Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: wake

Replies

• wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Here's a progress shot on a new piece. Zero reference on this one so I'm interested to see how well I can pull through and finish. I'm pretty happy with the structure-- obviously it still needs work but the foundation is there.

chancellor2.jpg
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting new piece , but for some reason his right eye (the eye on the left) looks strange to me. Is he gooin be in some kind of spacesuit? the piece on his neck makes me think htat
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I think this is about as far as I'm going to get on this one without reference. It's a good benchmark for what I can conjure up on the face, so I'll definitely be looking back at this one for comparison's sake.

I did try to do a color version, but it was a complete trainwreck-- If I'm going to paint in color it has to be right from the start.

It's back to basics for me though. If you need to find me, I'll be poring over Bridgeman and Loomis :)

chancellor4.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Did some quick doodles to illustrate a concept over on a thread in P&P. Yes it is meant to be in the ME universe. I need to do more of these as it's definitely a weak spot in my range, but it was fun so that shouldn't be a problem.

coneptfemchar4.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    aaaaaand back!

Other projects and things have meant that I haven't had as much time for paints and posting as I would've liked, but things should be better now for a while. I also have some websites and things I'll be posting up here once I finish them up, but in the mean time, here are some ~30 minute speed paints. Tryin to do at least one of these every day in addition to working on everything else.

male1b.jpg

male2c.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    hourish... little longer probably.

female1b.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    ~45 minutes, listening to Amon Tobin:

female2b.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    fun on the concept tag thread.

~25 minutes

erikpaintover2.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I took a few hours on this anatomy study-- the minutiae of the back have always given me problems, as well as butts, hence the pose here. To help this I need to spend more time on musculature charts as well, though those can get tedious.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it, and overall this has been a relatively productive day.

femanat2.JPG
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    great study man, that came out really nice
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    thanks bounchfx-- i'm finally at a point where i can see the body as a whole rather than do a study that's just a collection of parts, if that makes sense. That last one's not perfect, but it's at a level where i don't mind other people seeing it :D many of my studies are secreted away in secret places where they'll never be seen.

Not much to put down for today, just progress on a new mugshot for my 40k style thread. This one's about an hourish in; the mouth and chin are still a hot mess, but that'll have to wait for tomorrow.

john2.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I WILL finish that lantern-gentleman at some point, but for now, SKULLS! (WIP)

skully1.jpg

I'm actually pretty pissed about this-- not the drawing, but the fact that i was recording the whole time so that i could go back and review my workflow. Of course CanStudio would create a 2 gig file that for some reason is unreadable / unopenable. It's not enough to screw up the recording, but it also has to take a 2 gig sized dump on my desktop. *sigh*
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    recordings work now :D

took waaaay too long to get all that shit setup and working properly, but I have now.

Here's the first 45 minutes of a 3/4s study, 2nd half to come:

skull3quarter2.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    a little more than 45 minutes on this :D

skull3quarter4.JPG
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I realized that I hadn't tried my hand at a self-portrait in a while, so here's my latest go. I think it's recognizably me, but now that I've had some time to look at it there's definitely some small things that should be changed-- may give it another pass when I'm not quite so tired.

Also, lately I've started recording my painting sessions to review and help refine my technique, so I think I'll start posting those for your perusal as well (should have the links up tomorrow-- again the tired thing :) )

And redpanda, wherever you are, I don't know how you do it with pencils and charcoal. I spent some time today trying this same exercise using traditional media and it was a train wreck. S'pose that means I need to practice working with them more :D -- Painter IX makes me lazy when I can infinitely erase and paint over.

Anyway, here's the image (~3 hours i think), and I should have the timelapse videos up tomorrow.

2011march2.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Havin a little trouble with those videos-- I swear I will get them posted...

In the mean time, here's a WIP; it started as just a 30 minute paintover from the concept tag thread but now it's becoming something much, much bigger. The self-portrait illustration turned out to be good practice for this next one.

~4 hours in

p3.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    ok-- here are those videos finally. Next step will be to get some video editing software that's actually useful...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvEf2UKe6U]part 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaETbHHvdbU]part 2[/ame]
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    love it! really excellent stuff lately man. and I like the idea of you recording while doing arts.. do it more often.. ;)
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    So this started as a small piece based in the Concept Tag thread over in p&p, but I liked it enough to keep working on it and adding more, until it become the glorious train-wreck that it is now.

Technically speaking, it's a pretty bad piece-- composition, readability, color, flow-- none of these are what they should be, yet working on this piece made a lot of things click for me. I'm finally loosening up more, and more importantly I'm getting more comfortable with inventing form instead of working from direct reference.

Now if I can only get an entire painting to look as good as that armor plate covering the thigh...

urbanconflict.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I think I went too dark on this one but had fun working with the lights. It really just comes down to the fact that I need to work more on full scene pieces.

AHA! Sorry about this, got it all fixed.

urbconf2.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Fix the image! :(
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along nicely wake. Good work, and keep it up.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    wake wrote: »

2dresser.jpg

wow man... just wow - deff my fav piece iv seen in a loooooong time

guess i got myself a new artist to keep an eye on :thumbup:
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    thanks candystripes, that means a lot.

Right now I'm working on a piece that takes a lot of nods from ashley wood's work. After some suggestions i may go back in and repaint the bot to give the piece a more dynamic angle instead of the stiff side profile. For some reason I'm always attracted to those kind of angles though, like a moth to flame...

anyway--

irontake2.jpg
  • smilbeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow cool stuff you got here man, awesome portraitures. :)
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    thanks smilbeard, gotta keep on truckin

here's the next iteration:

ironS12.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    finally back at my apartment and done with the slew of weddings that have been going on the last several weeks. Anyway, the faux comic cover is still in the works but I needed a break from it so i popped this one out. I think the animal incorporation is something i'll keep working with on later pieces.

it's been a long time since i've been back to this thread-- while I'm still going to do b&w high contrast portraits in the future, it'll be easier to keep this thread up to date with some more range. Right now I'm playing around with styles for massive armor sets, trying something more organic or animal. I love the concept of animal totems, so i'll keep incorporating that idea into these large armor pieces.  Anyway, here it is-- crits welcome as alwaysdoodle2clr.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    wip on the next one--

rhino3.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    haha, i can't tell if it's a rhino with a human head on its armor or the other way around. Regardless, these last two are really great.

As far as design goes, the shark armor is a bit confusing given all of the different design lines. You go from these nice sloping arcs up top and then once you move downward you've got these crazy, swirling wave lines and then straight pipes in the back. It makes for an interesting combination I'm just not sure how well they'll work together in the long run.

I'd definitely love to see more of this stuff though. Very cool vibe.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    @suburbbum-- some good points, and thanks. I think the idea with these animal pieces is to combine organic styling with heavy mechanical bits, and then overlay that tattooing and other specifically ornamental elements, like the masks in the back (though i didn't really render those ones out). My thoughts on these suits is that like medieval plate armor there's always going to be a certain bespoke quality; multiple people might possess rhino suits, but each suit would be unique just as each animal would be, and on top of that the wearer would adorn the 'skin' of the suit in various tattoos, sigils, and wards. I'm going to try and render these ideas out more thoroughly in this next piece.

Speaking of which:

rhino6.jpg
  • isso09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work dude, keep going! One thing I'd suggest for learning form is buying one cast - it could be of anything (hand, eye, nose, w/e). Set it up in the corner of your room with one light source and have no one touch it. Make sure there is a minimal amount of bounce light on it. Study that for 3 hours every night for 2 weeks. Put every pixel of value exactly where it needs to be to make the light correct. (Refer to the bargue book to see how that's done) Make sure you look at it from the exact same spot every time by marking the edges of your cast on the wall with tape. Good luck!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Very inspiring stuff man, subscribed!
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    @isso09-- yeah I should spend more time eating my vegetables and doing proper still lives, I'll start posting them when I finish this last slew of wips.
    @ebagg-- cheers!

next iteration on the Rhino suit; time spent more on changing the details a little and just cleaning up/refining. One more round and it should be ready for the tattoos and color, so stay tuned :D

rhino7.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I'm still workin on the rhino-- I'll be posting more of it later-- in the mean time here's an early walking animation for a character in an iOS game I'm working on. It's been a while since I've done any 2d animation so it's taking a bit to get back in the swing of things, but boy is this fun.

For now the hip rotation is only in on the first half of the animation (you can see how the belt-loops only cycle for part of it) but i'll be fixing all that and cleaning the whole thing up. Otherwise, c&c always welcome.

fatmananim1testset.gif
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    almost ready to color. Also i need to stop changing the design right in the middle of rendering... this is why things take too long.
    rhino10B.JPG
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    that detailing on the head is sexy great work so far
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    thanks gibson. I'm out of town this weekend but have more progress to post when I get back-- I'm nearly finished with the value study, all i have left is to finish the far foot and it's ready for color. I'm actually getting a bit excited about this one :D
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    Nice work. very inspiring as wall. thanks for sharing.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Tim. Here at last is the finished b&w render-- now I can finally take the time to put down the color, so we'll see how it goes.

rhinoBW.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    So my old university profs invited me to give a talk on digital rendering and my experiences since college to the current students, and the tradition for the sort of thing is for the speaker to design their own poster. I went through about 6 different ideas and finally settled on doing an amalgam of a few of my favorite portraits. I actually got the idea from the Truman Show, a movie that I very much enjoyed. There's text obviously, but I've removed it as it would just get in the way here.

I'm interested to see what you guys think:

NDtalkPoster1C.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    definitely one of my favorite pieces that you have made
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Well done man. Why not record the talk and show it to us too? :) I would be super glad to know more of what is in that head of yours :) ( i know this probably would not be so easy).
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys-- if it's manageable I'll record it, hadn't thought of that. In the mean time I'm off to go backpacking, so I'll be off grid for two weeks. Don't go anywhere :D
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I'll still be a ghost (at least for a while) but now that I'm finally in asset production instead of doing things like meetings and paperwork I'll start having things worth posting.

The project's too early on in development to talk about details or get it's own thread-- all I'll say is that it's a 16x16 tile coop combat game. Really fun to make assets for this.

KnightRedHorizontal1BIG.gif
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    where do you get your reference pictures for faces?
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    frell wrote: »
    where do you get your reference pictures for faces?

The Internet.

Cool stuff wake
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    hahahah Sayanora is right, but to share a dirty little secret http://www.thesartorialist.com/ is probably my most productive source of human reference.

@Sayanora-- cheers man
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    little man runs with purpose

forwardrun2.gif

It's a good thing I really enjoy doing these animations because it gets a bit arduous once you start adding in all the modular assets i've got planned. In addition to this plate armor there will be at least 2 other character armors, each requiring 32 frames of running animation and about another 48 frames worth of combat animations, as well as the weapons themselves of which I've done 5 so far.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    4 months huh? Didn't realize it'd been that long...

Anyway, here's a new one I'm working on-- I'm trying to get a little more sophisticated with the angles I illustrate as well as see what I can do without reference, like with this piece.

soldierbear.jpg
  • Sako
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff, Wake!