Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    100% Grade A Wheels.com

Back on topic:
    The canvas paneling or whatever material it is(sheet metal?) has a bit more complex shape to it, as it is now you just seem to have basically, and edge on either side of the geometry to give it that facected look, but in the ref again, there is this nice subtle flat area with an indent around it on each of those edges that you missed.

This I 100% agree with. And, I even had all that stuff cut in and ready to be tuned. You can see it here in this WIP shot. However, with all my tuning it was either too harsh or too subtle. I was getting caught up on it and not progressing the overall model and designed to allude to the ribs well enough to be read properly, than fight with my mesh for 100% accuracy.

This likely isn't the greatest approach to have and most people shouldn't do this if they're interested in learning. In retrospect sticking it out with that and getting it perfect may have been best. With that said...

I have a principle with these HP models I am trying to stick to: If I am not having fun, I will move on. IMO I won't learn a lot if I am hating what I am doing. I've yet to hate anything and have, for the most part, enjoyed it.

As for the wheels: I would disagree in that its just primitive shapes but I do agree in that its not as romantic as the Blue & Yellow Gee Bee I referred too. The Red & White version was something I stuck to for overall shape as I liked it a LOT more than the Blue & Yellow's longer, less stubby overall shape of the plane. I just didn't like how simple their surface was so the B&Y version was a perfect reference for surface details.

Anyhoo, I'm moving on to my next project. I am thinking an amalgamated version of a Vulcan cannon:

GAU-8_avenger.jpg

M61_Vulcan_Cannon_by_Mydin.jpg

797px-vulcan1.jpg
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I'm just sayin'... 80% is a C-... almost a D... i'm just sayin'

edit: sorry... i would've stopped my nonsense noise post if i hadn't taken five million years to type fragmented sentences and seen your back on topic post
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If it's not a Bald Asian or a Gun rendered in Marmoset EQ gets upset! :'(
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Well just make sure you use the toolbag for this bad boi
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Do the Gau-8 and then build an A-10 around it.