Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My M4A1

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
waedoe polycounter lvl 8
Might be over done but i'm modeling my m4 that i use in the marine corp. so far i have the mag 90% done, foregrip done, and bullet done. ill be updating this thread as much as possible sorry if the renders arent the best, just started using max again, and am still learning subd. This high poly model will be converted normalized and projected onto a low poly with normal map so i can hopefully get it in hl2 or something like that.

*Please Crit Away*

2helite.jpg

23iux4z.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/2jeej2r.jpg

Replies

• Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    you jarheads use pmags?
    i guess they are private purchase? arent they acutally heavier than the stanags?

looks slick so far, work faster :)
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    update!

this stock has been giving me troubles, this is my 3rd subd model so far, any way crits please, if you think you can give me any tips, please leave them here. Sorry it took so long to update, i was on the rifle range qualifying all week.

334sple.jpg

59tqb9.jpg

w9jtxs.jpg

2jeej2r.jpg
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    finished with the stock for now moving on to the acog

29610zt.jpg
    ab73h5.jpg
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Looking great so far, i noticed one spot on the butt of the stock that may need some love. The top center of the ring on the back of the stock looks a little off, maybe from symmetry. Otherwise its looking really good. Post a couple ref photos and keep it up!:)
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    MOE_Stock_Black.jpg
    IMG_7687%201028%20WEVO.jpg

By the way there is floating geometery at the back where those screws are, this model is over all going to be used for a normal map
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    Working on the Acog

2eoidxw.jpg
    Uploaded_633772466127968750_File.JPG2j32qrp.jpg
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
  • kjell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work mate!
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your stuff is really good.

I was wondering if you could tell me how you made the waffle magazines? I mean the little extrudes, are they? on the sides... is that what you did to get that waffle look?
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    yes those parts were cut out from the main mesh on the mag then detached and turned into its own object. i extrueded by normal, then added the control edges.

heres a pic:

34pge84.jpg
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    small update before i go to bed should be done with this in the next week time permiting

3534ac4.jpg
    rkqwso.jpg

2889fuf.jpg

20poxly.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So to get the waffle look you inserted a separate model with support edges into the magazine model?? Doesn't that make the polycount crazy high?
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this looks awesome can't wait to see more, the magazine is so sick
  • Ayro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait to see how this turns out!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    Yes, but that won't matter if its for baking a normal.

Now if I knew what that meant it'd make sense.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Baking a normal map from this highpoly base to a lowpoly model?

e:// He was faster. And explained it better :3
    ||
    \/
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    n88tr wrote: »

In modern game art, you first to a high poly with alot of geometri details, and then a low poly where only very important details are still done using geometri. After that you can bake the normals from the high poly down into a normals map, that can be used by the engine to fake detailed models.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13

http://wiki.polycount.net/Normal_Map
  • bmasterson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bmasterson polycounter lvl 9
    So to get the waffle look you inserted a separate model with support edges into the magazine model?? Doesn't that make the polycount crazy high?
    Actually the poly count usually ends up being lower when you do that. Think about it. You'd have to split the contiguous surface of the magazine with unnecessary intersections.
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    jfywxu.jpg

2i8yoti.jpg

2i1jb78.jpg

1gr8sm.jpg

sorry its been so long guys real life took ahold, im going to try and get to the low poly model by thanks giving, ill be releasing this for multiple games if any one is interested :D
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good, although it has some flaws.

check a real flashhider, the holes arent quite correct.
    they´re somehow rectangular, where the should have a slight taperd , oval shape.
    then the 2 rivets going along the mfd should be round in the center.

the frontsight is missing the little "rod" between the wings (which is there for aiming ;) )

then the gasblock part (blocky) part right above the barrel, should be more round/bevel at the top.
    right now it appears boxy.

acoung might use a backupsight?

the large ring/screw that holds the stocktube shouldnt be attached to the slingplate, but is rather a single piece.

the kac frontgrip also has some flaws, get ref.

other than that, tight model :)
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gah looks sick
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks really nice, especially like the detail on the bolt catch.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ACOG is super tight, I love that.

Why did you model the grip handle with the little details? Wouldn't it be better to leave that work to a texturer? Or are you just showing that YOU CAN model with that really tight detail?
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    The ACOG is super tight, I love that.

Why did you model the grip handle with the little details? Wouldn't it be better to leave that work to a texturer? Or are you just showing that YOU CAN model with that really tight detail?

i modeled it on there because it looks good for normal maps : / lol. this is all a test project really so im trying to learn as much as i can, and so far i have learned alot. the worse part so far has been the rail system, i made it one object so it took forever to do. i really need to go to school to learn how to use my tools better. or maybe read up on them! ill be updating more thanks for the comments and critz so far guys!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything looks amazing to me. Did you use Nurbs to do the scope or just polies with lots of support edges?

Also how did you cut such perfect holes in your foregrip? I usually add a ton of geometry to form a punch where I extrude to the other side and then delete faces and merge verts but then I have to go back and delete the polies that helped me make the rough circle extrude. I'm assuming you do it a different way because yours is so smooth. Can you help me out?

Thanks a ton.
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    Everything looks amazing to me. Did you use Nurbs to do the scope or just polies with lots of support edges?

Also how did you cut such perfect holes in your foregrip? I usually add a ton of geometry to form a punch where I extrude to the other side and then delete faces and merge verts but then I have to go back and delete the polies that helped me make the rough circle extrude. I'm assuming you do it a different way because yours is so smooth. Can you help me out?

Thanks a ton.

Yes i can give you a little insight i actually was perplexed by the rail system too, and i honestly think i did my holes rather in efficiently but ill up load a wire frame of it and upload the .obj so you can play around with it, ill have it up by later tonight, right now im working on the ejection port and dont really want to slow my flow, so say in a few hours ill have the up loaded for you, and sorry if everyone is expecting quicker updates, ive been lazy : ( ill work harder
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    So here's the .obj for the rails feel freed to download it and critique it. 3 megs.

http://www.mediafire.com/?r1nyjwnzwzt

ill get renders on my progress soon
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the best m4 models i've seen i think, it just looks and feels correct... keep at it!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG thank you so much. I forget the smoothing fixes so many things if your geo is on target like this rail model is. It looks like I'm doing the holes in the foregrip the same way but I delete a lot more geometry personally before I smooth, thus it takes me a lot longer but I've become a bit OC on keeping my models clean. Not super clean but I don't like em messy and more.
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    OMG thank you so much. I forget the smoothing fixes so many things if your geo is on target like this rail model is. It looks like I'm doing the holes in the foregrip the same way but I delete a lot more geometry personally before I smooth, thus it takes me a lot longer but I've become a bit OC on keeping my models clean. Not super clean but I don't like em messy and more.

yeah make sure that you are having your edges flow correctly, i personally think i could have saved some time if i would have made each little rail division by its self but the rails themselves turned out pretty seamless.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Oh no... I just started working on one of these and it looks like your work will be hard to beat!
    ;)
    Great work man, I'll be interested to see how yours turns out, this thread is a huge motivation for me!
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Rumkugel wrote: »
    looks good, although it has some flaws.

check a real flashhider, the holes arent quite correct.
    they´re somehow rectangular, where the should have a slight taperd , oval shape.
    then the 2 rivets going along the mfd should be round in the center.

the frontsight is missing the little "rod" between the wings (which is there for aiming ;) )

then the gasblock part (blocky) part right above the barrel, should be more round/bevel at the top.
    right now it appears boxy.

acoung might use a backupsight?

the large ring/screw that holds the stocktube shouldnt be attached to the slingplate, but is rather a single piece.

the kac frontgrip also has some flaws, get ref.

other than that, tight model :)

waedoe wrote: »
    Might be over done but i'm modeling my m4 that i use in the marine corp...

I dunno, I would consider using one pretty good ref.

Anyway, pretty sweet rifle. Looking forward to see a lowpoly and textures for this.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loaded the OBJ, Turbosmoothed and got strange smoothing errors D:

m4s1_smooth_error.jpg
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    if you get that make sure that verts aren't broken by selecting them all and welding at 0.0 and also if that doesnt work find the modifier stl check apply it switch it back to editable geometery then apply turbosmoth again.

*edit*

ill be gone for today i have a machinegun range i have to go to so i wont be able to share any more updates till thursday, i have a pretty big update to release on the weapon so stay tuned!
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBJ is just a mesh so it wont support anything else so your turbo smooth was simply collapsed into a horrible horrible mesh.

Otherwise did you try converting it to an editable poly before turbo smoothing?
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe wrote: »
    if you get that make sure that verts aren't broken by selecting them all and welding at 0.0 and also if that doesnt work find the modifier stl check apply it switch it back to editable geometery then apply turbosmoth again.

*edit*

ill be gone for today i have a machinegun range i have to go to so i wont be able to share any more updates till thursday, i have a pretty big update to release on the weapon so stay tuned!

Yeah I think it's because the bits are unwelded. I'll try doing that.
    Shiraz wrote: »
    OBJ is just a mesh so it wont support anything else so your turbo smooth was simply collapsed into a horrible horrible mesh.

Otherwise did you try converting it to an editable poly before turbo smoothing?

Yeah I converted to editable poly, reset xform, tried Meshsmooth and it alwaus looked like that. But I'll try welding.
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    UPDATE

Fixed spring in the charging handle (t handle)
    Updated acog base with proper hole and beveled end
    Updated chamber area and ejection port with the brass deflector

2h5k6sn.jpg

2edt4hy.jpg

n54i1j.jpg

zuio2f.jpg

281fmmc.jpg
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont miss the forward assist :)

1_15_.JPG
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    didnt forget about the forward assist but thank you thats the next thing to model after the magazine release :D
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man I've been watching this thread a while. This is looking badass!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ah dude, waedoe. Haven't seen you in a long time :) Gun is lookin' good.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of specs are you running on your comp? When I loaded your foregrip rails .obj and smoothed it my laptop gave me a warning it would be something like difficult for it to smooth it. After that it was super laggy. Is modeling software about lots of memory? because I only have 1.5 gigs on my laptop here.

Again yes your model is super awesome. I don't see how you get the smoothing so nice, lots of edges I suppose.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Damn man, that high poly is looking really good. I was gonna say it looks like the edges around your Acog Scope may be a bit too soft, but I looked up some reference and yours is basically dead on. I shut myself up. Can't wait to see some updates on this man, comin along nicely so far
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    quick update, just finished the ejection port cover, im creating the front sight tip next then i will be moving on the the forward assist and part of the bolt. I will be releasing this Hi Poly when it is done so you can critique it!

2qivb0m.jpg

wwb6hi.jpg

1zznxgy.jpg

i switched to a clay like render because im having troubles rendering the other way, i know this way doesnt do justice to all the detail so ill be working on my renderin skills :D
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd say these look better than your overly shiny renders
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    waedoo, check out artem's badboy tutorial - http://www.artemstudios.com/08Portfolio/Tutorial/MaterialRenderingTut.htm

awesome material for highres rendering.
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artem's render has been real slow the times ive tried it

i prefer this setup(not my tute)

pistonrodrendertut04is0.jpg