Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bestlame
    I'd say firstly you need to fix Anubis' eyes, that's the most glaring mistake. Way too bug-eyed and not at all egyptian-esque. I'd recommend you model the whole shape of the head and eyes on these:
    http://www.magicalomaha.com/0815pics/5393.jpg
    http://www.themysticcorner.com/images/Anubis_Statue.jpg
    similar black and gold coloring would be nice.
    The shield should be more rounded at the top edges like the hood of an actually cobra and not so squared. I'd also recommend you to improve upon design on the shield, it's difficult to tell at first that it's suppossed to be a cobra head, the eyes aren't a bad idea though, a few more details may be all you really need. I'd go with a gold/blue or maybe black color set.
    I actually quite like the khopesh (second set sickle sword for those who don't know the proper name), but the first one really doesn't strike me as being too egyptian. If you want to keep the sword I'd recommend you change the biting snake head into a scarab like these:
    http://urngarden.com/images/blog/scarab.jpg
    http://www.panpipes.com/stategypt6345l.jpg
    It'd look quite nice IMO. Some other things you could use as a melee weapon instead could be an ankh or was (like Anubis has in the second pic). Or maybe a crook and/or flail:
    http://www.tutanchamun-game.de/downloads/bilderKatalog/images/insignia.jpg
    About the hat on the second set, I'm unfamiliar with it, but maybe you could give me the proper name? I'm a bit curious.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    hy2iaq.png

xxzzep.png

The Civil Unrest
  • Dizz3h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sexy Robot I've been watching your latest work, and i thought that you have made a big mistake by making this CiviWar hat's hair not following the proper line of Scout's hair ( i hope you understand this ), and i thought it could be easy to tell where the seams are, but i see you're getting pretty professional. One thing. You need more tf2-ish ideas. Anyways, g'job, mate.
    EDIT
    I think this would go good with solly or engi personally, scout's not that big of a patriot, he's a street boyo. Intelligence seems to be equal to social status. Family of nine or eight brahs... No offense.
  • roninsmastermix
    sample preview...
    2rwvxft.jpg

Still part of my engineer pack. Replaces the wrangler.
  • Dizz3h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix Hell, looks epic. How about a little of exausts, a bit like the gunslinger?
    BTW any plans on a viewmodel? I have a feeling Valve will make this a misc item...
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dizz3h wrote: »
    @Sexy Robot
    I think this would go good with solly or engi personally, scout's not that big of a patriot, he's a street boyo. Intelligence seems to be equal to social status. Family of nine or eight brahs... No offense.
    Actually, NeoDement already made a kepi for Soldier in case you're interested.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1279219&postcount=4905
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    hkey_msk_04.jpg
    I want a fire particle effect for the eyes, would I have to add it myself?
  • roninsmastermix
    Dizz3h wrote: »
    @roninsmastermix Hell, looks epic. How about a little of exausts, a bit like the gunslinger?
    BTW any plans on a viewmodel? I have a feeling Valve will make this a misc item...
    Right now it's planned to be a 2 model item so you can see both the gun on the side of his peripheral vision and in the world view even if the wrangler is not deployed. It should work like a buff banner scheme.
  • ChrisPR7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix: That thing is looking sick!

I submitted my dinosaur items, so now it's praying and hoping time :). Here's a group shot with all the items, and the Scout weapon.

CFR_JurassicPack_Group.jpg
  • Korby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those look awesome! I'd be happier with maybe more than one weapon, but superb job anyway!
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, "jurassic pack", simple but very clever.
  • Old Painless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisPR7 wrote: »
    @roninsmastermix: That thing is looking sick!

I submitted my dinosaur items, so now it's praying and hoping time :). Here's a group shot with all the items, and the Scout weapon.

CFR_JurassicPack_Group.jpg
    They should all be destroyed.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    They should all be destroyed.

No, they should be put in a museum, where they belong!
  • Just a Gigolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clever girl, but not clever enough.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Clever girl, but not clever enough.

That needs to be the name of the Sniper's hat! The Clever Girl
  • ChrisPR7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »

Haha, it actually is. And if you look at the Scout's ankles you'll see the "Clever Creepers".
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very well made dino pack, i especially like the triceratops and whatever dinosaur the pyro's supposed to be, parasaurolophus perhaps? :)

---

the lantern flamethrower is getting there, needs a pilot light and another night's worth of work in general

lanternlighter3.jpg
  • ThePowerPlumber
    Hello everyone, I am trying to get a concept of mine modeled, I have it drawn out on paper and I am willing to do all the textures for it, i simply need a model maker to assist me with it, then to submit it with me giving us both credit. here is my idea:

HH0Lc.jpg

Its a werewolf. Im hoping it gets into the halloween update.
    Would someone please like to help me get this concept realized? And please, dont steal my idea :c
  • Old Painless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Scout hat - Must go faster!
  • bestlame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bestlame polycounter lvl 8
    @Dizz3h CidTheNinja

Thanks for the suggestion. Will remodel or redesign the 1st set "protector"

@CidTheNinja

The 2nd set hat, actually I'm not sure about it. I reference this link
    http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/18167.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That's working really well, Crazy-g. Nice one.
  • Dizz3h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, i've been trying to make weapon sets for scout, related to the styles of 60's and re-made weapons. As made by engi from weps that already existed... I'll soon post one of the (WIP) made weps images, and some concept art (made by hand not pc, because my mouse is twitchy... KABLOOWEY), and i would love if someone would want to cooperate... If the set actually gets accepted, ofc i will share the profit. Probably will try to tell Valve we co-op'ed or something. If that is possible. You probably have seen my screen of the primary gun, but i haven't progressed much.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Hello everyone, I am trying to get a concept of mine modeled, I have it drawn out on paper and I am willing to do all the textures for it, i simply need a model maker to assist me with it, then to submit it with me giving us both credit. here is my idea:
    You should probably learn to model if you're interested in making TF2 items...
  • roninsmastermix
    6147460783_3aae63fa15_b.jpg
    HLMV and in-game test of the wrangler replacement i'm making.
    Turned out to be pretty fine. I'm happy that it worked out, mostly that is.

Notes:
    *The item consists of 2 models: mobilepack (the backpack) and mobilegun (wrangler replacement+mounted gun on the backpack)
    *Both models are meant to replace just the wrangler.
    *The mobilepack is equiped as a misc in these shots while the mobilegun is equiped as a weapon.
    *Although the mobilegun's wrangler replacement is visible in first person view, the gun is not. (the model is placed on c_models. I'm not sure if it will work if i had it in v_models)
    *The gun is obviously pointing downward. The engineer really has a bad posture. Fixing it at the moment.

mtpmqa.jpg
    fixed. Time to rebake and texture.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea, but I'd say it changes the character silhouette too much, which I know Valve doesn't generally like.
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on scout (maybe pyro) melee weapon
    Any advices, feedbacks, crits?
    Rubilovo.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good Zalakzik, you can save some polys on the rope part by using flat planes instead of tubes.

I got my hat compiled, but I need some help to get the texture showing:
    hkey_msk_05.jpg

I exported the model using blender's .smd exporter.

And my .vmt file looks like this:

"LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "models/Hockey_Mask/Hockey_Mask"
    "$translucent" 1
    }
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea, but I'd say it changes the character silhouette too much, which I know Valve doesn't generally like.

I think its fine.
  • ChrisPR7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl wrote: »
    I exported the model using blender's .smd exporter.
    }

Did you assign a material to the model with the texture's name as the material's name in Blender? Like on Helljumper's tutorial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5QGx2TP_8&feature=player_detailpage#t=2242s
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you assign a material to the model with the texture's name as the material's name in Blender? Like on Helljumper's tutorial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5QGx2TP_8&feature=player_detailpage#t=2242s

Yes I did, and I double checked the smd file:

version 1
    nodes
    0 "bip_head" -1
    end
    skeleton
    time 0
    0 0.000000 -2.147238 71.791702 -1.120063 -0.000000 0.000000
    end
    triangles
    Hockey_Mask.tga
    0 0.539554 -6.896726 79.589355 -0.002167 -0.247963 0.968749 0.271733 0.881228 1 0 1.000000
    0 0.332569 -6.816593 79.609398 -0.002167 -0.247932 0.968749 0.250288 0.881228 1 0 1.000000
    0 0.627505 -7.095150 79.538765 -0.002167 -0.247902 0.968749 0.286897 0.866064 1 0 1.000000

my vmt (copied from the prancer):

"VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    "$baseTexture" "models\player\items\pyro\Hockey_Mask.vtf"
    "$bumpmap" "models\effects\flat_normal"
    "$detail" "effects/tiledfire/fireLayeredSlowTiled512.vtf"
    "$detailscale" "5"
    "$detailblendfactor" .01
    "$detailblendmode" 6
    // "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1
    "$yellow" "0"

"$phong" "1"
    "$phongexponent" "15"
    "$phongboost" "3"
    //"$lightwarptexture" "models\lightwarps\weapon_lightwarp"
    "$phongfresnelranges" "[2 1 5]"
    // "$halflambert" "1"
    "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"

"$blendtintbybasealpha" "1"
    "$blendtintcoloroverbase" "0"

"$colortint_base" "{161 54 44}"
    "$colortint_tmp" "[0 0 0]"

// Rim lighting parameters
    "$rimlight" "1"
    "$rimlightexponent" "4"
    "$rimlightboost" "2"

// Cloaking
    "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"

"Proxies"
    {
    "weapon_invis"
    {
    }
    "AnimatedTexture"
    {
    "animatedtexturevar" "$detail"
    "animatedtextureframenumvar" "$detailframe"
    "animatedtextureframerate" 30
    }
    "BurnLevel"
    {
    "resultVar" "$detailblendfactor"
    }
    "YellowLevel"
    {
    "resultVar" "$yellow"
    }
    "Equals"
    {
    "srcVar1" "$yellow"
    "resultVar" "$color2"
    }
    "ItemTintColor"
    {
    "resultVar" "$colortint_tmp"
    }
    "SelectFirstIfNonZero"
    {
    "srcVar1" "$colortint_tmp"
    "srcVar2" "$colortint_base"
    "resultVar" "$color2"
    }

}
    }
  • roninsmastermix

I'm confident that the silhouette won't be much of an issue unless they already have another idea for another class to be "top heavy" from the torso up with equipment. The only reasonable confusion it would create to another class is probably the soldier but even that is not really that difficult to distinguish given that the engie has a vastly different posture.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that the gun only appears the new wrangler is deployed. Think of it like how the buffbanner's flag works.
  • Problem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm confident that the silhouette won't be much of an issue unless they already have another idea for another class to be "top heavy" from the torso up with equipment. The only reasonable confusion it would create to another class is probably the soldier but even that is not really that difficult to distinguish given that the engie has a vastly different posture.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that the gun only appears the new wrangler is deployed. Think of it like how the buffbanner's flag works.

I agree with Ronin. Although it changes his silhouette a bit, it's still easily identifiable as the Engineer. It's mechanical, the Engineer hunched over with hands in a wrangler position, the Engineer is still rather short, and he still has the Engineer's loping gait when he walks.

On the other hand, a sub class like the Demoknight is quite different from the regular Demoman, both in how he holds his weapon (already changing the silhouette), and also how he moves throughout the map. In this case, the animations are completely different from the usual, and thus it IS a case of making the class different to ID at a distance, but in this case to the player's benefit (he's a demoknight, and thus is completely different from the demoman).

So yeah, it's not a big deal.
  • roninsmastermix
    9tzexc.jpg
    took me a while to make but i wanted to make sure. I think this is a good indication that the engineer's shape is still recognizable.
  • ChrisPR7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's still easily recognizable.

How do you get shots from the HLMV with transparency (i.e., no background)?
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mostly meant from the side. The gun and ammo reel just change the shape too much in my opinion, not from the front, but from the side.
    That said, otherwise, it's great. :)
  • roninsmastermix
    It's still easily recognizable.

How do you get shots from the HLMV with transparency (i.e., no background)?

I took a screen shot of each of the classes in that same "gray" shade that i always use. Then i use the magic wand in PS to quickly select those gray areas and delete them. Arranged and merged all of the models and filled them with a darker shade of gray.

Also for the side view, it's still recognizable based on some of these images below...
    6149267774_41806db420_b.jpg
    Last test before going to sleep. Some shots with the building being moved off (reason why the gun is at the right shoulder) and with the intel. (The inevitable clipping with the intel/backpack relationship) Going to touch-up some more details on the joy stick to make it more distinguishable from the wrangler and making a darker gun color. A video will be available in a few minutes or tomorrow.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You make sniper sad. / What about the hitbox?
  • ThePowerPlumber
    darkkyo wrote: »
    You should probably learn to model if you're interested in making TF2 items...
    sadly my current computer cant run modeling programs very well
  • ChrisPR7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix: Thanks. I do the same thing, but I was wondering if there was an easier workaround.

Man, I can't wait to see that gun finished and working!
  • roninsmastermix
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work ronin. that's well executed and quite fitting, looks like fun too

---

finished this lantern flamethrower for the halloween update:
    lanternlighter.jpglanternlighterblue.jpglanternlighterblue2.jpg
    lanternlightergame.jpg
    lanternlighter1stp.jpg
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ronin - I think your engy stuff is beautifully made but is going in the wrong direction if you want it to get implemented. The engy is all about his buildings, in game play terms having external entities in the game world is what makes the engy distinct form the other classes. As a result every unlock the engy has, is designed to compliment his buildings.
    You keep making items which enhance the engy himself. I know we're not here to make stats, but consider where valve could go with this? TF2 already has a 'mobile turret' character in the Heavy, so mounting bigger weapons on the engy himself is in my opinion a dead end.
  • Dizz3h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm probably off topic here, but how do you get a polycount pin?
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By entering and submitting a non-disqualified entry for the original polycount competition a year and x months ago.

It is a limited edition reward pin for the people who took part in the polycount competition, and unless a member wants to trade it, there are no other means of aquiring the pin.
  • Dizz3h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for helpful information
  • roninsmastermix
    Ruskeydoo wrote: »
    @Ronin - I think your engy stuff is beautifully made but is going in the wrong direction if you want it to get implemented. The engy is all about his buildings, in game play terms having external entities in the game world is what makes the engy distinct form the other classes. As a result every unlock the engy has, is designed to compliment his buildings.
    You keep making items which enhance the engy himself. I know we're not here to make stats, but consider where valve could go with this? TF2 already has a 'mobile turret' character in the Heavy, so mounting bigger weapons on the engy himself is in my opinion a dead end.

Your point is one of the most valid logic i've ever received. I appreciate that greatly. Sadly, it's really hard, if not even enigmatic, to see which direction Valve wants to take engineer. They have outright said that one of the hardest things to implement in the game is an engineer building. As much as i want to make a unique engineer building in consideration of Valve's preferences, i do think i'm not ready yet to make a dedicated, stand alone building. Be sure to expect me to dive into that field in the future though since i have practically tried every other option for the engineer.

This new set though is meant to complement the engineer more, true. But the main hook of this is the modularity of the mount on the back. The backpack is suppose to use not only that turret but can host different weaponry or gadgets as well. I'll try to make the models soon after.
  • ChrisPR7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @crazy-g: YES! Perfect for the Halloween update. Great work on the textures.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    crazy-g wrote: »
    finished this lantern flamethrower for the halloween update:
    lanternlighter.jpg

This is definitely one of the best custom flamethrower I've seen in this thread. It fits the TF2 style, it fits the Halloween theme without being jarring for non-Halloween use, it fits the Pyro's makeshift construction style, and it looks generally like a solid and well textured model.

Kudos all around to you.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it working!

hkey_msk_06.jpg
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your point is one of the most valid logic i've ever received. I appreciate that greatly. Sadly, it's really hard, if not even enigmatic, to see which direction Valve wants to take engineer. They have outright said that one of the hardest things to implement in the game is an engineer building. As much as i want to make a unique engineer building in consideration of Valve's preferences, i do think i'm not ready yet to make a dedicated, stand alone building. Be sure to expect me to dive into that field in the future though since i have practically tried every other option for the engineer.

This new set though is meant to complement the engineer more, true. But the main hook of this is the modularity of the mount on the back. The backpack is suppose to use not only that turret but can host different weaponry or gadgets as well. I'll try to make the models soon after.

F*ck it. you guys need to stop worrying about balance issues so much. Just keep making the shoulder-mounted gun bigger and bigger upon each upgrade.