Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!

Replies

• warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    I hope Autodesk releases a good version of max

BAHAHAHA Whaaaaaat...
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I would like to see/test more OpenGl stuff, so I'm looking forward the Steambox and Linux. :)
    (Since I'm not interested in Windows 8 and DirectX).
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    I am looking forward towards new strong hardware platforms. DirectX didn't matter after 9 until now and I hope that with the xbox and playstation models we'll get a bigger push towards or perhaps beyond what's already possible on PC.

Oyua and Steam-box (booth linux based) look interesting as well and I think this year is only getting us more middle ware to play around and port to all those various software / hardware platforms.

To be honest though for many things I am not looking forward that much. Windows 8 is not my cup of tea, Autodesk and Adobe are still stuck on their old horses which they patch and build on with every release (often not for the better).
    Professional PC/ or computer solutions are shrinking in favor of the Consumerization move. Everything is dummyfied and ported with a primary focus on mobile devices. Those are things that worry me a bit these days.

Yes
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    playing with NAPE physics for some new texture/ sprite packing technique

8337969819_73e7a59637_o.jpg
    its not sorted yet in any way but it solves already the collisions and generates the hull meshes rather fast.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Native python in Max. Yeah I can wish :) Though I am looking forward to the improvements to the updates to Maya API and python.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    @renderhjs - that was awesome, great fun!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    a little progress on the mesh packing

8344767385_779e569bfb_o.jpg

will try some bigger sprite collections, see what it does compression wise.

edit:
    It seems to work even better with organic shapes :) Although not perfect as some shapes are overlapping here but I might do a similar approach to UV pelt mapping where it simulates rough first and then iterates more carefully later.

8346533642_6b219e998c_o.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So been messing about with Maxscript and trying to send commands from Maya via sockets. Got most of that working thanks to stuff on the web but stuck at how to parse the text back to something max can run. Any ideas?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    in max you have an evaluate command that will run any string as if it were maxscript syntax.
    I think the command is simply
    eval "alert \"some message\""

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Render! It was actually execute though it did point me in the right spot. It was hidden in the maxscript string values section
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    hey renderhjs, what method are you using to pack those sprites? I was looking into something to pack arbitrary 2d polygons before, but I could never find any solutions.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    TheFlyingMonk:
    I pack like I do usually by bounds without rotations, and then convert the sprite blobs into Mesh shapes using the NAPE physics library and after that simulate a simple upwards gravity with a shaking X movement so all the pieces slide neatly into each other. Rotations are snapped within 90 degree rotations to avoid pixel rotations.

Nape comes with a MarchingSquares implementation which is the base for the mesh conversion.

simpling.png

I set the threshold to 1 alpha gradient difference (0-255). But it does seem to skip sometimes some corner :( adding some padding in advance to each sprite can reduce that however.
  • Sipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working on 3dsmax modifier plugin + shader combination to solve viewport issues between different 3dsmax version and tangent basis. As we all know Autodesk usually breaks everything when new version is out. Modifier by passes completly 3dsmax own TBN calculation and replaces it with either importer or mikktspace tangent calculation. Geometry is fed by the asset importer which gives ability to view formats which aren't supported by the 3dsmax without external plugins like lwo, lxo etc.

Real beauty is that you can actually use this new TBN for baking inside the 3dsmax. (Custom renderelement plugin)
    Example images has been baked with xNormal 3.17.16.

3dsmaxmodifier.jpg

mikktspacelightpos.jpg
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers man. I assumed that you where only using the physics just for collision detection. But I like the idea of simulating an ajitator to pack things like that. It sounds more interesting than trying to understand and impliment some algorithm :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sipe wrote: »
    I'm working on 3dsmax modifier plugin + shader combination to solve viewport issues between different 3dsmax version and tangent basis.

Sipe that's awesome. Would love to play with this when you have something ready.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    @Sipe: Wait, wait, wait...you mean to say, I can render/bake something in Max for the maps, using all of it's native tools like MatID, etc...with all the benefit of XN tangent?

You're bloody awesome mate!
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Sipe: That would be great...
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Lovely, love your work!
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    Working on a material tool for Maya meant to act as a lightweight and smart version of the hypershade. I want to make a release this month but there's still some stuff to do.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Working on a material tool for Maya meant to act as a lightweight and smart version of the hypershade. I want to make a release this month but there's still some stuff to do.
    Perhaps a screenshot?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    You are all manly men :thumbup:
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    Perhaps a screenshot?
    Soon :)
    Still working towards a january release. But I guess I can post a screenshot later this week.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Perhaps a bit rude on my side, but what's to point of posting something without actually showing anything?
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    http://vimeo.com/57953448

tech demo for my flow map script is done :)

-- sorry, the vimeo embed refuses to work
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I'm working on my little FBX Set Exporter again for 3DS Max, but I had a question about separating text in strings and into arrays.
    Example, having a string with object names, what character do you use to separate them? I often ends up using ¦ or ¬ because I never seen them used anywhere, didn't think it would accidental break my script (like a object named 'box¦in¦a¦hole', which wouldn't result in one array, but 4).
    I was thinking to use ; instead, but anyone know if its ever used in names or something? I could imagine that some might use : or # , so I wouldn't use them.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I made some progress with my automatic slice-9 (or any slice setup for that matter) detection and realtime resize preview

8407549415_2a1a0cc749_o.gif

I am using it right now for some website CSS stuff, in the UI there is also a code output (CSS, xml, engine XYZ,.. ) which I use to copy and paste CSS attributes. The slices themselves are generated as well with the same tool and packed to a minimal size.

8407562165_d783d26603_o.jpg

8403129097_2c9b6a1466_o.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I dont even use flash and youre blowing my mind.
    someone who is smarter than me should incorporate some of your code for tools to pack uvs and shiz
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Great work going on here as usual, im now breaking my lurker status now that Lego City is about to go gold!

But ive finally got around to finishing something ive needed for a while, a script to load in all scripts (mel and python) from a directory into a handy list of buttons without having to deal with the headache of creating many shelf buttons or shelves for that matter..

ScriptLoader.jpg

Let me know what you awesome people think, cheers

http://flynnsyard.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/if-like-me-your-always-shuffling.html/
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool Flynny. I like it alot.
  • walter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    @Flynny:
    I found this script and the concept to store the Maya Script into Dropbox really interesting.
    Note: I have insttaled the script but when I click to a button, they don't launch the script.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I was looking for a better way to rig quadruped legs. I found this link. Too bad that Max doesn't have a Spring IK Solver, so I started to write one.

SpringIK.gif
    McGreed wrote: »
    I'm working on my little FBX Set Exporter again for 3DS Max, but I had a question about separating text in strings and into arrays.
    Example, having a string with object names, what character do you use to separate them? I often ends up using ¦ or ¬ because I never seen them used anywhere, didn't think it would accidental break my script (like a object named 'box¦in¦a¦hole', which wouldn't result in one array, but 4).
    I was thinking to use ; instead, but anyone know if its ever used in names or something? I could imagine that some might use : or # , so I wouldn't use them.

Just use a comma or semicolon. When saving the string check for comma's and if there is one just give a "No commas in the name warning."

Personally, I use the built in Max Selection Sets to group export sets. No need to store names. Just query what selection sets exist when the UI opens and before you export.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    @Walter Interesting what version of maya are you using and where are you pointing the script at? Id like to fix this if I can.
  • walter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny wrote: »
    @Walter Interesting what version of maya are you using and where are you pointing the script at? Id like to fix this if I can.

Working with Maya 2013,
    and pointing to "C:/Users/xxx/Dropbox/_DOWNLOAD/for_Maya/Maya_Scripts/"
    Thanks Flynny :thumbup:
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ProperSquid polycounter lvl 12
    If anyone is interested, I created a script for Blender 2.65, Maya 2013, and Softimage 2013 called Version Save. Basically, every time you run the script, it will check how old the file is. If it is over 5 minutes old, it creates a new version. This should hopefully help prevent against lost work from corrupted files. Bind this to your save key on your keymap, and you're good to go. In Blender, just bind file.version_save to your save key after you enable to script.

Blender: https://github.com/propersquid/3D_Tools/blob/master/Blender/blender_version_save.py
    Maya: https://github.com/propersquid/3D_Tools/blob/master/Maya/maya_version_save.py
    Softimage: https://github.com/propersquid/3D_Tools/tree/master/Softimage
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    @walter Perhaps try changing the last slash to \ from /.
    Let me know how that goes, if not I can make a debug version and il need you to send me the script editor log ;)
  • walter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Flynny
    with \ it doesn't fing the script path, I have no button.
    with /, I have the button but they don't execute the script.
    No problemo, send me a Debug version.
  • trebor777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trebor777 polycounter lvl 10
    Small Update on my Xnormal Tool for max :)

Previously ON "XNormal tool"!https://dl.dropbox.com/u/167380/XnormalChecker.png

Changed a few things: rather than baking 1 big list of xml files, it bakes 1 file at a time. This allows me to catch Xnormal "crashing" and keep the baking of other stuff. (with a nice message tellnig you about)

That'll be so as long as xnormal doesn't prompt a log for its batch.

This adds a little to the bake time ( as Xnormal has to start again )
    At the end you'll get a nice box telling you about all the bad files who crashed.

Added a few failsafe in case it can't find xnormal (used to simply not work before) so you can still generate all the xml settings without baking.

Still need to add a path configuration ( right now it's plugged on our pipeline, so those are hard coded for now)
    and to add the full list of type of maps for you guys. (as we dont' use all of them here.)

And I discovered the power of tabs with dotnet on MaxUi :)

here's a small snapshot:
    XnormalChecker02.png

I plan on finding a way to check the topology between cage and lowpoly in max like xnormal does. before actually baking. that could save some time i think :) But i've no idea how right now - if you have any hints I'll be really glad for the help.:)

ON The next episode:
    - Cage/Lowpoly topology check
    - Save settings between max session (so you don't have to redo all the map dimensions all over again if script/max crash etc...)
    - Bake Settings per file, so you can set up different bakes batch all at once.
    - Path Config
    - More Map types
    - Coffee? :p
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    trebor777 wrote: »
    That'll be so as long as xnormal doesn't prompt a log for its batch.
    xNormal has a log file, but not very useful. Located in you "MyDocuments" folder.
    Like : "My Documents\xNormal\xNormal_debugLog.txt"
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Flynny wrote: »
    Great work going on here as usual, im now breaking my lurker status now that Lego City is about to go gold!

But ive finally got around to finishing something ive needed for a while, a script to load in all scripts (mel and python) from a directory into a handy list of buttons without having to deal with the headache of creating many shelf buttons or shelves for that matter..

ScriptLoader.jpg

Let me know what you awesome people think, cheers

http://flynnsyard.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/if-like-me-your-always-shuffling.html/

Some R&D I did some years ago, very very similar
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63675
  • trebor777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooh indeed froyok, it's pretty useless,
    Let me rephrase: "as long as there isn't a useful log for xnormal that people can use" :p
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Oooh indeed froyok, it's pretty useless,
    Let me rephrase: "as long as there isn't a useful log for xnormal that people can use" :p
    Haha, yeah ! :D
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Small Update on my Xnormal Tool for max :)
    - Bake Settings per file, so you can set up different bakes batch all at once.

I've had a lot of success storing settings as an array in a custom attribute applied to RootNode.

On rollout open look for the custom attribute. If found load the array, if not apply the attribute to the RootNode with a default array.

On rollout close gather your settings into an array and re-apply it to the attribute.

It's also cool to use a file open callback to auto load settings as the max file changes.
  • trebor777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a bad idea :)
    I was thinking of using external files ( might as well use the generated xml for something else than just using it at bake time )
    Since the tool doesn't really care about the max scene, but operates on files in folders.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I updated the website of ShoeBox
    http://renderhjs.net/shoebox/

8440153443_54b0d7efd3_o.jpg

It now has a support system (Bugs; ideas: voting, suggesting) and a UI that I build using the new Slice9 tool (using CSS border-images).
    The Sprite Pivot tool also has a proper documentation now as well as the Slice9 tool.
  • TaylorAnimated
    Crossposting from my sketchbook. I posted some of these in the usual pimping and preview thread, but this is a much better place for rigging :)

These are two robots that I rigged for a current student of my 3D course, Stephen Gibson http://www.ssgibson.ca/ He modeled and textured these badboys and I worked my magic to give them both IK controls in their legs. It was a bit of a challenge, since they both have more then a humans amount of joints in their legs, including several unidirectional joints. Stephen is working on an animation with these two and their flying third, but I'll be doing my own animation to show off the controls.

DudleyJump.jpg
    scout_glamour_shot_2_by_stevegibson-d5tgpwh.jpg

This robot is from another student Nathan Dunn nathan_dunn05@hotmail.com, He needed it on a deadline so I whipped it up in a few days. I used what I learned from the previous 2 robots to give this thing IK legs as well. I had to do some fanegling to figure out how to get both the top and bottom of the leg to drive eachother without complaining. The end result is pretty neat, though in this animation I overextend it in several places to show off the movement.

SpiderMechRigIK.gif

I'd love some comments and criticisms, I'll be posting animations as soon as I have them.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so my material tool isn't finished yet. I failed my own personal deadline because I've been moving furniture around and been cleaning for the past two weeks (helped dad move out his stuff from his apartment, then moved in my stuff because I'm now renting it).

Either way, I promised you a screenshot about 2 weeks ago - so here's a sneak peak:
    wipx.jpg

The goal is to make material management (applying, querying, etc) a lot easier for artists and level designers working in Maya. The hyperShade is just too slow, too large, too bulky and yea... I don't like it. Anyway: right now I only have support for surface shaders but I plan on adding other material support (mental ray!).
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not my work but I thought this might be interesting to anyone who wants to get techy with Modo. A complete video series on the hows and whys behind creating Modo kits and scripts:

http://hellomodo.com/2013/02/muhamed-toromanovic-creating-kits-for-modo-series/
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Ok so my material tool isn't finished yet. I failed my own personal deadline because I've been moving furniture around and been cleaning for the past two weeks (helped dad move out his stuff from his apartment, then moved in my stuff because I'm now renting it).

Either way, I promised you a screenshot about 2 weeks ago - so here's a sneak peak:
    [IMG*]http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3019/wipx.jpg[/IMG]

The goal is to make material management (applying, querying, etc) a lot easier for artists and level designers working in Maya. The hyperShade is just too slow, too large, too bulky and yea... I don't like it. Anyway: right now I only have support for surface shaders but I plan on adding other material support (mental ray!).

I'm really looking forward to it, I planned something similar in my todolist but never had the time for doing it ! ;)