Replies

• Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    ant wrote: »
    well these are done...phew!
    sportsmanhats.png
    I'd suggest modifying the phong mask? on the sniper hat and maybe some of the other hats to make them a little less plasticy

EDIT: TWICE NOW NEW PAGES... FFFFFFUUUUUUU-
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Flat Face wrote: »
    I'd suggest modifying the phong mask? on the sniper hat and maybe some of the other hats to make them a little less plasticy

EDIT: TWICE NOW NEW PAGES... FFFFFFUUUUUUU-

I doubt he even has a phong mask. Looks like he just applied Xoliul's shader over both the heads and hats. What he should do is compile them and take shots of them from Model Viewer.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    @Cid, lol, I never really paid much attention to that game other than knowing it's got some 'similarities' to TF2. I didn't know they had a pyro clown. Oh well.
    Who knows? Maybe there's just an odd little piece of collective subconscious of humanity that feels compelled to give insane clowns flamethrowers?

@FlatFace
    Funny you should mention that, I did notice that before that the old "firebat" had a flamethrower that was nearly identical to Pyro's stock flamethrower and definitely had a guitar on his back like so many people have made for Pyro. You'll notice in "meet the firebat" that silhouette is conveniently covered up by the new Firebat.
    About that hats thing, I'm afraid you're mistaken. If you go on the page of Youtube user: nanosheep, you can find a lot of videos hacked from the website, they've apparently blocked all North American and European IP addresses (because they know we're on to them I guess). In his latest video which displays promotional images of reskins for the classes, the Pirate being one of them that can apparently be a "Rocket" or a "Firebat" or maybe they haven't decided yet because there's also a suit wearing, robot-headed Firebat too.
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Now I'm working on new pyro weapon. It will be rocket engine flamethrower.
    I will add more pipes, cables and so on.

HpGZK.jpg
    BFWNx.jpg

This inspired me.
    J-2%20Rocket%20engine.JPG
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, so with appropriate details I think the color scheme works pretty well. I jacked the scout's bat .vmt for some appropriate phong levels/wraps, which turned out great. I'll probably fiddle with the texture of the paintcan and tape since that still seems a bit bland. I may also touch up some parts of the model, such as the tape.

paintgunfinalHLMV.jpg

So that just leaves the name...
    Maybe the Coverall? The Coat of Arms? The Touchup? I got nothing.

P.S. Has anyone had trouble uploading models to Valve on the Contribute page? When I submitted my hat and melee weapon everything worked fine and I was directed to the confirmation page. When I uploaded my flamethrower, however, I was never directed to the confirmation page. Valve support was no help. I resubmitted a couple times to no avail. I don't want to flood the Contribute page with duplicate submissions, but clearly want to make sure my models are getting to Valve.
  • Paullo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtR007 wrote: »
    OK, so with appropriate details I think the color scheme works pretty well. I jacked the scout's bat .vmt for some appropriate phong levels/wraps, which turned out great. I'll probably fiddle with the texture of the paintcan and tape since that still seems a bit bland. I may also touch up some parts of the model, such as the tape.

paintgunfinalHLMV.jpg

Looks excellent! I agree that the paintcan could perhaps use spicing up though.

As for names, how about:

• The Searing Spatter
    • The Final Coat
    • The Matte Finisher

The Touchup and the Coverall are both great too.
  • Lime_Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SgtR007 Psychopath's Spray Gun, Projectile Painter, Splotchy Sprayer, or something like that. I personally like The Touchup.
  • Xenu's Paradox

paintgunfinalHLMV.jpg

P.S. Has anyone had trouble uploading models to Valve on the Contribute page? When I submitted my hat and melee weapon everything worked fine and I was directed to the confirmation page. When I uploaded my flamethrower, however, I was never directed to the confirmation page. Valve support was no help. I resubmitted a couple times to no avail. I don't want to flood the Contribute page with duplicate submissions, but clearly want to make sure my models are getting to Valve.

First:

HOLY CRAP THAT LOOKS AMAZING.

Second: Have you considered a transparent hopper on the top there? I dunno if you're filling it with paintballs or just paint, but either way, it'd look pretty cool to see inside. Either paint with a Jarate-esque effect or fill it up with paintballs and have a few roll around on the top.

Names (mostly just tossing around painting terminology):

The Base Coat
    The Primer
    The Touch-Up
    The Accelerator
    The Burn Through
    The Crosscoater
    The Force Dry
    The High Bake
    The Let Down (inb4thisisabetternameforthedetonator)
    The Overspray
    The Pressure Pot/Pressure Cooker
    The Reducer
    The Thermosetter
  • Xenu's Paradox
    Nzdjh wrote: »
    Dia de los Muertos hat and misc for Pyro. The mask is probably going to clip like crazy.

skullmask.jpg

I'm Dr. Henry Killinger.

120px-Pyro's_Purse.png

And zis is my magic murder bag.
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera wrote: »
    Remove the pyro symbol from the front. The textures are pretty good by themshelves and it doesn't look right.

actually the pyro symbol is a seperate layer not part of the texture, it you can add or subtract it in the .psd .tga files anyone else feel the pyro symbol is unecessary?
  • Bense
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bense wrote: »
    I am a lurker here, and I apologize if I am overstepping, but I have a few ideas that I think people would find interesting (although they may have been brought up before).

I have been playing a lot of TF2 recently after a long hiatus away from the game. No matter what, I notice that offense usually prevails over defense in most cases. I think we need to create more defensive weapons that people would enjoy playing with.

police-riot-shield-3d-model.jpg
    Riot shield for the Heavy... yeah the heavy... replace the minigun with it, and be able to put up defense in front of sentries etc.. or just have people huddle behind you. It could deflect most objects like flares, arrows, etc etc.... bullets do nothing, and explosives take away some damage. The downside is obviously only having a shield, shotgun etc etc.. (could come up with some other riot gear for the heavy to go along with this.

As for the pyro...
    Tanaka-TBL-7800-Leaf-Blower.jpg
    Instead of having a blastback/fire... how about a "leaf blower" (goes with the rake??)... it cant blast away rockets/etc, but it can keep away ubers at a constant rate instead of in blasts... so it would count down just like a flamethrower would and maybe it has blastback as well?

Engineer... Has anyone ever brought up a spy radar? I think it could replace the dispensor and basically just set off an alarm when a spy was within 30 ft or so... this would be a huge downfall for the engineer, but if two are working together... it could be really useful and pyros wouldnt have to hold the fire button down all map...

Please let me know your thoughts.. I think these are legitimate awesome weapons and I cant really model anything... Would appreciate any feedback!

I hate to do this, but I am bumping because I had to get approval for this post and I think it placed it in the original time stamp. I don't intend to be annoying... I'd just like to hear some thoughts. Thanks!
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Hey,

I have a just a few quick questions, and I apologize if this was asked somewhere in the 9500 posts.

I'm about to do my first hat/misc item and I'm just curious about what I need to do for characters who already have hats?, do i need to specify a bodygroup in the .qc or something?
    Also lastly, how would I go about doing modeling misc items that actually would have to remove elements of the character mesh?

Thanks,
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Rowinish wrote: »
    Hey,

I have a just a few quick questions, and I apologize if this was asked somewhere in the 9500 posts.

I'm about to do my first hat/misc item and I'm just curious about what I need to do for characters who already have hats?, do i need to specify a bodygroup in the .qc or something?
    Also lastly, how would I go about doing modeling misc items that actually would have to remove elements of the character mesh?

Thanks,

You don't have to do anything special for the hats. If that character already has a stock hat, when a new hat is equipped the bodygroup on the character model will automatically remove that hate.

For doing misc items it depends on what type it is. For boots there are bodygroups that remove the feet I believe. For items like the Spy's turtleneck though it just neatly covers up the existing mesh underneath and is rigged to deform the same way.
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paintgunfinalfinal.jpg

Thanks for all the help and crits, everyone! I touched up the texture, refined the tape edges, and added dents to the paintcan. For the name, I really loved "the Matte Finisher", but I thought "the Touchup" was more TF2-ish. Will submit and call the Painter Pack done for reals this time.

@Xenu: The model will shoot out "globs" of paint instead of flares. You can't really see what the airborne flares look like, so I didn't bother replacing them. If Valve accepts the weapon I'll throw together a quick model for that. I was trying to avoid using paintball-like parts because it didn't seem like it would fit with the painter's theme as well as the paint sprayer. Plus, I have no idea how to animate c_models, and the physics involved in making liquid jigglebones eludes me.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    EDIT: @Sgtr007 Love it!, just wondering what's the best way to make a tape wrap that you have, I've been unhappy with my tests starting with a flattened cube and extruding it a bunch.
    Thanks,

@Zipfinator

Ok thanks.

Also what of 2d sprites like hair?, I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly.

I want to add hair like I saw on a solider hat that was a English palace guard, I think that for 2d I just use alot of planes and just make the edges translucent. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I literally just taught my self blender 2weeks ago and I've been working with mostly weapons.

Thanks,

P.S.
    just a an update on my engi wrench, now I just need to finalize the phong map.
    6044125591_a3d43a9dbd_b.jpg
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just mocked this up as an idea for you mate

paintgunfinalHLMV.jpg

And I made this out of the boredom the other day, it won't become anything but I was happy with it :P

TF2heart.jpg
  • Xenu's Paradox
    paintgunfinalfinal.jpg

Thanks for all the help and crits, everyone! I touched up the texture, refined the tape edges, and added dents to the paintcan. For the name, I really loved "the Matte Finisher", but I thought "the Touchup" was more TF2-ish. Will submit and call the Painter Pack done for reals this time.

@Xenu: The model will shoot out "globs" of paint instead of flares. You can't really see what the airborne flares look like, so I didn't bother replacing them. If Valve accepts the weapon I'll throw together a quick model for that. I was trying to avoid using paintball-like parts because it didn't seem like it would fit with the painter's theme as well as the paint sprayer. Plus, I have no idea how to animate c_models, and the physics involved in making liquid jigglebones eludes me.

Looks amazing. Too bad this game doesn't support the Blobulator. Would be cool to have globs of team-colored paint flying around like Mobility Gel in an Excursion Funnel...
  • ev149
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtR007 - Looks great! My one critique is the "stains" on the can and gun. The can has blue and the gun has red, for both teams. Shouldn't BLU have all blue and RED have all red?

EDIT: These, specifically:
    4D6Ms.jpg
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    it won't become anything but I was happy with it :P

That'd make a good unusual effect
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if I contributed to unsuals in any way other than removing them from the game then I would be a terrible person.
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Flat Face: It actually would not be that difficult to implement a gauge such as that. The only tricky part is that I would have to create a whole new .vtf for a rimlight mask just so the paint on the inside didn't light up. Not sure it's worth it. :x
  • MrCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This took me a little longer than I'd like to admit for what it is, goes to show how bad an artist I am haha. But anyway, here's a little concept I threw together for a 'nade launcher. It has two cylindrical barrels that rotate in opposite directions away from the large barrel in the middle. :)

Any advice on shapes / colour would be great.

Launcher.png
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    Flat Face, Zipfinator
    ah no, that shader is just your standard maya phong E applied.

no masks or realtime doohickeys . It wasn't really a visualization or presentation shot. just in progress. I know how they will be in game. quite different.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cake, I'd suggest darker metals n wood, I don't like that team coloured band. I'm not REALLY a fan of the trumpet shaped barrel either to be honest but that's just me.

@ ant, well I guess we'll see when you've got them in game :P I usually add spec maps n bump maps in 3ds max to see the final thing but to each his own
  • Dizz3h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, i'm new to this thread, and also new to modelling, but i just had a great idea hitting me, and there it was, but i'm not sure if I had done it how I should have - i'm using Blender, I'm new, and i suck at Photoshop. Any crits, or advice. WIP, ofc. Oh, and i immediately need some animating tuts or tips. BcHMN.jpg
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    @ SgtR007: It looks amazing. Like it would throw fireballs of something haha
    Anyway, if you want to spice up the paint can (or whatever that is), why don't you just add a sticker?
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rada wrote: »
    actually the pyro symbol is a seperate layer not part of the texture, it you can add or subtract it in the .psd .tga files anyone else feel the pyro symbol is unecessary?

I really like the "all brown" version. Have you tried a slightly smaller symbol in the beige/lighter brown colour used on the edge of the mask? So that it looks kind of engraved into the leather a bit? I think you could get away with dropping it but I guess it comes down to why the Pyro is wearing it. Did the other classes steal it from a dog and force him to wear it for their own safety (no symbol) or is it regulation clothing handed to him by TF Industries (symbol)?

@SgtR007- The Touchup is good but there is a lot of silver. Have you tried making the body of the top canister the same red/blue as the one underneath? I dunno it's just a bit Righteous Bison-y at the moment. The rest of the Painter's Pack is great by the way.
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    catalin01 polycounter lvl 10
    I want to make an ornament that go's on the shield of the sentry from spline's, but i don't know how to put it on the curvature off the shape.

sentryu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Hello.
    What do you think?
    Don't look at triangle count now. I'll add more details and optimize it little bit more.

Maybe some suggestions on texture?
    Dark? Light? Silver? Brown?

UW46E.jpg
    mK2lU.jpg
    H0xCQ.jpg
  • Dizz3h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw, i need only Blender help on animating, or at least help with those floating rounds :D
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
  • Dizz3h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, what? My first post is gone... anyways. I need help. And this is my FIRST wep.BcHMN.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    catalin01 wrote: »
    I want to make an ornament that go's on the shield of the sentry from spline's, but i don't know how to put it on the curvature off the shape.

You can just model it flat, then use a bend modifier to bend it in the z axis to fit the shape of the shield. (probably easier to align if you reposition the shield straight up and down until matched).
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
  • Veko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy shit hooch thats a big-ass exhaust, there should be knockback when you fire that thing :D
  • Xenu's Paradox
    Hooch wrote: »
    oA4sy.jpg
    JbEXL.jpg
    QbWE8.jpg
    JjLl6.jpg
    vChzd.jpg

Needs custom sounds. A low, throaty rumble for the primary fire and a thunderous KABLAM for the airblast.

Like this (primary).

And the first second of this (secondary).

For textures, the black and white stripe/checkerboard look from the Mercury program might look good on the tanks (maybe use team colors instead of black?)

Mercury-Redstone_USSRC_2007_RK_1.jpg
    2416411731_19d4842071_o.jpg

2_Mercury_Rocket.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    vpvreq.jpg
    Texture is almost done.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Sweet texture work ronin!

I just submitted something to TF2's contribute page for the first time. It looked like it uploaded everything but I never got any confirmation page. Is this a common problem and does anyone know if my stuff probably went through?
  • OpethRockr55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo wrote: »
    Sweet texture work ronin!

I just submitted something to TF2's contribute page for the first time. It looked like it uploaded everything but I never got any confirmation page. Is this a common problem and does anyone know if my stuff probably went through?

It'll ask you confirm your Steam community URL before it actually submits. It's the exact same page that you first hit (if I remember right), so it's confusing. Just enter your URL again and it should send if off. If there are any problems, it'll kick you back to the page where you give it the name, files and such.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It'll ask you confirm your Steam community URL before it actually submits. It's the exact same page that you first hit (if I remember right), so it's confusing. Just enter your URL again and it should send if off. If there are any problems, it'll kick you back to the page where you give it the name, files and such.

Interesting... yeah it brought me back to the page where I enter my community URL and when I hit submit there it brought me back to where I input the files again. This was my result both times I tried to submit. I wonder if this means I can't do it from my PC for some reason.

Thanks, do you think I should just keep trying until I get a confirmation page after the URL step? I don't want to bombard them with the same few files over and over.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    There's a filesize limit. If you exceed it, it won't confirm it. You'll see a "You've completed" message if it worked.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    There's a filesize limit. If you exceed it, it won't confirm it. You'll see a "You've completed" message if it worked.

Interesting, thanks! I'm glad you guys know the intricacies of this contribute site because Valve sure as heck doesn't make it easy. I guess I should just start shaving away some of the optional files I included.

Very helpful guys, thanks again.
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Should I make it more metalic or more dark like original flamethrower?

Pictures are in my previous post.

I want sth like that in stats for that flamethrower:
    More dameage.
    Slowdown while shooting
    Longer range.
    Slowdown while shooting.
    Idea for secondary fire:
    100% Critic shoot. Uses 50 or 75 ammo per second.
    No random critical shots.
  • Xenu's Paradox
    Hooch wrote: »
    Should I make it more metalic or more dark like original flamethrower?

Pictures are in my previous post.

I want sth like that in stats for that flamethrower:

Dark.
  • MrCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cake, I'd suggest darker metals n wood, I don't like that team coloured band. I'm not REALLY a fan of the trumpet shaped barrel either to be honest but that's just me.

Thanks! I'll try and draw it without those when I get a chance, for now here's my idea for the second weapon (grenade launcher). Is it possible to release a sticky launcher that uses the grenade launchers hand models? S:

Also, does anyone have silhouettes of all the weapons that they can send me to compare to? I'm just going off instinct at the moment so there will be major clipping issues unless I figure out what I'm doing...

Launcher3-1.png
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Little update:

ZpgSZ.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good hooch, only thing id say is add a trigger
  • APant1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As many of you know, today's patch completely broke the entire game for a little bit. In honor of that, I made a quick joke item, The Crash Test! There's another sticker on the other side of his head, but I think one pic is enough. Available Soon*

Crashtestrender1.jpg

*Never
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pipesq.jpgstarted texturing the exhaust for the chrome less style