Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!

Replies

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor polycounter lvl 7
    Started writing a Sprite Sheet generator for Photoshop:
    - Specify the sheet size
    - Add in guides
    - Can separate into layers / flatten layers
    - Can reverse the frame order

Still working on a preview window and ability to delete x frame or repeat x frame.

Neat to see someone else doing that too. I made one that does it pretty fast (minus guides at the moment, but that's a pretty neat idea)
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 10
    McGreed said:
    radiancef0rge said:
    Sublime or Atom
    I was looking into Sublime, but wasn't sure if it had syntax for maxscript, so far it looks like I have to do a bit of fiddling to get it, as I did with Notepad++.
    @McGreed Bit late to the party but you just need the API file and I think there was a syntax too. Ill post it up if you want

Never mind missed your follow up post. 
  • JonL
    Hello,
    I would like to present you my tool that allow to use Substance Batchtools easier.
    It is actually in beta test at the company I work for.

The tool have four main tabs.
    The first one allow to create Sbs files based on Substance Painter maps.
    The second one to compile Sbs files to Sbsar.
    The Decimator is a test who actually use the Simplygon API (C++), I previously used Meshlab server, but Simplygon is more powerful.
    and the settings allows to configure Substance dependencies, alias and some important paths.

• fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 6
    Unity shader based on Inigo Quilez nice method which breaks tiling repetition. Textures from Game Textures.

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura veteran polycounter
    ^ I should give this a try in Unreal...
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge Polycount Sponsor
    Nice can you post the reference?
  • fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 6
    Of course, everything is well explained here : http://www.iquilezles.org/www/articles/texturerepetition/texturerepetition.htm
    But this is a heavy effect and this could be optimized.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Online / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Played around with the not-so-new-anymore trace to UV functionality in Unreal.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura veteran polycounter
    So about the tiling function, it turned out that this is kinda expensive. Also you would probably want method 2. And then I got stuck because I wasnt able to figure out whats that hash4... is that like appending 2 vector 2s into a vector 4? 

Still, I'm not really sure if this is suitable for games yet.

Problems continues if you want to do this with the normals. it gets more and more expensive.
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 8
    i wonder if its possible to do the blending on the uv and then read the texture only once with the blended UV
    I managed to do a basic version of this in a triplanar shader however it doesn't hold up as soon as you try to blend between 2 directions. since blending uvs just stretches and tiles the texture weirdly
  • Overmind5000
    Offline / Send Message
    Overmind5000 polycounter lvl 7
    After a couple days of research, experimentation, and navigating a spaghetti network, I got this post-effect result for Cel-shading. (Mind the missing UE4 logo. I was bored and slapped the Pepsi logo to it, and I didn't want to fix the material.

I might throw in a CustomDepth mask filter for if one wants the effect isolated on characters only or something.
  • 0xffff
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    fire67 said:
    Of course, everything is well explained here : http://www.iquilezles.org/www/articles/texturerepetition/texturerepetition.htm
    But this is a heavy effect and this could be optimized.
    "Of course, the drawback is the algorith samples the texture 9 times"

So in other words probably not even worth considering for use in most actual games then.
  • fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah this is an expensive method but worth to know. There is an optimized version with less samples here are some examples : https://twitter.com/blackfirestu/status/843822558684286976 (the last column is the optimized versions).

• woliver
    Offline / Send Message
    woliver polycounter lvl 5
    Fansub said:

Recreated Seneca Menard's Quick Pipe in Maya for work 

It's actually three scripts : the first one creates the pipe,second one allows in-viewport attribute editing to change the thickness,divisions and caps toggle.The third one cleans everything left behind the operation.

Hey Fansub. Your script is really nice and very usefull in maya since its very tedius to make pipes. I decided to try it myself and here is what I came up with. 

Not as fast as yours but this is the basic idea (:

• Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub polycounter
    Nice stuff Woliver ! :D doing these type of small scripts in Maya is so much fun <3

Haven't posted for a loooooong time in here, so here's some UI stuff i did a few months ago for my ADN Modeler Tools plugin.

• woliver
    Offline / Send Message
    woliver polycounter lvl 5
    Nice Fansub ! I guess you are working with pyqt, right? I got a question about the pipe tool. How you modifiy the different attributes with one dargAttrContext. I gived a try and did some test but I can modify one attribute or varius attributes at the same time. Im kinda lost about how to procede. For now I have to click on the attributes I added to the pipe mesh for the thickness and subdivisions and drag. Some help would be very appreciated :#
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub polycounter
    Nice Fansub ! I guess you are working with pyqt, right?
    Thanks ! this one was all MEL, but tried to give it a more sophisticated look by playing with icons and colors.

How you modify the different attributes with one dargAttrContext ?
    I generally have a procedure that gives me a toggle control when given an array of attributes. Here's how i do it most of the time. Bear with me if the explanation is a bit simple/obvious ^^'

Here's the how it's done part :

- First, i have two methods to create shuffle between attributes : the first method uses a global int variable, and the second one uses the name of the attributes in the array. In this example i'm gonna use the first method.

- So our array ($AttributeArray) contains three attributes, the radius, height and subdivision axis of a cylinder.

- We create a global int variable called $AttributeShuffle.

- The first thing we need to do is create a dragAttr context. We can do that with the following code :

if ( ` dragAttrContext -exists "WoliverDragCtx" `) { dragAttrContext -reset; }

else { dragAttrContext WoliverDragCtx; }

- Next, we hook up the context we just created to the first attribute from our array. The index we give to the array is the global int we previously created.

dragAttrContext -edit
      -connectTo ( $polyCylinder + "." + $AttributeArray[$AttributeShuffle] )
      FWoliverDragCtx;

- Finally, we set the current context to our dragAttrContext (WoliverDragCtx).
    setToolTo FastCTRLDrag;
    - Now, this is great but what if our global int value reached a number that is beyond the size of our array ? this is where a quick if/else kicks in ! The following code is generally put at the top of what we just did, just so it checks the value first before doing anything else.

if ((` attributeExists $AttributeArray[$AttributeShuffle$polyCylinder `) == 0) {
    $FCCTRLShuffle = 0;
    }

- For some cool visual feedback we can add an inViewMessage that pops up with the name of the attribute.

string $Outputmsg = ("Current Attribute : " + $AttributeArray[$AttributeShuffle] );

inViewMessage -amg ("<p style=\"color:#4cbedf;\"> " + $Outputmsg + " </p> ") -dk -pos topCenter -fade ;

print $Outputmsg; // This print is just to give us both an inViewMessage and a small print, too :-)

Once we're done we then increase the $AttributeShuffle int value by one. This will give use the next attribute in the array each time you run the code.

$AttributeShuffle = $AttributeShuffle + 1;

And this one is a procedure that shuffles your attributes when given an attribute array and a string for the object's name.

First, this small snippet will create an attribute array, and the second one is just the polyCylinder node.

polyCylinder = "polyCylinder2"; // This is the name of the polyCylinder node.
    string $AttributeArray[] = {"height","radius","subdivisionsAxis", "subdivisionsHeight"};

We can then run the following line of code to create the shuffle :

polyCylinder);ShuffleAttributes($AttributeArray, $

Finally, here's the procedure :

global proc ShuffleAttributes(string $AttrsArray[], string $AttrsNode) {

This ended up being a long post hahaha, hope it helps y'all  ! :)

• fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 6
    Here is the full comparison for all tiling breakers, the noise texture based is really awesome.
    Here is the chart : https://twitter.com/blackfirestu/status/847789194625908738

• Dickie
    Offline / Send Message
    Dickie polycounter lvl 5
    @fire67 that noise texture method is very tempting for terrain

Currently working on Wind Waker style blob lights to some success

Shader + Problems I'm facing in this thread:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/185838/wind-waker-style-firefly-lights/
  • fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah it's worth trying in a production configuration to see if it's suitable.
    @Dickie Nice Wind Waker style lights ! You could also used command buffers and deferred rendering to inject your lights inside the lighting buffer.
  • Dickie
    Offline / Send Message
    Dickie polycounter lvl 5
    @fire67 ooh yeah I remember the content example for deferred area lights, I might just have a go at that although would probably be quite similar in result presumably 
  • Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk polycounter lvl 4

been playing around with adding delaunay tri hull to any set of points in max, the video is a point emitter helper which when its converted to an editable mesh is converted to a convex hull based on the point set, the last changes are when the base emitter has min spacing turned on and off. The result is not always ideal some very thin tris are created so a sensible post processing routine need to be applied to the mesh to correct for those.

using a box emitter for the base works quite well for random blocks

to square of the blocks its a simple case of setting the emitter to surface

the more points the squarer the block
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub polycounter
    Never had the chance to share anything about this tool, so here's a quick test :)

The tool is Array Master, an array tool for Maya that doesn't require Mash, so works on old Maya version. It is part of AMTools 2.0, which is still in dev ^^'

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD interpolator
    Not really a tech artist, but I wanted to make a simple blueprint to place and tile columns automatically for me.

• zweek
    Offline / Send Message
    zweek polycounter lvl 11
    Fansub said:
    Never had the chance to share anything about this tool, so here's a quick test :)

The tool is Array Master, an array tool for Maya that doesn't require Mash, so works on old Maya version. It is part of AMTools 2.0, which is still in dev ^^'

looking forward to the update. why did you blur out the tool, is it NSFW?
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 8
    edited a normal weighting script to also weight based on angle
    bottom left is the original, bottom right is my version

you can see it got rid of the gradient completely
    and is more similar to the added control edges version
  • joarwho
    Offline / Send Message
    joarwho polycounter lvl 5
    I recently started working on my own auto-rigger. I'm learning as I go, but I'm still having a blast creating this.

• fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian Polycount Sponsor
    hannes d said:
    edited a normal weighting script to also weight based on angle
    bottom left is the original, bottom right is my version

you can see it got rid of the gradient completely
    and is more similar to the added control edges version
    This looks super neat! Are you going to be releasing this soon? I'd love to try it out.
  • swann
    Offline / Send Message
    swann polycounter lvl 4
    Family of V-HACD Toolkit nodes was expanded.

There is a new Export node added:

Short presentation how to use it with Unity:

I also published couple modeling tools:

And if you wonder how to compile and setup it all:

• IacopoAntonelli
    Offline / Send Message
    IacopoAntonelli polycounter lvl 3
    SimonT said:
    Just released my little talk about Stylized VFX in RIME :) Hope you'll like it!

Great stuff!!
  • DannyArt
    Offline / Send Message
    DannyArt triangle
    Hi all!

For a long time, I have been following this thread (Sneaky, Sneaky, Sneaky :P), and inspired me to make my own panel/shelf. This because the lack of space in my Maya shelf and the continuous looking for the right checkboxxes at the right time was getting on my nerves. So, I decided to make to make a panel/shelf to store all my favorite icons, buttons and checkboxxes. This is the first time I made something with scripting, so it was quite a struggle, since I am also not a programmer in any kind :).

The "Bag O' Tricks" panel/shelf is dockable and de-dockable so it can be placed on a 2nd monitor. All the icons that I mostly use on a daily base, are in there. I initially made this script in Maya 2015, but at school worked in Maya 2017. The icons in there were amazingly better looking than Maya 2015, so I Photoshopped them out of Maya 2017, and stored them into a folder, linked to this panel/shelf.

My question to you experts is, what is your opinion, what would you add or change, and more importantly, what would you add to a "tech" tab? For now, I have placed empty sliders and buttons there, but I would think it will be nice to fill that tab with stuff soon. So, suggestions?

All suggestions are more than welcome,
    Thank you all,
    Danny

PS; Amazing work all. It has been truely inspiring for me!
  • swann
    Offline / Send Message
    swann polycounter lvl 4
    PhysX Toolkit for Houdini:

It's a start of bigger project. The end goal is to have (very optimistically, two years from now) complete realtime dynamic solution inside Houdini.

On the roadmap are:
    0. NVidia PhysX
    1. NVidia Flex
    2. NVidia Flow
    3. NVidia Cataclysm
    4. NVidia HairWorks
    5. ... plus maybe other stuff too

Order is not guaranted :)

PS. Could admins rename me to swann? All small caps, double n at the end. Thanks!
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge Polycount Sponsor
    PS. Could admins rename me to swann? All small caps, double n at the end. Thanks!
    Direct message an admin or mod. 
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    kritskiy polycounter lvl 6
    one of the functions in upcoming Layer Factory: multi-move selection (it's so stupid that Photoshop still can't do this)
  • Yadoob
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 4
    @kritskiy Oh yes please !

I've looked into a way to improve the "anime" look with shader so the facial features are always right :

Also I've been experimenting with AR and Vuforia to get good light and environment integration :

• Koromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Koromo polycounter lvl 2
    Trying to achieve a decent skin rendering in Toolbag 3

• Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub polycounter
    This weekend's doodling session, made a bunch of kitbash pieces to test the Polystein Kit- inspired tool i'm working on :)

still got a lot of stuff to add to it and some ideas to test, but we'll be back on that in the next weekend :p

• McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed Polycount Sponsor
    While I was working on a project and relearned some maxscript, I made a couple of scripts for 3ds max to help with some tedious tasks, such as exporting lot of models in one go, adjusting turbosmooth on many objects ect., and have uploaded them to my website, in case someone else might have any use of them.
    http://www.http//mcgreed.dk/maxscripts.html

• .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 6

Working on a Landscape generator for webGL in unity that uses tilesets. Depending on the bitmasking value that is calculated it chooses the corret 3d-mesh. Now i need to make some 3d-tiles.
  • Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    Finally can share a preview - 3ds max fast blockout tool done as a part of the keyHydra suite, customized boolean cutters and more interactivity by manipulating the operands right in viewport:

• .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 6
    Made some progress with my landscape editor :)

Next step will be to change the bitmasking from 8 to 32 bit. So i can have intersections between the height segments.

• Yadoob
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 4
    @.Wiki Looks fun to use, nice FXs

I'm developing Animation Sketch on Blender to experiment a simplification in the whole rig-skinning-animation part (à la Mosketch) :

• rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 polycounter lvl 2
    nodeway said:
    PhysX Toolkit for Houdini:

It's a start of bigger project. The end goal is to have (very optimistically, two years from now) complete realtime dynamic solution inside Houdini.

On the roadmap are:
    0. NVidia PhysX
    1. NVidia Flex
    2. NVidia Flow
    3. NVidia Cataclysm
    4. NVidia HairWorks
    5. ... plus maybe other stuff too

Order is not guaranted :)

I'd love something like this! Best of luck!
  • Jakro
    Online / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    I've made some tools to speed up the process of renaming objects, specifically for 'Match by name' baking in Substance Painter.  

This next script is for deleting suffixes. It will check if the suffix is '_high' if it is it will delete the last 5 characters of the name. If _high isn't the suffix then it will just delete the last 4 characters which will delete '_low' or '.001'. 

• Yondr
    Offline / Send Message
    Yondr polycounter lvl 6
    Jakro said:
    I've made some tools to speed up the process of renaming objects, specifically for 'Match by name' baking in Substance Painter.  

This next script is for deleting suffixes. It will check if the suffix is '_high' if it is it will delete the last 5 characters of the name. If _high isn't the suffix then it will just delete the last 4 characters which will delete '_low' or '.001'. 

Useful one! I will appreciate if you share it with us  C:
  • Jakro
    Online / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    @Yondr I'm happy to share this but I created it to be called from another addon called Pie Menu Editor. So the script as of right now will not work as a standalone addon. That said, enjoy! Just be sure one of the objects has _low suffix!