Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Robot Hunter Lodge - UDK environment

Replies

• Czar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great idea, and awesome high poly work! Also agreeing with ajr2764, I'd also like to see some wires of the hi-poly.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    ajr2764 wrote: »
    Been watching this thread for a while now, love the style of it and that arm is bad ass. You have some solid modeling skills, perhaps you could post some wires of the hi-poly because I'd like to see some of the construction. How do you go about doing some of the ornant parts you have like on the desk and draw?

Almost all of the shapes start from splines unless it's something simple like a cylinder. But that's only a start to the modeling. I don't know how helpful this will be but here's a wireframe omnibus:

5225891476_173c8aaedb.jpg
    RH_hipolyWires_011210 by sprunghunt, on Flickr
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Really looking forward to seeing how this progresses, amazing work so far.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    some mini updates:

roof arch:
    5309156348_8fecd5aef3.jpg
    RH_roofBrace_render121210 by sprunghunt, on Flickr

coat rack:
    5338177780_541c1d9da3.jpg
    RH_clothesRack_render08012011 by sprunghunt, on Flickr
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I always get proper excited when i see you have updated this :)

The new stuff looks awesome :) so excited to see this finished!
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    This thread is brutal, I'm really digging the style!
  • Builder_Anthony
    Im really glad you posted that render materail turtorial on the first page,and your work seems great.I like the mail table.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Started making some lowpolys. Just the normalmap and AO for now.

5426995463_e63ca7e7ff.jpg
    RH_working_ss070211 by sprunghunt, on Flickr
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    your props look really great.

the composition of your scene leaves something to be desired however.

you're creating a bulls-eye in the middle of your render. There's no clear central focus though, but it's extremely difficult for (my) eyes to freely explore the scene. If this is a play space, the player may also be inclined to feel the same way. IMO there should be enough interesting elements composed in a way that at nearly every angle they player/viewer should feel like there's enough well balanced interesting things going on that they want to explore the space, but with very clear areas to interact with the environment.

great job on the modeling though, that chair and desk look mega sweet.

also, if this is a robot hunter quarters, he seems pretty new at it :)... not a lot of robot parts lieing around, or an area where he can tweak/create/repair weapons/tools... seems very clean. (even though it's not a textured version... ) seems like there should be more random crap lieing around or on the walls...

just some thoughts,
    Cheers
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Turn off the SSAO. It's killing the scene.

Otherwise it's coming together pretty well even this early. Can't wait to see this textured.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    This is looking fantastic so far. So many little interesting bits and pieces, I can't wait to see the final.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    that CHAIR! LOVE IT

Really cool style you got man, loving the progress on it...and nice bakes on the LP's

can't wait to see more!
  • Jonsnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great highpolys, really like
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter

also, if this is a robot hunter quarters, he seems pretty new at it :)... not a lot of robot parts lieing around, or an area where he can tweak/create/repair weapons/tools... seems very clean. (even though it's not a textured version... ) seems like there should be more random crap lieing around or on the walls...

just some thoughts,
    Cheers

Yes I have always thought about adding more small objects and clutter. It'd be an improvement I think. Perhaps I'll repeat some of the robot parts.
    jeffro wrote: »
    Turn off the SSAO. It's killing the scene.

Otherwise it's coming together pretty well even this early. Can't wait to see this textured.

Yes I noticed that. At the moment it's on the default setting. I think I'll try turning it down rather than completely off.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    great to see this still alive and moving forward, would love to see some of your lowpoly wires at some point.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    really liking the design for this. for the decorations of the models (the flowers designs n what-not), did u use some sort of a template to model from? or did u just sit down and start "doodling" with shapes?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Oniram wrote: »
    really liking the design for this. for the decorations of the models (the flowers designs n what-not), did u use some sort of a template to model from? or did u just sit down and start "doodling" with shapes?

I drew those freehand in max. I looked at a lot of reference first (louis XIV furniture, art nouveau, arts and crafts prints) but didn't use any kind of template. It doesn't take that long to do if you're used to emulating a style.

Part of the reason why I do personal work like this is because I get to be creative in ways that interest me without any restrictions. So I wouldn't enjoy copying someone elses design exactly.
  • nick2730
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    nick2730 wrote: »
    IG88?

what do you mean? are you talking about the robot assasin from starwars?
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with nfrrtycmplx that your composition could use more work.

Right now, my eye is kind of torn between two conflicting points of interest that fight for my attention : Either the chair (because of the perspective), or the desk (because of the lighting). You should decide what area you want to be your focal point and make the lighting and perspective/framing work together towards that narrative goal.

There are two things that I think you could definitely change.

1. That angle of view, because your perspective's vanishing point goes right down the center of your image, it creates a symmetry that kills visual dynamism.

2. Whether it's intended for your chair or your desk to be the main objects of your scene, they do very little to convey the story (which is very interesting and original) that you're trying to achieve ; even though they're flawless technically, they don't push your narrative forward. A chair or a desk doesn't say "robot hunter" to the viewer. You should put robot hunting clues on them or replace them with something else altogether.

There is also something that really hurts your scene, immersion-wise: there's a sort of "dollhouse effect" going on in your image, because it doesn't feel like the universe your creating extends beyond the spectator's sight. That's mainly because all your objects are in the back in the room, and nothing is actually on the edge of the screen to extend the scene, it makes it feel like a box, cut open, in which you've put objects, I can't visualize what is behind me, because there is nothing to suggest it. The support beams landing right on the corners of the image also strengthen that feeling that everything ceases to exist beyond them.

I did a really advanced, well-polished, super realistic paintover to illustrate my thoughts about framing, lighting, and object/clue placement :

Robot_Hunter.jpg
    Take that, Ryan Church.

Of course this is just for illustrative purposes, I'm sure you can come up with something much better.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Urbanmelon wrote: »
    I did a really advanced, well-polished, super realistic paintover to illustrate my thoughts about framing, lighting, and object/clue placement :

<neato feedback image removed >

Of course this is just for illustrative purposes, I'm sure you can come up with something much better.

Hey thanks for this feedback you've got some great points there. I have always thought that that scene could do with being more cluttered.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Here's the latest version of this level:
    5460963082_d6c3cc9e07_b.jpg
    RH_working_ss200211 by sprunghunt, on Flickr

I've made a few changes and baked more hipolys.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Something to fill the foreground maybe? Something you a can make slightly out of focus to convey depth a bit more.
    Lighting seems pretty dim which is a great opportunity to play with some lighting contrast. If you would have something emitting light deeper in the room it would be great. I like the overpaint Urbanmelon melon pretty much for a particular reason. Firstly it leads your eye through the environment better, secondly, out of what he called "desk w/ gun on it?" you could actually make a chimney, creating a proper focal point for your scene and making great warm fire, cold shadows contrast and probably some great long shadows on the floor. When I think of a trophy room I kinda always think about a chimney. Dunno why.

robothunterover.jpg

I see that you're pretty far in you scene arrangements already and there's a huge chance that you will probably want to stick to what you've already got. But my personal feeling is that your highpoly skill is great and hopefully the assets will turn out the same, but your environment making isn't quite there yet. Composition is pretty weak and no proper focal point and no interesting lighting so far. I've been there. A few hours/weeks after you're done you'll sit there thinking damn, those assets are great but why doesn't the whole scene feel the same. And then you realize you could've gotten much more with what you've got.
    My idea is by no means the best or anything, but I hope it'll convince to squeeze more out of the amazing thing you've started. Anyway good luck and I can't wait to see that finished. You've done a great job so far!

P.S.I also had to jump through a few hoops to view your fullsize image. I hope you consider posting stuff here fullsize and not making folk go all the way to flicker waiting for it to show a bigger piece. You scare away your audience that way.)
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    nice stuff here! keep it up!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuuuu...that looks so much better already.

Get those surfaces textured now!
  • Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whaaaaaa. It's coming together really nice!

The modeling on the roof archs is a good construction and details also.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very inspiring !! going into my inspiration folder !!!

Cheers...
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome what are you using to render?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    d1ver wrote: »
    Something to fill the foreground maybe? Something you a can make slightly out of focus to convey depth a bit more.
    Lighting seems pretty dim which is a great opportunity to play with some lighting contrast. If you would have something emitting light deeper in the room it would be great. I like the overpaint Urbanmelon melon pretty much for a particular reason. Firstly it leads your eye through the environment better, secondly, out of what he called "desk w/ gun on it?" you could actually make a chimney, creating a proper focal point for your scene and making great warm fire, cold shadows contrast and probably some great long shadows on the floor. When I think of a trophy room I kinda always think about a chimney. Dunno why.

<snip rest of feedback>!

Thanks for the feedback and I see what you mean. I have been considering a fireplace for a long time but I was thinking more of a pot belly stove kind of thing. I'll definitely have a think about it. It's never too late to move things around. The only drawback to making big changes late is if you have to throw out things you've finished to make room for new stuff.
    d1ver wrote: »
    P.S.I also had to jump through a few hoops to view your fullsize image. I hope you consider posting stuff here fullsize and not making folk go all the way to flicker waiting for it to show a bigger piece. You scare away your audience that way.)

I have fixed that :) polycount does automatically downsize large images. I had no idea it would annoy anyone.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    aajohnny wrote: »
    Awesome what are you using to render?

These are screenshots of my level in the unreal developer kit.

Unless you're asking what I'm using for the normal map bakes?
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    Love the style man! cant wait to see those textures done.
    Lighting looks good already!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    lookin good chief like the changes you've made so far. Can't wait to see this with lighting/color
  • Inxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The last shot looks fantastic. But I think you need to push the space inside, it gives kind of empty room feeling.

The sketch by d1ver also shows that he has crunched the space sides wise which automatically makes the room big length wise and more filled, a wide angle shot would be real cool as well.

The details and high poly modeling is fantastic ! I saw the wires you put.

So you model a lot by splines and NOT nurbs, then bevel or extrude as per required. Am I right. Ofcourse where poly modeling is required is a different matter.

Good going.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Inxa wrote: »
    The last shot looks fantastic. But I think you need to push the space inside, it gives kind of empty room feeling.

The sketch by d1ver also shows that he has crunched the space sides wise which automatically makes the room big length wise and more filled, a wide angle shot would be real cool as well.

Not so sure about making the room smaller. It'll make the maneuvering room smaller. And that's just not realistic for a game environment...
    Inxa wrote: »
    So you model a lot by splines and NOT nurbs, then bevel or extrude as per required. Am I right. Ofcourse where poly modeling is required is a different matter.
    Good going.

I rarely use any kind of patches. In the end it's all using polymodeling + meshsmooth but for this project I've started with spline tools to get the shapes.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    oh and here's a quick colour/pattern pass I did. (it's unlit)
    5505375510_4f485c0a26_b.jpg
    RH_working_ss06032011 by sprunghunt, on Flickr
  • Inxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply and the note about the modeling as well.

Looking good, keep it up. I am waiting for the lit version :) Keep the updates going.
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    This looks fantastic.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    "finished" texturing. And I threw a small light in the corner to simulate a fireplace offscreen.

5594041091_a2caf75da1_b.jpg
    RH_working_ss05042011 by sprunghunt, on Flickr
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This turned out real nice. Love the lighting. Individual pieces feel too detailed for this screenshot. Post one of those huge tiledshots. :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Ah, i love it! I can't put my finger on it, i'm worthless with composition and light, but for some reason it feels flat. And yeah, close ups, bigger screenshos and some breakdowns! NAOW! :D
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Wow it looks great!
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    epic work, been following this for a while its really looking awesome !
  • InMOP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great but what happened to all the detail?

I think you have hidden a lot of your great work with the current lighting.
  • Roepetoepa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roepetoepa polycounter lvl 12
    Dang dude this looks pretty awesome !
    cool concept and nicely excecuted
    however id work some more on the lighting so that you dont lose all those cool details :]
  • HeatSeeking HandGrenade
    Obe word completlyfrigginawesome!
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to agree with what InMOP and Roepetoepa are saying. You have all sorts of great detail work in here that is getting lost with the current lighting setup, but damn I am so happy you kept working on this, it looks great!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool! This has a great feel to it. Only thing I'd say is the lighting is all warm. MIght be nice to push some cooler colors in the shadows.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Lighting is wierd. Its pretty for sure, but its offcenter. Things are fighitng for attention it looks like :\
    Nice detail, but can hardly see it.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Glad to see you made some more progress on this great scene. I'm a little disappointed that alot of the awesome detail of your props can't be seen. I kind of like the mood but would love to see this with a different lighting scheme.
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow looks amazing man. Its kinda sad that you cant see all the details you made in the final though. On the lighting note I think light looks a little odd because it looks like night time by the window, and then there is warm yellow light coming in. I think if you made the light from the window bluish, and then have some warm light source inside as well it would make more sense and look more interesting.