Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I've been waiting for this for months!! :D

thanks lads!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    hey, i've got a bit of a troublshooting problem - is there any reason why i should be unable to 'create a new material'?

i can import an object, rotate around it select/press buttons - even select chunks in the 'chunks menu' -but the 'new mat' button seems diabled - i get no response from it and the other edit/clear/add mat buttons.................

EDIT:

ha! seems to be an offset on the 'clickable' area my mat buttons have - so no probs, it seems the responsive area i slightly under the text - meh
    cheers for the tools!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! forum thread gods - i encountered a similar problem to that of MM's :

i posess maya 7 (and 8.5) when i try to export using the stooge script it crashes maya 7 everytime
    (it does creates a .mesh file though at 0kb size which is useless and crashes the engine)......

plus.....

when I try importing a straight .obj file i have problems trying to assign a .mat to it in the engine....
    (basically in the .mat library it has the "default" mat - and when i go to create a new .mat it does
    create a file, but nothing appears in the library - even after doing the 'add mat btn'

- is their any specific settings in exporting a .obj form max or maya for optimal results/compatibility in the marmoset engine?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Same as Achmed : Maya export crashes everytime here using 'stooge' in the command line and the default tickboxes (maya8.0)

I also have the same issue for mat creation. I think it is easier to create them all by hand really, assign them to the model inside the viewer, and 'save mesh and materials' to create the .rig once everything displays proper.

Also a note for those who want to look at the sample files : Even tho the viewer uses relatives paths, you still have to put the folder in a specific location inside the Toolbag folder. To find out, open the .mat in a text editor, this will give you a hint on the correct locations. I find it easier that ay as opposed to editing the text files by hand ... because Marmoset uses "/" as opposed to windows "\" :P
    For instance Vahls models need to be put in base\Models (and the materials, in base\Models\Grimoire\Grimoire.mat and so on)

Is there a way to tilt a skybox? I can rotate them, bust most of the time I whish the sun was higher up.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    actually my samples have to be extracted with paths kept in base/models, the other paths should work once that's done
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah but there is no 'Models' folder in that distribution of the Toolbag :P
    If they end up in 'base' (as in, base/Grimoire) they wont load.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yeah sorry about that, made all that stuff rather quickly, I'll update the readme to make sure it's clear though !!!
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry if I've missed this earlier on but how do I stop the light from spinning? I can control it with shift+RMB but can't slow it down enough.

Anyhow, great release guys. Much appreciated.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For everyone who is having material creating problems, instead of new material, just click Save mat as, this for me has always worked and it should add it to the mat list, i think the new mat button is a long standing issue.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal wrote: »
    Sorry if I've missed this earlier on but how do I stop the light from spinning? I can control it with shift+RMB but can't slow it down enough.

Shift+LMB to turn the sky, Shift+RMB to throw it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Same as Achmed : Maya export crashes everytime here using 'stooge' in the command line and the default tickboxes (maya8.0)

I also have the same issue for mat creation. I think it is easier to create them all by hand really, assign them to the model inside the viewer, and 'save mesh and materials' to create the .rig once everything displays proper.

Also a note for those who want to look at the sample files : Even tho the viewer uses relatives paths, you still have to put the folder in a specific location inside the Toolbag folder. To find out, open the .mat in a text editor, this will give you a hint on the correct locations. I find it easier that ay as opposed to editing the text files by hand ... because Marmoset uses "/" as opposed to windows "" :P
    For instance Vahls models need to be put in baseModels (and the materials, in baseModelsGrimoireGrimoire.mat and so on)

Is there a way to tilt a skybox? I can rotate them, bust most of the time I whish the sun was higher up.

Actually yes you can rotate the skyboxes, what you want to do is open up the .env file in the appropriate directory, and change a paramater. I think it is LightRotation 30 or something like that. Looking at the skys that were shipped i cant find this param, i'll have to ask someone. It isnt the LightDirection param btw, that is something else. Stay tuned.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Quick test on a new piece i'm working on. Loving the simple post effects and presets. Cheers guys.

panel_B.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, since converting OS maps from max format to maya/XN format is not nearly as simple, i figured i'de start up a post here on the correct way to convert maps, as well as try to figure out the correct settings to use when rendering in max for xn/maya format OS maps.

Here is a quick example(kaskad's bullet) in toolbag of how the max rendered OS map is incorrect.

xnvsmaxos.jpg

And here are the different maps
    xnvsmaxnormals.jpg

Now, if we analize the difference between the maps here, we should be able to come up with a method to convert from one to the other.

If we break it down into the specfic color channels, we see that:
    Red is the same
    Green in xn is the same as blue in max
    Blue in xn is Green in max, but inverted.

So, to convert a Max OS map to Maya/XN format, we need to do this
    1. Copy the green into a seperate file
    2. Copy the blue into the green
    3. Invert the green channel that was pasted into a new image, and copy that into the blue.

There, that should solve it, you should now have something that looks like this:

xnvsmaxnormalsfixed.jpg

Now, the final thing to figure out is which swizzle settings do we change to come up with the same result in Max/NX, now that is where i have no clue.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    took some fiddling, but I managed to get it out of Maya and into the engine. Wish I had this when i was working on him, I would have spotted the mistakes that don't show up in the maya viewport.

asMarmosetShot_01.jpg
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Irreal wrote: »

For speed control I have been having luck with:
    throwing far for fast spin

throwing short for slow spin
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch wrote: »
    took some fiddling, but I managed to get it out of Maya and into the engine. Wish I had this when i was working on him, I would have spotted the mistakes that don't show up in the maya viewport.

Nice model whipSwitch:thumbup:

EarthQuake: This thread only started 4 days ago. And in that time you have really gone out of your way to provide a lot of help in that short period.

Thank you!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    This is a sweet tool, thank you.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woo! got it working using just a .obj file from maya - and i used the 'save as' technique for get'n the .mat to work:

cyc_marmoset.jpg
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Looks like I found my viewer for DW4. Used a straight .obj from max 2008 64 bit.
    Alphas were in a different file though :( Have to keep that in mind next time.

marmosetrendertest01.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Great tool you guys, thanks so much for sharing it. Definitely looking forward to using it during the Dom War. It seems like I can get a model in and setup in the time it takes my unreal ed to get up and running.

This was a test with the SkinSimpleEnviroment
    8monkeybaby3copy.jpg
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewwww looks like spice merchant form dune plus quatto -

quaiiiiid....... quaiid.... open your minddddd. hehe

needs to be more fetus-like slimy....
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek wrote: »
    It seems like I can get a model in and setup in the time it takes my unreal ed to get up and running.

That sounds about right. =)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New toolbag release is up on the 8monkey server(uploading to my server atm as well), its a minor point release (0.51). Changes:

- inexplicible/empty dialog box fixed (was missing translation table)
    - shader printout on error now no longer prints full source :P
    - the "new material" bug has finally been resolved, hoorj
    - openal installer now included, docs updated to mention openal and physx with links

One thing for everyone who tries this new build, make sure you have updated graphics drivers, please do not post about graphical glitches unless you have update drivers. Thanks!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    thanks for the update eq, you've been a huge help in this thread :)
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    New toolbag release is up on the 8monkey server(uploading to my server atm as well), its a minor point release (0.51). Changes:

- openal installer now included, docs updated to mention openal and physx with links

One thing for everyone who tries this new build, make sure you have updated graphics drivers, please do not post about graphical glitches unless you have update drivers. Thanks!

Awesome!! Hopefully I can get this one to work :D
    Do we get a link in here for this? ^.^
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im stoked to get to fool around with this awesome app. Just thrownin my 2 cents in and letting you know that my buttons dont seem to be working either. Still hopeful though!
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »

Was there work done on loading .skel as well? Cuz I no longer crash when loading them:)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I haven't tried the new build, but I was getting the DoD message as well.
  • circo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so what is the minimum pc specs required for this?

I work on a
    Intel Xeon E5420
    4 gig ram
    Quadro FX 1700

and i get the error it doesnt work properly on this system.........

also when i do the stooge pluging for maya, i work on 2008 the maya80.mll doesnt work on it.. i can only load maya90.mll

So why is this?

And for the rest keep it up great game engine

Greetz
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    really nice and handy, you can create really good looking pictures with it in no time, will help me alot presenting the few "nextgen" assets i do from time to time, really cool and straight forward.
    Setting up unreal for this would have bin a pain in the ass.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    circo wrote: »
    so what is the minimum pc specs required for this?

I work on a
    Intel Xeon E5420
    4 gig ram
    Quadro FX 1700

and i get the error it doesnt work properly on this system.........

also when i do the stooge pluging for maya, i work on 2008 the maya80.mll doesnt work on it.. i can only load maya90.mll

So why is this?

And for the rest keep it up great game engine

Greetz

Quadro's were never tested so they are not really supported.

Maya 2008 is actually version 9, so that makes sense about the plugin.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VikingJim wrote: »
    Im stoked to get to fool around with this awesome app. Just thrownin my 2 cents in and letting you know that my buttons dont seem to be working either. Still hopeful though!

This may be a resolution problem. Have you changed your resolution from the default? If not, read the tutorial.txt, it will explain how to change your res.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    Awesome!! Hopefully I can get this one to work :D
    Do we get a link in here for this? ^.^

Its the same link in the first post.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Firstly: I peed a little bit in my pants. You guys owe me new pants.

Secondly: Does the maya plugins work with 8.5? Sorry if this has been asked.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    didn't for me, dur :(
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    WoW

Thanks guys!

Just in time for DW

THX a ton guys! Totally awesome! Love the ease of use!

(and ditto for what DUR axed aboot).
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    tried to mess around with the particle tool. the new system button didn't seem to work, unless you have to create sprites in an external app and import them into the system. Didn't see any exporter files for max in the folder. Looks like a nice engine to show off your work :D
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    This is just awesome, tested it allready.

Thanks to you guys for releasing the toolset :D

Regarding the buttons:

I noticed the following:
    If I use a widescreen resolution, the buttons are in the right place but not their activation fields.

If I use a standart resolution like 1280*1024 everythings fine
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Man, what a great application. Many thanks to those who sweated blood over it.

I dident dive to deep but I dident see if there was a way to render tunrarounds. if there was or is, a way to render turn-around's with it that would be best ever.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont think the plugin works for 8.5, but you could try loading up either the v8 or v9 plugin and see what happens.

At some point they may release the source for the exporter, which means that anyone who has the SDK and knows how to compile should be able to whip out an exporter for their version of choice.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    funny little app - had some trouble figuring out that scaling is quite important for stuff to work correctly. :/

brunnen05.jpg
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    EQ wrote:
    Now, the final thing to figure out is which swizzle settings do we change to come up with the same result in Max/xN, now that is where i have no clue.
    I never bake in Max, using Silo and xN which both treat Y as up. To convert my baked OS normal maps so they'll preview correctly in Max and engines that treat Z as up I usually just copy/paste the channels as you wrote. I find it's a lot easier to understand the order if I look at the manipulator, because the color of the arrows are all the colors your OS normal maps are going to use.

If baking with xN to get a map that renders Z as up I can use swizzle X+ Z- Y+. Same in Silo, I use RGB order "RBG" and tick the 'invert blue' button. So I assume if you are baking in Max, which treats its Z as up... I think it might be X+ Z+ Y-, but I have no idea what Max even uses as default. I am assuming XYZ. I don't bake in Max so I can't test it, but that's what I am assuming.

Without the swizzling you can just rotate your baking meshes -90 along World X, then apply the resulting map to the original non-rotated model, if going from "Y is up" (Silo, xN, Maya) to "Z is up" (Max, some games..?). Works well enough for me. For yours I would assume a positive rotation of 90 degrees on World X to provide similar conversion; looking at the manipulator, it makes sense to me: you have your Z going horizontal and your Y going vertical, inverted. Should be same as swapping channels.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - just a question eq:

like kio said, is the final scale of the model something you should worry about?
    - should everything be the same size as the 'scale' silhouette the engine has?
  • monkeyscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    Model scale is arbitrary, but affects the shadow quality so you may have to adjust the shadow distance accordingly. The shadow map resolution is "distributed" inside the volume of the camera frustum, cut off beyond the shadow distance. If your model is teeny tiny inside that volume you'll get blurry, artifact-prone shadows. You'll definitely want to hand-tweak the shadow distance for your final render to fit your model and camera angle.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also if your model is HUGGGEEEEE, it tends to get fogged out(far away objects will get fogged with most skys). Which just seems to flatten the model out. So keeping things around their actual size relevent to scale dude is a good idea.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    EQ:
    When I have 2 objects in the scene - one with a normal map, one without - I apply the normal map to the first one, then it automatically applies the same normal map to the second. I can't remove the map from the second model and then when i try to remove the normal map from the material all together it won't delete. any workarounds?

Edit: it even saves the normal map when I'm trying to create a new material with a new mesh - can't delete it unless i overwrite
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For PhongEnv you NEED to have a normal map. If you dont have a normal map, use PhongSimple instead, if you want diffuse + spec, but no normal, just created a 4x4 image of 127,127,255 and apply that as your normal map. Its likely doing wierd things because it is required to have something there.
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reeeeally awesome of you guys to release these tools

15649b5ea1caced3.jpg

15649b5bbc0e3bb1.jpg
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hurray!!! The new version was kind enough to let me know that my hardware is too old and lame to work with this awesome program!! And now I know.

So I'll be over there, crying in a corner... unable to be as cool as the big kids. ;_;

lol I really need to buy a new computer... What does a 5 year old computer translate to in human years? 50 years? 500? :\
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    Are reflections based off of the spec map? The reflections toggle has no effect for me.
This discussion has been closed.