Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Claffy D's Deepest of Grindlifts

Art production has been finished up on DoD for a little while here, and i've gotten permission to show a few assets, Its been a long haul, but it looks like i'll finally be able to say i actually have a finished title on my resume, after some 5 years in the games industry. These assets run from, oh 500, to 10,000 polys, with textures in the range of 256-2048(guns). Sorry but i wont be able to post any of the textures.

Now that the project is up, I am currently working with the FABULOUS fags at 3 Point Studios, so anyone who is interested, feel free to check out the site and get ahold of us.

shots_large_no_really.jpg
smgshot1.jpg
fmg01.jpg
m7lighting.jpg

Replies

• Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Looking awesome from here :D Love the texturework on the guns, needs bigger pics! ^^ The scifi-guns look awesome :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I love the injun-murder cannon. Or, the Face Melting Gun. When do I get to play this beast?
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet looking stuff. Quite an interesting mix of technology.
  • salman_fas
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    the game itself better do the art justice. great work eq.
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really awesome work. been ninja stalking your /pix for a while now.

so will the game ship with the editor/model viewer?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    awesome stuff joe, as always ;)
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Pff, I guess it's alright.
  • ivan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice - love the level of detail on the weapons and props.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    !bigger pics NAO asshole!

*edit*never mind, I`m just not used to the new pic resizer stuff

that space gun is the tits man.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a little bigger, stupid photobucket has max on file size.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/499159/shots_large_no_really.jpg
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW! You really give us noobs something to aspire to! I love your future guns! The one with the magazine attached from the front at an angle is really really sweet! man... good stuff!!

How big is the in game texture sheet for a gun like that?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pistols are 1024x1024 s/d/n, rifles and everything else are 2048x2048. I think there is around 15-20 total guns in the game, these are just a few. =D

Maybe if Dfacto wasn't such a vapid cunt, he could post some of the weapons he did, and some of the concepts as well. Also there is a few more weapons that were a colab (model/texture) between the two of us that i might post sometime later.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    great stuff EQ! Love the sci fi curvy gun.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the tex info, EQ! Again, gnarly work!
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    some nice stuff there. the futuristic guns are really nice. great texture work also. shame you cant show the flats. keep up the good work!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Joe, fantastic work man. WHo're all the artists involved?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Looks Aces! I'm surprised the dude whose concept you borrowed for the assault rifle on the left gave permission for commercial use - I remember you showing it off when you were working on it because the iron sites are super sexy. I really dig the shapes on the FMG, too. The rifle on the bottom right looks a bit awkward, though - I'm not sure how the ejection port and the diagonal piece play with the regular barrel. Love the taped cord on the pistol :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    hah awesome stuff, have fun with the fabulous fags! :D
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    meh HARHAR

Glad to see you post Art dude. Goodluck with the other PoopHead at 3pointMADNESSSSSSSS
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome stuff man! I REALLY like the gramophone on the right and the cannon on the left. Great materials/textures there!
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Some nice texture work, I dig your metal especially. Your normals come off real clean too. Did you use reference for this or were they solely based on concepts?
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This stuff is great, it really shows how much it pays off to do a high poly source for your models.
    Love the cloth wrapped around the rifle.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    Looks Aces! I'm surprised the dude whose concept you borrowed for the assault rifle on the left gave permission for commercial use - I remember you showing it off when you were working on it because the iron sites are super sexy. I really dig the shapes on the FMG, too. The rifle on the bottom right looks a bit awkward, though - I'm not sure how the ejection port and the diagonal piece play with the regular barrel. Love the taped cord on the pistol :)

Yeah that was something where we were just really pushing shapes and forms over function, its one of the best looking, most fun weapons to use in the game too.
    Sandbag wrote: »
    Some nice texture work, I dig your metal especially. Your normals come off real clean too. Did you use reference for this or were they solely based on concepts?

Normals for a lot of these assets are object space, all of the guns actually, and maybe half the props. Just about all of the period weapon and props were based off some sort of reference, maybe exagerated a bit her or borrowed from something else there. The future weapon concepts were all done by Dfacto.

Thxxx to everyone else for the comments, <3
    B1ll, go fux urself.
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marmoset. when? shit looks pro
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, cool. Not sure if you're looking for any critiques on this stuff but there are some weird things going on with some of the objects in the collage.

The right-three vehicles look really flat geometry wise, were there heavy polygon restrictions on these?

The flintlock rifle and Luger both look overly wide, especially the rifle. I know the octagonal barrels for those sharps rifles were really big, but the stock and grip areas are almost twice as wide as they should be. It seems like the trigger guard was made to match that width which also looks incredibly wide. The Luger almost looks slightly inflated or bubbly more than super wide though.

Not sure what's up with the pineapple-stick grenade grenade...Is it just supposed to be an alternate universe/made up take on the german WWII style grenade? Just looks kind of weird to me compared to the classic egg or canister tips. Also it is missing the screw-cap on the end, it looks like it was already removed/primed

The mortar is strangely designed too, it almost looks more like the barrel from a tommygun with some metal bolted to it. The tube of the mortar should be more of a straight cylinder, and the round that goes into it falls all the way into the tube before striking the primer pocket on the round at the bottom of the tube (like a stationary firing pin on a handgun hitting a bullet)

the C4 almost looks more like stone than plastic explosives. Is it wrapped in something or is that a raw block of it? If so it should be a more clean white color with an almost doughy appearence. If it's wrapped it's usually a brownish wax paper.

The handles on the WWI style machine gun are really close to the body, it seems like it would be really hard to fit your hands in there.

The two assault rifles/SMG's near the bottom both have some very strange design choices, but as has been contested already that's just a matter of personal taste. I do think taste aside though it would be nice to see more logical/working forms, I'm not sure how that would handicap making it look cool.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatnumpty wrote: »
    marmoset. when? shit looks pro

There has always been talk of releasing the model viewer, so we'll see what happens after the game is out. As of now there are no official plans, but it is something we would like to do.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    There has always been talk of releasing the model viewer, so we'll see what happens after the game is out. As of now there are no official plans, but it is something we would like to do.

thanks. I hope it comes through.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sci-fi guns get my vote. Nice!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    darkest of dump

nice work! great consistency, colour and contrast.

that jeep's headlights are noticeably lowpoly, seems weird considering how rounded everything else is?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Sandbag wrote: »
    Ok, cool. Not sure if you're looking for any critiques on this stuff but there are some weird things going on with some of the objects in the collage.

The right-three vehicles look really flat geometry wise, were there heavy polygon restrictions on these?

The flintlock rifle and Luger both look overly wide, especially the rifle. I know the octagonal barrels for those sharps rifles were really big, but the stock and grip areas are almost twice as wide as they should be. It seems like the trigger guard was made to match that width which also looks incredibly wide. The Luger almost looks slightly inflated or bubbly more than super wide though.

Not sure what's up with the pineapple-stick grenade grenade...Is it just supposed to be an alternate universe/made up take on the german WWII style grenade? Just looks kind of weird to me compared to the classic egg or canister tips. Also it is missing the screw-cap on the end, it looks like it was already removed/primed

The mortar is strangely designed too, it almost looks more like the barrel from a tommygun with some metal bolted to it. The tube of the mortar should be more of a straight cylinder, and the round that goes into it falls all the way into the tube before striking the primer pocket on the round at the bottom of the tube (like a stationary firing pin on a handgun hitting a bullet)

the C4 almost looks more like stone than plastic explosives. Is it wrapped in something or is that a raw block of it? If so it should be a more clean white color with an almost doughy appearence. If it's wrapped it's usually a brownish wax paper.

The handles on the WWI style machine gun are really close to the body, it seems like it would be really hard to fit your hands in there.

The two assault rifles/SMG's near the bottom both have some very strange design choices, but as has been contested already that's just a matter of personal taste. I do think taste aside though it would be nice to see more logical/working forms, I'm not sure how that would handicap making it look cool.

You scare me a little :)

Kick-ass work! These went straight into my inspirations folder. Flawless. Great normals. Would love to hear more about the cloth around the rifle; how you pulled it off? Because it looks great.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just my 2 cents.

but the gun on the bottom right wouldn't work. the barrel, and bullet release port are at two different angles. as soon as it tried to eject the empty casing it would jam.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that is a whole bunch of great work. I hope you are going to have some serious long and languid relaxation comming up you certainly deserve it.

tim
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag, since this is all commercial work for a finished project, i'm not really looking for crits. I mean i couldn't impliment any of them even if i wanted to at this point. =)

Some of the proportional stuff, was exagerated to look a bit beefier in FPV, in retrospect, maybe a little too much, but it all looks nice in game so i wont worry too much about it.

For a lot of the references we used (grenade, trench rocket, etc) we tried to find some more obscure stuff, i dont have access to all the ref or remember exactly why everything was done, but the basic idea was try to find some lesser know stuff, not your typical stick grenade that has been in every game since the dawn of time etc. As for the machinegun, maybe its just a wierd angle there, its a pretty standard maxim machinegun.

The vehicles, some of that is just based off really flat *real* vehicles, the tank and the warwagon thing, sometimes this just comes down to modeling what your boss tells you to model =) I think i would have liked to go with a bit more interesting design, in retreospect. But really, you can say that about a LOT of things over the course of a project, just comes down to what you have time for. And yeah of course poly limits, i think those models were tangent space and i ended up using more polys just to get good smoothing than i would have liked to.

As far as the future guns, we really tried to stress form over function, it dosent really do us any good if we make this totally advanced, well thought out hyper realistic design, that could totally work in every way possible, if it just dosent look cool in the game. So that was our focus. We wanted to have a bit of contrast between the period weapons, and the future weapons, the ones that i posted were some of my favorite in that regard, theres actually a few more traditional weapons that are a bit more grounded in the game as well.

IN CLOSING

nw_grenade_rocket_01.jpg
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Form over function" is such a cop out though. Why does working right automatically = boring? There are so many real guns that look incredibly cool that all function properly. Function dictates form and function can make very compelling forms. In a game or not, that is a terrible excuse.

I'm sorry my critiques upset you, I realize this is from shipped material and I was hoping they would be helpful down the road on new material. Obscure or not, all of the things I pointed out looked odd and erroneous, and did not come across to me as intentional diversions from more standard weapons/items.

I was genuinely trying to provide useful feedback, I'm sorry if it came across to you as anything else.

As for the trench rocket, even in the photograph the device looks ridiculous, I cant imagine how it even stays upright with such a heavy frontal center of gravity. I would think you would be more interested in Form here and that's a really silly looking form...
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Sandbag, either you are one of those nerds that spend 9/10 of the game looking if everything is real and then nagging in message boards about it instead of actually playing it for fun, or you have an awesome sense of humour.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    lol

EQ, you make modeling boring stuff look incredibly cool, i want to do weapon models now.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    this sir, is just awesome ! Great style and superbe execution :) I want more !!!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    MmmmmmMMMmmm, awesome as usually.

But what really surprised me is that I always thought you have been in the industry for such longer man (judging by your quality of work) what did you do before getting into the industry EQ? (if you don't mind me asking).

Do you guys know when the game will be released?
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although I have an awesome sense of humor, I am indeed one of those nerds.
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Looking real good!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sandbag: You're in the minority - and when you're making an entertainment product (a game) for a mass market, and the mass market wants to see "cool stuff" (guns), they don't care quite so much that the breech/cocking level/recoil mechanism/whatever I don't even know what guns consist of/bits aren't in the right place or in working order.

Take a look at some of the UT weapons, they don't make a huge amount of sense, but they have massive pistons and tanks full of goo that slop around, and parts which rotate and let off steam - we don't care what they're for, they just look massive, mean and death-dealing!

So while your critiques may be valid, I fear you're in a tiny minority here, and everyone else simply doesn't care - I'm not trying to sound callous or condescending, that's just the way it goes with retail/mass market games. And I'm sure you already knew that.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Great stuff.. thanks for posting. :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The transwarp inducer on the FMG is totally in the wrong place!
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    nice stuff!!!!!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason: I've been working in the industry for around 5 years or so, before that some mod/personal work etc. Really i've been doing 3d work for roughly the past 10 years.

Sandbag: I get where you're coming from man, and infact i used to spend a lot more time worrying about all that stuff. The more work i do, the more relaxed i tend to get with those sort of things. After doing so many models, you realize the most important thing with a FPV gun, is how it looks in FPV. Often times this means moving or exagerating details specificly for this view, and that can definitely get in the way or completely defy what some would consider more tradition weapons design. But its all just part of the process, and you gotta focus that time into what the player is really going to see, and not spend too much time worrying about the imaginary stuff(to the player atleast, in most cases) Like modeling internals and other silly stuff like that, that has no use in a commercial production environment.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres another shot of the SMG, with different lighting, showing off some of hte details, and first person view.

smgshot1.jpg
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate your honest response EQ. The new renders look nice, I'm really jealous of how your engine handles metal/specularity. You pulled off the gun-polymer-material nicely. Though I think the white dotty stuff on it is a bit strong (is that from a rubber based overlay?) the materials are very slick.

Out of curiosity, how do you operate that weapon in the game? There isn't any chance of getting to see a reload animation is there? That would be really great. (it would be nice to see how moving spec looks in the engine too...)
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    high standard all round, nice metal!