Home General Discussion

Cliches that need to be put to rest.

Replies

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    comedy film trailers that end with the name of the film in chunky red letters bouncing onto a white background
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    comedy film commercials, usually animated, with the main character running right into the camera at the last 2 seconds IM LOOKING AT YOU DREAMWORKS
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    CG animation where a character - usually female, always skinny - does that exasperated forward-leaning arms-flapping-and-dangling gesture, that just makes everything look like Woody from toy story.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Games lacking color saturation.

Space marines.

Japanese RPGs with turn-based combat.

Survivor horror games with shitty combat controls.

Kids who's balls haven't dropped being allowed to use voice chat.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Rox wrote: »
    Augh, stop it! There is no "next gen" yet!

I'm sorry it's called seventh generation.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    pliang wrote: »
    I'm sorry it's called seventh generation.

I don't even see why it's necessary to name the generation of consoles that play the games which you're referring to. I'd say "modern" games, and in fact, the use of excessive bloom started before the current generation of consoles came out. See, for example, Burnout Revenge and Far Cry Instincts on the old Xbox. Burnout also suffered from the "brown is realistic" type design that automatically tends to come with tons of bloom.

And that was before the current gen consoles!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, stop whining about the use of the term 'next gen'. People are using it now, and it's used to refer to the first gen of pixel-shaded, normalmapped stuff, mostly. It was a stupid idea to call it next-gen in the first place, but now we're stuck with it, and calling it 'current gen' is even more stupid, as it means we'll be calling the next generation of consoles 'next-gen' again. It's fucking stupid, stop it.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Actually, calling it next-gen made sense when it was the next generation. The next generation SHOULD be called next-gen as it stands for next generation. Why's that stupid?

But like I said, you rarely need to refer to an actual generation of consoles, so "gen" itself should go away. Hopefully it will, around the time the actual next generation shows up and people get entangled and confused about which generation is which.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox: It doesn't make sense. Not now that 'next-gen' has become a way to describe the gen of pixel-shaded games. It's now the identifying term for that generation, and can no longer be used to describe the next generation of games consoles. It's been ruined.

And bloody good too, since it's stupid to refer to a generation as being 'the next one'. Give it a number or something, if you feel like referring to it as being a generation.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    are we still referring to HL2 and Doom 3 as next-gen then?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    danr wrote: »
    are we still referring to HL2 and Doom 3 as next-gen then?

This really now grinds my gears.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Rox: It doesn't make sense. Not now that 'next-gen' has become a way to describe the gen of pixel-shaded games. It's now the identifying term for that generation, and can no longer be used to describe the next generation of games consoles. It's been ruined.

Oh, see, it's a matter of interpretation. The phrase makes sense. The way people use it doesn't make sense. But enough of that, I'm done.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Barley clothed women in environments that don’t support the costume choices. Hence a cold post apocalyptic world where the woman is wearing spandex and a corset!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    your mom is next-gen
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Cody wrote: »
    your mom is next-gen

I see what you did there. :thumbup:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Giant insectoid enemies in games.

Level bosses with multiple appendages that must be destroyed one at a time.

In-story rationalization for game-specific elements like save points, ostensibly to maintain suspension of disbelief; but that always end up doing the opposite by hokeying up the gameworld. (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, ENTIRE SURVIVAL HORROR GENRE)
  • Mr GetDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr GetDown polycounter lvl 18
    As much as it's a silly argument, and your almost arguing the same point, I got’to back Rox
    I'm pretty sure my next generation poop becomes stale around the same time I do another one oO ...doesn't matter if people didn't take a whiff or not, tis what it tis, poop!.... what was I talking about again?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next-Gen has spilled over into other things. I've heard politicians talk about Next Gen health care and someone on the radio was talking about the Next Gen of light rail in our area. It doesn't matter whats it's being used for its officially over used, but I think this is just the tip of the Next Gen iceberg.

We just need some young urbanite to make the phrase cool and immortalize it in some catchy song that goes main stream, so McCain supporters can start using it. The sad thing is, they think they're current Gen. But the obituaries say otherwise.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Use of fast cuts and grainy "old timey" filters in videos to make things seem more "horrific".
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i dont like fat drunk chicks liing around somewhere yelling "im so fucking drunk"