I have to look at the outliner in order to know which object is selected.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Yeah, I know about that, but then I have to look at the outliner in order to know which object is selected.
    You can also just hit "Z" while in object mode to see which object is selected.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18

Copy the startup.blend file from here:

C: \Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\BLENDER VERSION\config

Then when you upgrade Blender, run it and press ctrl+U to create a new startup file, then quit Blender and paste your previous version of the startup file over the top.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was under the impression Blender gave you the option to migrate your settings when you update? When you run the new version, check if there's a 'load previous settings' option on the splash screen somewhere.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Bottom left when opening a file. That tends to bring in the position of layout elements - if you just swap the default UI around that works fine but if you have some custom scripting it won't bring that in (the UI won't appear the same without the 3rd party script being dropping into the correct location before loading). Is that what you were referring to?
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Anyone tried dyntopo out? Pretty cool stuff I think! Pity the viewport cant handle really high detail meshes though.
  • carter2422
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie wrote: »
    Anyone tried dyntopo out? Pretty cool stuff I think! Pity the viewport cant handle really high detail meshes though.

Dyntopo is great!

Also if you disabled Double Sided then you can get much, much better viewport performance for high poly meshes. In my experience this will boost performance at least 4x.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    New Triangulate modifier build that fixes the edgesplit modifier not working correctly when below the triangulate modifier.

http://www.graphicall.org/1013
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, this just in ! sweet shiny bevel in blender.check newest build on graphicall
    :).
    GUsDN.png
    lXQOFWDTDJArz
    lXQOFWDTDJArz
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that going in the trunk? I dont like dicking around with builds. Would prefer it was just released as an addon if not.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    In case anyone is working in a High-Poly Scene and their viewport is slowing to a crawl..
    Two methods I've used to increase the viewport's responsivity are:

1)Select your meshes in the scene & Turn off Double Sided Normals (Under the modifier tab)
    2)In the user prefs -> System -> Check VBOs

(Except when scrubbing through animation.. yikes)
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Is that going in the trunk? I dont like dicking around with builds. Would prefer it was just released as an addon if not.

Yeah, it's in trunk. Next release (early Dec according to the wiki) should have it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great. Those are some sexy chamfers. Reminds me of that max plugin that unfortunately costs money. By the guy who has the de-subdivide plugin. That would be a cool feature to see in Blender too.

What would people like the next 'big thing' to be in Blender? Id personally love to see some kind of crowd simulator.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Modo quality modeling tools, max style modifier stack and modifiers.
  • carter2422
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great. Those are some sexy chamfers. Reminds me of that max plugin that unfortunately costs money. By the guy who has the de-subdivide plugin. That would be a cool feature to see in Blender too.

What would people like the next 'big thing' to be in Blender? Id personally love to see some kind of crowd simulator.

Un-Subdivide is already in trunk :) Find it with Spacebar > Un-subdivide
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Un-Subdivide is already in trunk :) Find it with Spacebar > Un-subdivide

Couldnt find it. You sure thats what its called?

Any way to freeze the ~&#*~&~&*#* cursor? I never use it but am always left clicking by accident and having it shoot off all over the place.
  • Coo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coo
    ZacD wrote: »
    My argument against blender is this, just because you can paint a master piece in MS doesn't mean I'd want to. Blender just doesn't seem as artist friendly as the other apps out there, even if it is free.

Cool trailer though.

Blenders problem is the programmer interface, they need someone who knows how to build a software interface. It's one of the reasons things like Sculptris and Zbrush are so damn awesome.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blenders got a very cool interface, wish people would move on from that. Love how I can hit spacebar and every feature of Blender is right there. You dont get that with Max.

The documentation is what stinks of programmers :P I find it hard to absorb info from glorified text files. Thats why blender cookie is awesome :)
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unsubd is in the decimate modifier now, which also has an option to remove planar faces and will preserve UVs!!
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Coo wrote: »
    Blenders problem is the programmer interface, they need someone who knows how to build a software interface. It's one of the reasons things like Sculptris and Zbrush are so damn awesome.

???
    did you check out blender recently ? (like in the last year) or are you talking about this ugly as hell interface blender had once, a long time ago

the "new" interface is really good in my opinion. at least a trillion times better than maya
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie wrote: »
    unsubd is in the decimate modifier now, which also has an option to remove planar faces and will preserve UVs!!

Looked, cant find it there neither. Hmm
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What version did you get? Last one I tried was Win7.x64-52001 and it's in there.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last trunk release... 2.64? No options in decimate modifier for me.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trunk is the continuously updated repository of files and it was added after the last official stable release so if you want to play with it you will have to download one of the daily or graphicall builds. They run stand alone so you can just unzip into a folder and jump into play with the feature you want to try out.
  • carter2422
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last trunk release... 2.64? No options in decimate modifier for me.

You need to download a recent development build (trunk). You can get almost daily builds for each platform at http://builder.blender.org
    The documentation is what stinks of programmers :P I find it hard to absorb info from glorified text files. Thats why blender cookie is awesome :)

Glad you like it!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    The Triangulate modifier is now in trunk! w00t!
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    hm, the un-subdivide modifier doesnt work that great..
    i was hoping it would reconstruct the basemesh..

but overall the 2.69 build is running really smooth, no crashes so far
    only thing i had recently was that occlude geometry was buggy. it was always off, wheter i activated or deactivated it
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Blender 2.65 Released
    Release logs

Bevel seems to work really good now. I finally won't have to explain to people stupid work-arounds. :P
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really feels like a .5 release, so much new cool stuff. That new decimate un-subdivide feature is SEXAAAAY.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Interesting that I don't have an OpenCL option under User Preferences/System for GPU compute. I guess OpenCL was falling further behind CUDA.

Shame we still don't have Cycles baking... but looks like a good update, no show stoppers.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why cant I increase my possible RAM cache anymore? Doesnt seem to want to go above 1024.