Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• vlek2903
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlek2903 polycounter lvl 5
    182473B6BECBC0C38BE85C43E0E2978A24A10AD8F062C9A78738B172FA6BA9DA42B69A6895394A22423B3594503890C182A4C0F42482FD7EBA8B802CA2B267CB799150C2053996287A2451D229CB42BDwww.youtube.com/watch?v=v6MjAFzT1qo
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PseiHX1ZjyI"]falling candy effect from DANGeR21 - YouTube[/ame]
  • vlek2903
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • vlek2903
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Great work overall!
    vlek2903 wrote: »
    60F9C02D99678BA897FD186B0F3DF4949E6B1CFA

I was actually doing this exact same idea. Had the file opened already to work on today, in fact, lol.

Guess I'll change mine to be an elf on a reindeer instead of a full sleigh. Or shelve it for now and work on something else.
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Balloon Rudolph

1qXvW
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham wrote: »
    Names of the bones don't really matter. They're mostly for clarity in the qc. If a model only has one jiggly part, I usually just do jiggle1, jiggle2, etc. If there are multiples, I'll use for example hair_jiggle1, hair_jiggle2, strap_jiggle1, etc.

I will say you should make sure all the standard bones and weightmapping is done before you mess with jigglebones at all. After the regular bones are working correctly, then do another pass to assign weights to jigglebones. This is because jigglebones usually require a ton of trial and error, and it's not very productive to do that if the rest of the bone weights aren't finished.

For paintable, you'd add something like this to the vmf:
    //
    // Paintable
    //
      "$blendtintbybasealpha" "1"    // this tints just the alpha whites
      "$blendtintcoloroverbase" "0"  // this tints the whole model

"$colortint_base" "{100 56 56}"  // this is if $blendtintcoloroverbase is 1

"$color2" "{179 76 79}" // Stock Red
      // $color2" "{94 124 170}" // Stock Blu
      // "$color2" "{233 150 122}" // Dark Salmon Injustice
      // "$color2" "{207 115 54}" // Mann Co. Orange
      // "$color2" "{240 230 140}" // The Color of a Gentlemann's Business Pants
      // "$color2" "{231 181 59}" // Australium Gold
      // "$color2" "{50 205 50}" // The Bitter Taste of Defeat and Lime
      // "$color2" "{114 158 66}" // Indubitably Green
      // "$color2" "{128 128 0}" // Drably Olive
      // "$color2" "{66 79 59}" // Zephaniah's Greed
      // "$color2" "{47 79 79}" // A Color Similar to Slate
      // "$color2" "{216 190 216}" // Color No. 216-190-216
      // "$color2" "{255 105 180}" // Pink as Hell
      // "$color2" "{125 64 113}" // A Deep Commitment to Purple
      // "$color2" "{81 56 74}" // Noble Hatter's Violet
      // "$color2" "{230 230 230}" // An Extraordinary Abundance of Tinge
      // "$color2" "{197 175 145}" // Peculiarly Drab Tincture
      // "$color2" "{165 117 69}" // Muskelmannbraun
      // "$color2" "{126 126 126}" // Aged Moustache Grey
      // "$color2" "{124 108 87}" // Ye Olde Rustic Color
      // "$color2" "{105 77 58}" // Radigan Conagher Brown
      // "$color2" "{20 20 20}" // A Distinctive Lack of Hue
      // "$color2" "{184 56 59}" // Team Spirit (RED)
      //"$color2" "{88 133 162}" // Team Spirit (BLU)

"$colortint_tmp" "[0 0 0]" 

"$rimlight" "1"
        "$rimlightexponent" "4"
        "$rimlightboost" "2"

"$cloakPassEnabled" "1"

"Proxies"
        {
            "weapon_invis"
            {
            }

"AnimatedTexture"
            {
                "animatedtexturevar" "$detail"
                "animatedtextureframenumvar" "$detailframe"
                "animatedtextureframerate" 30
            }

"BurnLevel"
            {
                "resultVar" "$detailblendfactor"
            }

"YellowLevel"
            {
                "resultVar" "$yellow"
            }

"Equals"
            {
                "srcVar1" "$yellow"
                "resultVar" "$color2"
            }

"ItemTintColor"
            {
                 "resultVar" "$colortint_tmp"
            }
            "SelectFirstIfNonZero"
            {
                 "srcVar1" "$colortint_tmp"
                 "srcVar2" "$colortint_base"
                 "resultVar" "$color2"
            }

}

There's a post somewhere in this thread where someone explains the mechs of it better than I could, so search for that. Or copy & paste the code into a vmf and experiment. Make sure your vtf has an alpha channel to determine which parts of the model will be painted.

Oh wow, you're a life saver. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to re-do all my rigging work and use a Biped system instead of the bones you get from the SMDImport nonsense anyway. Spent way too long messing with that mess. :P
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work overall!

I was actually doing this exact same idea. Had the file opened already to work on today, in fact, lol.

Guess I'll change mine to be an elf on a reindeer instead of a full sleigh. Or shelve it for now and work on something else.

You and I both, guess I'll have to scrap that model
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    awww Evil_Knevil I love it!!!!
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so it may not be Christmas themed. But it's still Wintery! (sort of)

Meet the Frosty Festungsmeister! First part of a three (possibly four) item set I'm making for this December. Taking a break from my voodoo witch doctor while Passerby does all the difficult stuff for me.

28k35hj.png

Next up, big sassy cigarette holder. Will likely be the easiest damn thing I've ever made.

UPDATE: Literally the easiest thing I've ever made in 3D:

25guwki.jpg
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fairly early WIP with an unfinished texture (solid colours + AO + a wood texture overlay):

wip_nutcrackers01.jpg

Still need to finish the variants for the pyro and demoman as well, and make LODs for all.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, derp. I'm doing a double post here. Normally I'd edit my previous post, but it's been 12 hours so a-bumpin-we go:

Progress on the nutcrackers:

wip_nutcrackers02.jpg
    wip_nutcrackers02b.jpg
    wip_nutcrackers02c.jpg

Textures are not final (they'll be paintable) and I still need to do LODs.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EArkham

Those are looking fantastic! Loving the little customization each one has. Hope to see it in the update!

In other news, finished the cosmetics for my Medic set. Because nothing says "Christmas cheer" like "WWII style German millitary official"

wl2dxi.png

Still got some tweaking to do on the jacket, but close to being ready for compile now.
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay more floating pets and crappy promo shots

hotairballoonpromo1.png
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1sLsC1sLzt

Just trying stuff out, not final.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1sLsC1sLzt

Just trying stuff out, not final.

Looks pretty great to me! Well, the phong/lightwarp is over the top, but I figure that's the WIP part. :)

Got the nutcrackers in the workshop now. Lot of things I could have finetuned but I was kinda "eh, get them done."

workshop_nutcracker_thumb.jpg
    workshop_nutcrackers01.jpg
    workshop_nutcrackers01b.jpg
    workshop_nutcrackers02.jpg
  • acreativebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acreativebox polycounter lvl 7
    Hey peeps, been checking in and out of this thread for quite a while without having the chance to contribute something of my own, until now! I present to you 'Uncle Samuel's Beaver Hat'! A blatant hat paying homage to the hat Uncle Sam wears on the "I want YOU"-posters! Brilliant headwear for all you patriotic americans! America f*** yeah!

csch_2withphong_ingame_promo2.png
    csch_gen2_styles_preview.png

Extremely appreciative of all your comments and feedback! Thanks in advance!
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myrigisdumb.jpg

Okay so rigging was a LOT harder than I thought it'd be.
    just spent like three hours trying to rig both the coat and boats.
    I did my best to recreate the rig for the scout with a cat rig and added bones for the tassels and hood.
    I have no idea how to fix any of this stuff. I tried adjusting the skin weights but everything just keeps acting crazy.
    How can I get it so the hood bones only effect the hood?
    How can I get it so when I move the bones for the legs the zippers don't warp?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could look at my rig and yell at me what I'm doing wrong.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xza049t2aoik40/scoutfixes.zip
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amtyk wrote: »
    I did my best to recreate the rig for the scout with a cat rig and added bones for the tassels and hood.

There's your main problem. You'll never be able to recreate a rig and have it perfectly match the existing one, and clothing items need to perfectly match.

Use the existing scout smd in the source sdk files, or find the ones from this forum that someone has prepared.

If you're using XSI Mod Tool, you won't be able to import the smd without breaking the weightmapping. Use Blender or Max.
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's your main problem. You'll never be able to recreate a rig and have it perfectly match the existing one, and clothing items need to perfectly match.

Use the existing scout smd in the source sdk files, or find the ones from this forum that someone has prepared.

If you're using XSI Mod Tool, you won't be able to import the smd without breaking the weightmapping. Use Blender or Max.

Okay so I dug up a bones rig for the Scout, but now I'm running into another problem.
    Some areas on my rig when I try to paint their skin weight or adjust their effect, they are all or thing (like if I want the effect to be orange/.5 it will either go pure white/no effect or red/100% with no inbetween).
    I have no idea why it would do that.
    And stuff like that gets pretty crazy around the actual hood area...

Here's my MAX if anyone cares to look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2i0qtjvn9ry4are/scout_rig_help.zip

I'd appreciate any feedback.
  • nano393
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I dug up a bones rig for the Scout, but now I'm running into another problem.
    Some areas on my rig when I try to paint their skin weight or adjust their effect, they are all or thing (like if I want the effect to be orange/.5 it will either go pure white/no effect or red/100% with no inbetween).
    I have no idea why it would do that.
    And stuff like that gets pretty crazy around the actual hood area...

I'd appreciate any feedback.

For some reason i can't open the MAX file (my max is 2011), but maybe it's the same problem i have sometimes while doing the skin. The thing is that certain vertices need to be affected by a nearby bone first, and then you can adjust the weigth of that vertex. Maybe that's the problem?
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nano393 wrote: »
    For some reason i can't open the MAX file (my max is 2011), but maybe it's the same problem i have sometimes while doing the skin. The thing is that certain vertices need to be affected by a nearby bone first, and then you can adjust the weight of that vertex. Maybe that's the problem?

Oh, I'm running 2013 at the moment, that's probably why. :P
    Updated the zip to have a 2011 save.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hnemwpkpaich00/scout_rig_help_2011.zip

Hmm... haven't thought about that. Though some of the overlapping points (around the mid section of my coat for instance) I KNOW have more than one bone affecting them and I still get that all or nothing problem.
  • NBC011795
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if this question has been asked here before, but how do you add the "Genteel Pipe Smoke" effect to an item?
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBC011795 wrote: »
    I don't know if this question has been asked here before, but how do you add the "Genteel Pipe Smoke" effect to an item?

Try this. It's for XSI, but the process is more or less the same in Max.
  • nano393
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... haven't thought about that. Though some of the overlapping points (around the mid section of my coat for instance) I KNOW have more than one bone affecting them and I still get that all or nothing problem.

Ok, i checked the file and see the same problem i tell you before. I tried to fix some of the vertices. Hope the file can help you a bit. By the way, nice model you have there :thumbup:

http://www.mediafire.com/?63uc22hq134ok6l
  • NBC011795
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try this. It's for XSI, but the process is more or less the same in Max.

Thanks for the link, I will work on it when I have time, hopefully I wont run into any problems, though I am using Blender and not XSI or 3DSMax :)

*EDIT* I am pretty sure I did everything right, but how can I test the item? (ItemTest is broken)
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, i checked the file and see the same problem i tell you before. I tried to fix some of the vertices. Hope the file can help you a bit. By the way, nice model you have there :thumbup:

http://www.mediafire.com/?63uc22hq134ok6l

Thanks for that! Really appreciate it. Time to put my WoW Enviroment Concept Paint (if you're wondering what I'm on about: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/university-relations/contest.html) on overdrive so I can get to work on my TF2 stuff (wish I was a faster painter).
    Yeah, it's probably one of the only 3D models I've ever done that I'm actually super proud of, which makes it all the more satisfying to work on. :D

Really really rreeaaaallly hope it gets in. Along with my boots. And maybe a hat! :>
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am pretty sure I did everything right, but how can I test the item? (ItemTest is broken)

Unless you've already converted all the files to VMTs and VDMs, then you really can't (to my knowledge). Make sure you have two LODs (one being under 1000 polys); there are no Rat's Nests, holes in the geometry, or end-gons- etc; and that all your textures are TARGAs (works best for me) and all OBJs exported perfectly.

I believe that you can test them in the TF2 Workshop submitting area inside of TF2. If you're really desperate.

You could always back up whatever files you've made in IT and re-install Source SDK too. Maybe try it on a different PC if you can?
  • NBC011795
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless you've already converted all the files to VMTs and VDMs, then you really can't (to my knowledge). Make sure you have two LODs (one being under 1000 polys); there are no Rat's Nests, holes in the geometry, or end-gons- etc; and that all your textures are TARGAs (works best for me) and all OBJs exported perfectly.

I believe that you can test them in the TF2 Workshop submitting area inside of TF2. If you're really desperate.

You could always back up whatever files you've made in IT and re-install Source SDK too. Maybe try it on a different PC if you can?

What I meant by itemtest being broken is that I cant add the effect on the itemtest map, and from everything I have seen they don't work for anyone else either so :/
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I meant by itemtest being broken is that I cant add the effect on the itemtest map, and from everything I have seen they don't work for anyone else either so :/

Opp, my bad :X
    Hmm... I'd go grab one of the items that has the Pipe-smoke particles files, de-compile it (you can find the compilers on the TF2 Workshop Instructions page or Valve Dev Community site I'm sure), and open up it's code properties. I'm sure that's where the problem lies.
    I'd also look to see what they named the area that emits the particle and follow that naming convention.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, I tested something with a particle effect a long time ago. I'm pretty sure what I had to do was compile it to replace an existing item, then test it on a local server with sv_cheats 1 and thirdperson.
  • KevinLongtime
  • nano393
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit late, but here is another saxxy item.

FCCC10EAC69A9105EF1C5B877A8E342EDB4DFBF3
  • Psyke
  • Upsidedownface
    Happy holidays for the haberdashers.

The Gruss vom Krampus Set

Horns of Krampus

xHRz9.jpg

DQFnl.png
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=110138161 (there's a youtube video on this page showcasing all three items)

Ears of Krampus

ZsHvv.jpg

7jjpw.png
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=110139775

Mask of Krampus

cYeSf.jpg

8BmcY.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=110138161
  • vlek2903
  • vlek2903
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heavy_librarian_promo1.png

All comments/constructive criticism welcome
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the item, but the texture definitely needs work. Here's the textures for the Hero's Tail and Magistrates Mullet (Top and bottom, respectively) - take a peek at these textures and try to emulate something similar. A sort of painted specularity to it, good amounts of variation, and just "jittery" enough to still look like real hair.

1v0Hj
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the item, but the texture definitely needs work. Here's the textures for the Hero's Tail and Magistrates Mullet (Top and bottom, respectively) - take a peek at these textures and try to emulate something similar. A sort of painted specularity to it, good amounts of variation, and just "jittery" enough to still look like real hair.

1v0Hj

Unfortunately I used the Coupe Disaster as a reference instead of other hair items, I'll look into trying to make the hair look better though (with my lack of artistic talent)
  • Psyke
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silly pocket items

1voFX

I used the engi's pocket as a reference, the mesh for this pocket is my own
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So my rigging is going swimmingly~
    Go my entire coat rigged!
    I'm (finally) ready to get started exporting and getting everything in ItemTest!
    Now I was wondering, do I have to include the entire rig on export, only the bones used, or only the custom bones used?
    I've never had to actually export anything with bones before. :P

Got another Paint-able Textures question.
    At the moment, I have this for my texture:
    testmaterial.jpgtestmaterial.jpg

And I also have three alphas (Dark Stripes, Light Stripes, and the Red Collar).
    Coat_POLY_CHANNELS.pngcoatpolychannels.png

How should I go about adapting the texture I currently have?
    I saw an example of a paint-able texture someone had in the thread, but I can't seem to find it.
    Currently, my painting detail is mostly from AO bakes on Overall over a Diffuse bake. So I think I should be alright in that regard.
    Also, how can I use a Styles system to make it so it uses these different alpha effectively?
    Another concern I have is in the Paint-able VMT Code there is only one default color associated slot for both red and blue's default team colors, and I'm concerned on how I could make it so all the color changes (whether be team changes or painting) happen on one map.
    Or am I just going to have to suck it up and use a map for both red and blue?

Here's my PSD if anyone wants to peak:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9tij8jhxlamvsk/Coat_Bake_DIFF09.psd
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone. Well first time around here, but i see a lot of good items today, so i finally decided. Let me contribute with something :)

2B6AB784D8249962FC4884C93D06A9E27664F513
    Congrats man! I just saw this in the video!
  • vlek2903
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C65967FF25DB2957016B1A37B1EBE1E8849B91A5
    added second style
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid the pocket and started texturing it

609e8e53.png
    30657526.png

Workshopped

ammoreserve_promo1.png
  • vlek2903
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E4647DA051CE3CCADC72A41854B91C9CE2369FC8
    added new version xMas ball
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emrfish6 wrote: »
    30657526.png

Looks promising, but that part where the rocket is sticking out stands out in a bad way because of the gap. It'd look a lot better if you made the flap stretched out around the rocket so you could hide that dark area. Right now it's kinda like the rocket is stuck in plastic.

[EDIT] For yet more Xmas stuffs:

wip_xmas_overload02.jpg

All class. Texture isn't finished (that one white bulb is due to phong incidence ...though it uses the existing animated texture).

The concept is kinda daft. I think I'll go ahead and finish it however since I'm this far along.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RetroMike polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone here know about Bodygroups? More specifically I want to make an item that replaces the Scouts dogtags and I need to know how to use body groups to turn them off.
  • Squeezit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foI8k.jpg

A little something I'm working on for Heavy. Turns out he really is the only one that likes fruit cake, so the Administrator got him a specially wrapped one for the holidays!

On a side note, still trying to figure out how to get it onto weapon_bone and exporting it properly with the bone included. I am using Blender. (The bread texture is gonna be better later on.)
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    e32dfe9585b95f8acd5aa11df78a6a34

Blammo, some tests.