Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    @ColonelBD I would shorten the end of the cannon, that cone is just too big.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @BuRN,

just select the main mesh, attach the other mesh. Then use a bone to animate the handle.
  • Sickmedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Burn

1. Regarding UV space:
    As far as I know you can use as many separate UV sets as you wish. Once you export your file as an SMD it flattens everything out into a single UV space.

Baddog’s method would also work here.

2. Regarding Animation:
    Misterdevious wrote up a nice tutorial for this some time back.
    See http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1254226#post1254226

Hope that helps!
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    So I keep getting the dreaded "ERROR: cannot find bone bip_head for bbox" even though the bone is clearly attached to the item when I rotate it.

When I export just the model it reads:
    version 1
    nodes
      0 "polySurface3"  -1
    end
    skeleton
    time 0
      0 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 -1.570796 0.000000 0.000000
    end
    triangles
    spymaskRed.vtf
      0 -1.183150 76.782890 -4.347383 -0.729274 0.575012 -0.370839 0.296664 0.962748 1 0 1.000000
      0 0.000000 76.914078 -4.697484 0.000000 0.714933 -0.699193 0.166559 0.971220 1 0 1.000000
      0 0.000000 75.757248 -4.791193 0.000000 0.145922 -0.989296 0.166137 0.847242 1 0 1.000000

etc etc.

When I export all the code reads:
    version 1
    nodes
      0 "bip_head"  -1
      1 "polySurface3"  -1
    end
    skeleton
    time 0
      0 0.000000 75.691071 -2.879237 -3.141592 -0.000000 0.000000
      1 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 -1.570796 0.000000 0.000000
    end
    triangles
    spymaskRed.vtf
      1 -1.183150 76.782890 -4.347383 -0.729274 0.575012 -0.370839 0.296664 0.962748 1 0 1.000000
      1 0.000000 76.914078 -4.697484 0.000000 0.714933 -0.699193 0.166559 0.971220 1 0 1.000000
      1 0.000000 75.757248 -4.791193 0.000000 0.145922 -0.989296 0.166137 0.847242 1 0 1.000000

etc. etc.

edit: nevermind. The problem was a simple issue of changing a file path in my QC. Leaving this here though for future people who might be having the same problem.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably just drop the hbox lines, they're mainly for ai collision, so aren't necessary for hats of weapons
  • Macgta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, Done some more work on the weightmaps pretty much done with that and lightened the green on the Red skin, Only problem that i can see now is the little pouch; It has severe clipping issues that are pretty impossible to fix without making it bend/stretch unusually, So i decided to bake it as a normal map and just stick the pouch on as part of the texture, But to be honest i'll probably scrap the pouch altogether and find some sort of workaround:

demokilt_bagbakednormal.jpg
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to suggest yet another color scheme - instead of the green, use the brown (or a darker green closer to the brown) on the vest and inside of that orange from the grenades? I think that'll fit in nicer

I'd avoid normal mapping the pouch as it'll be very apparent from the side - is there any problem with skinning it to the same bones that the kilt is skinned to? Weigh them so that the pouch and the kilt move together

@Jackablade - I did go back and add a few extra loops in places where the corners were especially noticeable. I did toy around with moving the wings up, but it looked a little lopsided, as it's held horiztontal and huge wings at the very tip would be unwieldly... plus like snader said it looks kind of like a crossbow :) nice and menacing

@Elbagast - thanks for the heads up on the clipping... bumped that part of the snake a bit up to resolve it :) as for a mechanism for the handle rotation, I thought of it as a peg in a hole thing, not visible from the exterior, as the idea was a (aesthetically at least) low-tech medieval themed medigun

here is the caduceus in it's current state

caduceusside1.jpg

cadside2.jpg

going to touch up the texture a bit more (especially wings/cloth) and still need to do LODs etc
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Contrails
    Fun Fact:
    The Caduceus was the staff used by Hermes in greek myth. Hermes was the god of commerce and negotiation (among many other thing) and the caduceus was used as a symbol of this. It became used as a symbol of medicine because it was confused with the rod of Asclepius (being the greek god of healing and medicine) which was essentially a staff with a single snake around it.

Not trying to discourage you from your current project, just thought I'd share some knowledge of classic myth with the thread.

Hey maybe you and Ant can get some pack going?
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1138706&postcount=630
    'cause let's face it: Scout NEEDS a Hermes Helm in game.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @crazy-g looks amazing! i would be very suprised if it didnt make it into the game.
  • wealthofinsight
    Macgta wrote: »
    OK, Done some more work on the weightmaps pretty much done with that and lightened the green on the Red skin, Only problem that i can see now is the little pouch; It has severe clipping issues that are pretty impossible to fix without making it bend/stretch unusually, So i decided to bake it as a normal map and just stick the pouch on as part of the texture, But to be honest i'll probably scrap the pouch altogether and find some sort of workaround:

demokilt_bagbakednormal.jpg

Hey there--this looks amazing and I love it. Have some free and unsolicited feedback: shouldn't his legs be bare underneath the kilt? I know it would be a lot of work and I am not even sure it is possible, but kilt over his pajama pants is a bit strange and not accurate to how kilts are worn. You may have addressed this before. If so, sorry, I don't read this forum very often or very thoroughly.
  • wealthofinsight
    On another issue, here's what I'm working on with Rada...

240pxhelmetcenturionend.jpg

soldierromelegionaireao.jpg

I know it resembles the Spartan a bit, but I liked the idea anyway :P
    It's about 1500 tris right now...[/QUOTE]

I. Love. This. Amazing. My opinion (however unwanted it may be) is that soldier hats should hang down over his eyes. This is my issue with the Spartan, and it may be a way to set this apart from the spartan. Otherwise I love this hat for realzzz.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Layed down some base colours, the yellow is supposed to be like on the Scottish resistance:

Is this a decent colour scheme or should I try something else?basecolours.jpg
  • Larate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd go with a gray/yellow and silver. I don't like it at all right now. The model is great but as a Strongly MEdic playing person, I would never use it with these colors(I don't use the Amputator cus' I don't like the look, so I use the Bonesaw)
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ ColonelBD - If you're thinking of submitting consider whether your model will be easily distinguishable from the Blutsauger. Something to bear in mind for the texturing.

120px-RedBlutsauger.png
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It's looking good to me, although I think you're trying to cram too much fine detail into the mechanical parts.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Jackablade wrote: »
    It's looking good to me, although I think you're trying to cram too much fine detail into the mechanical parts.

Ha, I think those are just places that he didn't UV and they're displaying the entire texture over it.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    I like the mesh but not the colors. I think that Ruskeydoo gave you a great exemple. Anyway I can't wait to see it finished.

Anyway, here's a little preview on what I've been working on :

f89267ae273930c5cdda4cc3739fe.jpg
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice knife, is the name another touhou reference?

thisbetter.jpg

Is this better? I've made the colours more like the blut.

Also silhoutte comparison:
    silhouttes.jpg
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    From the dark pit of Facepunch I have emerged:

4c12a63fbd0194889d28b942baec264d.png
    25cc5181a727a16292cf96c39f40a655.png

I'm aware that there few smoothing errors on the handle and clipping around that area as well.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    Hey Sexy Robot, I saw this on Facepunch. I would certainly be frightened to be healed by a medic who got this \o_.

cc6386efe50744f6843c8faaf67d3tt.jpg
    8859b2f8408b0dde51d0e7bc5dd01tt.jpg

Yes ColonelBD, this is another Touhou reference. I think I'm pretty much done with it. But every feedback is always good to hear so feel free to comment (and also suggest attribute because I'll submit it soon).

Thanks
  • Kebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could really use a bit smoother transition on the blade to the tip. Also move the weapon bone back a bit. Spy is holding it too close to the blade. Stabbing someone holding it like that is more likely to get your finger cut than the guy you are trying to stab.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reworked this guy a bit. Manual lods.

uvmap/ao bake
    uvmap_ballista.jpg

lod0 - 4558 tri

ballista_lod0_04.jpg
    ballista_lod0_05.jpg

lod1 - 1976 tri

ballista_lod1_01.jpg
    ballista_lod1_01.jpg

lod2 - 696 tris. havn't fixed uvs yet.

ballista_lod2_01.jpg
    ballista_lod2_02.jpg
  • Gingerkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys/Gals, was hoping you could tell me what kind of brushes for PS I would be looking at to texture my model for Tf2, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but its the closest one to my question that I could find.

Many thanks

Kiwi

Btw, the models on this thread are AMAZING
  • SimplyChristina
    re.wind wrote: »
    reworked this guy a bit. Manual lods.

uvmap/ao bake
    uvmap_ballista.jpg

lod0 - 4558 tri

ballista_lod0_04.jpg
    ballista_lod0_05.jpg

lod1 - 1976 tri

ballista_lod1_01.jpg
    ballista_lod1_01.jpg

lod2 - 696 tris. havn't fixed uvs yet.

ballista_lod2_01.jpg
    ballista_lod2_02.jpg

Amazing model , however I don't think it will fit the TF2 world ... It's too futuristic , to detailed ...
    How many polys is that ?
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    It's labeled right above the LOD pictures. The highest is 4558.

Can't wait to see some texture on that sucker re.wind. I think it'll look ace. What's it going to be firing?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    surely you can do a better job on the lowest lod there. It doesn't look bad everywhere, but the front is horrible. Even at a distance I think it's gonna show badly, the shading is going to be horrible, it doesn't even retain a somewhat round profile.

get rid of the hole in front. cap it with at least a 6 sided cylinder. delete all the little details. Bolts, straps over the top, the entire sight could go, the metal straps above and below handle, bevels on the handle (since it'll most likely be inside a hand, strings, finger gaurd.

You could shave all those polys, have a decent front end on it, and probably still come out lower poly and it will look better in game.

And I think all the rivets could go from the high poly one. There's really nothing in game like that. The big bolt heads up front do match in game stuff though.
    The model does look pretty cool though. I think once it's textured it has the possibility to be a lot more 'TF2'/ there are plenty of 'high tec/spytech items'.

I'm just curious what it shoots, who it's for. Looks like a crossbow cannon. Soly?
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its sort of a steampunkish ballista for the soldier, which probably will shoot rockets. Spytech'd ballista actually has a nice ring to it...:)

dunno, the original idea was to shoot bolts with skewered grenades [stick onto people and explode after <1 second].

BTW, these are models i made for my viking theme pack for the polycount competition way back whenever that was,

Reworked and improved axe, original name leif's chopper without the electric parts. inspired by bearded viking axes and the mythological godly weapon Mjolnir: Which is more commonly known as a hammer, but also referred to as an axe, but calling this weapon Mjolnir would confuse a fair amount of mortals). The weapon charges up charge over time, [symbolic trio of capacitors+batteries] and shocks the enemy target it hits when fully charged. still works when charging. discouraged use when near, close to, or otherwise in the vicinity of water, liquids, or anything conductive.

single lod, 2032 triangles.

Axe_shock_01.jpg
    Axe_shock_02.jpg
    ao/uvs
    axeCompleteMap.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, the axe looks pretty cool. Blood is conductive ;)
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    2a122989e1a1159a2761ace623198.png
    http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/107940

Here I'm done.

@Re.wind The axe looks good, I would use it if it work like the Axtinguisher .3
  • CasketStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Glad I found this thread when I did. Another polycount subber that's reworking over the items they did here. I can post some of the concept sketches I've got, but nothing solid yet. I'm redoing a Medic Pack with a thrown jar of leeches. Yanno, just for the hell of it. That, and the speculum idea seemed a little TOO much....

I really like the axe, it looks nice!
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @crazy-g - you were right, the geometry needed tweaking to avoid clipping on the back, it's fixed now, thanks :)

@wealthofinsight - thanks for the comments!. and actually, now that I modified the geometry to avoid clipping, the hat hangs a bit over his eyes.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    You knew it was coming soon...
    spycra.png
  • comomomo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    comomomo polycounter lvl 8
    @BenHenry Crab is hilarious, if that doesnt get in game by valve please make it a reskin for the paracite :3
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @BenHenry, that's nice. I was planning to do a Spycrab mask or something for a while where it was sort of like he formed a mask out of a crabs carapace, but I could never figure out in my head exactly how to go about it and dropped the idea.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks nice but the texture on the crab seems noisy and rather haphazardly applied which when compared to the hats that aren't generally that noisy makes it look like an airhorn in an orchestra.

I'd suggest a less noisy texture as that would blend better with TF2s characters

here's a guide by swizzle, it unfortuneately doesn't detail how to texture giant crab monsters
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73559
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Neat.

I'd suggest going super simple with not much more than flat colours might be the way to go for the crab guy. Might be good to put his eyes on stalks to give him a bit more silhouette too.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BenHenry - I hope that one gets in the game :)
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I submitted this to Valve last year and didn't get in. But someone asked me to upload it to gamebanana so here it is, the Demoman Cornrows.
    (Replaces the Fro, paintable and with jigglebones)

cp5gorge00022.jpg

cp5gorge0004.jpg

http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/107959

I know it's not very Scottish but the Fro isn't either :poly124:

This was my third hat I made I think, so a lot of things could be improved...
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JZeeba: Thats awesome!
    So mainly what I'm hearing is more of a flat color for the crab, and darker?
    I totally agree with you there, he kinda looks like bacon now that I look at him :P
    The only problem with this hat right now is that it has about 1,200 polys, and I've optimized all I can.

And thats why I dont want to put his eyes on stalks. Aslo I thik that since he is part of a spy, that its kinda cool to show that he's trying to be one.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ benhenry - Have you had a good look at how Valve did the HOUWAR? Some well nifty normal map work.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah a normal map should fix it up, texturewise I would remove some of the brush strokes, in my eyes the HOUWAR is just solid colours with AO. I not that sure though :/.

Taking a break from the syringe gun with a few concept sketches, drew this up today:
    conceptart.jpg
    Its an smg replacement based off a z70 machine pistol.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you make normals like the HOUWAR?
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a simple all-class helmet I made quickly for the Medieval Update. It's pretty much ready to be submitted, all I need is a good name. Seeing as I'm out of ideas, I'd like to ask you for some suggestions. It stands at about 1300 tris.

Medieval_pile_mashup.jpg
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why does the Engineer have a homewrecker?
    Why does Solly have a Skullcutter?
    How about:
    "The Fine Cranial Protector"
    "One size fits none"

Aside: The Helmets wooden area kind of looks like chocolate IMO
    It's like an iron reinforced Kinder surprise egg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »
    @JZeeba: Thats awesome!
    So mainly what I'm hearing is more of a flat color for the crab, and darker?
    I totally agree with you there, he kinda looks like bacon now that I look at him :P
    The only problem with this hat right now is that it has about 1,200 polys, and I've optimized all I can.

And thats why I dont want to put his eyes on stalks. Aslo I thik that since he is part of a spy, that its kinda cool to show that he's trying to be one.

I wouldn't make the tex darker, just not so noisy, let the ao take care of any noise.

The cig thing is awesome, but his eyes HAVE to be on stalks, he's a crab after all. Plus you could jiggley them so they just barely sway around, kind of like the fish bat.

Besides, 1200 isn't that high for a hat, and eye stalks would only take wyat, another 20.
    The octopus hat is 5000 tris.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    Mad Mike wrote: »
    Here's a simple all-class helmet I made quickly for the Medieval Update. It's pretty much ready to be submitted, all I need is a good name. Seeing as I'm out of ideas, I'd like to ask you for some suggestions. It stands at about 1300 tris.

Medieval_pile_mashup.jpg
    "Medieval Pile Cap"
    "Mad Mike's Mind Cap"
    "Mad Man's Mind Cap"
    "Medieval Mind Cap"
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »
    How do you make normals like the HOUWAR?

You make a super high poly version of your model with loads of detail then use that to make a normal map. I do it in z-brush.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hANTXvM4V0M[/ame]

this has the basics for maya
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Yeah a normal map should fix it up, texturewise I would remove some of the brush strokes, in my eyes the HOUWAR is just solid colours with AO. I not that sure though :/.

Taking a break from the syringe gun with a few concept sketches, drew this up today:
    conceptart.jpg
    Its an smg replacement based off a z70 machine pistol.

Really cool! Couple suggestions, mostly proportion related.

- Make the trigger and trigger guard about three times bigger to read better
    in the silhouette. A lot of TF2 guns have large, round triggers to read well in the silhouette. The SMG, rifle, and Stickylauncher to name a few.

- Think about warping the proportions on other things too, like shortening the barrel and changing the size of the bit underneath the barrel. (the hand hold or whatever it is) Basically caricature the gun, take the elements that make it what it is, and exaggerate them.

Also, you might want to take a different kind of gun from that era and use elements of it in this one, to make it less of a z70 and more of a 'patched together' gun. The weapons in TF2 are supposedly built by their owners, so I guess thats a good idea of something to think about.:thumbup:
  • Macgta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if this has been done before as with the kilt lol, Figured it'd be a no brainer for the Sniper :)

Still working on the texture, crits appreciated :)

corkhat_quickrender.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    it's been done a million times by now