Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a reflection toggle? That is news to me =D

Specular and reflection are one in the same, if you want a blurrier spec/reflection turn the sharpness done, if you want sharper reflections, turn the sharpness up.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I got it to work on a different machine. Runs totally smooth with nice results! Really slick and easy to use. Interface is totally up my alley and the features for materials is pretty good.
    Some stuff I would like to see, which was already mentioned was the AO slot... someone already mentioned this... and maybe a DOF post effect as well as the ability to place point lights where you want them. The bloom is a nice little feature as well as all your post effects. Is there a way to dial in values manually without using the slider? Anyway, here's some grabs of a model I did last year. Oh, and the environments are nice also. Thanks a lot guys! I'll totally get some good use out of this toolset!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert wrote: »
    I got it to work on a different machine. Runs totally smooth with nice results! Really slick and easy to use. Interface is totally up my alley and the features for materials is pretty good.
    Some stuff I would like to see, which was already mentioned was the AO slot... someone already mentioned this... and maybe a DOF post effect as well as the ability to place point lights where you want them. The bloom is a nice little feature as well as all your post effects. Is there a way to dial in values manually without using the slider? Anyway, here's some grabs of a model I did last year. Oh, and the environments are nice also. Thanks a lot guys! I'll totally get some good use out of this toolset!
    rufus_tb1.jpg
    rufus_tb2.jpg

You should multiply your AO onto your diffuse/spec maps, i'm not sure why you would need another slot for this?

If you want AO for environment stuff(on a 2nd uv channel) that feature is already there, just make sure your mesh has 2 uv channels and load your texture in the AmbientMap slot. You could also just duplicate your uvs and use this slot for ao on anything, but i dont really see why you would want to. I if its in your diff/spec you can do things like color it etc(you wouldn't want black AO for skin).

You can nudge the sliders with the arrow keys, but there seems to be a bug here, if you nudge and then click on the viewport to rotate it will shoot the value to the highest. So click on something else after you've nudged.
  • Indignation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question I just installed the PHysX driver on my PC and I already had the Agiea PhysX driver installed from installing Unreal 3 when I opend Unreal Editor it said I needed to update the .ini files unless it will crash. I did, and looked in my Control Panel and I found that the Agiea PhysX driver isnt there anymore instead it has the Nvidia one installed could that be an Upgrade to the AGEIA PhysX driver. Not sure how this works
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    That system should be perfectly fine. The only cards we have really thoroughly tested are nvidia gforce, namely 6800-8800 series. Also vista was never tested much, so that could be an issue as well.

Well, after testing the latest update, I get an error log longer than my intestines when I start up, after getting a message telling me "This computer does not appear to meet the minimum requirements for Darkest of Days. Game performance and graphics could be seriously affected. See the 'readme' file for more information. Do you wish to continue?"

So I hit yes, and all the errors are 'OpenGL error...' yadda yadda yadda. Seems they're shader and prop errors, so maybe that's just normal. Which if it is, then no biggie. Buuuuut, then none of my buttons have text. I can click on a button (not knowing what they are) and it'll change to what seems to be the render setup stuff, but once again no text. So I'm just going to assume I can't run it haha. Maybe it's Vista, maybe it's my system, but like you said I would totally assume my system is completely fine for running this as I can run a great deal of things perfectly fine off here.
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    There is a reflection toggle? That is news to me =D

Specular and reflection are one in the same, if you want a blurrier spec/reflection turn the sharpness done, if you want sharper reflections, turn the sharpness up.

Under the render tab/render there is a toggle for reflectiions but doesnt seem to work. I was just wondering if you could control the reflective independently..doesnt look like it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh ok i see that there, i think that is for glass materials(something that isnt supported in the mat editor, well its supported there just isnt a GUI for it). Nothing outside of the Mat tab will change material properties, the render tab is for effects and such.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question I just installed the PHysX driver on my PC and I already had the Agiea PhysX driver installed from installing Unreal 3 when I opend Unreal Editor it said I needed to update the .ini files unless it will crash. I did, and looked in my Control Panel and I found that the Agiea PhysX driver isnt there anymore instead it has the Nvidia one installed could that be an Upgrade to the AGEIA PhysX driver. Not sure how this works

Nvidia recently aquired PhysX and i think they are trying to merge physx drivers and graphics drivers into one package. I know with the latest nforce drivers GPU physx acceleration is on by default(VERY NO).

As far as UE3 specific stuff, i cant really help, sorry dude.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Medestruit wrote: »
    Well, after testing the latest update, I get an error log longer than my intestines when I start up, after getting a message telling me "This computer does not appear to meet the minimum requirements for Darkest of Days. Game performance and graphics could be seriously affected. See the 'readme' file for more information. Do you wish to continue?"

So I hit yes, and all the errors are 'OpenGL error...' yadda yadda yadda. Seems they're shader and prop errors, so maybe that's just normal. Which if it is, then no biggie. Buuuuut, then none of my buttons have text. I can click on a button (not knowing what they are) and it'll change to what seems to be the render setup stuff, but once again no text. So I'm just going to assume I can't run it haha. Maybe it's Vista, maybe it's my system, but like you said I would totally assume my system is completely fine for running this as I can run a great deal of things perfectly fine off here.

What are your system specs?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The AO slot thing can be quite a debate, but yeah there can be benefits in having it as a separate slot altogheter (see Luxina engine for a great effect)

Ragarding the shadows in Toolbag - it would be soooo nice if the shadowed areas were not just darker than the lit ones, but were displaying a darkened and tinted diffuse instead.

(at the moment I think that parts in shadows still have some directional lighting applied to them, as opposed to a more ambiant, non-directional look)

Enjoying the new release of the app btw!! Seems to work better for aterial creation now!
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    not knowing about the way their engine works, but for "large scale" shadowing the multiplication is easier/ more efficient to do. While a more correct lighting would look cooler in a modelviewer, it wouldnt be truth to the ingame engine anymore, which was the point of the app
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    not knowing about the way their engine works, but for "large scale" shadowing the multiplication is easier/ more efficient to do. While a more correct lighting would look cooler in a modelviewer, it wouldnt be truth to the ingame engine anymore, which was the point of the app

Yea, but it truely is a shame. Quality shadows would have really put Marmoset "over the top".

But then again I am a shadow Nazi
    ( gorgeous self shadowing soft shadows and shadows composition will define someday what is considered next-gen )

However, from a distance and without animation and if I squint mah eyes jes so... Marmoset shadows don't look that shabby.
  • monkeyscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    pior wrote: »

Ragarding the shadows in Toolbag - it would be soooo nice if the shadowed areas were not just darker than the lit ones, but were displaying a darkened and tinted diffuse instead.

(at the moment I think that parts in shadows still have some directional lighting applied to them, as opposed to a more ambiant, non-directional look)

The shadows are not darkened diffuse by any means, they are lit by a different skybox. The shadow skybox has the sun photoshopped out and only contains the color/light information from the rest of the sky. The color of the shadows then becomes the nice, ambient sky blue you come to expect, and the tone also fits the photo reference.

There is much debate over how much control to give the artists in exaggerating the ambient blue in shadows. As a programmer, I have to side with the purists: hands off, this way is *correct*!
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    The shadows are not darkened diffuse by any means, they are lit by a different skybox. The shadow skybox has the sun photoshopped out and only contains the color/light information from the rest of the sky. The color of the shadows then becomes the nice, ambient sky blue you come to expect, and the tone also fits the photo reference.

There is much debate over how much control to give the artists in exaggerating the ambient blue in shadows. As a programmer, I have to side with the purists: hands off, this way is *correct*!
    is there a way to create multiple shadows?
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Hey awesome to finally check the toolbag you've been working with EarthQuake.
    Really great model viewer, everything is super simple and slick.

I tested it with object space normals which worked well, but when I loaded my tangent space ones didn't seem to work right, I guess I'll have to look into it it when I get more time.

Thanks !
  • monkeyscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough wrote: »
    is there a way to create multiple shadows?

no :(
  • monkeyscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush wrote: »
    Are reflections based off of the spec map? The reflections toggle has no effect for me.

The reflections checkbox is useless, its a general rendering option meant for water which isn't in Toolbag.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are your system specs?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@ 2.2ghz/2.2ghz
    RAM: 2gb
    GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 512mb(1024 hyper-threaded)

Running the latest ATI drivers, with all OpenGL enabled(the card supports shader model 2.0, so It shouldn't be an OpenGL issue)
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is a sweet viewer. now all i have to do is make stuff i can use the viewer for... there goes all my free time.
  • warriah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warriah polycounter lvl 12
    hot damn, this is awesome! its very easy to use. i got my models within 10 min into it.just in time for domwar too.
    big props to the guys at 8monkeylabs

here's some tests fooling around with it.
    i'l ask my questions once i actaully read thru the whole thread. im sure its been answered before.
    venomtoolbag_test.jpg
    dragontoolbag_test.jpg

thanks again.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Monkey! Thanks for the explainations.
    By 'darkened diffuse' I didn't mean just a blacker one, but more like something like you described (tinted and shadowed areas in concordence with the environment)
    I really like the idea of a 'shadow cubemap'. Is there a way to access and edit these maps? I feel like this shadow cubemap cube be simplified even more because at the moment it still feels quite directionnal as opposed to a more ambiant/GI look.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    I had a chance to briefly check out the editor this evening and from what I saw it was very intuitive. Probably the biggest issues I saw were these...

-sliders going to max value when trying to rotate the viewport after an edit
    -unable to change viewport size and often times I can't even move the window, I couldn't find a cfg file either (checked in the base folder)
    -the X on the upper right hand corner doesn't work
    -shadows arent very noticeable and I couldn't find much control in terms of their direction. They also seem to need adjustment everytime I rotate to another angle of the model.
    -no emissive slot but I read the workarounds and although not ideal they work

I wasn't able to check it out as much as I'd have liked because of video driver issues I've been having (unrelated to marmoset) but overall I'd have to give this 2 thumbs up! I think I'll try it out the next time I make a game character at home.

Thanks for making this publically available, that's very generous!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I f***** love this toy, thanks 8monkey !

b73b1e40b7cca782b9acd7302c38c.jpg
  • circo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i havent read all the awnsers but is it possible to get lights inside like in UT3 engine? Because its get a little bit of light but not much:/ and i want to add some lights to create a mood if you know what i mean:)

Greetzz
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    circo wrote: »
    i havent read all the awnsers but is it possible to get lights inside like in UT3 engine? Because its get a little bit of light but not much:/ and i want to add some lights to create a mood if you know what i mean:)

Greetzz

hold down shift and drag the mouse to rotate the lighting around the model, choose a different sky for different lights
  • circo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but we cant do inside lights? like in Ut3 the ambient light or so?

Greetz
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    circo wrote: »
    but we cant do inside lights? like in Ut3 the ambient light or so?

Greetz

not as far as I know, it just doesnt work like that, its not a level editor. Read the instructions that came with it :)
  • circo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i know:) i was just curious because im doing the contest on game-artist etccc to make a scene and we are working on a inside scene:) so was curious if it was possible to make an ambient light:) but ok:) i can still use it for my other models:D

thanks for the response
  • velvetrevolver
    does anyone now if this engine can work with glow ? or how to come about making elements glow? :D that would be really helpfull :D
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    EQ answered that question :
    So, you have two ways to do that but you can't use maps for this effect.
    There is no support for emmisive textures. If you read the TUTORIAL.TXT file it runs over the basics of what can(and can not) be done.

One work around is to use a bright color in both the spec, and diffuse, with bloom on.

Another thing would be to use a bright color with the FlatEnvironment material, but you would need to be able to split off a separate mesh chunk. So if you had just a few small details, that method would not work, you'de have to have a nice solid chunk that you wanted to glow.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Question:
    can i set the background color through the command prompt? Or is there a way to set the same color(besides black)so i can keep the background color consistent on multiple files?
  • velvetrevolver
    thanks goSsS im embarrased i missed that >__< and thanks for the engine guys its pretty damn cool!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Earthquake just been poking around in this for a bit, am i right in assuming this only supports .tga and .pfm? o and thanks for the rescource!

-Woog
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, only TGA for textures.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    wow guys, I just had a chance to play around with this. It looks great, and didn't take long to wrap my head around it. Well done. keep it up.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man im so going to enjoy this in the weekend, time for some sweet 3d actionez!
  • Bro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bro polycounter lvl 9
    Hi

I have small problem - I can't open the engine in full screen - do you have any suggestions ??

screen.jpg
    Cheers
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    read the tutorial.txt
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And clean up your desktop and quicklaunch! ;)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I've got a problem with alphas here; the whole thing is one chunk with one alpha'd material. I figure it's because of the double-alpha-is-a-no-no, but is there any sort of workaround, or do I just need to keep this in mind next time I design/model something?

alphasarethebaneofmyexi.jpg
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys. i was playing around and during workin on the textures i wanted to see how my model looks in engine. I've baked the normals in xN and when i am trying to apply the tangent space normal map in editor i got ugly bugs. Simultaneously when im using object space everything works fine...
    on the left object space, on the right tangent
    any thoughts?
    normalmaperror.png
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Well done guys!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    morte wrote: »
    hi guys. i was playing around and during workin on the textures i wanted to see how my model looks in engine. I've baked the normals in xN and when i am trying to apply the tangent space normal map in editor i got ugly bugs. Simultaneously when im using object space everything works fine...
    on the left object space, on the right tangent
    any thoughts?
    normalmaperror.png

Looks like edge hardness, if you use maya soften edge, if max (grrr) smooth group=1.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    I've got a problem with alphas here; the whole thing is one chunk with one alpha'd material. I figure it's because of the double-alpha-is-a-no-no, but is there any sort of workaround, or do I just need to keep this in mind next time I design/model something?

alphasarethebaneofmyexi.jpg

First off try separating the chunks that need alpha to their own bit, and oly apply alpha on that. If you read the tutoral.txt i wrote a bit about alpha and how it works. Use alpha test if you still cant get good results with alphablend. Also, alphablend will not work with the skybox.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    Looks like edge hardness, if you use maya soften edge, if max (grrr) smooth group=1.

Yeah looks like you need to average normals.
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I solved the matter- normals were good, it was the first thing i checked.

I'm a Blender user, so for every blenderuser: during the exporting obj you must tick the option 'Normals' which is for vertex normal data.

Thanks for help and sorry for troubling!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    wohoooooooo .. thx man!!!
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Thanks guys!

I've been waiting for this! And who knew that christmas would come around so fast again?

Thanks again!
    Playing around just a few seconds here, i love it already cos im not a big fan of setting up render scenes and it's hard to get that real "in game" feel in just maya.

Wonderful, just wonderful :D

SUMO.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Downloading as we speak! :D
This discussion has been closed.