Home General Discussion

Holy santas batman! - Steam holiday sale.

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Damn it dude, the Eidos pack has Batman AA in there and a ton of other games!! $50!!

Had to run to go get one of those eCC's. The banks here won't give you a card with a JBL logo unless you have a job, no matter how much $$ is in there.

I happy: Eidos pack and Torchlight. I have enough games to last well into next year. hard to not go on a spending spree with these prices.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    World in Conflict and Company of Heroes are a must if you've never played them...
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got CoH, but wish I had the steam version. Freakin Steam is getting hammered, I usually get 7.5MB/sec, but now I am barely breaking 500kb/ps.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    oh my god, theres not been a single game I've ever tried in my whole life that has me wanting to give up trying before the menu screen - until now, congratulations GTA4! (edit, this sentence needed to be bold'ed and coloured for emphasis)

Rockstar games social club, windows live AND steam dont seem to play well. Steam doesnt wanna run gta4 because its servers are too busy, rgsc doesnt wanna run gta4 because it doesnt detect its been installed, gta4launcher.exe was promising, it validated my cd key (on it's 4th attempt) - and then nothing else happened.
    GTA4.exe does nothing either, actually I tried every exe in the folder just to get anything to happen.

Downloaded the patch on the RGSC news window, which I assume I already got with steam updates but I just tried it anyway because I ran out of things to try and the GTA4_TU5 (Patch).exe doesnt think I have RGSC installed because its in the steam folder and wasn't installed by itself.

After some research I gather that even if steam wasn't too busy to handle my request, clicking the GTA4 shortcut in my steam games will open up the RGSC window and then clicking play will again result in a message saying GTA4 not being installed!

It says in the FAQ that rgsc and windows live isnt necessary; "Please note that registration into either is not mandatory to play the single player campaign. "

Great, so how do I start it without the RGSC ? > googled it, you just logout of RGSC and then click skip login which takes you to the exact same window as if you are logged in, and then you click play and it says you're not logged in, plus the application failed to launch once again because it still thinks gta4 isnt installed :/

Tried every solution I've googled except reinstalling, which I guess is something I will have to do now. But I figured I'll ask my friends who bought it on steam if they got these problems too and how they got it to work because I dont want to spend another 35 hours to re download 15gb of stuff that I've already verified with steam... I thought the purpose of verifying the integrity of a game is so that you dont have to reinstall it completely -.-

edit: spoke to some people who had no problems, so just gonna reinstall it because apparently that is the best solution. If that dont work then I'll really give up and just think of it as donating some money to rockstar/valve for making good games.

edit: steam is not the target of my complaints, RGSC is. All my other games on steam work fine, including the ones I just bought yesterday like defense grid. But I assume whatever the problem is, its something between steam and RGSC~

LATEST EDIT: Just to let whoever happens to stumble upon this page know; GTA4 is working for me now. Once steam wasn't too busy to handle my attempts at launching the game, it initialized some directx thingy and probably activated my gta4 key on steam or something. I don't know, but whatever it did was required to be done once for running gta4.

Now I don't need to run steam and I can still play GTA4 from launching RGSC alone.

This doesn't take away the achievement of being the most annoying game I've ever tried to install though, but at least now the blame is shared between steam and rockstar :p
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yep, Steam has so many problems, they really should have sorted it out years ago. I can't even download the games gifted to me. Epic fail Valve, get some decent internet codeys please.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Complaining about Steam now? Holy hell you should have seen it when it first came out (if you didn't that is). I couldn't connect to any counter-strike games, and half the time the system is down. Steam right now is like heaven.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    I havent had any problems with steam, maybe few times with major releases but nothing really frustrating.

There is a number of workarounds for common problems, it works either way.

And yeah i also got a bounch of stuff from steam this year... too much :P

I'm thinking about Beyond G&E and Oddworld pack, dunno about other stuff.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    No problems installing gta4, and it's running smooth (knock on wood) :)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    stuff like that is why good people pirate games.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GTA4 did indeed have the most annoying install/startup process of any game I've ever played. Once it's all set up it's pretty easy to start the game (start Rockstar launcher, press "Play"), but the initial setup makes you want to bang your head on your desk.

I still play GTA4 to this day though (got it last December). The physics and animations are insane, and the graphics are impressive if your PC can handle them. It's nice to have a sandbox game you can just drop into for an hour to relax.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Just bought the Borderlands DLC x2 (for my girlfriend and I), Bioshock, and Trine.

I was about to buy a second copy of Trine for my girlfriend but I checked the Steam forums and found out that you must play co-op on your machine.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got like 25 games these past couple days. A bunch of those $5 ones and packs. Been playing Batman most of the time.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I would bet that the current steam hiccups has been because of people massing steam due to it having the cheapest prices this holiday in the known human universe.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have problems downloading change your download region.
    Ireland has to much bandwith in comparison to downloads i find.
    Always gives best dl rate.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sicsided wrote: »
    Complaining about Steam now? Holy hell you should have seen it when it first came out (if you didn't that is). I couldn't connect to any counter-strike games, and half the time the system is down. Steam right now is like heaven.

Of course things are going to be buggy on release; but it is unforgivable four years down the line, especially considering you won't get support to write back for at least seven days. Johns right, this is the kind of crap that gets people pirating/cracking stuff...
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    blenderhead. There's always some dude that's never happy with how things are. This time it's you. I don't have any buggs or hiccups and there's noone else complaining about this on gameforums i hang out on. So you're one of the few.

Would be worse if everyone was complaining. So all in all. It's pretty good. :)
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    Ok, guys seriousy?

Nobody cares about Serious Sam HD? I bought 5 copies, one for me, 4 for roomies :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serious Sam is awesome, but i've already got the originals and i haven't seen anything in the HD release that would warrant buying them again, especially after how boring SS2 was. sorry.
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    Well if you played over originals, thats cool. But I know that a lot of people don't even know what that game is. I never played first encounter... only second and I loved every second of it. Coop is a lot of fun allways in SS.

Hmm.. thinking about getting torchlight...

Oh, ye.. new sale:
    King's Bounty: Armored Princess - 75% off - 9,99eur
    Battlefield 2: Complete Collection - 75% off - 5,00eur
    Cogs - 80% off - 1,79eur
    Red Faction Guerrilla - 75% off - 12,49eur
    Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation - 90% off - 1.--eur
    Resident Evil™ 5 - 50% off - 18,99eur
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    there goes another 40 quid. on £90 worth of games! w00t
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    picked up Armored Princess and Cogs today, woot. Thinking of picking up Elf Bowling, just for kicks. :p

Playing through Indigo Prophecy for the first time, and I'm really enjoying it (the fact that the QT events are relatively forgiving helps). It's got me truly psyched for Heavy Rain, whilst before this, I was merely a vaguely-interested observer.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Games I bought myself for Christmas:

STALKER (bought it when it was $1.99)
    GTA4
    Battlefield 2
    Cogs

Edit:

Blenderhead, what internet explorer version are you using? I contacted Steam because I couldn't buy any thing...they said to upgrade my IE to version 7+...I DL 8 and bam! Everything is working fine. I use firefox, so I don't even know what version IE I had.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    another tempted by cogs :) yeah for that price why the hell not, its a neat concept isnt it.

heres my xmas list, I'll need another holiday just to finish them!
    cogs
    ass creed
    battlefield 2
    crayon physics
    ducati world championship
    ghostbusters
    gtaIV
    prince of persia
    RE5
    toca3
    splinter cell chaos theory
    torchlight

nice little haul
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blenderhead. There's always some dude that's never happy with how things are. This time it's you. I don't have any buggs or hiccups and there's noone else complaining about this on gameforums i hang out on. So you're one of the few.

Would be worse if everyone was complaining. So all in all. It's pretty good. :)

BIG difference between someone bitchin bout TF2 being unbalanced or whatever and someone literally not being able to pay what they played for mate. I'm not the only one in the last few days in this thread who has had problems with Steam if you actually read it. It's not like something that rarely happens as you incinuate. I've also had issues in the past (never got bioshock working, Modern Warfare 2 borked and the fix meant I couldnt play all my other steam games for ages). Best do the math before posting...;)
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was semi-tempted by Cogs when I read about it on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, but never got around to trying it out. Yeah, at $2, there's no loss to be made. :p

Hmm, didn't realise Ghostbusters was less than 7. And the reviews seem solid, too. Dammit, that's another to add to the list.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    its like I have eaten a huge christmas lunch and my brain has left the building, so there's some primal purchaser drone behaviour and anything under £5 must be bought regardless of any other factor! I need to get a grip on this nonsense before I drain dry! damn you steam! damn you xmas lunch!

but think of all the games! I will be set for months with all the mad goodies I have unnecessarily bought!
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course things are going to be buggy on release; but it is unforgivable four years down the line, especially considering you won't get support to write back for at least seven days. Johns right, this is the kind of crap that gets people pirating/cracking stuff...

Oh yeah, I didn't even mean for this to get outta hand like it did. Just meant Steam used to be hell, and now its not. In terms of GTA4 not working on PC, that's all Rockstar from what I can tell. That's why I didn't get it on release date and that's why I didn't get it on this sale because I've known there were mass issues with getting it started. In terms of getting people to actually buy PC games though, I think Steam has done a really good job.

As of my issues recently, I had the no gore version of L4D2 even though I live in America and my SW:KOTOR still won't run. I've gotten responses pretty quick from Valve though. Different strokes I guess.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    The last games i bought and couldnt play were Borderlands and Batman, Fallout 3 kind of worked but kept crashing :(
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIG difference between someone bitchin bout TF2 being unbalanced or whatever and someone literally not being able to pay what they played for mate. I'm not the only one in the last few days in this thread who has had problems with Steam if you actually read it. It's not like something that rarely happens as you incinuate. I've also had issues in the past (never got bioshock working, Modern Warfare 2 borked and the fix meant I couldnt play all my other steam games for ages). Best do the math before posting...;)
    You're still the one bitching the most about it though. Point is. It can't be all steams fault really since it works so well for the majority of people. Alot of services have faults and bugs yeah but it can't be as bad as you make it out, maybe you need a computer wipe? Anyway.

PS: Fuck the maths. Pens are made to draw with. :poly142:
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like MW2 is going to be on sale soon... Amazon has it listed for $40. Steam needs to do something about that.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    playing mirror's edge on steam right now. never bought it new, and it was only $4. for $4 it feels like game of the year hahaha.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dolemite wrote: »
    playing mirror's edge on steam right now. never bought it new, and it was only $4. for $4 it feels like game of the year hahaha.

I bought it on last sale.

Loved it but would be dissapointed if i bought it for 50 euro, the game is so damn short.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirrors Edge was worth it at $50. Hopefully the $4 price will get more people to give it a try.
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bought the EIDOS pack while I am having exams. Damn you steam
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    So.. if torchlight for 8eur was still a bit much for you... its 3eur today :D

Lets get it!
  • Figroti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This sale is amazing. I bought Titan Quest and the expansion for $10. I've been craving some multiplayer hack and slash lately. Torchlight would have been perfect if only it had multiplayer.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    ArYeS wrote: »
    So.. if torchlight for 8eur was still a bit much for you... its 3eur today :D

Lets get it!

Man, I'm so glad I waited! I didn't buy it cuz I'm not a hardcore fan of these games, but I did enjoy the demo...at $4.99 I couldn't say no!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, Prototype's on today's sale for 20usd. I'm tempted, but how well does it play? (Also, how much of a system hog is it?)
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    Don't know about prototype, I didn't have much fun time with it.. Its amazing in the beggining when you start to jump and run on buildings, but after that its not much of a story or anything that would get me playing.

Dragon Age is 25% off and still I can buy retail here for less... some things are so expensive on steam in europe...

Just bought Torchlight, which character did you enjoy the most?
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I'm having a blast with Mirror's Edge's time trial mode, the gun/police chase element could have been dropped from the gameplay and I wouldn't have missed it.

I had thought about buying Torchlight earlier (I dig the artstyle), I just picked it up along with Lumines: Sexy Blocks Edition, too good of a deal.

I'm waiting to see if Batman AA makes the special deals list too XD.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get beyond good and evil and oddworld odysee&exodus, both for 2,5euro!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Bought Red Faction Guerilla and Dead Space since last post.

Still waiting on a Borderlands super discount! Don't let me down!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there already was a borderlands superdiscount. First day. :)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder what this will do to regular game sales. I don't really see myself buying games on released in 2010 now that I expect a sweet discount on Steam in the holiday season.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well. Modern warfare 2 hasn't gotten any discount whatsoever. Not even a mini one. Modern warfare 1 was almost full price when nr 2 was released aswell.

Sometimes ya got no choice Zwebbie man! :)
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    there already was a borderlands superdiscount. First day. :)

Really? Do you mean the DLC, because I want the full game to be on sale. If it was, maybe it was not enough of a discount and I blocked it out of my mind. Or I missed the first set of sales.

Time to look for an archive or list of what sales they had.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Braid is on sale for $2.49... and I've heard really good things about this game. Not sure if it's my kind of game, but for $2.49, I don't think I can say no!

Anyone here played it? Thoughts on the game?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Has anyone played Zombie Driver? Looks like a fun game, and its $3.00 today.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Also, this game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/40709/

It's called Machinarium, and it's AMAZING! My bro sent it to me as a little b-day gift, and I just finished playing it tonight.

It's a Myst-style (action puzzler...? Dunno the actual genre name :P) game made in the Czech Republic, I believe, and is totally worth the $9.99 USD that's it's on sale for right now. The art in it is really something, the puzzles are real noodle-scratchers, but also very fun and clever, and the entire game has a great, cute sense of humour. It's grungy and everything is mechanical (you, and all the other characters, are robot people), but it still manages to be cute and endearing. I got very addicted on it--one day I spent about 8 hours playing this game :P (Depending how long it takes you to solve puzzles/how much you use the walkthrough, it will take you somwhere around 10 hours or so I think?)

No, I don't work for the developers that made this game. :P I just got over being addicted to it, so I feel the need to go on and on about it to anyone who will listen... lol

...Get it! :D