sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Good character!
    Look simple and alive!

I like her!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Just found this and it was pretty funny, but i think it might actually be helpful :). Bit unreliable and the models are far from being pretty but hell it does show a wide variety of shapes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-488236/Trinny-Susannah-reveal-12-womens-body-types--you.html
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    bighoss: cheers dude ^^
    cody: glad someone liked 'em :P gonna have to do a seperate tattoo layer when texturing
    what's_true: cool point man. I'll try and work the shirt off the back muscles a little more (around the upper back and stuff). And threw an extra bevel/loop in
    butt: clay toobs (man i say that about everything :P). Just clay tubes and a little standard brush to push and pull forms out more sometimes (and the smooth brush but everyone uses the smooth brush).
    stimpack: then my work here is done :)
    mat: thanks man. Worked the body/hands some more so hopefully workin bettah
    brodyB: moon pplz ftw :P cheers dude ^^
    sama.van: ^__^
    muzz: lol, next character's gonna have to be a 'brick' :P thanks man

umm... 6738 so far. no ears and hair's gonna take some back and forth, just found out about the maya hair paint fx thing =D
    ugh... uv's :poly127:

also sculpted this dude real quick yesterday. Wanna make him a full character but no idea what to make him into (gave him an earing, didn't really tell me much more :\)

08a.jpg

head12-pic01b1.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aarrrgggg, necro post.
    Anyways, got back from europe a couple o days ago. fixed my comp up and after getting my site all updated and sent off to local places, decided to sculpt for a week or so.

first time 100% handpainting stuff.
    still really early. looking forward to messing with the colours and doing some cool mat setup. Kinda digging the results so far (turns out you just have to use a soft edged brush... >_>)

10a.jpg

fem-runner_button.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    wow been a while dude.. nice to see you pick this back up :D
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :P cheers man. at the rate it's going i expect to be finished this time next year... mebbe :\

got a leetle bit more done on the head... and test marmo shots. Still got the proper ponytail, wrist thingy and courier bag to add on. bag should be fun.

10c.jpg
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really liking this so far. Don't add too much more detail to the clothes (They read very very well). A very nicely done representation on th HP in the LP.

Her face reminds me of the actress who played Marlena in cloverfield (her real name escapes me).
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cool!!
    Yeah diffuse work + slight marmoset skin ramp effect = win !
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Her neck muscles and clavicle look a bit too strong, but the clothes do look amazing, but her boobs are a bit bumpy, the bra wouldn't really cause lumps of fabric on the wife beater.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doomivox: haha, just noticed the resemblence a second ago (think it's the skintones and post processing :P). i was thinking of adding a little wear, fading and a logo mebbe (to the top anyway) ^^

pior: :) cheers man, <3 marmo... now all i need is your painting skillz, is it true if i kill you i become you? :P

zacd: good point, i tried making the shading on there a little weaker but i did oversculpt them a bit. and agreed on some of the smaller boob lump folds >_<

Still got the hands and seams to fix before i'm done with the skin... might be lacking in contrast tho. I was kinda going for somthing like nicolas' stuff. dunno how much of it would be textures, mat setup or post processing, might take some experimenting.
    oh, also threw the diff into the spec, think it'll look better with a proper spec map

10d.jpg

slap_my_ass.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    wow, been waiting for this. looks excellent
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers man, almost there ^^

almost done with the diffuse i think (gotta finish hands, eyes, hair, seams and throw in some minor logos on clothing and mebbe some smaller tatts for interest).

also concepting up a bag (mix between converse bag and that one from mirror's edge so far). not really sure of her character at all anymore, kinda tricky adding more interest to her atm :\

11a.jpg

bag_ref.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Jump into photoshop and just start doodling things onto her, and write down certain personality traits you want her to have. Give her a name, and draw on objects with backstory.

Do some crazy stuff, you can always pull it back to normal afterwards :).

Looks really good so far though :).
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    looks fantastic.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work on the pants, the material is very convincing, love the painting you posted earlier as well, really awesome style. Are we going to be seeing the mech this chick pilots later?

-Woog
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    muzz: cool idea... i actually just tried posing her a leetle in zbrush (transpose + move ftw), seemed to get a lot more character out. might have to rig this one >:{

stimpack: cheers man ^^

woog: haha, thanks dude... yeah nicolas' stuff is always awsome. And i rly gotta change the thread title still :\

been building a bag for her, just making all my base meshes ready for zb sculpting... still got some pockets and straps and other faces to throw on. Also did a little mo on the texture, gotta get the hair done asap.

saw this (click me!) over at cghub as well and been working on the anatomy sculpt and base meshes. Gonna hafta start a new thread, getting the proportions right has been kinda tricky :P

12a.jpg

11c.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    not going to fix the lumpy boobs? you could easily use photoshop to fix those areas.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really? i thought i'd have to resculpt that bit and rebake... unless you mean going over each channel in ps and painting over. hmm, i'll give it a shot, would look cooler :)
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    looks good. should look pretty great with hair.
    (where u been man i havent seen you online in ages?)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    awyhhl.jpg

34opsvq.jpg

all I did was eye drop the main purple and colored over areas to smooth them out,
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looking awesome. Great work on the textures!

I dont think the breasts seem like a major issue btw!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    getting a manface syndrome vibe from last ss
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    while i disagree with "manface syndrome" i think there is something up with the last image that maybe we couldnt see before. take a look at the bags under the eyes poor girl looks exhausted, smooth that area out a bit and it should be workin.

-Woog
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD's way will work, it's quick, but dirty. I wouldn't do it that way for a portfolio piece. Reason being is that that technique won't account for smoothing group shading information and potentially cause unwanted results. Especially on more complex geometry. It's a brushstroke re-export and re-bake for guaranteed good results.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking great! Can't wait to see it finished.

- BoBo
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gar, keep getting discouraged on certain bits that don't go too well and quiting for the day... gotta get more structure in my days i think.

anyways, thinking it might be best to resculpt a couple of areas (skin details, under the eyes to reduce the bags :P, etc). I did try hand painting fixing my normal maps a while ago and yeah, it never seems to work no matter how close you match the original colours >_<

sampson: wakka wakka manz. been in europe for a bit. now i'm enjoying being an unsociable hermit :\

anyway, cheers for the comments guys, definitley helps me move along with this thing. Gotta redo the body of the bag, and my hair attempt yesterday failed horribly, gonna try hand painting again and doing some gradient fill alphas if that makes sense. Eager to do my final maps, take some pics in unreal + marmo and move on :P

13a.jpg

13b.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont forget to fix them seams in zbrush! X-0

I wouldnt go through all that hassle of resculpting anything. If youre like me, youll probably feel the same way after resculpting new shit and realise that it wouldve been better if you just left it where it was in the first place. Everything looks great as is, dont jump back into the pipeline. But thats just me :P
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool - I had missed this until now but this is coming along really nicely! Im looking forward to seeing it finished :)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt: cheers man ^^ Truth be told i'll prolly puss out and just wrap it up as soon as possible :P Is somthing to keep in mind for future speed sculpts tho :)
    and seams are my mortal enemy. zapplink hates me/doesn't work, tho i might be getting photoshop cs4 soon. I hear there's some cool polypainting things in that. Back to colour picking on my psd in the meantime :P

FAT_CAP: thanks dude (really like your heads btw, and the stuff you did on necessary force ^^)

just went back to page 1 and man things have changed a bit. Thinking of throwing in a p90 smg over her other shoulder tho (cheers 8ft spider), and was testing some tatt designs yesterday too :P (i'm procrastinating from doing the uv's on the bag btw :poly122:)
    Wanna move on to the 5s general thing :\

14a.jpg

01a.jpg
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15

01a.jpg

^^^^^^^^ WHAT IS THIS AWESOMENESS YOU HAVE BREWING UP HERE!?! i love the proportions of this guy!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Dude, I havent seen any of your work for a logn time, I'm not sure how I missed this but youve improoved alot from what I remember. Nice job so far man - great to see the improovements too!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    This certainly looks like a thread worth following. I love how your girl looks so proportionally real.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Looking great, man. How are you going to do her hair? Is it like dreads or are you going to use alpha planes in the textures?
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    yea i really like this.. great everythign to be honest :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think the tattoos make the character almost too mirrors edge.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert: haha, cheers man :P Eager (like a beaver) to move on to somthing new and exciting right about now
    Hazardous: ty dude. check back in maybe 5 years, i might almost be at your level now ^^
    OrganizedChaos: cheers :)
    8FtSpider: ty dude. I was gonna go with some gradient style alpha maps but marmo (and i'm guessing unreal) only does the 8 bit pixely kindof alphas, so thinking of changing them to finer strands.
    Razorb: haha, ty dude :poly136:
    ZacD: as if it weren't mirror's edge enough already? :P i do have more planned going up the left arm, like an 'asian' kinda thing, hard to explain, pics should help tommorow

Anyways, bag be ready for texturing. Shoulda taken a couple of hours and ended up taking 2 days so far >_<
    Tommorow = hair working, tatts and logos (incl. bag logo), bag texturing and throwing in some duct tape mebbe... then i can move onto my spec and channels maps and call it a day =D (oh and seams >_>)

14b.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    lookin spectacular man!
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice work. Gotta keep an eye on this thread. Keep it up!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    you tease! you bastard!
    dude, that bag came out kick ass! very clean, very nice!
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    great to see you back and working on her, looking very awesome love how crisp yet soft she looks.. still dont really see any detail in her hands though :P but maybe thats because of camera angle
    liking the proportions for your next character, your gonna do the concept justice i can tell
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ferg: cheers ^^
    ghost-d: :P ty dude
    Firebert: hehe, still not happy with the sculpt but meh, ill scribble all over the diffuse map and hopefully no one will notice how rushed it is :)
    mat: thanks man. Good point on the hands. I can't remember if i went back in and added all the detail i wanted to on them, they kinda look alright from some angles and kinda smoothed mush from others :S

welp, i kinda hit a wall or two. Hair's still turning out like crap. If anyone's got some hair tuts... ^^ (already got that varga hair tut and poop's one from ages ago stuck open on my other monitor :P).
    Also i can't add all the cool tatt and logo details i want with my current texturing method (painting straight on the diff map, warps pretty crazy atm). In the process of upgrading to PS CS4 now, hoping the 3d painting tools will rock mah sockx :poly142:

must... finish... :poly122:

14c.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    This looks great. Very Mirror's Edge vibe to it. I am really loving characters in simple real world clothing lately.

As for the hair, there's not really any secret to it. Start laying down your strokes darkest and largest to lightest and thinnest. This great demo by BoBo helped me a lot: http://www.bobotheseal.com/vids/BoBo_Hair_Demo.swf

Good luck.
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seriously great lookin so far

here's a link to a painting tut I found on vimeo, he uses projection painting in PS: http://vimeo.com/5821890
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    please please let us know how CS treats the polypainting thing.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Really great work!

You could argue over proportions all day long, and I am one of those wierdos who like small heads and big feet :) I thought the proportions in the initial sculpts were a bit more exotic. To me the bend on the forearm might be a little extreme but this is one of the best figures I have seen.

Super stuff!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Careful with those quick assumptions Raiskul, SGC is NOT using any built in photoshop 3d projection tools here, he simply uses DeepPaint 3D to export a screenshot of his model to PS, paint there, and import back to let DP project the texture itself.

As far as I know (and tried) the CS4 Threedee painting stuff is still completely useless, in principle as well as in practice (you really dont need to paint live in 3D - painting on screenshots to be later reprojected is far more efficient)

Good luck!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for the comments guys =D

and yeah, just tried out photoshop cs4 and i gotta say it was kinda cool :P (that might be because i've got nothing to compare it to tho, i've always just painted straight onto the diffuse map).

Basically you import and rotate your mesh around on a layer, then just paint on layers above it and merge them down and you get a seperate texture psd... you can load textures too (adds straight ontop of it) or do photosourcing about 20x easier (than zbrush anyway)... oh and it retains smoothing groups, which i found to be quite awsome :poly142:

pior: as far as i can tell, looks like you have to leave the mesh in a set position before painting and dropping down your paint ontop of it, seems to be fairly similar to the deep paint and zapplink vids i've seen so far (minus the extra apps :P), i'm not really sure tho.

Anyways, i'm still really new to the projection painting thing, but it is pretty fun atm :P if there's any better alternatives i'd love to hear about them. I did look for deep paint after watching vladim's awsome vids but can't find it anywhere locally :(

ninja edit: just found you can load normal maps in too, and there's a bunch of option under render setting like displaying wireframe, flat colour, etc.... fun stuff :P
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Cool stuff. I don't know why, but I'm getting a FreakAngels vibe from her.
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior - hmmm duelly noted and thnx for clearing that up cause im pretty sure he uses either cs2 or cs3 in the vids and I was wondering how he was doing the projections, but aside from that his texturing technique is really usefull.

Nizza_waaarg - can't wait to see the results of ur software upgrade ** :) waits patiently**
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe yeah DP3D is widely underrated, using it the way SGC does is super easy and gives great results!

Loving that pilot still!!! But where's the mech!