Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Project Resurrection

Replies

• HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HaloAnimator polycounter lvl 18
    What's up everyone, just about ready to put the finishing touches on Shadow here...just finished up with the hair (whew!) and putting everything together... I also altered her face so that is she much closer to how a Japanese woman would actually look...the other face wasn't working for me...

I hope to render this character inside of Unreal Ed and get a taste of what it will be like working with that engine. There is an environment map on some of Shadow's body and props, particularly her tanto and choker accessories.

Still trying to get XSI to see the alpha in my diffuse texture (currently using a separate clip map)

Stay tuned...about to work on the pedestal...feel free to critique.

3353456167_9ea92d4a4e_o.jpg3353456043_4db47a5a60_o.jpg3354279010_4c7f451fec_o.jpg3353455749_903cd4238c_o.jpg
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    here's a tip: dont give your model a camel toe on purpose lol! :D
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boobs, Thighs, Face And Hands need work buddy' She needs to be sexy and perfect. There are too many manly Features in this- I don't know what else to say, but I think you missed, But its nothing to get discouraged about. takes practice.. Sorry
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, after over 3 months of personal turmoil and distractions, I can safely call this model done...there is nothing more i can really do to it except show you my vision of this character... grin.gif I am still learning how to model for games and I enjoyed working on this model. Now I will have a go at placing her in the Unreal Editor just to get a feel for it...

Well, here are some renders of the model with specs (Mental Ray)... for the final bit of it, I kind of want to place the original game footage in the background, just to make it feel complete...

Stay tuned for the next one, and enjoy...

3388222987_f3999cdeb2_o.jpg

3389031558_cdc0c68926_o.jpg
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    Looks pretty good to me,here are some crits.
    The spec on her arm and stomach seems to much.
    Her nose looks to short,this could be due the eyes being to low.
    Some more color variation would be good i think.
    The crotch is to low,or her legs to short.
    I know i'm late with these comments,but i hadn't seen this thread before.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Hi,

It's far to late for revisions but i thought i'd offer some suggestions.

One thing is always NAIL your prep work before shelling out so much time on something, do it, then do it again, then if it looks right DO IT AGAIN just to make sure.

I can't express how important preparation work is, a nice pile of orthos and designs can make the whole thing BETTER and EASIER while also taking out pretty much most of any revising of a model.

You got your proportions awfully bad right from the start, it's most painful when its a girl too, it really comes out because how women are mostly expressed with beauty n measure rather than brawn n beef.

Your girl looks like a man, not many forms suggest a women, its far beyond a manly girl too. Women are all about subtlety and curves, softs shapes and suggestive tone. Muscles most of the time are undefined and hidden. You have pretty much put 100% in defining every crease and muscle, this is going to make anything look old, bulky, podgy and ugly.

I would suggest for you to get a pile of reference and always compare what you have and what you are aiming for to get a fine-line between them.

I did a quick 10min paint-over to perhaps help to carry over my advice.

3389534763_d4fa6238f3_o.jpg

One quick law is that the top of the eye and the bottom of the nose are the guide for the size and position of the ear. The edge of the lips also dictate the position of the pupil on the face.

Another quick note that the neck goes straight up into the cranium, rather than a curved bloated line.

Bah, anyway, i applaud your persistence and determination. Good luck with your next model.
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey RobG, thanks a bunch for the paintover. I was really trying to nail this as carefully as possible...but i did miss this a little...I tried setting the eyes up but i didn't like how it looked after. i do know some females personally who have that jaw shape as originally and a nose kind of like that, but I will keep your paintover burned in my head... i did use a live model that had a jawline and body like that and it matches up almost perfect. And I used my girlfriends' build for the character reference for her abs. Stay tuned for the next one.

movento: Thank you for your feedback as well...I do agree about the specular on the arms and stomach...they are a bit much, but i wanted to ensure that when I set this model inside Unreal, it would show up with the speculars. And yes, the crotch is kind of low, I wish i could fix this now but i want to move on to the next. Also, I don't paint lighting in my textures since i want to ensure that I can get a cinematic feel to my models...

Stay tuned brothers...
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    just a quick comment about boobs. I realize this is based on some real life ref, but your character looks like shes wearing a very supportive top. You might want to lift those boobs up a bit, into a bit more traditionally "heroic" look.
    elektra.jpg
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey jay...loving the booby talk lol...I think you are totally right about raising her boobs up a little bit... I even have then jiggling in the model's rig...It is kind of too late to go back and fix them but I will definitely keep this in mind when I working on the next female character...

Stay tuned for the next one...
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, I am starting yet another character from the Eternal Champions series, and this one will definitely raise some eyebrows when I am got through with it. This character is named Midknight, a vampyre who was once a biochemist in 1967, when a freak accident turned him into what he is. So far I have only focused on concept art (a lesson learned from the last project i did) to try and see how far I can take the fact that Midknight refuses to kill anyone to sustain himself. And as a result, his body is slowly decomposing leaving only a part of his face left.

Here is his bio (from the game Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side):

Mitchell worked for the CIA on loan from Interpol. Born in
    London, Mitchell was one of the best bio-chemical scientists
    working in the intelligence community. The CIA needed
    Mitchell to work on a bio-chemical weapon to end the Vietnam
    War. Mitchell created a virus that would weaken its victims
    until they hung near death, waiting for the antidote. The virus
    was to be introduced into the water supply of Vietnam, but
    Mitchell wouldn't stand for that much human destruction. He
    stole back his formula and fled back to London to hide.
    Unfortunately, Mitchell was cornered at the airport by both
    interpol and CIA agents. During the escape, Mitchell fell
    from a nine-story building into a chemical storage used by the airport.
    The force of the impact broke the seal of the virus
    container and released the virus into the chemical vat. This
    mixture creasted an unexpected result. Mitchell was trans-
    formed by the mixture into a living vampire. Using his new-
    found cunning and strength, Mitchell escaped and fled to
    London where he spent the next 133 years vainly searching
    for a cure for his disease. No longer identifying with his past,
    Mitchell came to be known as Midknight.

The cure had become more important since the goverment
    used the virus during the Vietnam War by using the contents
    of the airport chemical vat. Many of the third-world countries
    were now over-run with living vampires. Midknight was also
    running out of time because his body, with the exception of
    his neck and face, was rotting away. This rotting was due to
    the fact that Midknight wouldn't kill another person to renew
    his life energy. Midknight was about to solve the last hitch
    in the antidote when a government agent killed him by firing
    a firing a magnesium stake through his heart.

Now that is out of the way, here is some of the rough sketches that i put together
    for Midknight. Still working on rotting up his face bad enough to show the tension of
    his decay and also going to figure out how I am going to achieve this look in zbrush. And
    also his colour pallette will be overlaid on top of the sketches (purple is not working for me)

Well, Enjoy. And the model will come soon, stay tuned.

3411340339_ddb0226618_o.jpg
    3411338645_6df5a93ee3_b.jpg
    3412144338_d0cbde75f2_b.jpg
    3409877353_a4ff3bafe9_b.jpg
    3410683662_be81315752_b.jpg
    3409520918_ee29f18228_o.jpg

3411404805_b79f02e35c_b.jpg

• JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is perfect...exactly what I need for this character...i also got this book called The Color Atlas of Human Anatomy to help... :) stay tuned
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick colour pallette idea for Midknight...I need to make the wounds nastier...suggestions?

3450215767_354c6d6e2a_b.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry.. but this dude seems to be falling to the same fate as your last char. Visually nothing is interesting. I look at the original and try to compare yours to it and I can't even see how they're similiar.

The original shows him actually having muscle mass. I think you could make him more interesting with beefing him up more and still convey the rotting away look. His description says his body is rotting... not shriveling up due to anorexia.

Also, it usually helps when designing a char to do small thumbnails for shape, sillouhette etc... instead of just jumping into a pose. I think of a lot of whats hurting this now is the pose is awkward. Its a mix between rawr!!!! and omg I have a broomstick up my ass and I can't walk.

hope it helps.
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey dude, thanks for the feedback... I was kind of imagining someone who is very malnourished. Although I do like the original too...this idea popped into my head after i saw the machinist and how Christian Bale looked in the film.

For me, it didn't make much sense for me to keep him muscular for the fact he lived 133 years and I don;t think he would be hitting the gym. But i will try to retain some muscle mass, maybe keep him nice and lean. But i am thinking more realistically of how a 100+ year old person would look with wrinkled skin and old bones.

Stay tuned. I am trying to get the model sheet to look emaciated... :)
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all...I am just popping in to share a few updates on this new character. I am still working on the proportions of this model and prepare it for sculpting. It will not look like it is now once i get it through the phase of zbrushing it.

here is a look at the model as it currently is. Still needs some more stuff like the belt on his pants to hold them up, some proportion fixes so that i can get him close to his skinny lean look (I've been using Zbrush for that).

I do have a question about modelling cloth, is it necessary to add cloth thickness if it is for a game model?

Stay tuned...

3481155564_8561e31e83_o.jpg

3481155400_c15647ccda_o.jpg
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, just a little update on Midknight here...working on him in Zbrush trying to get him to look very gross and hard to look at. He is far from finished as I am looking to get him closer to the nastier version that I am looking for. I am working on the organic parts first so i can get the skin to look very withered and lithe.

Any feedback would be awesome...thank you and stay tuned

3489576282_5aabff3121_o.jpg
    3488761677_72a060eca2_o.jpg3489576106_63f0f3b734_o.jpg
    3488761519_ac7b14e5e0_o.jpg3483233358_2e8f88c965_o.jpg
    3482416889_b3e855b8cd_o.jpg
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, what's up? Here is a post of the latest progress on Midknight... I must say I am having a lot of fun with this guy...he's sort of resembles a regular customer at the Home Depot that I work at (without the wounds of course). Still working on him though...need more dead skin C&C would be awesome...

3494155186_f457b0ac2a_o.jpg3494155284_57c4a2e23e_o.jpg3493338207_083d3db424_o.jpg:)
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good morning (an evening in some places) Just posting some updates on Midknight...still working on his legs...and trying to get it as rotten as I can...

3497193184_348dfdcc24_o.jpg
    3497192680_69e9e12778_o.jpg
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, posting an update on this character with some texturing, trying to make this guy look very dead. I still have to work on the bone grain and aging more of him. C&C is welcome. Stay tuned.

3522220454_1a316346e6_o.jpg
    3522220720_bfb4a1f503_o.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Haha that texture is rad
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude....stay tuned for some more nasty stuff coming up
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, i have a quick question, now that I am kind of stuck on this part. How would u want wrinkles on a garment to flow on lets say on a ripped coat like on this model (The ripped areas are in grey). This model is going to be normal mapped and i want to make sure it looks right. Any suggestions would be great... thanks

Here is a pic of what i have so far...

3534136949_9f4639558f_o.jpg

thanks
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    While I admire your effort and persistence I feel like your doing to much. It would benefit to start doing studies, and doing heads over and over. Each of your models is falling into consistent anatomy errors that carry from one to the next. You should look into doing more life drawing and picking up some bridgemen material. Your heads tend to appear very flat with very little care to the underlying bones and muscle groups. Try picking a certain piece of the human body every day and just drawing it from reference over and over from different angles. You'll be shocked how much you improve.

Hope I'm not being to harsh, goodluck!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    this one fits perfectly in it's bounding box
    3482416889_b3e855b8cd_o.jpg
    I think it needs a lot of vertex pushing from other views than front, left, top ect. so that it looses this box look (same happens with box modeling stuff)

and the girl on the top has a sphere head (you started with a sphere ?) and to big low boobs - they look wrong. Almost sacky like a grandma's ones.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with ericdigital before you go any further you really need to push your anatomy skills. I would start out drawing and sketching real people and sculpt different body parts in Zbrush. You could even crank out 3 pencil sketches a day. I don't mean to sound harsh but rather have someone give you this advice now than later.
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good morning everyone, here are some renders of the model so far taken from Mental Ray, it is still a work in progress...I intentionally tinted the light blue so that i could simulate moonlight

I am learning how to use the Unreal Editor to really show this model in real time, and I can use some tips on embedding things like transparency mapping for torn clothes and everything else. Stay tuned.

3589330020_8e2b0d507c_o.jpg3589376788_61b9ec7a08_o.jpg
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Those are some really small hands
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey entity...i can see where you are coming from about the hands... nothing scaling up can't fix. Stay tuned :)
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone...i think i am at a crossroads with this character. Here is some final renders on this guy before I start my comps on him. The blood was an afterthought and it seems people like it more this way...

3623341559_dd68ef1a29.jpg

This next one with the main light on.

3623341661_ee7af4b364_o.jpg

3623080171_e1b0b6b7f6_o.jpg
    Final pose before i comp the model...

Let me know what you think

Stay tuned.
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey All...after finishing up on Midknight in my Project Resurrection thread, i felt compelled to place this one in it's own thread to garner more interest. Anyway, I am now working on the next model that is inspired from my favourite game and I am really going to enjoy this one, because prehistoric figures are my favourite.

In the sketches, I decided to do away with the over the shoulder style clothing and go a little more primal in this one, with the loincloth and the "scarf". He will be pretty much intact except for the clothing and a fiercer appearance. I hope you like the concept art and more will be on the way...

3660909873_fc8c515233_o.jpg
    3661674108_0250eac6a1.jpg

3658354546_498ca86fd6_o.jpg
    3648832694_61df60f4eb.jpg
  • Enlighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enlighter polycounter lvl 13
    wow,

impressive development journal. Keep up the solid work man.
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man...i am still trying to work on the head and model sheets before I start working on it in 3d...
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone...here is some more sketches of my next character trying to get the model sheet right before i start going into 3d... as for the head, i am still trying to get a very fierce look with it... and soon with GoZ, I can do all of my tweaks and mould the head into what I want...

His hairy mane, will make up for most of the head...

Stay tuned.
    3696030674_08e65dddfc_o.jpg
    3695220671_120ef4fa71_o.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    while I have respect for the effort work and to a degree execution... but whats really wrong with most of the pictures here are the basics (not 3d technical related, you seem to do fine there).
    Proportions are mostly off and line ductus of the drawings is sloppy and it often looks rather like fan drawing instead of professional piece [sloppy execution, less time spend, not good enough prepared,...]

The last drawing actually improved for some reason ? did you perhaps looked at reference materials there or used them? While a bit generic proportions and line flow look more natural and consistent.
    If I am not mistaken other people here already pointed out to have a look at anatomy references but I will repeat that another time: use reference material otherwise it will look crap!
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup...i actually used myself as reference in various poses and carefully drew them...i kind of love the sketchy feel to it...you know, very grungy. I am also using an anatomy atlas to help with the details when I go into 3d...

and what the hell is a ductus?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    ductus means stroke width in typo and graphic language. Its often used to express the change from thick to thin and vise versa.
    Dynamic width variation in your drawing strokes (ductus) can give a drawing more expression and a dynamic impression
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh okay... thanks for the explanation on that... I tried a little trick earlier with taking the clean lines and copying them...and blurring the copy... I am thinking to maybe make the lines much bolder on the outside... kind of similar to a comic...

Hopefully i can get the ball rolling on the model soon... I am using my body as a ref...
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    I love this thread... top shelf.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Just make sure you dont rush through the models. Take youre sweet time with them and polish them as much as you can. This way,you will have few quality models instead of many rushed ones. Try to break through and evolve (forcefully i must add) with each character :)

Good luck! :D
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks butt...I was trying to see how fast I can do a model...but you have a point. I'll take my sweet time although with 2-3 wks...i'll be done with this guy.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    agree that you should time more and take notice of what you do wrong with the last model and take that info to help make the next better. Your spec maps are something you should really take another look at and work on more. Everything tends to be really really shiny. Also your diffuse maps come off as being really flat and one color. Ad some contrast and more colors. gl :)
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude... I usually treat my game models as if they were going to be rendered at Film Quality...i normally use ZB for my texturing and I use AO and Cavity maps in my texturing. Here is a texture sheet for my vampire. I normally treat these as if i were painting human skin for a CG film. I also reference the look for models like in Virtua Fighter 5, which look pretty damn real...

And fight night round 4 is good looking too :)

3639483819_9898bc3dd1_b.jpg

And in that last render of my vamp, i don't know why the spec appeared like that...I thought i fixed it. Here is the actual finished model with the correct spec map:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CAcDHNOejW4/Sjk2Vsawq9I/AAAAAAAAABY/lHgbBwx6Z3g/s1600-h/Promo-Render-1.jpg

Drives me crazy though. But i will take my time on the next one. Wanted to see how fast i can create a character. Stay tuned for some Primal rage...
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is one in Unreal...i was messing around in it...

3593688763_d37e966acf_b.jpg
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Everyone...

I have been keeping this model under wraps for a while so that i can work on it and stuff. Today I have some screen caps from last week when I worked on him. I still need to figure out how I am going to do the hair for his head but that will come later. Anyway, I hope you will enjoy the progress.

So far, I have been in ZB just tweaking the hell out of this guy smile.gif... Stay tuned.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2477...2eb4f8400_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645...3d6f752a2_o.jpg
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone...after a great weekend, i am looking to share some more progress on Slash. I am still trying to get the skin nice and dirty with mostly ash and more dirt. May end up going back to ZB to tweak a few things. I am kind of stuck at the moment with trying to get a proper hair solution for the loincloth and scarf without going above my poly count.

as for the face, thinking of a grizzly adams look for him. Some feedback would be awesome.

Stay tuned.

3809243903_6c02b3e630_o.jpg
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, other than just repeating what everyone else has said here, I'll go a different path.

First off, I am also a fan of Eternal Champions, I miss this game. And I find it very cool when fans take time to do fanwork for classic games, be it in sketching, painting or 3D. I love old-school. Anyways, you are like a jack of all trades, you can do plenty of stuff. All you need is some refining in different areas. References are important, but so is being able to pull stuff right out of your mind. Keep up the good work and persistence.
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, here are a few more shots of this beast...finally ready to tweak the body a little bit and fix some areas that are a bit off...I was looking at the forearm and noticing how jagged it was (kind of my fault since i often twist the edges on my forearms).

Now, i am off to draw for next several hours.

BTW, I actually changed the club since i loved how scary it looked...wasn't sure about the spikes :) But after some convincing play time, i decided to use this one instead.3849163864_3666a0a48b_o.jpg

3840702978_da8fe2c2a1_o.jpg
    3842028312_ee5538de0a_o.jpg

And a render from Marmoset

3847555540_0357228bb3_b.jpg
  • psychoticprankster
    I like your models. espeacialy the Zombie.
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, after being gone for a long while with a really bad cold and a new work flow...here is some progress on my pirate model, who still needs a lot of refinement and detail tweaks. Most of the modeling has been done in Zbrush which is one of the COOLEST things I've done.

here are some captures from ZBrush on her first costume... Feel free to give some C n C... stay tuned.

4083813250_59d93839da_o.jpg

4083813136_206b083cfe_b.jpg