Home General Discussion

Holy santas batman! - Steam holiday sale.

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Mezz - if you loved Machiancianrairuairium youll be all over Braid... its fucking great. Theres about 6~hours of gameplay there and its incredibly satisfying to clear the puzzles.

I'm absolutely loving Mirrors Edge, really glad i got a chance to play it. The level design is really impressive although I find the linearity of it a bit much at times - I dont mean that in a sandbox lover way, but when compared to how free you are to navigate the playgrounds in Time Trial mode it feels awfully limiting to only have 1 plank/1 walljump etc as a means of traversing the area.

- Edit, I really didnt find the combat that fun, especially when it was a bit forced (getting shot to shit because youve gotta turn something or make a hard jump kinda leaves you little option) - It's quite fun when you get the hang of dodging and running around midfight but its still a bit too limited, but ..its aight. Still, theres an awesome climb at the end which, although isnt open ended... is a lot of fun to do!

But wow, 4hours 45mins to complete story mode... haha, didnt think it'd be THAT short - but what there is is gold, hell id say its more interesting than Call of Honour: World at Warfare2.

And to those yet to get Dead Space its a definate must have!

Heres hoping for another Batman AA Sale and perhaps a cheaper Borderlands to really put the nail in the fucking coffin!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Zombie Driver's pretty fun, though there's lots of wasted potential there. No free-roam mode, so once you've completed the story and upgraded your car/weapons, you have to start over from scratch. Autosave with only one slot, too, so there's no revisiting levels (not that they're all that different from each other). For 3 bucks, though, you'll get a good amount of fun out of it (I bought it for 10 and I'm still pretty happy with the purchase).
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    $10 Dead Space available now.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Frump wrote: »
    Really? Do you mean the DLC, because I want the full game to be on sale. If it was, maybe it was not enough of a discount and I blocked it out of my mind. Or I missed the first set of sales.

Time to look for an archive or list of what sales they had.

http://www.destructoid.com/steam-sale-day-3-borderlands-ghostbusters-trine-more-156323.phtml

• Trine for $9.99 (50% off)
    • Borderlands for $33.49 (33% off)
    • Ghostbusters: The Video Game for $9.99 (50% off)
    • Resident Evil 5 for $24.99 (50% off)
    • Left 4 Dead: Game of the Year Edition for $7.49 (75% off)
    • Spore for $19.99 (50% off)
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Ghostbusters is only $9.99? that kinda makes me sad :/
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Yup Luke, installing now :)
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmmmmmm, fine, Burnout :)
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Between this and the previous Black Friday sale I've bought nine games... for the price of one new console game at retail.

Digital distribtion FTW.
    Productivity RIP.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prey has ... sold out?

They ran out of keys for it. I've never seen a digital game run out.
    All the games in todays discount are awesome.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    sicsided wrote: »
    Prey has ... sold out?

They ran out of keys for it. I've never seen a digital game run out.
    All the games in todays discount are awesome.

wasnt interested in prey at all, but I'm glad its gone from the list since its replacement is bioshock, and I need to buy that (missed the bioshock sale last year :()

I've bought 6 games for the price of 1 new retail game too \o/

Now I got too many games that need playing :/
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    shit, same here I just bought 3 more. STOP IT STEAM. i have more games than I have time to play!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Bioshock for $5! I've played it through on the 360 but I sold that a long time ago and want to play through it again once I get a computer that can handle it.

Can't wait to see what tomorrows deals are.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I've spent about 100usd, and have over 20 games (if I count those in the lucasarts and rockstar packs individually). And I fully expect to get tempted by more over the next few days. Fuck.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    • Borderlands for $33.49 (33% off)

That's just part of the 2k sale (all games 33% off) and has been that price the whole time. I am hoping for a one day only 75% off dealie like they keep doing with other awesome games. But really, at this point I am satisfied enough with all the sales there has been. I owe some developer a full price purchase by now.:)

I picked up Bioshock today as well. I played it before for a couple hours and didn't get into it, but I had never stopped hearing about how much of an amazing game it is, so I'll give it another chance. I have wired 360 controller to use with it on PC now so that might help as last time controls were one of the biggest issues for me on PC.

Besides that, I hope you guys picked up Indigo Prophecy when it was on! I played it for 7 hours straight today and I have only ever done that with one or two other games I can recall. Last was the Half-life 2 series. It has quickly made its way into my short "favorite games" list.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Dammit!! I missed L4D sale again!! Damn..... IT....... Good thing I got the second one, but damn I wanna play the first on my pc...
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Is Jade Empire worth the money?
    I already have bought way too many games over the last couple of days, but stil... :P.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Nobody buy Bioshock off Steam. Made the same mistake last december. Haven't got it to run yet.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir wrote: »
    I already have bought way too many games over the last couple of days, but stil... :P.
    played it for xbox back when it first came out, rented it for a weekend and finished it, so at the original price it wouldn't have been worth it at all. the gameplay was simple and fun, but it was quite short and the ending was phenominally disapointing. it did have it's moments and some of the story points were pretty decent, so i don't think you'll feel ripped off at the steam price, just don't expect to be blown away.

...and actually if you take the time to learn the combat system properly and not just button mash like i did there's some good kung-fu action to be had.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobody buy Bioshock off Steam. Made the same mistake last december. Haven't got it to run yet.

I got it working with no problems at all. Same with some other friends who bought it.... anyway your warning is a day too late, the big bioshock sale is over :p

Also btw I got gta4 working once the steam servers stopped being too busy to launch the game.

Dammit!! I missed L4D sale again!! Damn..... IT....... Good thing I got the second one, but damn I wanna play the first on my pc...

There wasnt a l4d sale... but now there is, so its time for you to buy it now!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Aside from an embarrassing incident where I was too drunk to remember my password, I've never had any problems with Steam.

To quote Mr. Burns...

http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tv_sounds/sounds_files_20081223_9801173/simpsons/burns_mistakes.wav
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Japhir wrote: »

I thought it was pretty neat. Nothing spectacular though but still nice if you like RPGs/Adventures. 10 euros is about right I guess.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    YAY!! I actually didn't miss the Left 4 Dead sale like I thought. I'm installing now. Thank you steam. I didn't even have to be good all year to get this present.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man I should have bought torchlight when it was 5 dollars! ah well, 10 inst bad.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »

Error 403: ACCESS IS PROHIBITED

I am sorry but remotely linking to ,pdf, .tar, .zip, .gz, image and sound files on this server is prohibited.
    Please browse for the file yourself by visiting the site that is being linked to.
    So I missed that, sorry.
    Not saying everyone has had problems with Bioshock, but it is a well documented problem, affecting hundreds. Servers being busy isn't my GTA4 problem, Steam won't let me receive a gifted game lol, some browser problem.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    There are problems with bioshock and tablet drivers which can easily be taken care off though. (had the problem and fixd it)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I'll look into that :)
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    I really hope they will excite me today with Garry's mod and Witcher discounts... plz plz plz :P
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    There is already a huge discount on the witcher enhance edition ?
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS wrote: »
    I really hope they will excite me today with Garry's mod and Witcher discounts... plz plz plz :P

The witcher discount was on the first day, and I believe garry's mod was one the 2nd or 3rd of the sale. So unless they do it again... sorry mate :(

Thinking about getting Shattered Horizons, but my school loans kick in at the end of this month too. Hmmmm....
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Streetfighter 4, does the PC version work with 2 player on the same puter with 2 different joysticks? Im not going to use LIVE if I can help it. I can play with a co-worker on freetime.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Streetfighter 4, does the PC version work with 2 player on the same puter with 2 different joysticks? Im not going to use LIVE if I can help it. I can play with a co-worker on freetime.

I've tried it with a xbox pad + a joystick and it works fine, havent got 2 joysticks to try it with but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prices have dropped on many of the sales. Saw Crysis and Shattered Horizons at much larger prices earlier, got home from work now, have dropped dramatically. Picked those up.
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    First hour or so prices are highier in these sales as I saw.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmmm... got Crysis, Shattered Horizon and Multiwinia. Now where do I get the time to play all those? :D
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    sicsided wrote: »
    The witcher discount was on the first day, and I believe garry's mod was one the 2nd or 3rd of the sale. So unless they do it again... sorry mate :(

The Witcher is still on sale for $13.59.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    i should probably get me tf2... maybe
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    @sicsided, oh man, I missed first few days of sale...

Well I decided and bought World in Conflict with expansion for 15eur today
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    Mass Effect for $5 just amazing. KOTOR is also going for $5. So many games which one to get.
    It's sad no one ever gifts a game to me. :/
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I would've gotten Shatter Horizon but what's this shit about it not being compatible with Windows XP!?

Can anyone vouch for Mr. Robot or the Sam & Max pack? Both are lookin mighty tempting...
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    OOh sam and max and mass effect for cheap time. I already own ME, but having bought the DVD has done my head in, I have one install left on it but found the DRm bugged as anything. I might get the DOOM pack as well. The crysis pack is cheaper than buying 1 on its own, already have the first, but now i have a GTX260 i want to play Warhead. It feels like I'm mumbling to myself on decisions to make. Senile here I come.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    omg steam is stealing all my moneyz with there super good deals

mass effect, dead space, crysis pack.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I now officially do not belong anymore to the group of twelve people who didn't have Mass Effect yet. Here's hoping I like Bioware better than Bethesda.
    ebagg wrote: »
    Can anyone vouch for Mr. Robot or the Sam & Max pack? Both are lookin mighty tempting...
    I played Season 1 of Sam & Max on the Wii. It's a bit of a slow start, but the episodes gradually got better. I'm not personally a fan of Point 'n Click Adventures, so I had my brother play with me, and we could solve all the puzzles together. Since we only had to look up one or two puzzles after breaking our heads for 15 minutes, I guess it's not a terribly difficult game, but it's really funny, varying from banter, references and parodies to songs and clever use of gameplay. It was the best game experience I had this year until I played Mirror's Edge, but I would again point out that I played it on the Wii with my brother, which is a bit of a different experience, of course. Nevertheless, it gets a recommendation from me unless Point 'n Click makes you want to kill little children.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I now officially do not belong anymore to the group of twelve people who didn't have Mass Effect yet. Here's hoping I like Bioware better than Bethesda.
    You should, Bioware is on a whole different level when it comes to... pretty much everything.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    2 days left... Heres hoping for another Batman sale like during T-day. Yes, yes I know about the Eidos pack. I rather just get one game than a large variety of things I wouldn't play.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Arg damn you steam!! Just purchased the Doom Pack for $13 and X-2 & X-3 pack for $18! :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I finally played half-life 2 Episode 2, and it was short :( I ran through it expecting there to be a lot more. But there was only the tunnels, driving, saving the silo, protecting silo, end.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    I would've gotten Shatter Horizon but what's this shit about it not being compatible with Windows XP!?

Oh, me, me! Mr. Robot was well worth the money I payed. I'm not very far in, but I've enjoyed myself so far. And the graphics are quite fun.

Also, I hope that shit about Shattered Horizon isn't true. Haven't had a chance to install yet, so can't confirm.
    You do get three guest passes (free time-limited copies of the game to gift) when you purchase it, so that's nice.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Oh, me, me! Mr. Robot was well worth the money I payed. I'm not very far in, but I've enjoyed myself so far. And the graphics are quite fun.

Also, I hope that shit about Shattered Horizon isn't true. Haven't had a chance to install yet, so can't confirm.
    You do get three guest passes (free time-limited copies of the game to gift) when you purchase it, so that's nice.

Shattered Horizon is DirectX 10 ONLY. There is no DirectX 10 for Windows XP, so you have to have Vista or Windows 7. Also need a DirectX 10 capable video card.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    At least DirectX 11 will be on vista and win7, Microsoft really wants people to update, and they should.
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wtf with today's sale, bummer :(

Happy with Trials2 from yesterday, lots of fun.