Home Contests & Challenges Archives

>>>> DOM WAR IV - MAIN EVENT - RULES <<<< Update, deadline extension.

Replies

• konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    soooooo- anyone else think theres going to be a deadline extension? does anyone remember what has been done in past years? how long were the extensions usually?

I don't know about you fellers, but 2 weeks extra would make aaaaaall the difference in the world.

-sorry c023dev, I dont know much about sub surface shaders, but I imagine if its a shader that you can do in a real time engine its all gravy as this is a game art comp.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    A jetpack (or similar movement-enhancing equipment) wouldn't be considered a vehicle would it? I'd assume they mostly meant no cars/tanks/boats/etc and a jetpack or rollerskates would be fine, but I just wanted to check before I go too far along on making one.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I was wondering about the part where you represent the forum you're competing for. We're supposed to use the smiley logo, right? Does it have to look exactly like the one used in the forums or can it be different?
    I'm also a little confused about the colors. Are polycounts colors green and black? And is it a requirement to have green and black on the character?

Also- how noticable does this need to be? I've been looking at other characters to try to understand how it all fits but it seems to go from one extreme to another. I just don't want to be disqualified for something I didn't understand completely.
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personnaly i think this one rule is preety...mmm... flexible. I mean, look at the imrod- i don't think that threedy colours are red and black and the logo was not the 100% exact version, but sort of build in his armour. So i think that rules leaves a bit of place for your own creativity and invention, as long as you can say: "hey this one is PC! and this one is CGSociety!"

Correct me if im wrong
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Arlen Specter switches to Democrat = Deadline Extension!!! Am I right? No?! How about

Swine Flu = Deadline Extension!!! Right? Right?!?!
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    don't they extend the deadline every year? Seems like it. We always get a week extension for "polish".

actually, considering I timed myself to make sure I could get this thing done I'd be miffed, but whatever. If it makes or breaks it for a lot of peeps it should be done.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Any idea if cubemaps are allowed? Would this be against our 1 2048 limit? I know it says any shader / rendeirng solution under the sun is permitted...but I wasn't sure if this, being a part of that (as well as ramp textures for shaders in Unreal) would be within the rules? I would think this wouldn't be a problem as it's something available to everyone...but you never know
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey if i want show my character using his super magigal powerful powers on beauty shot and i want to do it with the poly and alpha textures- i am really no good when it comes to particles, and moreover i would like to take a screen from toolbag for it i have to include those trises for fx in my polycount?
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    morte: I think you have to.. all effects add to the polycount and textures..
    Gav: imho cubemaps and ramp textures are a "part" of the shader and therefore ok. Would be stupid to inclued them into your colormap ;)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    morte: Yeah, they seem to be pretty strict on it being "everything" as the rules state. It would be nice to have a special budget for the FX..biut I can see it getting abused.

Katz: Yeah man, that is my assumption as well. You know how it is though, you can never be too sure :) Same with like, everything needs to be done by you for this comp...so..would this cubemap, for example, need to be made by me specifically for this? I would assume not...that's like saying you can't use photo ref for your textures :P I'm assuming it's all good to go, hehe
  • binopittan
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! But people should still shoot to have everything modeled and textured by May 11th, and use the extra time for rendering, post and realtime display.

On a related note it might have been covered already but do we have a standardized logo, text and boarder, we should use to tag our final images or are we clear to come up with whatever?
  • Kzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kzo
    Is this for everybody or just the 3D challengers?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    So would xNormal's emissive glow be considered a shader (allowed) or a post effect (limited to beauty render)?
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fly_soup wrote: »
    So would xNormal's emissive glow be considered a shader (allowed) or a post effect (limited to beauty render)?

Yeah no bloom.
  • Rory_M
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new deadline is 17th may ^.^
    just realized marmoset's post effect is,nt allowed for DWIV presentation shot.
    not even sharpen is allowed?? blah~
    time to switch to good ol 3 point scanline render i suppose..
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    what?? since when? where is this rule that says we cant use post effects in an engine?

I probably wont even have my lowpoly finished by this weekend, life is too busy right now but I still intend to use marmoset when its done if I can.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ binopittan & Ged>
    I'm asking fred about that specifically, I think there's fair enough reasons to warrant the use of the sharpen filter for the presentation shot.

We'll see how it goes-
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7588&page=14
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well said coldkodiak =P

Ged. directly from DWIV site
    Post effects from 3d softwares or 2d programs like Photoshop are NOT allowed in this image. The only adjustments allowed are: Brightness/Contrast, and Hue/Saturation
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I took that to mean photoshop filters or max motion blur filters etc which happen after you render a single frame and take a lot of setting up - not real time engine filters which happen at like 60 frames per second and are a part of nearly every game these days without any complex setup
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah the specs are open for a lot of interpretation, especially considering the way different engines work.

I have a question for those who might know, taking into account the below from the rules:

"Shaders: All shaders from any game engine or 3d software package on planet earth, is allowed..."

"...
    1 x 2048 Color Map
    *1 x 2048 Reflection Map
    *1 x 2048 Specular Map
    *1 x 2048 Specular Color Map
    *1 x 2048 Normal Map
    *1 x 2048 Bump Map
    *1 x 2048 Opacity(transparency) Map
    *1 x 2048 Glow map
    *1 x 2048 Glossiness map
    ..."

What if my engine can fake stuff like sss, ambient occlusion etc but it needs a material to draw from?
    Does that mean I can't access those shaders even if my game engine can do it?
    Can I use the unused opacity or bump map materials as inputs for other shader combinations or are they only for the named use?
    Can I use the r,g,b,a channels of my materials for different shader inputs etc?

These are all practical applications many game engines can do right now.

Wish they had just said,
    - you can use any universally available game engine or editor to present your character.
    - maximumn size of any required map is the equivelant of 2048 x 2048 although can be any configuration, 1024 x 4096, 4 x 1024 x 1024 etc.
    - Go nuts. :P

Oh well, maybe next time. :)

oh a woohoo about the extension. hehe
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    shit, I wish they would announce these deadline extensions earlier, I wouldnt have rushed my unwrap if I knew this :(

also one thing I find weird about the rules is that all maps can't be broken into smaller maps, I need to make a 2048x2048 alpha map for some hairs that take up like 64x64 pixels :/
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    YAY! Now I think I could start over the texturing in Zbrush...I have too many damn seams now :(
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    what are the rules and regs on using channels from one map to plug into something like parallax mapping? Can I use my "bump map" as a parallax map? What about throwing extra maps into unused alpha channels in maps?
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus wrote: »
    Yeah the specs are open for a lot of interpretation, especially considering the way different engines work.

I have a question for those who might know, taking into account the below from the rules:

"Shaders: All shaders from any game engine or 3d software package on planet earth, is allowed..."

"...
    1 x 2048 Color Map
    *1 x 2048 Reflection Map
    *1 x 2048 Specular Map
    *1 x 2048 Specular Color Map
    *1 x 2048 Normal Map
    *1 x 2048 Bump Map
    *1 x 2048 Opacity(transparency) Map
    *1 x 2048 Glow map
    *1 x 2048 Glossiness map
    ..."

What if my engine can fake stuff like sss, ambient occlusion etc but it needs a material to draw from?
    Does that mean I can't access those shaders even if my game engine can do it?
    Can I use the unused opacity or bump map materials as inputs for other shader combinations or are they only for the named use?
    Can I use the r,g,b,a channels of my materials for different shader inputs etc?

These are all practical applications many game engines can do right now.

Wish they had just said,
    - you can use any universally available game engine or editor to present your character.
    - maximumn size of any required map is the equivelant of 2048 x 2048 although can be any configuration, 1024 x 4096, 4 x 1024 x 1024 etc.
    - Go nuts. :P

Oh well, maybe next time. :)

oh a woohoo about the extension. hehe

Here's my opinion. This is a game art competition. Not a 'how well can you render in Maya or Max' competition.

You should be able to construct all and any of your final presentation, using whatever effects you like (parallax, brdf, cube maps, sss, ssao etc.) , so long as it is in an freely available game engine. This is the ultimate proof of concept for the artist about their abilities to make art for games.

So long as we're clear here, that this is a game art competition, which it is, as stated on the main page.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Coldkodiak:
    Exactly my point.
    That is why I was asking, can we use all available 'game engine' effects at our disposal?

The Specs (to me) say no. I'll email Fred. :D
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    From what I've been told by the powers that be, anything in the engine is good to go (regarding a few posts over on GA's Q&A thread) From my understanding, if it can be done in the game engine and doesn't violate the rules..it should be fine. Basically, what coldkodiak said.

Unless I've misunderstood...but I'm sure that if I have Aftermath or Fred will correct me here :)

Edit> Corrected!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Woot at the extension!

my holidays start tomorrow so if i haul ass i can do it!

WOO!
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav wrote: »
    From what I've been told by the powers that be, anything in the engine is good to go (regarding a few posts over on GA's Q&A thread) From my understanding, if it can be done in the game engine and doesn't violate the rules..it should be fine. Basically, what coldkodiak said.

Unless I've misunderstood...but I'm sure that if I have Aftermath or Fred will correct me here :)

Edit> Corrected!

Hrm.
    Bloom included there? That sounds a little more open than expected from reading the rules. Sounds like we're actually getting into a game art competition here ;)
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav. what do you mean by corrected? have you actually ask Fred/Ryan directly?

i think we should discuss this on GA's rules thread to get more eyes from the officials =P
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Yah, it was Ryan who told me that it would be fine (by Corrected, I mean that one of my typos was spotted :) ) though, it may be a better idea to look to GA's rules thread as they would probably have a more official word there.

coldkodiak: I know, imagine! :P
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, a quick question regarding the rules for lighting: Are we to understand that ANY kind of light-setup is ok for all of the images? I seem to remember a 3-point lighting rule + no shadows from last year, but can't see any such rule this year... Would be good to know!
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    "All lighting/rendering solutions from any software package on planet earth, is allowed."
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks katzeimsack - I guess I have a hard time believing that's the final word!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the important thing to remember is that there are a few different types of renders they are asking for. You want them all to be as strong as possible, hopefully no ones entry is limping along on engine specific shaders or fancy 3hr+ renders.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few different kinds of final images, sure, but with "any lighting goes" for all of them... LIke EQ said way back, not exactly making a whole lotta sense. I coulda sworn the "anything goes" rule only applied to the beauty, with some limits to the presentation shots or something. Oh well, more power to us.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, they expect us to make do with a 3 point lighting solution? I was going to render it in UT3, but if I have to render it in Maya, fine by me.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress: "All lighting/rendering solutions from any software package on planet earth, is allowed." :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait... so if I use ShaderFX which is all realtime viewport (and actually won't render and is not a post effect) it can't be used for the presentation shot? It was my understanding that this was a realtime viewport grab?
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh God, what have I done :) The point was that it's ALL OK. Anything goes.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Just to double check- the last day is Monday, right? 11:59 Monday night?
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    That's correct, OrganizedChaos. What I wouldn't do to change it to Tuesday ;) .
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are we supposed to add the pedestal textures to the final texture page?
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also have a question about file size...
    it says max file size is 350k. But my jpegs at 1200x1000 are more like 700+ So obviously if I shrink them by half I can meet the requirements but that doesnt seem right at all. Is there some secret to get the file size smaller that I am missing?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    The_Kozmonaut, just use more compression on the jpeg when you save it.

InProgress, I doubt it, has never been the case in previous Dominance Wars, the pedestal polies/texture space is all bonus.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, ok, thanks Bal.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A question: Are patches of grass allowed on the pedestal? It says: "Only Bones and skulls are fine." I'm guessing no, but I hope I'm mistaken.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    InProgress wrote: »
    A question: Are patches of grass allowed on the pedestal? It says: "Only Bones and skulls are fine." I'm guessing no, but I hope I'm mistaken.
    I think they mean that skulls and bones are the only additional "characters" you can put on your pedestal.
    Can't see why grass wouldn't be allowed.