Home General Discussion

Who's going to GDC 2010?

Replies

• LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone arriving in SF around Monday at 1pm? Could ride the BART together!
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I'm going just for the student portion on saturday and would like to meet up with some people also
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    I'll be there. Jeff, you know I don't know how to read, so I'm hoping you'll give me a ring when we have the official times for the meet.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Haha, I got your back Nate, we're going to have a hell of a crowd from AI. You gotta buy me a beer though ;), second rounds on me. Ugh, come to think of it you gotta make sure i don't party too hard!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Me and Empty will be wherever the Polycount meet is! Holla.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for spamming this thread but i'm realling into the GDC mojo right now.

How about us PC guys print the polycount logo out and pin it onto our shirts so we can make each other out. It'd be great to run into you guys on the floor and know you're part of PC!

logo_polycount_sign.png

Just print that out, doesn't have to be fancy (could be a cheap black and white print). We can pin it on our shirts!
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We could do a ribbon that hangs from the badge like the IGDA does it. I don't know if they have to be approved by GDC though
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Getting exciting, this is just around the corner!

Poop, a lot of us have student badges, is your talk open to everyone?

Pretty sure it's open to everyone, which is why it's being held off site.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anybody have any advice concerning the talks. im planning on going to like...11 of them between thursday and saturday. is that too much to handle? theres like 30 minutes between each talk. its my first time there, so i dont know how exactly it works. i have the necessary pass for them.

is it first come first served? will i have enough time to get out of one, run to the other and find a seat? do i have to reserve a seat for each one?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I normally write down all the ones I'm interested in, even if they overlap, because I've gone into ones that sounded awesome in the description, and then were either super lame, or I was able to get the gist of it in the first 10 minutes, and then I have a plan B. Even then I often times found myself without a talk and preferred to go and network.

Unless it's a crazy popular talk there is almost always open seating even midway through the lecture. There is no reserving seats unless you have a friend in there saving you one.
  • Darkbladecr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm looking forward to seeing the CryEngine 3, but unfortunately I can't go myself :(
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, a question -- I'm a student going to the career thingmajig on Saturday. I'm trying for a level design / narrative design position somewhere. What should I bring? My laptop to show video / screenshots / portfolio and stuff? Hard copies of my CV?

And do people really care about business cards?

Advise me. Please. :)
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, a question -- I'm a student going to the career thingmajig on Saturday. I'm trying for a level design / narrative design position somewhere. What should I bring? My laptop to show video / screenshots / portfolio and stuff? Hard copies of my CV?

And do people really care about business cards?

Advise me. Please. :)

Business cards are good, or little post card sized cards with your art work and contact info. You never know who you'll run into. If they like your stuff they will want something like a card to take back with them and remind them. Besides it just shows that your taking it seriously and planed ahead.
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
    I will be there Wednesday after noon to Saturday evening and would be down for some meeting up if the schedule allows :)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just found out that my wacom is still packed away in our moving boxes, and in storage, and I absolutely need that for my lecture. Just in case anyone can save me from spending all evening digging through boxes, is there anyone that will be there with a Wacom tablet and Pen I can borrow during that Thursday lecture slot of mine? Any make or model will do, even a bamboo.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    sorry for spamming this thread but i'm realling into the GDC mojo right now.

How about us PC guys print the polycount logo out and pin it onto our shirts so we can make each other out. It'd be great to run into you guys on the floor and know you're part of PC!

Just print that out, doesn't have to be fancy (could be a cheap black and white print). We can pin it on our shirts!

Or just buy a t shirt from the shop.
    http://polycount.spreadshirt.com/
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
    I can bring mine Ben. I get in early Wednesday afternoon.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure I will get a GDC pass this year, but I live in the area, so I guess I will be seeing you guys Thursday!
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    I'll be there from wed. afternoon - sat. night. I'll def. try to meet up somewhere!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    I just found out that my wacom is still packed away in our moving boxes, and in storage, and I absolutely need that for my lecture. Just in case anyone can save me from spending all evening digging through boxes, is there anyone that will be there with a Wacom tablet and Pen I can borrow during that Thursday lecture slot of mine? Any make or model will do, even a bamboo.

~ I'll bring my volito just in case. I'll try to contact you the moment I land on wednesday morning. Hotel room has wifi methinks, so just be online a lot that day.

I've also cut my hair, so it's likely I'll recognise you before you recognise me.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Already got one lined up, thanks guys for being so willing, seems like I have a plan B, C, and D now.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TO CLEAR THINGS UP!

There's a bit of concern that Polycount members may try to crash the Game Artisans shindig. Just wanted to make clear that with the current exploding head count, the joint meetup just doesn't make sense. Members of Game Artisans who are also active with Polycount will instead be crashing our get together at the Thirsty Bear at a later time if they so choose.

Sorry for the confusion guys, this thing expanded pretty fast and the joint meetup idea lived a bit longer than it probably should have.

So yeah, THIRSTY BEAR! Be there! :D
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Is the Thirsty Bear meet up on Thursday or Saturday? And er, what time?
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Just found out today that I'll be there Tues - Fri.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thirsty Bear, Thursday, 7 PM
    Thirsty Bear, Thursday, 7 PM
    Thirsty Bear, Thursday, 7 PM(don't be afraid to show up a bit early or late, it's a hot GDC spot).

Lets make a group effort to let the hostess know there's a Polycount group meeting up so they can steer us guys together.

P.S. I hope this is working for you guys, wasn't exactly planning on being the guy picking locations and times but it just kinda panned out that way.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    You have it happening the same exact time as the Nvidia party at some huge club. But that's ok Polycount is way more baller. ;)
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Crud, don't think I'll be able to make Thursday. How late are you guys planning to stay there?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax wrote: »
    You have it happening the same exact time as the Nvidia party at some huge club. But that's ok Polycount is way more baller. ;)

Cojax, why you gotta sh*t on our dreams?

Seriously though, the idea was to meet up relatively early so if anyone wanted to show up to any big GDC things later they could still pull it off. You can be fashionably late to the Nvidia party for example. Company parties don't get rocking for a bit anyway (but if there's free drinks and you're there early, woooooo! No lines!).

LoTekK, that's really up in the air, depends on how many of us have prior engagements. We don't want to spend all night at the Thirsty Bear as obviously there will be other stuff kicking off, but it'll be a great hub for us to get together, talk about what's going on and we can plan for the rest of the night accordingly.
  • Scicero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Won't be able to make it, too ashamed of my portfolio and too broke. But I will try to make it to SIGGRAPH 2010.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Hopefully you guys will be there for a while, I'll be stopping by later on. Looking forward to meeting, fisticuffs, etc.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I think the Activision party is on at the same time, but hopefully I can swing by earlier on. I can't not go to a bar called the Thirsty Bear...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Turns out I'm going to GDC afterall /shrug... I'll be there Wed-Sat Hope to see you there!
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    I'll be acquiring a badge for friday. So maybe bump into someone
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    I'll be there from thurs to sat, looking forward to meeting some polycounters.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I'm here right now hoping to meet people :p

There isn't a whole lot to do with the expo pass, so if you're bored and want something to do to just walk around or bullshit, text me.

360 430 9137
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    im working the game developers award, which happens to be
    thursday at 7 pm
    :(
    i can swing by there afterwards, but it will prolly be too late (nineish). oh well hope to see you guys around the conference area!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Send us a text man, you got Haiasi's number, mine's 619 251 8534. Good group of us will be coming in weds afternoon going to hit up the women in gaming deal straight out of the airport and then get dinner. Text us if anyone wants to do something that night. By all means hit us up Thurs night after the awards!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I'll come into town and catch you guys Thursday. Wednesday is spoken for at this point.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    I think I'll be able to drop by on Thursday, not really sure what my plans are.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Radical, this is exciting, I'm in san fran now posting this from my g1- super excited about meeting you guys thursday at 7. If it helps, I've got green hair and ill try wearing green and black. Its freezing ass cold though so I might be decked out in other clothes. Hopefully the group will congregate pretty easily.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Damn! I so wish I was going this year :(

TAKE PICTURES. Last years group shot was amazing:

march_09071.jpg
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything about that night was epic, especially pissing them off and just taking over the patio even though they didnt want us there to begin with.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    PARTY MOVED!!!! Hey, hopefully someone thinks to check this. We're gathering at the thirsty bear right now, and its PACKED!

If you happen to read this, place a call or text to. 760-637-6003.

We're forming a large group and we're probably going to move to a more spacious area.
    Call text whatever, just do it and tell others!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Going to lefty's on Geary and Powell. 10 of us are going.

360 430 9137
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Just got back home. Excellent turnout. I think we beat last year. Awesome to meet more people this time around.

Oh and "Turbo" bought pitchers of beer for everyone because he "Loves games and gamers and is going to make a shitload of money off the games [we] make."

Finally got to meet Gauss (and loads of others) too.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Dude, I can't believe that guy. Turbo spent at lease $200+ worth of alcohol for a room of people he never met before. He was incredible. lol
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely an awesome turn out and gauss turning up randomly was fucking ace! It was rad seeing you again, mate.
    Thanks to all that turned up and good meeting all of you. It sucks I didn't get a chance to actually have a proper chat with you, Ninjas. Maybe some other time, dude.

Oh, and ordering breakfast at Denny's at 1am with Teck, then Cody and Empty (who actually have Greentooth tattoos) showing up... Best idea ever!

Here's a photo of everyone who turned up.

pc_meetup.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Ya! That was pure awesome! Gauss, tek, emil, and the lord of crazybump himself? Amazing. And yes, Empty and myself do have polycount tattoos since sat. PC 4 LIFE!

And it's cody not cory, emil. Haha. God I love gdc. And gauss, thanks for the copy of your portfolio, man. It means a lot
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Oh and, ya Turbo FTW! Wtf is that, btw?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, dude... Typo :P