Home General Discussion

Shoddy games courses.

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Fuck school it's a brainwashing money trap, you can learn the same shit on your own.

Well, if you want to ever work abroad, you need it. Or ten years experience in your field.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    <--- gets the feeling it is only a matter of time before EQ posts "Colin's Bear Animation."
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i didnt do graphics school, you who know me should know that i produce random crap on thje fly that is missing the extra kick of coolness.
    since i taught myself all this things and got frustrated of the fast envolving of the technology im stuck at ut2 with my knowledge and dont seem to get further without help

so i think schools for graphics are neccecary
    because if youre lacking of knowledge about the techniques there comes no creavity
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    thats like saying that if you dont know how to work with a pencil then you have no creativity :P
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Arrangemonk, do you honestly think that teachers who haven't actually worked on a game in years would be up-to-date? I've had one who had no clue about how exactly normal maps are rendered.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ComradeJ wrote: »
    Arrangemonk, do you honestly think that teachers who haven't actually worked on a game in years would be up-to-date? I've had one who had no clue about how exactly normal maps are rendered.

You think THAT'S bad?

lol

(They come WAY worse fella, trust me.)
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    I think that there might be a point in what arrangemonk is saying though. Its not that you dont have any creativity if you cant use a pencil, creativity, you have it or you dont it seems.... but whatever your idea is, if you can see the entire technical process ahead of time as one thought, then you can devote all your thoughts to the design specifically. And thats when you can really produce quality. I think thats what he is saying actually. Not having to worry about the technical side in current-gen 3D shouldnt be played down that much, not to say its impossible, but come on, the learning curve is a little steeper than a pencil.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    hmm..
    ok, maybe i could be a good teacher :D
    but i like scools more than diy skills
    in schools you haver that "we force you to lern that" sheme
    but when you build something at home for fun ,you nerd around discovering a new function, google for some crap, and it ends up searching for trackballs that could replace the right stick of your controller :D

(ends up like for me almost everytime)
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    ok yer on your own with the pro-school thing. They are a scam.. If you cant learn to dedicate yourself to learning something, the thing you will have to do for hours and hours a day everyday plus crunching, and are easily distracted... maybe you should find work in the government??

You have to love the work, period... if you are easily distracted from it, perhaps you dont actually like doing it?

I might have been digging through your translation too much now that i think about it :P