Home General Discussion

Am I stupid? (Serious qeustion) School stuff

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
Hello good citizens of polycount!

Warning, Incoming wall of text! <
I'm sorry In advance

I forget if school questions are supposed to be posted elsewhere or not here at all, but here goes.

I have recently started attending the Art Institute of Washington. The Media Arts and Animation Bachelors.

This course cost 80,000 mutha fuggin dollars.
I am not rich. By far.
That means after graduation I'd pay about 800 a month for ten years, for student loans.
I can bailout, losing not to much money.

I've attended a drum total of 3 days at the school, basically paying people about 46 dollars a minute to teach me things I already know. I know that these are the beginning days and intro classes. advanced classes coming later.

(I realize I'm probably starting to sound like and ass at this point)

I'd like to one get a job as environmental/character/concepter/3D-animator/artist. Then I dunno become the first human president of space, grow a bitchin mustache, put my brain in a robot body etc.

I'm pretty green when it come to 3D, And digital art in general, I have taught myself (with a lot of help from polycount! and other sites) I'm pretty self driven and have been able to learn pretty quickly.

Here's some pictures to help your eyes stop bleeding from text (old threads, not really watching any but the first)

Some 3D - first-ish 3Dcharacter
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=57583

Some 2D Digital Stuff
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=55663
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56325

Ok... maybe your eyes are still bleeding

By no means am I saying I'm ready to go into the, biz I've got a long way to go for sure.

Uhmm.. so what the hell am I asking...

Does a degree make much difference in getting a job, or pay?
I've been told all kinds of things about starting in the industry, most say you start around 30000

Any advice, opinions would be great.
I guess I could also use a kick in the ass. I'll get the boots If necessary.

I apologize to anyone who took it upon themselves to read this wall of text.

I deeply appreciate your help and time. Thank you.

I'll probably have more questions later.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    JesterBox wrote: »
    I'd like to one get a job as environmental/character/concepter/3D-animator/artist. Then I dunno become the first human president of space, grow a bitchin mustache, put my brain in a robot body etc.

Is that sarcasm or are you seriously going to spread yourself across that many disciplines?

I graduated from an AI in 2003, paid a fraction of what you're paying, and I still don't think it was worth the money.
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, for the feedback,

Sorry I wasn't being clear, I mean basically I want to delve in those and see where I want to go from there I guess.

Did you go to the same school? Noticed your from Fairfax, I'm in fredericksburg,

Did you learn anything useful?

What course did you take?

How was getting a job?

-Sorry question barrage.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    80 GRAND! nothing is worth 80 grand man... jesus. I say get out and look for a cheaper school... or maybe even do some traditional art classes at night or something, save that money and spend on something better man, rent... food... new art equipment.

I pay 15 grand for 3 years... its really in-expensive compared to other schools, but that's all i was willing to pay for such a course that is still in its "new" age (Game design/ development).
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah school is awesome, mainly because you wont ever have to wonder "what if?" - I never went to school and theres always this little whing at the back of my mind that maybe things would be better if I went to school, or maybe one day not having a degree will kick me in the ass.

that said- jason lavoie is right. 80 grand is a metric fuck ton of money, ESPECIALLY if your self driven. get a day job, come home- and learn yourself... The internet is an amazing tool.

2 small copper discs.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, the good people from polycount expressed to me that you don't need school to get a job in the industry. That and you don't need a bachelor's. Once I found that out I quit going to Ai and focused entirely on my portfolio and asked all my questions on polycount. And now I got a job working at Bungie.

So that's what I did and it worked for me. Just thought I'd share. Best of luck in your decisions!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Hey dude,

Its good to see you actively thinking about how you want to do things. Ill try to make this as cohesive as possible without to much random ramblings, so here we go:

Personally I have found from experience that when it comes to art jobs its what you can show in the folio that matters, not what school you went to and all that. School can help guide you if you lack proper motivation/resources for learning.

80k is a hell of a lot of money, especially for AI, no offense to anyone but most of the stuff that comes out of AI is sketchy at best, although like anythin else there are exceptions and ive seen some bangin' work from some AI grads. It all really comes down to each individual person and the way they think would be best to accomplish their goals.

I am self taught and it does feel good not having to pay for any student loans, some of my other co workers are still paying theirs off and are a year older than me. through some chance of pure luck ( absolutely no under the desk pole smokin'.....i swear) I was able to land a job at 20 and kinda took it from there for the last year or so.

If i was to take a program at school I probably would be either still paying it off or still going to school, which for me I wouldnt be able to stand. If you know you can find the resources for learning (polycount is a great start) and are good with tossing your work to the wolves and really listening and applying critiques then I would say that you could probably say screw it and save yourself an assload of cashola.

School however can provide structure and force you to keep working on your portfolio even if you dont really feel motivated, that 80k you gotta pay back will be a good source of motivation. Ive heard many tales of late night folio work and such from co-workers. remember, going to school does not guarantee a job nor does it flick a switch and make you a kick ass artist. from what ive seen, it doesnt really effect starting salary either.

One of the hardest things to do on your own though is to refine yout focus. you said you want to be a environmental/character/concepter/3D-animator/artist, I would choose one of those and focus on it non stop. trying to be a jack of all trades really slows you down and employers these days are almost always looking for people who specialize in certain areas, unless its a really small studio where you might wear multiple job hats.

Focus was my biggest problem, one day i would want to do a cool creature, another some concept work, another some environment work. once i decided to focus entirely on env work I rapidly improved in that area and landed a job. so think about what you really enjoy the most and giv'er on that, cause when you get hired you will be doing it day in day out so it better be something you really like doing.

So I dont know if this helped you or not, but long story short, I dont think anyone who really wants it and has access to the internet needs to go to school for art jobs, there are so many resources out there that are way more current and up to date than what schools like AI are teaching (atleast the one here in Vancouer from what i hear)

the ingredients for success are pretty much free man : Time, perseverance, ability to learn, listen and apply lessons to future work, and most important: a solid work eithic where you dont get bogged down by your failures, but move past it and keep on givin'er. that plus polycount, gnomon and eat 3d dvds etc :P( so its not all free)

all this is just advice/personal opionions blah blah blah, you gotta really consider what you think is the best path for yourself and stick to it.

cheers
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    AI is a waste of money now. Like Jason I payed a fraction of what your paying. Your better off bunkering down and focusing on one discipline (playing with the others to become familiar). Look at the portfolios of others that have the job you want, strive to be better then them. Talk to people in polycount that work in the industry. Continue to ask for advise, crits, and such.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    enroll in Polycount University, you learn lots and it's free!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree, sounds way too expensive and ultimately not worth it.

If you need to have a Bachelors I suggest you go to the cheapest college you can find, for traditional art. Work on your portfolio all along, and you'll certainly be ready when you graduate (if you stay active on polycount and keep working).

Personally, I am a recent grad, and have a ton of debt from school. I only wish I would have thought things threw more than I did like you are now.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    For a guy who has some basic skills, at least, I think you will find that the art school will simply open your eyes to many new stuff, if nothing else. Your skills may continue to grow mostly thanks to your own teaching, and not what the school might teach you, but that's the price of being somewhat ahead (at least during these intro classes). You gotta get them credits so might as well make the most out of it - steer your work towards video game art and concept design. No matter what other people do, or what the assignment is, you keep pushing towards your goals and work on improving your skills in that direction. If you gotta render a fucking spoon, make it the coolest, dopest, craziest spoon you can, that type that's worth your goal. Make sure you research your teachers (talk to them before you take them, show them ur work and explain what u want) so you'll get the ones that will help you, rather than get in the way. The broad paths the school will force you to take may seem irrelevant, but I think it pays off. maybe not 80k pays off, but pays off. Looking at your work i'd say u've got the necessary potential, and an art school is just what you need. Besides, its a great place to meet other artists (and hot hippy chicks) (well maybe not in washington but u get my point).

A degree by itself is worth shit, generally, and so is all the other commercial bull they cram into your business "how to be a pro" classes. All that matters is your work.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Only 3 days in? As an Art Institute graduate my advise to you would be gtfo while you still can.

I spent more then half my time at AI teaching myself what the school should have been teaching, but was locked in more or less sense I'd already spent 10's of thousands their and couldn't justify leaving without a diploma.

The problem with AI is that they will teach the basics of a number of subjects, but past that the entire education falls apart. That's why the vast majority of AI grads have poor portfolios, they rely on the school to teach them what they're supposed to know but then just end up with a greatly extended set of lessons in the basics and nothing more.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I'd pay about 800 a month for ten years, for student loans.
    Holy fuck, think again what ur doing to urself!

Not to brag or anything but I went to a school for 2 yrs getting payed to do it and then got myself a kick ass job...

Where I have been your school doesnt mean jack, its not like a company would go: Yeah we see this kick ass stuff you make but we are still not sure because you dont have this super school to back you up.

question: How long have you been doing 3d? and maybe art in general? Do you need this school?

800$ a month, hmm dont know about the wages over there or cost of living at the level you want to live on but i guess i pay 100-200$ a month for food. give me 3 months of student loans and i can live for 2 yrs. :) Im not kidding, it is what my advice costs you. Nevermind its free of charge. I just want to be sure you know how much money it is because I dont to be honest.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    First, you misspelled question ;)

Second, like everyone else is saying; $80k is WAY too much. Where did you get that number? Is that based on something you've calculated? I've never had a school tell me how much my degree would total in the end. I just completed my Bachelors in Computer Science and I only spent about $20k.
    If $80k is truly what it will cost you, then get out now. If you want advanced learning, take some independent courses somewhere. If they'll allow you to sign up for them now(no pre-reqs), take them at your school, then drop.
    The impression I've gotten from hanging around this place is, those who go to school, basically use it as time to create a portfolio. Beyond that, it doesn't seem like most people here go to school for design, and still manage to get into the industry. With graphics, you can prove yourself with your work, where most other careers require the degree as proof of talent.

If you REALLY want to go to school, use the time to get a different degree (as a backup), and focus on developing your graphics skills on your own.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, for the feedback,

Sorry I wasn't being clear, I mean basically I want to delve in those and see where I want to go from there I guess.

Did you go to the same school? Noticed your from Fairfax, I'm in fredericksburg,

Did you learn anything useful?

What course did you take?

How was getting a job?

-Sorry question barrage.

Media Arts and Animation at Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale, it took me roughly 3 years to find a job because I was like most of the students = a mediocre jack of all trades. Good thing I had two semesters of Director, everyone knows how much employers love interactive portfolios!

I knew the degree was roughly $40k when I went but through a twist I only ended up saddled with about $15k in dept. If I had to pay $800 a month I don't think I could live here in Northern VA, it would definately have to be a multiple roomate type of living situation.

I went in 1998 and the majority of the student body was full of kids who either wanted to be Disney animators, in the Film VFX industry, or just drew anime all the time. I don't know how much the degree has changed but it's really an animation degree.

About 2006 I started focusing on environment art and about a year later got a job at Mythic
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah most of the AI schools and Multimedia classes are running anywhere from 75-105k now, it's f'ing ridiculous and nowhere near worth it.

And an $80,000 loan doesnt mean that you pay 800 for 10 years, there's varying intrest rates for each and every loan as well, which would probably make it closer to 1000 for 18 or 20 years.

Point blank, they should show these people what and how long you will be paying for this for years to come, and they dont, because it will scare you off.

You do not need a piece of paper to get a job, just your portfolio. I got mine and 38k in debt still to pay off, and I learned a little there at school, but the vast majority was here and via IRC with the PC bunch. Schools, are usually behind the times and teach in a general manner, it's up to you to learn the in depth portions of a program.
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    this really saddens me, dude get out while you can. I graduate in about 5 months and from seeing so many posts like this, I really get pretty bent about how screwed I feel.

to be honest only thing I feel that I got from AI in tampa was an open mind and more focused attention, which compared to the pros isn't that great at all. Im graduating with a 3.5 GPA or so and really don't feel like the most talented nor smartest guy out there.

I think your ahead of many people finding a community like this, but if you want some kind of degree education go to a local community college and get that from there for a lot cheeper. the rest can be done with training videos and on your own time (and with a sense of dignity).

-my two cents
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah seriously I would say to get out now and self teach or find a cheaper school, or take some fine art classes while 3d on your own time and whatnot.

if I could do it over I would take a loan out for just 10-15k (whatever I need to live for x amount of years) and just spend all that time learning (or fine get a job during that time if you want, whatever) non stop. it's a hell of a lot cheaper and you'll have all the time you want to practice. just takes a lot of self motivation but hey - how bad do you want the job?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Christ 80K? Damn man, get out now. There are cheaper ways to get where you want. Bail Bail Bail.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey 80K? Fuck that man, one of the best things i ever did was *NOT* pay out the ass to go to college. I'm 24 with no debt, which means i can do something useful, like buy a house before i'm 35. =D
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    It's good that you've had these thoughts and questions so early. 80k is absolutely not worth it for the education you're going to receive. IMO, the MAA program is filled with too much garbage, and doesn't allow you to focus on the things you need. My guess is that most AIs are pretty much the same which means you'll have mostly mediocre teachers with a couple really good ones, and shitty career services. You will get advisement from a person that has made a career of being an adviser, not from working in the industry.

That doesn't mean school isn't a good option for you, though. It's a good place to meet people and give you some structure. If you want to go the 4 year route, take your basic classes at CC and transfer credits to a better school. Whether that's a state university doing fine arts, or going to a private art school with a better rep like scad or aau is up to you. Keep in mind, though, that pretty much all schools that teach this stuff have a certain amount of bullshit going on. VFS, for the internet reputation it has gained, still puts out plenty of crap graduates, and sells people on unreal hopes and dreams. Gnomon might be a good option and animation mentor looks good if you want to do strictly animation.

I think if you can find the motivation within yourself to succeed, you will be fine without school. With all the people on this board and others that were disillusioned by their experiences, you'll have no shortage of help.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    80k you get a degree in architecture or medicine and those are even cheaper , now for a course that has a person reading the F1 help file ;) ?
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    I went to the art institute of Pittsburgh
    4 years Game Art and design
    I pay close to 500 a month and only make 32 k a year

Pros:
    My biggest pro is the friends I met and the contacts I made as a result of attending. It also keeps the whip cracking if you are getting lazy.

Cons:
    I had 70k plus in loans when i got out.
    Their career services don't do much to get you a job.
    I felt like most of the time I knew more than the teachers did on subjects.

Don't go, get out while you can. Polycount will do wonders. If I wouldnt have spent countless hours on here and working my butt off in my free time, I wouldn't have landed a position.

Consider a smaller fine arts school with a light workload, and just live at home and work on 3d art with the goal of specializing in one area of 3d art.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    80k holy crap! Who's with me? I'm starting a school!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I was gonna go to AI in vancouver when i graduated highschool, thought about it a little more, And 3 days before school started i dropped out not only am i richer but i think ive learned more about game art in the last 2 1/2 years surfing polycoun than i would have at that school.

Although i have yet to attain a job i think its the best decision i have ever made, although my parents and people that dont now anything about gameart think i screwed myself over not going to school, and no employer will hire me without a diploma :P

and yes you are stupid for considering even paying that much!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, and we can employ all the recent Ai grads as instructors.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I wasted a lot of money on my degree. It didn't help me get my job - I have a business and new media design degree. I'm entirely self-taught and employed. I work with a number of folks who don't have a degree.

At some point in your life you may wind up with not having a degree holding you back...but I doubt it. This is entirely a skill-based industry, and the skills required are easily demonstrable, even to people who don't understand what exactly it is you do :)

It is, however, important to study. If you need school to get you to focus 40 hours of your week or more on learning your craft, then by all means, do it. But if you can focus 40 hours a week on learning this in your free time, then don't shell out the 80k for the degree.

Pretty much every art college sucks - they make their money off of passing kids who put in the bare minimum. They may employ people who can teach you, but most of those classes will not teach you much.

However, a school will provide an easy way to meet like-minded people who can give you valuable critique, and expose you to a number of talented and driven folks (who will still be outnumbered by the number of shitty artists).

Ultimately the degree is a piece of paper, nothing more. It has very little value in this industry. Making friendships and connections with folks who are also learning and very passionate about art, however, is a valuable experience that art school can provide. But so can polycount :)
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    If i was in the same situation, i would drop out, buy a kickass computer setup (if you dont have one already) and shop at http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/ for learning material (eat3d is another great place).

Also, focus on your strength first, don't run around like a headless chicken trying to be a skilled artist in every discipline. If you really need a diploma, then get a fine arts degree. That's just my opinion.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, if you are interested in being an animator try Animation Mentor

quote from an animator friend "AM blows Ai out of the water, not even close"
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The one difference between in school as opposed to not is the money - At least here in the UK we take out loans to pay the tuition fees and because of this we arent forced into working... which would be a big time sync.

If youre in a position to sponge a bit then get your head down seriously for a full year and youll grow a fuckton. As much as ive said that I hated my school I didnt hate the luxurys it afforded me -> 3 years without working to play games and work out what I wanted to do, I also didnt dig myself a deep hole either as I was living at home 2/3 years.

This being said though, if youre set on school it could be worth finding somewhere a damn sight cheaper as 80k is a mammoth amount!
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Come to belgium. Not so much money to pay to schools :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, if you are interested in being an animator try Animation Mentor

quote from an animator friend "AM blows Ai out of the water, not even close"

Yes, if you want knowledge and not a degree. AM is a certificate just like VFS, and not a degree program.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I went to the Ai of Washington, then I transferred to another Art Institute (Pittsburgh). GET OUT OF AIW NOW! If the facilities (or lack thereof) didn't scare you off, the fact that its 80k should (plus I think the tuition lock in was gone, so you're going to a shit school for a SHIT TON of money). If you HAVE to go to an Ai.....um, don't?

I can directly relate to what PolyHertz is saying, about getting in too deep before realizing the truth. About halfway in, you start teaching yourself stuff because the teachers don't know it or understand it fully to teach competently. The only benefit of going to an Ai is a Bachelor's degree. Oh wait, you can get that at alot of other (read: CHEAPER) schools and learn so much more. If you want to do art, go to a fine arts school, and post here on PC for the 3D stuff. Digital art is still art: just with the word digital attached. Same fundamentals, different tools.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, the crazy thing is if you include the cost of living for 4 years or so and how much interest you'll end up paying it could easily end up costing you more than double that 80k in the long run. :(
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    WOW! Thats expensive! It would take you at least another 4 years of working in the industry to earn that back :D

For that 80.000 dollar you could:
    - buy a plane ticket to my country(1.000€)
    - rent a house for four years(20.000€ )
    - buy a decent car(10.000€)
    - go to a better school(from what I can make up from the replies)
    - get a better degree(6.000€ for the entire 4 years you'll be going to school, in my country you get a scholarship of about 150-250€ a month, so you basically end up with more money after you completed your study)
    - buy me some beers(30€ ;))
    - be able to legally drink, smoke pot, gamble, visit hookers(ewww), travel europe, meet me(PRICELESS, all of these could be bad for your health tough, especially the last one)
    - buy a plane ticket back to the united states(1.000€) ;)

Hell, even after all that stuff you'd still have about 20.000 dollar left to spend :D

PS: I'd definately encourage you to go to a school, teaching yourself is great for your art skills, but it won't teach you anything about teamwork, project management, communication and all that stuff. It could give you a big advantage against other 'self trained' artists out there if you do it right, especially if you want to move up in the industry(the best art directors aren't always the guys who can draw the prettiest pictures in my experience)
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I agree with kwakkie: the Ais (at least the one I attend) do give you group classes that make you work with other people for the purpose of one product (sometimes you can't choose your group, sometimes you can). But at the same token, you can get this communication/teamwork experience,albeit on a different level, from jobs.
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god... I'm so glad I stumbled upon polycount years ago looking for unreal character models.

Downloading the pandarian brewmaster skin may have just saved my ass a lot of trouble and debt.

No wonder when going to class I had a gut wrenching feeling I was digging myself a huge pit. Like a lot of people said I felt like I was paying people 46 dollars a minute to teach me how to count.

I'm going to catch a lot of shit from my parents for this...

Thank you all so much.

Could I ask a favor, if some people could post anything that would act as a flame shield as I may show this thread to my parents, they pretty firmly believe in getting a degree, suggesting that a portfolio is what really matters to get in to the business,... has not gone well in the past to say the least.

I think I need to definatly find a cheaper school at the very least.

I will probably post agian pretty soon, I'll be able to watch this thread a lot as I have some days off.

I've got a lot to think about.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    kwakkie wrote: »
    WOW! Thats expensive! It would take you at least another 4 years of working in the industry to earn that back :D

- get a better degree(6.000€ for the entire 4 years you'll be going to school, in my country you get a scholarship of about 150-250€ a month, so you basically end up with more money after you completed your study)
    - be able to legally drink, smoke pot, gamble, visit hookers(ewww), travel europe, meet me(PRICELESS, all of these could be bad for your health tough, especially the last one)

Hell, even after all that stuff you'd still have about 20.000 dollar left to spend :D

PS: I'd definately encourage you to go to a school, teaching yourself is great for your art skills, but it won't teach you anything about teamwork, project management, communication and all that stuff. It could give you a big advantage against other 'self trained' artists out there if you do it right, especially if you want to move up in the industry(the best art directors aren't always the guys who can draw the prettiest pictures in my experience)

As someone who has a brother who got his degree overseas - all of those subsidized scholarships, etc, aren't provided for non-citizens, so he couldn't fly over there to take advantage of it :)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    As I said, maybe work on a separate degree, and work on your portfolio. Maybe a degree that ties in a little, like software. That way you have something to fall back on if the industry gets bad (like it is now). Then you keep the parents happy at the same time. Just make sure you focus on your art too (outside of school).
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could I ask a favor, if some people could post anything that would act as a flame shield as I may show this thread to my parents, they pretty firmly believe in getting a degree, suggesting that a portfolio is what really matters to get in to the business,... has not gone well in the past to say the least.

This is tough, but you need to convince them. The main reason I went to Ai(I wanted to go to Gnomon at the time) was because my parents believed a 4 year degree meant something and "at least I could fall back on it if the art thing didn't work out". Well, if that's the attitude you're going to take, you might as well get the cheapest BA you can find because it means as much. Now that I've been out for a couple years, been working since mid '05, they realize that it wasn't the best choice in hindsight.

Not sure what it's going to take for them to understand, but take this example. I did hiring at my last job, and the first thing I looked at when we got an app was the portfolio. If it was good enough, then I looked at the resume, then the cover letter. When it came down to it, the applicant's education played no part in our decision. It was strictly portfolio and personality(interview).

I don't think you should necessarily give up on the idea of going to school, but the path you're on right now is not a good one. The placement rate of graduates is more like 5%, rather than the 95% or whatever they tell you.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Oh my god... I'm so glad I stumbled upon polycount years ago looking for unreal character models.

Downloading the pandarian brewmaster skin may have just saved my ass a lot of trouble and debt.

No wonder when going to class I had a gut wrenching feeling I was digging myself a huge pit. Like a lot of people said I felt like I was paying people 46 dollars a minute to teach me how to count.

I'm going to catch a lot of shit from my parents for this...

Thank you all so much.

I think I need to definatly find a cheaper school at the very least.

I will probably post agian pretty soon, I'll be able to watch this thread a lot as I have some days off.

I've got a lot to think about.

80k for the skills to do

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnfpoW7-FtM[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ImM3E66OnA[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YA-Mgrs4PM&amp;feature=related[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE2fF6fv90Q&amp;feature=related[/ame]

if you feel you HAVE to do a school get a traditional art course and master the bassics
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    How about this:

Dear parents, your son is a highly self-motivated individual and is very confident in his choice to avoid AI (or whatever gaming school). He does not condone school, but rather, he based his decision on numerous advice given by people who actually work in the industry. He is confident that he will propel him self in the learning of all the technical and artistic aspects that is involved in producing quality, industry standard game art.

Financially, it is a very smart choice, as saving $80,000 on tuitions is just a good as earning $80,000 as any qualified accountant will tell you. This monetary prowess can only be attributed to the fantastic upbringing he must of had!

Though, his journey will be difficult and be filled with many obstacles, he has promised to tackle them responsibly and in a mature manner. He will seek employment to satisfy whatever monthly costs he may have, hence removing any finacial burden on you, the parents.

You, as the parents, should be very proud at raising such a fine son. A son who has grown up to make such a mature decision as this!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    those are good reels compared to some I graduated with. not exaggerating.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Echoing what bounchfx said, those reels are better then most I saw whenever going to portfolio presentations. Their were even a few that were comparable to this one, as hard as that may be to believe.
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, everybody. My new game plan is to get out of that school and get into a local community collage to get a degree in Information Tech Security. That way I'll have something to fall back on should I have trouble finding a job. I'm going to go to the school with a lighter weekly load, giving me time to study on my own and probably get a job at UPS or something.

The School is only about 3000 a year for a 2 year course. Much cheaper.

Tomorrow I'm finding out how much money AI is going to wretch from me and face the flames when I tell my parents.

Wish me luck.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Good luck! I hope your parents will understand, hey maybe they will be happy about your good decision although its a bit late. Better late than never though.

Now start a Jesters work thread, join some competitions, fight for Polycount in the Dominance war!
    Cya around debt free! :P
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Sounds like a whole lot of money, even at the end of the course it might not guarantee a job in the industry. For me qualifications are irrelevant unless they are required in a particular profession like a surgeon etc. but I will keep it relevant: So no, as long as you can show consistency in the quality of your work and that you can work to a timeframe, that should be all you need to win over a company seeking new talent. Besides, there are many online resources that will teach you what you need to know, the rest is up to you to discover all the tips and tricks. Practise makes perfect but in this case (imo) qualifications don't.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    after reading through this thread, I'm glad to see you changed your plan Jester! congratulations :) and good luck
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, everybody. My new game plan is to get out of that school and get into a local community collage to get a degree in Information Tech Security. That way I'll have something to fall back on should I have trouble finding a job. I'm going to go to the school with a lighter weekly load, giving me time to study on my own and probably get a job at UPS or something.

The School is only about 3000 a year for a 2 year course. Much cheaper.

Tomorrow I'm finding out how much money AI is going to wretch from me and face the flames when I tell my parents.

Wish me luck.

This is a brilliant move. You can learn for free, everything you would have at AI, here on PC and the internet in general. Except here you're actually learning from industry pros. Just make sure to stay motivated, keep pushing yourself and do atleast one art related task every day, even if its just a sketch, a little work on a model, just do something.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    kwakkie wrote: »

Which better school do you refer to? Im just curious :).