• larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    patrix1221 wrote: »
    GUUsx.jpg

B37054F41FD9CA3696B6B8950BBC9A7507F72A51

Nice presentation there.

My work seems to heavily influence contributors work given the countless times I've had to confront someone and bring up something about how they've been "inspired" by my work in some way or form. I don't know if I'm meant to be honoured or angry! Maybe both!

I don't know what to do with things like this because TF2 contribution is already a rather derivative field anyway, not to mention cut-throat competitive, but in that respect people care less about lifting elements from fellow contributors. It's just that I'm an illustrator to heart and when people do stuff like this you usually take a defensive stance on it.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    Yikes ... Looks like we could use a distraction.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Conway Twitty.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2aeRg_yMSE"]Conway Twitty - I See The Want To In Your Eyes - YouTube[/ame]

But seriously that is a tad awkward, I do believe Laro is entirely justified here :/
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello there guys good works as always keep it up!!! since i am new to making items for TF2 i have some doubts about the capabilities and limitations of these items.

Does anyone knows if i can add personalized animations to a Misc Item (and its difficulties)? for example simple rotation in one axis, i ask this because the item i have in my mind depends entirely in the fact that it will be rotating, and that rotation will not be continious it will stop sometime and then it will start again.

I have another doubt, since the Normal Maps in TF2 are "rare" (according to my knowledge) why is it that some people make LODS of their items?
    answer would be appreciated thx a lot
    saludos!!!
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro wrote: »

Nice presentation there.

My work seems to heavily influence contributors work given the countless times I've had to confront someone and bring up something about how they've been "inspired" by my work in some way or form. I don't know if I'm meant to be honoured or angry! Maybe both!

I don't know what to do with things like this because TF2 contribution is already a rather derivative field anyway, not to mention cut-throat competitive, but in that respect people care less about lifting elements from fellow contributors. It's just that I'm an illustrator to heart and when people do stuff like this you usually take a defensive stance on it.

You've had pretty back luck with that recently, laro.
  • Seba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sniper_concept1.png

I'm actually quite pleased with this, especially with the wood around the edges. I might model it, might not. Oh, and it's based heavily (aka pretty much 100%) on the Karabin wz.35, a Polish anti-tank rifle from the 30's.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    larolaro wrote: »

Nice presentation there.

The only similarity I can see that's consistent with your model but not the default minigun are the yellow cables, and those placed and arranged entirely differently. I think you're getting a bit overly sensitive about this, mate.
    I have another doubt, since the Normal Maps in TF2 are "rare" (according to my knowledge) why is it that some people make LODS of their items?
    answer would be appreciated thx a lot
    saludos!!!
    Level-of-Detail models and normal maps aren't related. LODs are required so that the further away the player is from a model in the world, the less polys need to be rendered. You actually have to make at least one LOD to be allowed to submit to the workshop.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Jackablade wrote: »
    The only similarity I can see that's consistent with your model but not the default minigun are the yellow cables, and those placed and arranged entirely differently. I think you're getting a bit overly sensitive about this, mate.

I'm not really sure you read my post, I'm referring to the presentation thumbnail not the 3D model. I'm not attacking anyone or anything, I'm merely saying that I accept that people do this kinda of thing, I'm just letting people know that I am aware of it happening even if the people doing it may think otherwise.

patrix1221 has already sincerely apologised, even though he didn't really need to! :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I see what you're getting at. Carry on.
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that the sapper has a backpack slot, I made a replacement for it.

gG7VT.jpg

Also made a shotgun a few days ago with a buddy of mine, Hideous. A shotgun made for the Flare Gun animations.

tKI5L.jpg
  • peege
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the shaven in look on the stock. That's nice stuff.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RetroMike polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys. New to the site (though I have lurked a long while) after seeing all this great stuff for TF2 I decided to take a shot at making something. I'm a fairly decent 3D artist but I've got tons to learn still so any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

It seems TF2 recently updated to allow PDA and Sapper slots so I sat down yesterday and took a shot at making a sapper. 1,635 tri, Working texture is 1024x1024, I suppose I should drop that to 512x512 but the text gets a bit muddy.

TC.jpg

Problem is item test keeps failing when I try to compile weapons models. I've been looking about for help on this but all tutorials seem to focus on hats and don't run into the problems I'm having.

Specifically the error I get is
    ERROR: 'EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION' (assert: 1)
    ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'player/items/spy/0x01769a4d/Turncoat/Turncoat.mdl'

I've also started a Medigun where i get a totally different error regarding the bone hierarchy even though I duplicated what the base medigun has down to the weighting.
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    RetroMike wrote: »
    Hey guys. New to the site (though I have lurked a long while) after seeing all this great stuff for TF2 I decided to take a shot at making something. I'm a fairly decent 3D artist but I've got tons to learn still so any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

It seems TF2 recently updated to allow PDA and Sapper slots so I sat down yesterday and took a shot at making a sapper. 1,635 tri, Working texture is 1024x1024, I suppose I should drop that to 512x512 but the text gets a bit muddy.

TC.jpg

Problem is item test keeps failing when I try to compile weapons models. I've been looking about for help on this but all tutorials seem to focus on hats and don't run into the problems I'm having.

Specifically the error I get is
    ERROR: 'EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION' (assert: 1)
    ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'player/items/spy/0x01769a4d/Turncoat/Turncoat.mdl'

I've also started a Medigun where i get a totally different error regarding the bone hierarchy even though I duplicated what the base medigun has down to the weighting.

The texture could use some edge highlighting and some wear/tear on the metal. Can you paste your .qc? I might be able to help with the compiling.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I like the tranceiver but there might be an issue with the blue/red scheme.

Maybe team color and orange instead?

And the toggle switch doesn't look right. It looks bent where it goes in, the lever would be on a little ball, so it doesn't bend it rotates. I know, nitpicky and probably not noticable in game...
  • Dr_Godzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seba wrote: »
    sniper_concept1.png

I'm actually quite pleased with this, especially with the wood around the edges. I might model it, might not. Oh, and it's based heavily (aka pretty much 100%) on the Karabin wz.35, a Polish anti-tank rifle from the 30's.

I think it looks fantastic, if you could model it and keep the same stylized look, it would be beautiful.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober wrote: »
    The texture could use some edge highlighting and some wear/tear on the metal. Can you paste your .qc? I might be able to help with the compiling.
    I agree, the texture does need some more ware n tear.
    Ya know I think I've been going about this wrong. I was lead to believe that all you needed was your exported SMD's and TGA and that ItemTest would do the leg work. Seems that is not the case and I need to do a lot more reading on how to get weapons in game.

If anyone can point me to a detail method of how to get my sapper in that would be great,
    Baddcog wrote: »
    I like the tranceiver but there might be an issue with the blue/red scheme.

Maybe team color and orange instead?

And the toggle switch doesn't look right. It looks bent where it goes in, the lever would be on a little ball, so it doesn't bend it rotates. I know, nitpicky and probably not noticable in game...

The toggle is a little off. I took it right off the original Sapper view model and didn't bother to alter it. Kind of wanted to keep the same look for the switch. Changing it wouldn't be to hard though.

As for the colors on the readout it might make more sense if I told you what I had in mind for the sapper. I was thinking it would turn enemy equipment over to the opposing team for a short period of time. So the meeter would start out 100% on the opposing color and work it's way to 100% of your team as it takes over. showing the amount of control it has over the system.

Changes equipment loyalty for 20 secs (was thinking 30 but that might be to long), can deploy only 1 at a time. Not sure they would go for a sapper like that. Maybe.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awsome stuff lately guys, wish i had more time to work on my stuff. hopefully ill get some updates on my bnw posted soon
  • Royzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peege wrote: »
    What kind of jigglebones are you using, Rigid, or Flexible?

None currently, though I imagine I'll be using Flexible (it is for a waggling shark tail).
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    3897e98a.png

Fear my bucket.
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sexy Robot: Medieval Brain Bucket? Feels too similar to me. (Yes I know the game has many similar hats)
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the bucket is pretty supah-bad-ass!
    I know that it's not in the soldier's norm to peek, but a knothole or crack where you could see a hint of one eye would be funny.

You could call it the "Field Latrine"

Best
    Mark
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    3897e98a.png

Fear my bucket.
  • justinms66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a Dive Helmet, what do you think? Also need to think of a name

divingtf2_wip03_1.jpg
    divingtf2_wip03_2.jpg
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    The Peon's Pail

600x337.resizedimage
    600x337.resizedimage
    600x337.resizedimage

Click the images for a link.
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Peon's Pail

Great name!
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    justinms66 wrote: »
    Working on a Dive Helmet, what do you think? Also need to think of a name

divingtf2_wip03_1.jpg
    divingtf2_wip03_2.jpg

How about "The Deep Cover"
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DMark wrote: »
    Love the helmet and the suggested name :)
  • peege
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely like the bucket helmet. Particularly the warped looking wood planks.
  • justinms66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DMark wrote: »
    LOVE the name suggestion. Thank you very much, I believe I will be using it.
  • Detweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really looking for help texturing this "medicine man" hat I modeled for Medic, keeping it themed with both Heavy and Soldiers native american themed hats. Anyone have any tips?

rp0pW.jpg
    gNyIK.jpg
  • justinms66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Detweiler wrote: »
    Really looking for help texturing this "medicine man" hat I modeled for Medic, keeping it themed with both Heavy and Soldiers native american themed hats. Anyone have any tips?

The AO looks good, but now you need some color variation for visual breakup, try reading through this guide, it was extremely helpful to me: Texturing for Team Fortress 2: A Short Guide
  • Detweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    justinms66 wrote: »
    The AO looks good, but now you need some color variation for visual breakup, try reading through this guide, it was extremely helpful to me: Texturing for Team Fortress 2: A Short Guide

I mean, I've read through that, know about brush strokes and all that, the problem is the end result is always, total wank. I can sit here and do it for a long time, and the end result never looks like a Team Fortress hat probably should. Be it too little detail, entirely too much, whatever the problem, nothing I do seems to make it look right. This being only the actually brown base part of it, the rest I haven't really touched, but you can get the idea.

9maRz.jpg
  • justinms66
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean, I've read through that, know about brush strokes and all that, the problem is the end result is always, total wank. I can sit here and do it for a long time, and the end result never looks like a Team Fortress hat probably should. Be it too little detail, entirely too much, whatever the problem, nothing I do seems to make it look right. This being only the actually brown base part of it, the rest I haven't really touched, but you can get the idea.

9maRz.jpg
    I think this hood-typed design might make for a more interesting hat. I'm assuming in reality it'd be made from buffalo hide with the hair still attached. You could add the pig-tails as part of the hat too.
    medicineman.jpg
  • -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Novice question here,is it a must to create different LOD for the items? Just like the diving helmet up above
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should but each LOD should be like 30% fewer tris or they say don't bother. LOD takes overhead too, no reason to swap unless you get good savings in tris.
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needs to be TALLER!

C0FC35DE7A8D041D19A94409AFC7D444ABCBB6BA
    ;-)

9maRz.jpg
  • Detweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this hood-typed design might make for a more interesting hat. I'm assuming in reality it'd be made from buffalo hide with the hair still attached. You could add the pig-tails as part of the hat too.]

How about this?

BKF7j.jpg
  • Royzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got around to actually submitting this :D, thanks to a nudge from Vlek.

Image linked. Wink wink vote vote.

sharkhelm-poster-512.jpg

Aaaand started working on this. Early days model atm, but thought I'd throw it out for opinions.

Sharkhelm-neptunes-judgement-wip-03-12.jpg

That pink banana skin will be a starfish.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this hood-typed design might make for a more interesting hat. I'm assuming in reality it'd be made from buffalo hide with the hair still attached. You could add the pig-tails as part of the hat too.
    medicineman.jpg
    @Baddcog jeje i actually asked that a few days ago. So as i understood it is necessary to at least make one LOD of your item if you want to post it in the Steam Workshop. That is because to optimize renderization depending on the distance that you are from the model.

@Detweiler
    I think that should be a good base but why don't you try to elongate even more to make something similar of that hood? i mean that would be amazing but well just saying you make your decission :poly124:.
  • Detweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-barron wrote: »
    @Detweiler
    I think that should be a good base but why don't you try to elongate even more to make something similar of that hood? i mean that would be amazing but well just saying you make your decission :poly124:.

At first I was making a conscious effort to be as minimislist as possible, but since starting I've been told every subsequent version gets better and better. I'll give it a shot, I didn't want something too elaborate and flashy, but if I can find a way to pull it off convincingly I'll more than likely go with it.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Detweiler Goodd to know that you expand your horizons keep it up the only way to improve is too make something different.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    need a bit of help, since posting the pipe, I've realised it looks very low poly, personally I think it's fine but I'm making a higher poly version just in case it appeals more to valve.

ANYWHO, I'm not great with unwrapping, would you guys be able to point out a good way to split the seams up?

pootis.jpg
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have reaserched for a short time the basics of SOURCE SDK and how the texturing and models work in TF2. You know the VMT . VTF stuff.
    I pretend to make a misc item for TF2 but i can't find something very important and that's why i ask for your help guys.

To rotate the entire object in one axis do i have to make a custom animation or can i make that transformation in the QC. file via code?
    also, is it possible to make a rotational cycle, lets say that the item rotates only when the player walks? and what do i need to make that?

I know that these questions may be somehow amateurish but please i really need your help to improve guys, thx a lot
    muestrarotacin.jpg
    so it is a simple rotation of a static model that is intended to be rigid, I suspect that this can be done just by coding but well that's why i am here, i am not sure on how to do it:poly122:
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Flat Face,

I'd probably just do it as a cylindrical map. You would basically end up with stretching inside you'd never see, and a bit of pinch inside the 'elbow'. But no seams are needed at all imo. (maybe cylindrical map the bowl, and another for the stem, then stitch together and relax.
    It's going to be small and not a lot of detail anyway...

Doesn't look low poly to me at all, in fact I'd say this might be more tris than needed for the high poly.
  • peege
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    @Flat Face,

I'd probably just do it as a cylindrical map. You would basically end up with stretching inside you'd never see, and a bit of pinch inside the 'elbow'. But no seams are needed at all imo. (maybe cylindrical map the bowl, and another for the stem, then stitch together and relax.

I second that. If you try to do both in one mapping, it won't be easy.

I also think it looks great with the amount of tris it currently has. Keep in mind the scale is so small compared to the model of the player.
  • peege
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royzy wrote: »

Sharkhelm-neptunes-judgement-wip-03-12.jpg

When you see the trident (which is sweet by the way) compared to the body, it makes the shark hat looks small. That trident is giving me inferiority complex. That's all I'm sayin'.

Is it too late to scale up the shark, and leave the teeth base the same?

Also, does the tail have a jigglebone and flip back and forth? That would be a nice touch if so...

I could also do without the pink on the trident? Is that a starfish?
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah this IS the higher poly one I remade, this is around double the poly count *ha* of the original model :D

600x337.resizedimage

Here's the way I broke up the original model and was going to do this one unless someone could point out a better way to reduce stretching, I split a few edges where the cup meets the pipe along the top to help with smoothing, so other than that cut across, I just joined the green lines up

howlast.jpg

600x337.resizedimage
    old texture map ^
  • maniac™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maniac™ polycounter lvl 8
    Just finished the last piece of my 'The Old Salt' heavy set.
    Thumbs up if you like it :)

2670823EC29FE89A661A2B00EAA94F2B404BBD08

8B2DDDF87D19616AF370A11C711E9A1897E87C09
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ammo can helmet for soldier

ac_v1-1_p1.png
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin' good, Maniac.