Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GHOSTBUSTERS: Multiplayer art dump

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a few questions for ya.

I notice some hovering geometry (skate park 1st wire shot, lower right, 2nd wire shot base of the stairs) looks like flat planes here and there, are those texture overlays or are they there for other reasons?

The grass in the church, was that modeled in or was that added in post export?

As far as unwrapping goes, where you free to use a mix of tiles and unique unwraps? If so did you have to do anything special inside of 3ds like work within a set of custom shaders, or just work with the standard materials in the editor?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's so special about the Infernal engine that makes it so easy to work with? From what I've been hearing, the workflow isn't shockingly easy or anything. I'd like to hear from someone who's used it extensively, so please: enlighten me!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    MightyPea wrote: »
    What's so special about the Infernal engine that makes it so easy to work with? From what I've been hearing, the workflow isn't shockingly easy or anything. I'd like to hear from someone who's used it extensively, so please: enlighten me!

having to build an entire level in max doesn't sound too good to me.. that sounds like having a pretty frustrating time to me =), max isn't made to be a level editor for a whole bunch of frustrating reasons i don't feel like listing right now.

but anyway, it looks cool! I think the lighting and color compositions could have used some more work though, but maybe thats just me :).
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    really nice work! wish ghostbusters would hurry up and show up on steam...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    MightyPea wrote: »

Our work flow was work in Max, setup the materials, File > Export and its pretty much ready and in the engine. Nothing hard about that! :P Mangled should post about this for you, though.

Vig: Texture overlays. I think they're stains. The grass around the Church was place in the level post-export, within IE. We're able to mix it up to our hearts content in in terms of unique or tiling textures. It was all just standard Max shaders.
  • multivac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice modeling,shame about some of those blurry textures,but thats unavoidable if the main platform is a console:)
    How are the collision surfaces handled?Do you just flag the necessary pieces or create proxies?
    And how about lighting,how much of that is prebaked?
    this twisted architecture in void is something I've always loved...a little homage to Clive Barker's Undying maybe?:D
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The collision is a separate mesh done within Max and exported with the scene. The TRI tools lets you flag said geometry as collision, and what sort of things it will collide with (player, proton beam, ghosts, etc).

Most of our lighting was prebaked, and this is done within Infernal Engine, post-export.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Peris wrote: »
    having to build an entire level in max doesn't sound too good to me.. that sounds like having a pretty frustrating time to me =), max isn't made to be a level editor for a whole bunch of frustrating reasons i don't feel like listing right now.

but anyway, it looks cool! I think the lighting and color compositions could have used some more work though, but maybe thats just me :).

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing, working in max would not be fun at all if i were to build a level.

great work on everything adam :thumbup:
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I've work with Source, Unreal and idTech while at Threewave. Working in Max is no different from any thing else. Hell, we even blocked things out with BSP inside of Infernal. We still built with modular pieces when needed, still had organized material groups, layer groups, etc. Learn to love the snap-to-grid as you would inside of your favourite engine/tool and its fine.

If you're organized, its fine. If you're a cluster fuck inside of Max, I can understand.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Adam, I don't know if this was asked but how long did you usually get from start to finish for these levels?

Really awesome work, and congrats.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work Adam, the multiplayer levels certainly turned out great.

I wish we could post the concepts, orignal levels, and textures these levels were built from, not sure if we have the go-ahead yet though.
  • Keith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stuff looks awesome dude, you guys really did a bad ass job.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    adamBrome wrote: »
    I've work with Source, Unreal and idTech while at Threewave. Working in Max is no different from any thing else. Hell, we even blocked things out with BSP inside of Infernal. We still built with modular pieces when needed, still had organized material groups, layer groups, etc. Learn to love the snap-to-grid as you would inside of your favourite engine/tool and its fine.

If you're organized, its fine. If you're a cluster fuck inside of Max, I can understand.

I have worked with all those as well, and yeah i'm not saying it's impossible to do it in max. But all the hassle and organising you need to do for it wouldn't be required in a proper level editor =). I have worked on entire environments in max before and found the orbiting cameras/crappy face selection/slow fps/various crashes very frustrating for this kind of work. Give me a nice clean editor where i throw put my stuff together, play with lighting, scripting etc and that shows me realtime how everything will look in the game! Is it possible to work like that in infernal?
  • Spaceprincess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work Adam. You always make it look easy *wink*
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    I have worked with all those as well, and yeah i'm not saying it's impossible to do it in max. But all the hassle and organising you need to do for it wouldn't be required in a proper level editor =). I have worked on entire environments in max before and found the orbiting cameras/crappy face selection/slow fps/various crashes very frustrating for this kind of work. Give me a nice clean editor where i throw put my stuff together, play with lighting, scripting etc and that shows me realtime how everything will look in the game! Is it possible to work like that in infernal?

Yes it totally is :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Oh yeah, definitely is possible! We just chose it this way. I think TRI worked as you prefer.

Who uses orbital cameras when there's a first person camera in Max? :P It's my experience that setting up 1 multi-sub material and proper Layers in Max doesn't take that much time. Shouldn't take long to work in an organized fashion. I should also mention I don't prefer one approach over the other, but did find working straight in Max to be fun and refreshing.

To be fair, we had just come off another project that we had to work in Max a lot for so we used that approach for this project too.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Sandbag wrote: »
    Nice work Adam, the multiplayer levels certainly turned out great.

I wish we could post the concepts, orignal levels, and textures these levels were built from, not sure if we have the go-ahead yet though.

THat would be awesome. Even I haven't seen the SP stuff in about a YEAR.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Oh yeah, definitely is possible! We just chose it this way. I think TRI worked as you prefer.

Who uses orbital cameras when there's a first person camera in Max? :P It's my experience that setting up 1 multi-sub material and proper Layers in Max doesn't take that much time. Shouldn't take long to work in an organized fashion. I should also mention I don't prefer one approach over the other, but did find working straight in Max to be fun and refreshing.

To be fair, we had just come off another project that we had to work in Max a lot for so we used that approach for this project too.

fair enough =), good to hear there's different approaches possible in the engine! But the first person camera in max is kinda sucky though :D
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    What!? No way dude! Drop your FOV to 90 and fly thru as if it were a shooter. I love it!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have worked on entire environments in max before and found the orbiting cameras/crappy face selection/slow fps/various crashes very frustrating for this kind of work.
    I could see the first one as deal breaker if it wasn't for Walk Through Mode. I have it bound to Shift-C or click the little foot prints in the lower right corner to toggle it on. It behaves just like the camera in Hammer.
    LMB = mouse look
    RMB = exit
    WASD = forward, back, left, right, just like a FPS.
    [ ] = increase/decrease step size (speed, adjust it while moving)

So to nav some place you can either fly there, or click a object and hit shift-z to center the viewport on it and then enter walk through and fly around.

The rest there are half a dozen different ways to improve but really with the addition of walk through mode its a big bag of win.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    levels looking super sexy adam.

so i loved working on GB's multiplayer. and i was really lucky to be able to scribble down some multiplayer prop ideas when the time arose.

these are some of the sketches that showed the process of asset creation and some of the fun stuff we ran into. all i can show are the stuff that made it to the shipped title but there is a pretty good amount of that stuff

i was placed in that position for a time to get things done quick and get everyone's ideas flowing. so love em or hate em, here's some sketches!

the destruction portal:

this was the thing that puked out ghosts during the destruction game type.

an earlier shot at it with a nazi ghost buster for scale...

portal_01.jpg

then a broken up look of the same idea...
    portal_xtra.jpg

busted up a few variations of the thing...
    portal_02.jpg

figured most of what we wanted by this guy...
    portal_04.jpg

and put him together for dakkon to model up easy peasy
    portal_05.jpg

the power up spawner:

this was the thing that was going to generate the power ups. this guy went through alot of rapid changes and development. heres a few pictures of the process.

an early attempt at canisters and placement on the players...
    spawner_02.jpg

another quick pile of examples of canister shapes.
    spawner_01.jpg

closer to the final canister...
    spawner_03.jpg

the first couple ideas on how the canisters would spawn in the level. a pressure cooker style and a ammunition dispenser style idea.
    spawner_04.jpg

thinking the first ideas were dumb we started adding stuff like coathangers and crude teleportation...
    spawner_xtra.jpg

a team favorite was when we started building the thing out of a microwave...
    spawner_05.jpg
    spawner_06.jpg

the microwave was a cool idea but we needed to squish it so you could walk over the thing properly.
    spawner_07.jpg

closer too the final item spawner...
    spawner_08.jpg
    spawner_08.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    the pylon:
    this guy was made up for the protection game type. something that the ghostbusters protect while it sets up.

so fisrt there was a quick slew of rough ideas...
    pylon_01.jpg

pylon_02.jpg
    pylon_03.jpg
    pylon_04.jpg
    pylon_05.jpg

then we started playing around with the idea of a beer keg...
    pylon_06.jpg

a little further along:
    pylon_07.jpg

then we jumped back to an earlier idea... (the first one of course ;P)
    pylon_08.jpg

some ideas of deployment animation...
    pylon_09.jpg

and another idea of scale (vs. ghost pirate)
    pylon_10.jpg

power ups:

these were a blast to think up. a few ideas didnt make it in but heres what did along with a rough earlier sketch of them.

the proton accelerator: makes your main beam super powerful. the final result has a different top to it.
    pup_04.jpg

the ghost shrinker: stayed pretty much the same level through development.
    pup_02.jpg

the stunner: dazes all the ghosts at once, made from a tuning fork and some other things.
    pup_01.jpg

the shield generator: protects the player from a few attacks.
    pup_03.jpg

the thief object.

this is the items you need to stop the thieving ghosts from stealing. really artifacty looking. another one built by dakkon.
    thiefobj.jpg

so i know these aint winning any beauty contests but they show some process and evolution. i had a huge blast jumping from ui integration, to asset building, to texture painting, to concept. it kept me on my toes and never bored.

i hope you dig a small slice of the multi-player concept roughs, this was my first title to be shipped as well so i am super stoked about it.

much love to my brothers at threewave and to the champs at TRI
    thanks all.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome concepts jouste!! I love how everything is made from repurposed junk, I bet it was tons of fun trying to come up will cool combinations of items to make all the different gadgets. The keg pylon is probably my favorite of the designs.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff guys, I'll see if we can post some TRI stuff too.
  • spetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    Great concepts jouste, I like the fact that you guys explored man different variations of the equipment. Protection is one of my favorite game types. Adam, great job with the MP maps especially twisted stacks. I'm on my way home to check out the MP right now. later -S
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I wait in anticipation for some of TRI's stuff.
  • Graff Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE! with a capital ICE, I never saw any of this stuff. thanks for sharing
    adam wrote: »
    I wait in anticipation for some of TRI's stuff.

perhaps tomarrow :)
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    jouste thats cool. thanks for sharing :thumbup:
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    grats to both of you guys, adam those enviros look awesome! and infernal sounds amazing, i was looking on the site about it and it does seem very artist friendly, and im all about working as much as i can in max. and joust those concepts are absolutly fabulous! i can see why the microwaze was a team fav >_< and adam, how was the scale, what grid size did you work with
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    holy shit those concepts are awesome, love how loose and flowy they are. totally GB in their construction too.

nice work on the levels as well Adam, great breakdowns.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    adam wrote: »

Fun note of interest #2: No second UV's needed for lightmaps! So awesome! All we had to do was select
    the meshes we'd like lightmapped and flag it as such! Literally! So fucking fast compared to other... engines.
    omg. So jealous of this hahaha. I hate light maps.

Looks great man good stuff! Both of you! Grats!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    This thread keeps getting better. Indeed, I want this game!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great share guys! :) and a big congrats on shipping Ghostbusters. Looks like tremendous amount of skill and teamwork went into this game and it shows.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    This may have been asked, i didnt read all responses....

In some of the levels. specifically the first two posted. Things seem rather chunky lowpoly looking. From the looks of the wire frame, you guys did a great job of poly conservation. So why didnt you spend more tri's to round things out a bit more? Infernal engine a bit more limited on tri counts? Bad portaling?

I still think these look fantastic. We had the game at the studio this morning. Watched some folks play it at lunch. Ima buy it soon!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    adam, those environments are so killer! seeing the rooftop made me want to immediately go buy this thing. the lighting in the first image is so great and all the different worlds you guys brought to life are so original and true to the ghostbusters style!

jouste, omf! those are some awesome design concepts! i've always loved your drawings... this stuff i could just stair at all day long!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    stimpack, in some cases we'd spend the tri's on the corners, in some cases we wouldn't. There was never a rule for us on our end for that sort of decision. If it looked good in the game, thats what mattered.

I suppose its worth a mention, I *believe* the average triangle count for the maps is in the 200,000 region. I *think*. But, that said, I think Basement Stacks (the first one posted) is in the 90k region, I can't remember its been nearly a year.

EDIT: One more word in asterisk's for good measure. *boobs*
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste, those are awesome thanks for sharing =)

I watched a coworker play it yesterday, looks like a lot of fun. I liked all the little touches like, being able to talk to the painting, listening to the answering machine and wow they recorded a lot of dialog...
  • Stoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all! I'm one of the concept artists at Threewave that worked on the multiplayer stuff with Adam. Here's some of the concepts that I did for the game.

**Note: Sandbag had mentioned that there is some single player content in these concepts. It never occured to me to necessarily mention it as being a concept artist, sometimes you take photos and mash em into your concepts to convey the quickest possible visual message and to deliver that within an efficient time range. i.e. spending 2 hours meticulously painting grass rather than spending that 2 hours being creative elsewhere. Because Ghostbusters multiplayer is based on single player, it was expected that we'd use single player assets in the multiplayer maps for several different reasons. So below unless mentioned otherwise, the concepts below are of varying combinations of painting from scratch, photos, and single player imagery. If stated, then it's a paintover that's probably about 70 to 80% single player imagery.

cemetery%20altar%20concept_02_sml.jpg

cemetery%20concept_01_sml.jpg

gb_rotunda_02_hallway_flat.jpg
    paintover based on single player level

gb_rotunda_04_infodesk.jpg
    paintover based on single player level

Ghost%20Realm.jpg

li_1b_stu%202.jpg

library%20basement%20concept%2002.jpg

library%20reading%20room%20concept%2001.jpg
    paintover based on single player level (which is the actual NYC library)

library%20twisted%20stacks%20concept%2001.jpg

lost%20island%20concept%2001.jpg

lost%20island%20tri_01_stu.jpg

lost%20island%20tri_05_stu.jpg

office%20concept%2004.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet concepts! love it, very nice work.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Thx for answering adam. Again, games looking great, just wish a few more tri's were tossed at smoothing out things here and there =)

Those concepts are really fun!! great work.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE guys! I wish I would have seen these while we were still workin on it. Very inspiring.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    When are you TRI boys going to get your shit in here? That is the question.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to take away from the effort put in to these, but maybe you should be crediting the levels and concepts that these are based on and painted over?

The work is great, no doubt, but these weren't exactly done from scratch...I have to feel a little offended for the hard work of our own concept artists and env artists.

I look forward to contributing to the thread as soon as I get the official go-ahead from 'upstairs!'
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Majority of the concepts are painted over the work we did on our maps, not singleplayer. And for the MP levels, its already been mentioned in -every- image of mine that work was used from the single player game whenever necessary.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enough of them were from our material, I think it's always good practice to say exactly what you worked on and give credit to those that contributed.

Not just "some was by" but "I did this _____, I did not do ______" has always been my understanding of what is ethical and polite.
  • StolenPants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Work guys i really love those concepts and sets! I really look forward to playing in these levels. I'm looking forward to the go ahead to post some images as well, thanks for the eye candy doods!
  • Stoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag wrote: »
    enough of them were from our material, I think it's always good practice to say exactly what you worked on and give credit to those that contributed.

Not just "some was by" but "I did this _____, I did not do ______" has always been my understanding of what is ethical and polite.

Yeah you're correcto. I'll edit the original concept post I did to reflect what you mentioned.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    weird I didn't know jouste was at threewave, great stuff, love the "ghost pirate" for scale
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yea man, JT's always doing awesome stuff like that in his concepts. It's his little touches he does that are one of the things I miss the most about those guys.

Sandbag, I think enough credit was given all around and whenever someone asks me about them IRL, where I can easily point things out, I tell them who's responsible for what. I'm glad Stoo could clarify about the concepts, I thought they were 100% worked over top of our levels but I guess I was wrong! :) When're you going to post the stuff you did!? I wanna see!
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the clarification Stoo! Like I said, dont wanna sound harsh or anything, the work is great, for sure, I guess I'm just a stickler about always saying exactly what I do...it's definitely tricky when it's a big project like this and everyone had a hand on everything, but a little bit of text goes a long way you know?

I'm waiting for official confirmation that I can post stuff from "the man", though a bunch of my work is in the shots Graff posted.