Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Desert wanderer

Replies

• Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    indian_boy, seforin: Thanks alot, I'm about halfway done with the lowpoly right now, its really a pain with all the separate boxes ^^

nrek: thanks alot for the paintover, I'll definately have another go at it later today :) cheers!
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I think you could work some more on the folds on the arms. I think making less of them, but bigger, would look better.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    It is a sexy beast! Have you figured out those legs yet?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the face, got some feedback on it and tried to remedy that. still not feelong finished with the face.

and oh yeah, Ive started working on the legs now, finally ^^

Face6.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    heh cool stuff, i like how the face is progressing.
    nrek's paintover with the bag is exactly what i was trying to suggest originally, I think it'd really help give it some "weight" instead of just looking like it's floating at his side.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Test-normalmap for the face/head. Just a screengrab som xnormal, and I forgot to add his mic to the scene, but..well, I'll post it anyway ^^
    Heads.jpg
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW. major props man. this looks absolutely beautiful. so much detail ZOMG. i especially love the straps under his jaw. very good. very inspirational.

ah yea, congrats on placing in the unearthly. to be honest, i thought your guys' stuff looked way better than ours and was expecting you to place somewhere in top 3. :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It feels like something is missing on the face...but I can't for the life of me figure out what. Great progress on all of it though
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    maybe its the eyes? hehe. definitely looks hawt! can we see wires on the low test bake?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Man, that looks great. My only crit so far would be that I think the details in the mustache could be more crisp. Its still wip I know, you probably just haven't gotten to it yet.
    I'm really enjoying your progress here.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    processed great! funky seam in the middle of the head though! :o

looks awesome :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the seam is xnormal doing the funky dance, not really a seam there, actually :D Im gonna polish it up and post the complete bake soon, hopefully, cheers!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    God that looks tasty man!
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    this is dope.

sexy.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice model!

Just two things:
    1. There's a seam in the middle of his head... probably due to unwelded UVs, insufficient dilation pixels or unclamped [0,1] UVs.

2. Are you using the vector displacement mapping feature or is your model planned for a normal mapped engine? The VDM could give you more detail for the mustache, etc... but you'll need to place the seams very well.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know about the seam, I get that alot in xnormal... doesnt show anywhere else though, not in game engines, other 3d-programs or anything... no one else get that problem? Its not because of the dilation pixels :/

I'm using normalmapping. :) The moustache will get more detail from the texture and the normalmap I will derive from that, if that is not enough in the end, I'll go back and add in extra detail in the highpoly mesh :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a mip-mapping issue. By default i think xnormal uses like the worst possible mipping. Try going into your 3d card settings, and forcing on anisotropic filtering, at like 2x or 4x or something, should fix the problem.

Padding should also help, its not enough to just have it set to like 2 or something, if its getting mipped from 1024 down to 128 or lower, you need a lot more padding. i usually do 12-16 for my padding. because hey, you can never have too much padding.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, okay, thanks alot for the tips :D

Yeah, I usually have the padding set to 8 or something, as much as the UVmap allows for :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Sweet progress! Agreed the facial details look a little too smooth but textures can sharpen all that up. Absolutely love the design of back of the head, how many poly's are you at so far?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some fast texturework :] Haha, I actually copypasted tom sellecks moustashe to his face for fun, it fitted perfectly! ^^ haha :D Anyway, this is the direction I was thinking of with the textures.
    texture1.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The polycount is abit high at the moment, the baking-version is not fully optimised, when Im done with all the tweaks im gonna pull it down as far as I can without loosing too much shape. Right now its 19 k, im gonna pull it down to 16k, I think.

texture5.jpg
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd probably say make the red on the ear piece a bit deeper in shade and maybe integrate the red and yellow of the helmet into other parts of the clothing.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i agree with that. here's a minor update. will post wires of him later.

texture6.jpg
    texture6b.jpg
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff! Color really did it, good choices. With all the crispy detail put in everywhere else though, I keep waiting for that mustache to not be so darn smooth - just overlaying fine strands to the normalmap would do it I think. Goggles look like mini aquariums :) Awaiting spec-map!
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    This is looking sweet. You just need to dirty him up and work on the materials a bit... especially the cloth shader. Maybe a bit of a dusty falloff. The leather straps should have some wear on the edges as well. Also if he's a desert wanderer then he may be sunburned or have skin blemishes and freckles or leather like skin from years of sun exposure. I know its not finished and all I'm just throwing it out there.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, right now I'm still laying out base materials, but I totally agree about the wear and tear. I'm working my way down, so to speak :) Also I have a tendency to do the face last, haha, but that moustache needs some love ASAP ^^ Thanks for the feedback :)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    This thread is inspiring! I cannot wait to see the finished thing :) keep at it!
  • misterboogie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    misterboogie polycounter lvl 11
    Dope man! This rocks!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more texturing, and some specmapping this time aswell :) I'm gonna try to finish it before dominancewar :p

texture8.jpg
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Really cool. Put a big fucking dent in that metal ball backpack... I don't think it would make it better, it was just totally impulsive.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work mate, that made my day!
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Random Thought: You might want to put the cups upside down on his belt, or give them a cover, if he's traveling the wasteland, there'll end up being blown sand in there in no time...
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking really cool Snefer! There's a lot of nice detail going on right now, the thing that is bothering me about the textures so far is how brown the entire palette is currently leaning towards. If you just do an 'auto color' in PS on the renders I feel going more in that direction makes it easier to look at, and if you go back in and emphasize certain areas they will stand out more. Just my opinion, but it's looking good.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i think the colors are pushing a little too brown as well,- is it a byproduct of your lighting maybe?

right now, it just looks like the diffuse is the specular, which may be the case. this guy is lookin sweet though! Try popping the different surfaces a little more by dropping color into your spec.

oh yeah, and kill that aliasing junk, this isnt low-poly shit! :) smooth edges!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I also noticed its a bit too brown atm. I just got his legs in, and I'm playing around with the colours a bit. I want to keep the color of the glove and helmet, so I try to break it off by changing the color of his sleeves. And I promise I will use AA next time, haha :D

X-Convict: yeah, i see what you mean. I'm gonna try to make him pop more with stuff like small decals etc to break it up. Get some more red in there.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEGS! And some optimisation. He's 18k tris now, the gear adds quite alot of polys, unfortunately. Gonna try to pull it down as far as I can withour ruining anything ^^ Still working on the profile of the legs to make them less boring, and the texture there needs alot of improvement :] I played around with the colours a bit. Less brown clothes.

texture9.jpg
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Camel Spurs! (which also double as hump knifes should a desert ton-ton situation arise...)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Jeezus...you sure did crank out some textures pretty quick! Nice work man and I agree, the boots are crying for some sort of addition. Compared to the rest of the model, it seems a bit bare down there. That's a nit pick though ;-)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    finally a render with the legs that was bugging me for quite a while (it was obvious each time). Colors are nice though strong contrast (but that seems to be your style) - strong yellow/orange tint (propably the light).
    The box at his hips are imo. a design break in the flow - its edgy, low poly and plain texture deisgn wise.
    I like his legs though I think that the safari rings on top of his boots are odd and do not match the overal style its distracting when looking from the back (front not so noticeable).

his hat would propably on the other side assuming that his hand is more flexinle as his robotic arm. I assume the hat would be the most switched item in real life if he really is living in a hot area or he likes to cover his identity personal wise.

Some bottles and cups in his crotch area would be seriosly in the way when walking or moving his legs so placing them more in the chest area might be the best place (the area with no less movement in the whole body)

some dirt on his boots (mud, dried sand, smal rocks) would add some realism perhaps some soaked or wet places as well or some oil tints/ drips
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    i agree with RenderHjs the boots look like they haven't interacted with the environment he is in at all. But again, you probably just haven't gotten to it yet.
    I'm really digging your texture work, amazing work man!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, his legs are kind of bare right now, but as you already figured out, its just base textures down there, the boots will be more worn and dirty as I proceed with the texturing. :)

As for the hat, I wanted it to hang on that side because that is his "heavy" side, he will be walking with a walking stick, and I wanted a more interesting profile, so I ended up putting all the heavy stuff on one side, so that he will be leaning slightly against his stick. I agree about the box, its kind of ofputting right now, I'm gonna texture it and see how it looks, if it doesnt work out I'll have to figure out something else.

as for spurs, maybe, maybe not... hmmm, have to think about that ^^ thanks for the feedback, its appreciated :)
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpoly! A bit under 18 k, gonna try to pull it down to 17, don't want to loose too much of the shapes in the face etc, and the glove, equipment and helmet eat alot of polys. Not entirely final, but kinda close.

lowpoly.jpg
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    cool stuff. What's your texture sizes? Whatre you rendering out of?

I noticed you integrated a lot of the topology of your equipment into the body while others stayed separate. Looks like the bag for example is a bit of half and half. What's your thoughts on how you wanted to bake down all of this stuff for normal mapping?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The texture sizes are 2*2048. I'm rendering in lightwave atm :)

Basically I want to keep the mesh in as few pieces as possible. The bag was built like that because I didn't want to make the entire strap around his body, that would cost alot of polys and not look very smooth, but I still wanted the bag to have some cool bounce and be animatable. Makes baking a lot more painful, but its worth it ^^
  • rossco1111
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice concept!
    like it!