Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - mrkite

Replies

• Abe_hokage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, nealry gave up the competition there...after coolign down, will just try harder :)

great sculpt and idea man!
  • Sir Gimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Gimp polycounter lvl 17
    A crown of horns?
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Design..:poly142:
    Looking forward for progress :)
  • herekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    herekitty polycounter lvl 17
    This character really is amazing. Everything sculpted just seems to work. I find that I am torn on the horns as well. In one way, the character reminds me of a giger painting, where there is always something to look at and everything seems unique and interesting. On the other hand, I still think the "bald" version of the character is the strongest because I can focus on those teeth!
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Man I could just see this guy shambling along on two legs just as easily as dropping down to all 4 and tearing up turf. Beautifully terrifying piece!
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    lookin good man! i dig the horns. they have a cool shape, i like the melting feel of them. stick some candles on there, aaaaaaand done. :)
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    this is lovely work Andy!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I personally really like the horns, it makes him look... Kingly? dunno the right word but without it it makes him look like he is missing something. otherwise, great work!
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    stellar update mrkite the forms and detail work so well together and the design of the armour is just so fitting to his character. personally i think that the horns work, its just the angle that is a bit off maybe. perhaps tilt them backwards bout 20 degrees or so and that there is no transitioning to the head or a crown piece. as gwot said he totally looks like he could just drop on all 4s and charge but with the horns how they are atm it could be awkward seeing it like that. just my thoughts. it would be equally as terrifying to see this thing with a powdered wig though and some frilly pieces of cloth too
    killer work though always an inspiration
  • bilbana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bilbana polycounter lvl 17
    Real classy sculpt. nicely balanced and detailed with taste. Bravo!
    Keep the horns
  • tdchiu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tdchiu polycounter lvl 14
    Woooooooow. Great to see your stuff everytime. I hope you finish this year and make it to top 10. Keep up the great work.

-tchiu

p.s. Is your website getting close to launch?
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    Figured my first post on this forum should be to MrKite :)

Thrilled you're in on this contest... Seen some damn fine work in the past and this is already off on the right foot. Horns - heh... I was wondering how many people would have demons with horns and red eyes :) Needless to say though, it's good to see you've given a twist (and a half) to turn it into something that bit different. I think at first, it reminded me of the Forest Spirit from Princess Mononoke, but that vertical mouth is really something else!
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no updates... :( .... lazy boy
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    iatriki, how do you think, mister, if he was lazyboy he could get those skills?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    magic

he's a wizard, i know it
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Stunning work Andy! The pose and his gaze are absolutely lovely. Out of curiosity - how many polies is your highres? Needless to say, I'm also longing for an update. This guy is definitely one of my favourites. Keep it up!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIZARDS!...damn it now nobody is safe!
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    r4ptur3 - thanks r4ptur3, his lower body is going to be much longer and more imposing now, still working it out a bit
    sectaurs - cheers sectaurs i did try a wig but seemed a bit too 'earthly' if you get me. So been trying different shapes over his head and semi settled on a more abstract square shape
    foreverending - cheers foreverending! your entry is so good. Still up in the air with the colour scheme, think he'll be pearly/fleshy white with subtle yellows and greens in the skin, robes will be a very shocking bright colour, maybe red yellow or pink. They're supposed to be flayed human skin or maybe the hide of some demonic creature that has been dyed.
    Cold - hehe cheers cold! still get stuck on anatomy every day
    Mezz - thanks mezz i've done several head versions keep coing back to the horns, i think they work better with this iteration of the design. not settled though :P
    Gav - thanks gav!
    konstruct - cheers konstruct
    Parnell - thanks brian, yeah i think its all in the pose really
    Benny350 - cheers benny, trying some different stuff up top
    Goon - cheers Goon!
    Nkoste - thanks nkoste!
    gavku - thanks gavku
    nikudy - yeah i think that design works better, he was getting abit too brutal though and i want him to be very regal and scary. so some sort of headdress is needed. Sticking with the bare shoulders in the end, i kept working the armour in until it vanished, thanks for the suggestion!
    hhobodactyl - thanks hobo, i think its the height they give him, wig has become a blunt abstracted box. with an eye!
    abe_hokage - thanks Abe!
    sirgimp - yeah that's a good idea. Maybe wig could be combined with horns, the horns are made of hair greased into shape. gross!
    Gaganjain - thanks gan!
    herekitty - thanks herekitty
    gwot - thanks gwot, he's lost a bit of the brutishness but think he looks a bit smarter and more wicked now
    onelung - thanks man!
    thatdon - cheers don!
    shrew81 - thanks shrew81
    mat - cheers mat, i kept fiddling with the horns, still not quite there
    bilbana - thanks bilbana
    tdchui - thanks tdchui! no, still held up on the site, never seem to find the time to finish it
    whw - cheers man
    iatriki - hehe no been working, just not been happy with it until now. :)
    conte - haha cheers conte
    sectaurs- all been done with a bionic pencil
    Peppi - cheers Peppi! the highres from that pic is about 4 million or thereabouts though the sculpt is quite blobby to look at it. he's about 6 million at the moment so not mega high. Still haven't seen your thread, i was so loooking forward to it :(
    woogity - wizrds!

hkupdate2.jpg
    pfui.jpg

thanks everyone!
    been working on this quietly but had a bad case of infinite concept possibility syndrome. Tried several different approaches to his armour (even briefly turned him into a steampunk ww1ish trench demon) before ditching it all, going with a more kingly looking ruffs/gasbag idea. I've had a great deal of difficulty with the big mouth splitting his body in two, doesn't play nice with costume really, also theming his props, i'd like everything to have a vaguely organic look. lower body is secret!

Also this is an awesome link: http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/collection_database/listview.aspx?page=1&sort=0&sortdir=asc&keyword=&fp=1&dd1=8&dd2=0&vw=1

edit: added a paintover
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    my morning coffee churned over when i opened this! ohhhhhhhh man this is wicked! i can see how you are getting stuck in your infinite concept possibility syndrome. I really like the idea of the box head, but the first one that fills the space in the gaps, I'm so so about. The one at the bottom with no eyes and the filled in are with the Pan's style eyeball added, it works pretty good too. I can't say yay or nay on any of these, they all just rock and i know you'll make a good choice no matter what.

The blood cap, is AWESOME. I love the furls going into his jawline. I can just picture this thing inflating and deflating. Your overall texturing at this point is really nice and organic. I agree that you will have great success here if it is all kept at an extremely organic level, including the weapons and armor now that you've added in the blood cape. Before I would have said to go for a nice mix between organic and hard surface, but this cape damn owns it from a pure aesthetic perspective that adding armor would make him feel like a warrior and not a demon prince/king.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Wins!!

Is that a tongue cape? yikes!! And how the heck did you do those frills?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh. That's just. Damn. Yeah.

BTW, that last version with no regular eyes and an eye in his forehead looks pretty damn good to me. Seems devious.
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap!....
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    man your updates keep me motivated....fuken ace!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, very fun!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    just wow ! I demand (once again) a online portfolio at least after the comp ^^

Keep rockin' :)
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Holy cow !

It's just amazing, all these details on the skin.
    Keep up the excellent work.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    he is kinda 70level art wizard
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    very win kite ! fantastic execution and I think its feeling more mature less comic than it did in its earlier incarnation which feels more appropriate since the character has started making me think of angry vagina's :D
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    i fucking quit

amazing kite... what can i say
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Holy Great Chicken, thats some bad ass work. Looking good, plz finish this :)
  • bilbana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bilbana polycounter lvl 17
    What the hell!?? Eye in block forehead and meat cape. Very interesting.
    Love the beautiful details, skinfolds etc.
    And the costume site is nice, thanks for sharing
  • Aldarius TD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic sculpt! And interesting collar on his body,but somewere i already saw that detail =)
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Good Lord this is cool. The work that you have done on the skin is, in my opinion, perfection. The tones on the hands are great. Really no critiques from me, nothing to add to already top-notch work :)

Keep the updates coming kite it looks like you are zeroing in on your direction for this piece
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    wicked f'n cool. =)

Looking forward to whatever direction you go with this.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    inspiration +1 DEEAAAAAAAAMmmmnnn
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Holy hell!! Incredible. I'm totally disturbed and in a good way. :) Has to be top 3 if it doesn't win the whole damn thing.
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    awesome, cant wait to see what you have cooking for the lower half
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    ditto MoP ON THE singular forehead eye one. Everything flows into that chest cavity really nicely. Pumped full of inspiration again. Looking forward to it!
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Tongue cape? Lookin good
    I'm not sure if I'm feeling the huge hump of it, but I have to say I like the move away from conventional armor. The color pass is nice too. The bottom can't be a secret for long!!;)
    B
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Holy crap, that is supremely creepy. Just like, good god, that thing is creeping me right out. Amazing work, man, incredibly imaginative, and well executed.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    this is rad!

i want to see a skirt made out of his intestines..or just what ever you come up with, because i am sure it will be cool..

reminds me of something i would see in del toro film.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    yeah it does look a bit like benicio del toro
  • FeralGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy cow indeed!

i love this... horrible and alien, a real terror

reminds me of some of barlowe's inferno stuff but is in no way derivative of any of his creatures from that series... just has that same alien malevolence

it's quite good
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Why do you rule so much?
  • Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    Very original, man! The tongue cape looks like it has some crazy nasty potential as you shape out the rest of the char..

I'm dittoing most everyone else.. that last image is my favorite. Although, picturing that last one with the square head (visible from the side or back.. can't see it in the provided front on view), I'm not 100% that the square head shape would work...

I think there's an armadillo outside my office window... *grabs flashlight*
  • nikudy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nikudy polycounter lvl 13
    great update. just like many others already said, it remind me of del toro monsters( which is cool, i think his monsters are some of the most imaginative ones ).
    i like the new feel but just like somebody else pointed earlier, the cape seems just inflated, unnatural . there is no sign of the volumes underneath it.
    also, that eye in the middle of his forehead seems nice, but some bone structure or some other anatomical details might help. right now is just seems planted there and he would have a really limited field of vision.
    the modeling on the hands and that color pass look great.
    -claudiu
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    wow... i like the colors...
    but whats this red thingy on his back..? dont like it...

please some closeups... there is so much cool detail....
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with the del toro comment. film quality character design and execution.
  • Cold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you are trying to do, you want a bigger mightier presence, and I think its time for some "out of the box" pin-pointers, while you craft away in the box:P

hope it gives you some new angles
    some-outofbox-ideas.jpg