Home General Discussion

Who's going to GDC 2010?

Replies

• Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Yes!! Finally got a Ok from the boss to go. First time for me so Im really excited.

Would be cool to meet up with some of you pros!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I'm going! Just bought my tix. Bye, tax refund!
  • andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh polycounter lvl 10
    I probably won't be able to get much time off work to go check out the GDC this year (had to turn down my volunteer acceptance for the first time in 5 years)...

but I'm gonna see if I can work our company booth and find some time to check out any art-centric stuff on the expo floor!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    A meet up would be cool. I'm heading over again this year.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Work decided to send me, so I'll be there. Haven't been to one of these yet, sounds pretty cool.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I just moved so I'm on a tight budget :(
    next year I'll definitely be there.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I'll be there! I'm excited as hell to go and hoping I make the best use of my time to shake a lot of hands. Hope my knees don't get too sore.

Few friends and I are splitting a hotel and car rental so our TOTAL travel expenses including room is only $160 each, and we're only 5 blocks away from the convention center :)!

So far this thread has just been about who is going. Can we set up a Polycount meeting? Go to a few pubs and grab some drinks? If you get me a job I promise I will pay for your dinners for a year, as well as do any dirty work you need done.

Will be there from the 8th to the 14th. Pretty open on availability because I'm not sure what to do and when since I haven't gone before.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Can any San Fransiscans step up and recommend a place?

Edit: I'd imagine the best plan would to be up at the North building since enough people suggested that, but I'm not sure about where we could all go afterwards. Or when would work.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Ya, so, it turns out I'm not going to GDC (I failed to get in while it was cheap, so spending $250 to attend the expo for 1 day isn't terribly appealing)

Anyway, I'm still interested in the meetup. I concur that a bar would make a lot more sense (I chose a restaurant last time because only 15 peole were supposed to show up!)

Sadly, I don't know nightlife in the area very well, so Valias, I'll certainly accept your, or anyone else's help on choosing a spot. I could come up some evening to do a pre meet up tour to pick a spot if anyone else is interested? We could barhop to different places in the area.

Do we have a preference on day & time yet? Are we still saying Sat at 6:30?
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im going to be in San Fran Wed afternoon to Saturday evening.
    Speak of portfolio, i do not own an iphone nor psp. So would it be the best if I were to print out shots of my assets and put it in a folder with plastic pages? I figure it'd look kinda lame if I were to walk around with my laptop.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nah, take the laptop. Tons of people do, it's not lame. Well, it is, but you're not alone :P
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Unfortunately I wont be at GDC this year but I work downtown so I got some recommendations from co-workers on bars near the convention center and some good options are Jillians, Thirsty Bear, or ROE.

Thirsty Bear is a brewery (with an awesome name), Roe is a cool lounge, and Jillians is a bar/billiards place.

http://www.thirstybear.com/

http://www.roe-sf.com/index.php

http://sanfrancisco.jbcent.com/

All are within a block or two of the convention center.

Also the Thirsty Bear has an upstairs room that they often block off if requested.

For the bar hopping train there is a Gallery called 111 Minna 2 blocks away that has a full bar, and I think they do DJ/music on the second saturday of every month.

http://www.111minnagallery.com/
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    le sigh.

someday. *looks toward the setting sun*
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck Jillians, that place is always crazy packed, especially when something's going on at the convention center.

Thirsty Bear seems awesome (both in name and space available) And it's only like a block from Moscone.

Do we want to try to reserve a private room? Seems like there would be some charges involved/minimum food/beverage purchases, which may be difficult with this crowd.

Thanks for the suggestions Pseudo!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    US art institute kids are only going to be there till friday night, so i'll go ahead and vote for a thursday afternoon meetup for us.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I asked about the charge for reserving a room and a friend said that she has reserved it before with no charge, but that was for a group of 20 something year old girls, the bartenders may have a different opinion in filling their bar with polycounters. Still, chances are if we are bringing in 30 people they will be happy to block of a spot for us just because we will be spending money.

BUT, meetups are always a tossup in who shows with meetings/presentations/company parties so it may not be worth reserving a room if only 10 people end up showing.
    Then again last year Nick planned on 10 and we had 30 so I have no idea how many to expect. It may be best to just show up.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    30?! Pfffft. . . I stopped counting at 56!
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Jillian's is no good? Booo, I wanted me a pool hall so I don't have to change my typical routine of meeting people shooting billiards.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I'm down for whatever 10th through that sat. Thirsty bear sounds sweet. what time we meeting?
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so far Saturday evening and Thursday afternoon have been suggested. I don't know if an afternoon meeting would work or not, it seems like a time people would be busy, I might be wrong though.

Meeting up at the North building and then going to thirsty bear (I love the name) sounds great :) Let's consider that to be what we're doing until someone suggests something better.

Now... to settle on a date and time...
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like I'm going to be at GDC this year. Don't know how much free time I'll have as I'm going to be doing licensee sessions for UE3. Should be interesting though, it'll be my first time going to GDC.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    First time there for me as well, should be interesting to meet people :).
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I'm debating about going to GDC this year. It would be my first time and my primary reason for going would be to try to land a job. I'm just not sure if it's really beneficial for the amount of money I would be spending (likely in the 600-700 dollar range). BTW I'm currently jobless... so 600-700 is like two months rent for me.

I already feel like I know what I need to do to get a job (in terms of asset creation) from these boards, so I'm not sure how much help just talking to people would be outside of simply networking.

My friend in audio got a lot out of it last year, but a mentor of mine at WB games said it was probably not the most bang for your buck, although it was fun.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I am going to the GDC this year although probably only for a day or so. However since I live in the area I would be up for any kind of meetup so people can disagree with me in person ;-)

And as for victor (above) I'd suggest going to something closer to home like PAX. It'd be cheaper.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey I decided I'm going to go to GDC in San Fran. my buddy from L.A. was going so it cut costs down tremendously. I would definitely like to meet up with you all at some point too!
  • hollaAtMe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holla!
    I'll be there as well.
    I say screw goin ta bars and just go on over to the the Gold Club and hang.

HA! :P

Looking forward to meetin some of you guys there! :D
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be going this year. So far it looks like it will be a pretty laid back GDC this go-around.

It would be really cool to meet up with people again. Last year was great! Although whatever we do this year we should make sure Tumerboy doesn't get fucked over this time.

I can't believe its here again! Curse you time-goblins!
  • PaK
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im gonna get there wednesday and be at the show thursday-saturday. im going to like 11 talks.

its my first time, do i haev to like reserve my spot at these talks? or can i just go and sit down if there is room? i have a main conference pass.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thursday's looking very concrete at this point, the game artistans are on board for that date, we just need to plan a good spot!
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    so, do we have an official date & time?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The three spots Walrus of game artisan's have suggested for THURSDAY are the Thirsty Bear (bar with supposedly great beer), a chinese seafood joint that's walking distance but far away enough to be a bit more personal for us game artsits, and chevy's (cheap mexican). All places have drinks but the thirsty bear is gonna be one of the go-to party spots for GDC. Can't help but think we'll end up planning on the Thristy Bear because it's one of the GDC spots to be and closest.

Plenty of room for more meetups. A Thursday meetup and Saturday meetup would make the most sense, we can crash their thursday meetup, they can crash the saturday meetup everyone here seems interested in.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you go back a bit- you'll see thirsty bear mentioned here too. So we'll do that. I like the idea of thurs/sat, that way the people that can't make thurs can go saturday and vica versa. And hell, I know if I had the chance, I'd go to both :D
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I'm going to be there from Wednesday to Saturday. I'm definitely down for meeting up on Thursday evening.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,i am flying all the way from India for the GDC and i am most pleased for a polycount meet up and it will be an honor to meet you all.Will be there through out the week.I am up to the meet on any day during the week.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just say this about thirsty bear- thought it was pretty amusing
    http://sf.funcheap.com/organic-beer-tasting-workshop-thirsty-bear-financial-dist/

Should we set an official time? Maybe like 7? I don't know what a good time would be for everyone.

Also - I wanted to bring attention to this thread
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=69922
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about 5ish?

Might sound a bit early, but GDC will be out by then and it beats sitting in a hotel room.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Not gonna be able to make it for Thursday, but Saturday should work for me. Let's get tanked!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about 5ish?

Might sound a bit early, but GDC will be out by then and it beats sitting in a hotel room.

I was going to say, "sitting in a hotel room?! In SAN FRANSISCO!?" but then I realized it looks like you already live in CA. I went to GDC a while back for the one day student pass and man, even things like those sparkling sidewalks, they blew my mind, I can't wait to spend more than a day there.

5ish doesnt sound too bad though-
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be there from Sunday 7th to Sunday 14th. So I'm good to catch up with who ever at any point in time, be it for drinks, food, sight seeing, sketch session, finding a skatepark, going to a show/gig. Bring it!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I think 7pm sounds better than 5pm. I'm sure there will be a huge amount of people going... would the Thirsty Bear accommodate a lot of people?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I can't make it this year :\
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    next year for me as well ! Have a great time guys !
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, Organized Chaos, you make a good point, some people might want to take the time to explore some of san fran in the hours before the night life. I just figure all the "legit" company parties and what have you will all be schedules for later and it'll be easiest for everyone who wants to show up to get together at 5ish, or later even, i wouldn't imagine this meetup would die too soon. This way was we can have our "polycount/ game artisan shindig" and still make it to whatever stuff we're scheduled for later through GDC.

Who knows maybe we can help steer each other to some great GDC gatherings after the meetup, or if things are going really well, we can just ping pong in the group from bar to bar. The best experience I had at the Austin GDC was just walkin the city streets, finding cheap drinks with a group of 15ish other artists.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Since I just found out the date and time of my talks, and it's not on the official schedule, posting here:

Thursday March 11th , 2:00 - 3:00pm

W hotel Great Room
    1181 3rd Street
    San Francisco CA, 94103

Thursday night is the IGDA dinner, plus another private dinner I'm headed to, so I could possibly head to a polycount thing early, but would have to bail around 8.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I can't make it this year :

:(:(
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up poop :D I'll definitely try to make it

Bummer you won't be there killingpeople and Renaud- but great news you will Nick :)

Emil- my roomate and I are getting there monday night and I think we might run around and explore for most of tues/wed (i'm not sure if anything goes on those days?)

Does anyone have any suggestions of places to go? I'm planning to visit fishermans wharf, museemechanique, the chocolate place, I think she wants to go see the Wicked show but I don't know much about that, someone told me about some weird road worth looking at too.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    On Thursday after the show, the TIGSource crowd is planning on having an "Art-Jam" at the Denny's that's close to the convention center. I love me some casual doodling, so I was planning on heading over there after the show. (I also love me some breakfast for dinner)

You must visit fisherman's wharf at some point. The seafood they have there is fanstastic.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    how have i missed this thread?!
    bummed we wont get to see you killing, it was awesome last year!
    ill be there from sunday to sunday as a CA, bright green shirts this year
    im down for thursday, but saturday night CAs have the closing meeting where they toss out schwag and shenanigans are had. i cant find the exact time for it though
    either way excited to meet some new faces!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting exciting, this is just around the corner!

Poop, a lot of us have student badges, is your talk open to everyone?

Holy crap, i need to head to kinkos soon and get my stuff in a portfolio ;) Can't wait to meet you sob's! :D

Edit: Discussions are still going for the meeting time and location, this one's in game artisan's hands. We should keep an eye on their thread and update this one as soon as more difinitive information is available:
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?p=196253&posted=1#post196253
    I'll try as best I can to keep this thread up to date, not tired just yet.