Home General Discussion

Some Common Things.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Vig wrote: »
    So what does it display when you render a height map, a diffuse map, AO and a normal map? Would it open a new window for each one when its saving all those files? Those windows eat up a bunch of ram and it runs faster if you turn it off, I can't imagine how slow it would be if it was updating them all at the same time as it renders.

I think they should shut off the preview window when rendering with RTT, and just give a progress/cancel button, then maybe open the files when they're done?
    Give it a tabbed window for each map and put a checkbox in the RTT dialogue that lets you turn on/off previews for each map you add (off by default). That way you can control it, if you don't want any previews you just don't check anything, but if you want a preview, you get one that isn't a complete other type of map altogether from the one you are rendering
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DN, that's moi jerb =P

Kas, That would rock.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I hate the disappearing vertex bug ie they just are not visible unless I go back in to preference window and change the size to some silly amount then back to default

The famous bug when you hide unhide faces some of the verts remain hidden.

Another bug recently when detaching then reattaching a mesh , the mesh that is reattached stays selected and highlighted in yellow at a sub object level. The only fix is to do a reset xform.

I hate the uv window as quite often you accidentally press the windows menu bar and come out of the uv editor.

textures in diffuse slot does not auto update anymore when in dx mode. you have to manually reload by going to the directory where the texture map is and choose it again.
    the normal map slot works fine in comparison.

why no lasso in the uv editor. would it be that hard to do?

Biped loses default figure mode on occasion. ie the bind pose is lost.
    Only work around is to save out the fig file before you start.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    I've talked to some of their devs and didn't get that impression at all.

They've got a lot of different users and they are attempting to maintain legacy support for their product which is where a lot of the issues come from.

I'm just saying I've used maya and xsi for the last 5 years, and one program has had lots of big updates, and one has barely changed.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's also funny that after they acquire XSI they start talking about optimizing max to work a lot more like XSI. It came up 3-4 times in that webinar "modes a bit like XSI" "for those of you farmilar with XSI you'll see somethings you like".
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Kaskad wrote: »

e/ also you know when you're baking normals how it previews a complete map instead of the normal map? They should fix that like five years ago

I think it defaults to the complete map because you can render many different maps at the same time- I frequently bake out normals, diffuse, and lighting all at once. It would be nice to be able to toggle the render view between maps, but I`m not sure if its necessary. If the render looks messed up on one map, it`ll be messed up on the others.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Did anyone else find it useful to use set flow on individual verts back when we had the polyboost UI? I notice that set flow disappears in the graphite ribbon when vertex mode is selected. I liked how it averaged out the vert in relation to others around it.

Anywho...my biggest complaint is the Graphite Ribbon. Give me the option to have the old school polyboost UI please. Nothing would make me happier. I will continue to use 2009 until this happens.