Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• JoshuaC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaC polycounter lvl 13
    What program did you use to create the model? You need to assign the exact name of your material in your modelling program before export.

That's the #1 cause of my models not initially having textures.
  • Wiggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i use 3dsMax, and all .tga filenames correspond to eachother.

The second attempt was with the VTF-plugin for 3dsMax, i applied the .vtf as diffuse to the maxfile before exporting, with filepath F:\Steam\Steam\steamapps\soliopath\team fortress 2\tf\materials\models\player\items\pyro
    same result.

edit: random smiley appearing
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has been very quiet round here... Is everyone making items for DOTA?
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope. Investigating buildings, here's a teleporter prototype:

test3.gif

Ignore the legs, I'm still sorting out how big everything needs to be to fit into the toolbox when folded up.
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Finally finished this up.
    8dMyY.png
    sGdF0.png
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106075601&searchtext=

Thanks to the Spooksman for the sfm promo!
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast wrote: »

test3.gif

Ignore the legs, I'm still sorting out how big everything needs to be to fit into the toolbox when folded up.

I'm seeing a classic car vibe in there, Elbagast. Maybe a bit of art deco styling?
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast wrote: »

test3.gif

Just watched this for a good two minutes. Mesmerising. Would a simple bevel along the hinges on top of the tele be good? Having a seam might highlight how it got like that.
  • Wiggles
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    34sfh8n.jpg

Concept art for the "Tetrodo-Tagger". Old rifle turned Voodoo-dartgun.

Because for some reason I think the idea of a Voodoo Witchdoctor Sniper is brilliant. So I'm making a set for it.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Masich wrote: »
    Because for some reason I think the idea of a Voodoo Witchdoctor Sniper is brilliant. So I'm making a set for it.
    Maybe because they both wear Ol' Snaggletooths?
    Seriously though, this is looking great. I really like the theme, Sniper learning from the natives of the exotic places where he's hunted.
    Damn, this also reminds me of how much I want Sparkwire&Svdl's Jurassic Pack for Sniper.
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    Very early shots of my Scout winter-holiday pack, in Maya.

The textures aren't done. Not even nearly done. Most of them are nothing more than an AO bake and some fill. Shall make progress on those this week. Hopefully get most of it in-game by the weekend.

Feedback still welcome, though.

Left-to-right:
    Heated Debate - Force-A-Nature replacement
    Warm Embrace - Boston Boom Bringer replacement
    Winter Warmer - Mad Milk OR Atomic Punch replacement
    Muffled Sound - Hat/Ear phones replacement

The shotgun has been posted earlier, you can see that post here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1678032&postcount=15160

wipall.jpg
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RetroMike polycounter lvl 11
    maty wrote: »
    Very early shots of my Scout winter-holiday pack, in Maya.

The textures aren't done. Not even nearly done. Most of them are nothing more than an AO bake and some fill. Shall make progress on those this week. Hopefully get most of it in-game by the weekend.

Feedback still welcome, though.

Left-to-right:
    Warm Embrace - Boston Boom Bringer replacement
    Winter Warmer - Mad Milk OR Atomic Punch replacement
    Muffled Sound - Hat/Ear phones replacement

The shotgun has been posted earlier, you can see that post here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1678032&postcount=15160

wipall.jpg

Love it. I can't wait to see the textures. My only worry is with your shot gun; I also made an over under shotgun and unless there is some clever way around it you will need to make new animations for it.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    33oktgn.png

All the weapons for the Baron Straliadai set.

The Tetrodo-Tagger (Primary), Voodoo-Brewdoo (secondary) and Haitian Limbhacker (melee).

Will probably start modelling later tonight.
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    RetroMike wrote: »
    Love it. I can't wait to see the textures. My only worry is with your shot gun; I also made an over under shotgun and unless there is some clever way around it you will need to make new animations for it.

I'm trying to get in touch with someone from Valve who could possibly offer some insight. Will keep you posted!

I also do have an animator (a colleague at work) who's up for doing some animations, but I'm not sure on how best to submit such things to Valve?! Or even how it works, I'll be needing to investigate it. If we make some progress, I'll keep you all posted and make any files open for public use for your own projects!
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to get in touch with someone from Valve who could possibly offer some insight. Will keep you posted!

I also do have an animator (a colleague at work) who's up for doing some animations, but I'm not sure on how best to submit such things to Valve?! Or even how it works, I'll be needing to investigate it. If we make some progress, I'll keep you all posted and make any files open for public use for your own projects!

You're my hero. Hope you get some feedback from valve soon. :)
  • Kazzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time since I've posted here... More like first time I actually posted an item here.

The Morality Booze

moralitybooze.png

Does anyone know if I can have two different channels for phong masks and paint in the same VTF? The thing I want to be paintable is the one thing I don't want to be glossy.
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    Easiest way and the only way I'm aware of is to use paint mask in the diffuse alpha and specular mask in the normal map alpha channel.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazzy wrote: »
    Long time since I've posted here... More like first time I actually posted an item here.

The Morality Booze

moralitybooze.png

Does anyone know if I can have two different channels for phong masks and paint in the same VTF? The thing I want to be paintable is the one thing I don't want to be glossy.

Make the base texture as normal with the paintable area on the alpha. Then make a normal map texture (bump) with the specular/phong on the alpha channel for that. Did this with my Lantern Imp to make it paintable and have control over the spec.

Sadly my power is out an not coming back soon; otherwise I would post the .VMT script.
  • Kazzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick replies, I have however decided not to make the item paintable as it would look incredibly ugly. Screw what the community wants :D.

Thanks though.
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    Finally submitted my firework model. Took me long enough...

Do rate! Comments welcome!

4F95CC8697E3329511EBCA09502F03C9E2EEF0C1
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on the Tetrodo-Tagger before I go and collapse into bed because it's 4am and I'm friggen stupid.

nc1hkn.png
    35i82ki.png1z1xxt4.png24qslr4.png
  • Pogo
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Masich
    Maybe you should make the skull on the bottle look like the kill icon skull?
    Killicon_skull.png
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Masich
    Maybe you should make the skull on the bottle look like the kill icon skull?
    Killicon_skull.png

That's a pretty good idea. The text in the concept art is very thrown-together. The end result will be much more polished.
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    Started simple texture work. I don't think they need much more detail than they have now, but feedback would be welcome!

No word about my inquiries into the Force-A-Nature gun replacement issues. May just have to wing out some new animations.

*small edit: adjusted coffee cup to have cardboard sleeve.

Unshaded, so you can see the textures:
    wipxmasscoutshaded2.jpg

Shaded version viewable here:
    http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3490/wipxmasscoutshaded.jpg
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    I like this quite a bit, but I think it'd be sexier if more of the base camera were visible.

In fact, an external camera with a band around the hat holding it on seems more TF2-ish to me.
    Pogo wrote: »
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Tetrodo-Tagger, condensed into one image (and ribbed) for your pleasure:

30ksw02.png
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    Good morning, all!

Firstly - To all who don't know:
    TF2 has a new 'Import' (beta) function in-game when you head into Publish new Item.

This supports .FBX! You just need your model to scale, and the correct joint in there, orientated correctly (i.e. bip_head when making a hat).

Supports not just hats by default!Beards, backpacks, noise makers... etc!

Supports paintable textures with painted preview. Just use the alpha in your diffuse as you normally would.

Supports team colors.

Loads it onto the selected class in a preview window in the game, no more HLMV!

Has an icon maker tool - useful for painted varieties, keeps consistent camera.

It will save your compiled model into a file you can open later to tweak and test.

What it doesn't do yet:
    Support weapons (although it will still compile successfully using weapon_bone, you'll just need to head into itemtest level afterwards)
    Support normal maps - but you can manually edit the VMT from within TF2 now!
    Doesn't have much option to hide cosmetic stuff in the preview window. Like earphones...

Hopefully that will put some novices more on the right track, is much easier to use than the itemtest wizard!

Moving on! I've tweaked the textures of my Christmas items a little. The coffee cup lid is darker as it was glaring white. And the ear muffs had their paintable area increased, it wasn't noticeable in-game.

As these were updated on my work's machine, I can't test the changes until I get home tonight, so for now you will have to make do with the good old Maya BDRF sampler with the TF2 ramp plugged in!

wipxmasscoutshadered.jpg

Feedback appreciated!
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got around to finishing this up

spoilsofwar_promo1.png
  • fusedgore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedgore polycounter lvl 13
    pogo I really like that hat .It has so many applications that I hope valve does add it to the game .

@Masich Nice sniper rifle man .Looking great so far .
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    Unless people have further suggestions, I feel ready to get these in game and do final tweaks this weekend.

Taken from Maya, 8x AA with BDRF Cgfx shader, TF2 ramp and single light. Closest you can get to previewing in Maya.

Warm Embrace - Backpack

bottle2.jpg

Winter Warmer - Mad Milk or BONK! Atomic Punch

cupp.jpg

gune.jpg

Muffled Sound - Earphones

muffs.jpg
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys,
    @maty thank you very much
    @EArkham the idea behind it was "badly hidden camera" hence the camera body inside the hat.
    @fusedgore Thanks - I wanted to fill the spies need for a cowboy hat while still having something unique
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    Updated my firework texture, so its not so jarring, busy and is a bit more consistent.

Do rate if you like :).

66A34383E2E4F8D4319E114EA2F259941E2A264E

F0E930DE1D23D11879CC971707213049AA9AD7F9

51FF71363942A786618E313AD2E7D1C37B3D8BD4

8591A47C0C8B6BC42FB1CEFB37C32E8EF89F29C1
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished modelling the Tetrodo-Tagger. I can say with much deliberation that ORGANIC MODELS CAN GO BUGGER OFF AAUUUGH BIRD SKULLS WHYYY...

I need Zbrush.

15vue1.png

And now, I get to cry in a corner for a while because now I have to unwrap this bastard.

And yes, those are bullet-darts. Because regular darts or regular bullets just weren't cool enough, dangit.

Oh, and this bastard has 14k tris WOO! I GET TO MAKE LODS I'm gonna go die now kay.
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wrapinupinwinterallinon.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0yhi269w7xiuyp/WrapinUpInWinter_AllInOne_01.png

Info:
    Title: "Wrapin' Up in Winter"
    Under Coat:188 polys
    Over Coat: 879 polys
    Over Coat's Hood: 473 polys
    Coat Total: 1540 polys

Socks: 358 ploys
    Shoes: 1190
    Boots Total: 1668 polys

So I just started working on this yesterday and been working on it for about 10 hours now. (These are my first TF2 items.)
    Hoping to get it unwrapped by this coming weekend or something. I'm also gonna try to make it paint able; I've found a few things, but I can't find any tips on workflow for that. I also want to make it so the over coat and the socks can have styles for A) Solid Color, B) Color w/ Black Strips, and C) Color w/ Lighter Color Strips.
    [Default being A]
    Another thought I've had is making a normal for the boots so it can have treads on them- however for a game like TF2 I feel like a really, reaaallly good diffuse could be used and save on processing power and such. This also goes for any zippers on the model.

Any input would be awesome.
  • Wiggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless people have further suggestions, I feel ready to get these in game and do final tweaks this weekend.

Warm Embrace - Backpack

bottle2.jpg

I miss some texture on this; e.g. the ridges in the middle and a brandstamp
    in the TF2 broad brush-stroke style.
    1071026-appeg-warmwaterzak-duo-nl-500.jpg

(unless you were already ahead of me, then ignore what i said)
  • Voidoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voidoid polycounter lvl 7
    8D872D210629900FCC9F860B102BC14E353E38E6
    1BE43287F3D70CD4A12543EE793EF75660C54D54

The Odd Job

All images link to the Workshop. Click to vote and all that.
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, I'm making a christmas item for the spy and I'm having huge trouble getting it in game :( Its a clothing item so it used most of the spy rig and I have managed to get it in with skinning but there is no texture and the skinning it pretty broken even though its definitely there :( If anyone could help I can send my QC files etc... and I would be very very appreciative! Thanks in advance any nice person who could give me a hand! :)

It might also be worth mentioning that I can get the texture to work with the obj (but obviously no skinning) but it wont work with the SMD exports. Any ideas why?
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voidoid wrote: »
    1BE43287F3D70CD4A12543EE793EF75660C54D54

The Odd Job

All images link to the Workshop. Click to vote and all that.

I'd hate to point out the obvious bugbear, but having the hat held one way in first person and then held completely different in third person is a huge no-no. It'd look MUCH better if you flipped the FPS one to how you have it in the third person. And if you're meaning to have it thrown, thats how it'd be done.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Cleaver is held differently in third and first person (you can't tell, but it uses a different mesh for each to fix a rotation bug), so it is technically possible.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eyelander is also completely different (two handed grip in 3rd and one handed in 1st).
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham wrote: »
    Eyelander is also completely different (two handed grip in 3rd and one handed in 1st).
    No, the Eyelander's always been two-handed in 1st person.
    120px-Eyelander_with_Chargin%27_Targe_1st_person.png
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was definitely a mismatch on one of his swords at some point, where he was using the standard melee animations instead of the two-handed hold. I'm 100% positive on this because a group of us were standing around in a server as demoknights and remarking on it. It was awhile ago, so perhaps it's been fixed.

Anyway, here's some more junky wip:

wip_frychester04.jpg
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick repost! I have managed to get my spy item in....kinda :) If anyone could give me a hand with the material and skinning (the arms just dont seem to work) I would massively appreciate it!! I can post my QC file but would rather do it in a PM to save filling up this page. Thanks in advance, I'm nearly there but I've been banging my haad against a wall with this for about 24 hours now :(

spyphotoshopcopy.jpg
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you used the skeleton from the sdk, which has incorrect bone rotations - its best to decompile your own character model and skin to that. As for the missing texture, it could be that the texture name its looking for doesn't match what you have called the vmt, or the vmt doesn't point to the correct vtf, or the vmt just isn't in the correct location.
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Pogo, I did that and the skinning works great now! I have also managed to get the material in but the blue version isn't working, hopefully I will get there soon. I did everything without itemtest in the end because it seems to be a bit rubbish with skinned items :(
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so everything is working now apart from the blue skin. The red skin material is applied in max when I export the SMD and this works. I assume its an error in my QC file. This is what it looks like. Any ideas? And I have two VTFs and two VMTs and they point to the right things. I'm so close!!!!! Thanks in advance!

spybrokenteamcolour.jpg
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent wrote: »
    Ok so everything is working now apart from the blue skin. The red skin material is applied in max when I export the SMD and this works. I assume its an error in my QC file. This is what it looks like. Any ideas? And I have two VTFs and two VMTs and they point to the right things. I'm so close!!!!! Thanks in advance!

spybrokenteamcolour.jpg

First, remove lines 1, 9, 15-31, 33

Second, change line 12 and 13 to:
    { "spy_jumper_red" }
    { "spy_jumper_blue" }

Third, change line 34 to:
    $sequence idle "spyjumper_lod0.smd" fps 30.00

• jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok this is my new QC file....its all still the same so it hasn't got any worse :) Still no blue texture though :(

qcbroken3.jpg

Thanks very much for helping me!