Home General Discussion

Cliches that need to be put to rest.

Replies

• spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    I am sure i am not the only one who noticed the string of generic mainstream anime designed to sell cards and toys(Yu-gi-oh, backugan, narito). Every time one of those shows comes on I wanna pull my hair out...i usually just change the channel. You can predict every show from beginning to end; all dialog with everyone having deep seeded issues with their opponent. I actually sat through an episode of Narito(not sure the spelling) and I was able to predict when the flashbacks were going to happen, and when they were going streamout a long bit of diolog, as well as when someone in the croud was going to interject to reimphasize the issue like they really care. "How could he, that style of fighting was...blah blah blah!" and when it is all said and done, if you were to cut out all that stuff the entire fight would only last about 15 seconds. So much time explaining the mechanics of each fight move. and someone said earlier about the perma-angerface, anime has a horrible problem with that. everyone looks constipated in those Dragonball cartoons lol.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    The use of Lux Aeterna for trailer music.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    The use of Lux Aeterna for trailer music.

I smile every time I hear that. Mostly because I'm a massive fan of Mansell's soundtrack music and the films he composed for. And he doesn't get enough credit!

I guess I'll add one.

I hate it when everyone assumes that just because someone is Canadian, means he wants to talk about hockey.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Saidin311 wrote: »
    I hate it when everyone assumes that just because someone is Canadian, means he wants to talk about hockey.

You're just saying that cuz the Leafs suck.

:D
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I don't even like hockey, eh!!
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    jox wrote: »
    You're just saying that cuz the Leafs suck.

:D

That's a cliche that needs to be put to rest too. Not everyone from Toronto is a Leaf fan! :poly124:

(go preds go)
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I very much never want to see those normal to super slow motion shots in 3D animated films. They always look bad, and usually make bad jokes even more unbearable to watch. :S
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    ebagg wrote: »
    Characters that have very little 'character' to them, yet people become fanboys of them. Whyyy the fuck are people so into Master Chief? Why did people think Gordon Freeman was so awesome? They are basically blank slate characters you control, but what makes you identify at all with them?

That's the trick, though. The only qualities that are obvious with Master Chief are his strength and heroism and willingness to sacrifice himself to save our home planet. All noble, stereotypical things. The whole idea behind a character like that is to make a blank slate for players to paint their own face on. It works on me, for Master Chief. That's also why they never removed his helmet, because it might actually put more distance between the player and the character. Like how I'd really rather not play as a middle-aged scientist with a beard and glasses if I can help it. Why can't I go shave in-game? I'd want to!

Besides, the Chief has a lot of character to him, if you look in other places. The Halo games are primarly designed to be games, interactive actiony things. Then they made all those damn books for people who care more about what went on behind the scenes. That's where you'll find all the in-depth character stuff.

Yeah, I'm a fanboy alright....

Here's a clich
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup!

edit: this was in response to tgz, on page 2. I'm not fully awake yet.

Also, give me Gordon over Master Chief anytime!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Promises of tax cut by politicians.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Space marines have been around since Heinlein's Starship Troopers, and that was written about 30 years ago.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »
    SCORE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We3
    I found it when I suddenly remembered 'Grant', which turned out to be the first name of writer Grant Morrison.
    Behold, robo-dog, -cat and -rabbit:
    250px-We3.jpg

sweet. going to check that out. art looks good too!! :D
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Darth Tomi wrote: »
    Space marines have been around since Heinlein's Starship Troopers, and that was written about 30 years ago.

Actually, he coined the term much earlier in his book Misfit, back in '39

...and Starship Troopers came out about 50 years ago
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    talking about when space marines were invented
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    single scar over eye.

happy endings.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    talking about when space marines were invented

Nooooooo!
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    Nooooooo!

Long drawn out exclamations of "Nooooooo!" when a character has been defeated, rendered ineffectual, or has been delivered bad news...:poly004:
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Actors saying they like the role because the character is smart.

Actresses saying they like the role because the character is strong.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Actors and actresses over-populating the world. Please stop breeding messed-up, spoiled, and neglectfully raised children.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    "the chosen one" in most rpgs, the main character is this prophesied bringer of light/peace....oh god so lame. also emo main characters with insane hair......im looking at you anime...
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    after seeing the latest Zero Punctuation:

people blaming George Lucas for personally being responsible for any little wrong associated with anything he's been within a 100mile radius of. :poly114:
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    "the chosen one" in most rpgs, the main character
    e.
    This is actually a really good point when talking RPG's. This is what I liked so much about FinalFantasy XI, the NPC's basically talked to you like you're nobody special, and you better prove something to them, rather than like from what I hear in WoW where everyone who signs up is supposedly "the chosen one" I think this is a major difference between Japanese and north american rpg's.

good call pixel...
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    seems some of you can't tell a cliche from a fundamental foundation of narrative storytelling. it's like saying Form is an art cliche or percussion is a music cliche.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Dont worry, nobody is saying you cant be the chosen one Asherr, one day your time will come, and once your true destiny has been revealed we will all kneel, the bells will ring, you will hold your (currently equipped main weapon) aloft, the dying sun will crest the blade, and with a single stroke you will save the world, and then reign over it at the same time!

Huzzah!
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Samuel Jackson
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    oh yeah, shouting 'FAIL' when some tiny thing doesnt work as intended
    that really boils my piss
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Wearing flannel means you're a metal head

Having facial piercings means you're a bad person

Videogames will get you nowhere
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago: But I AM a bad person. So that basically confirms it, right?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i dont like when the bad guys are evil because of being evil
    (except of dr.evil)
    i even dont like movies/games where one is evil

more interesting is a fight /war between people with different interests and both have good reasons for what they are doing
  • levin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    levin polycounter lvl 16
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    "The computer does most of the work, right?"

Also, "hard-ass" army sergeant characters in movies and games.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shoulder protection on every armor equivalent what age that's as huge as the head.

(I kinda liked how Ter Backman argued about that in Raising the Bar on the combine design)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    "uuughhhn, next-gen only use BROWN. lolololls"
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Thanks for reminding me. "Next gen" is a cliche that has to die. A lot of people still seem to think that the 360 and PS3 are "next gen". Apparently "next gen" no longer actually means anything and is just a phrase that describes those consoles.

So what the hell will happen when the actual next generation of consoles starts to show up? Will that be next-next-gen or what??
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I would imagine "Next-gen" will take on new meaning when Sony, nintendo and MS have announced the next wave of consoles. I've heard around the office the use of "current-Gen" quite a bit.

Win and Fail... +1 and Congrats/grats! . All cliche autonomous responses to message posts and e-mails.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    MoP wrote: »

most of the game ones are even voiced by Jon St. John
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The common belief that swords make a noise at the slightest touch or movement.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they do make a sound, but it isnt very loud and sounds like breath
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    MoP wrote: »

Sergeants who are like cooks or something but think they are hardcore just because they are sergeants. Trust me, I have known too many. So there is dust in my window tracks, doesn't fucking mean I lost the war.
  • Mr GetDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr GetDown polycounter lvl 18
    Poeple moaning about people moaning... Ooopsy >.<
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i hate it when german guys in movies are huge musculated bald guys with a military slang
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they do make a sound, but it isnt very loud and sounds like breath

As in that loud clinking noise.

*Grips his sword's handle* *Chink!*
    *Moves his sword upward, then stops* *Chink!*
    *Moves his sword slightly* *Chink!*
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Nowadays in next gen games, excessive usage of bloom.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    As for the American market, I think the worst cliches are the ones that consistently categorize real people: women, people of color, gay/lesbian....and the list goes on. They are rarely the heroes, and rarely have any autonomy. I developers need to stop placing these people(characters) in roles that are 'comfortable' to them, and start putting more thought into how these people actually see themselves, and what kinds of roles these people would actually like to fill. (I'm sure they wouldn't mind being the hero, or the bad ass, or having clothes on, or something other than the thug or the calendar girl).
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don: in the case of 'gay/lesbian' people, I actually hate it when their sexuality becomes a story-centric character-trait. Gay/lesbian characters don't need to be the 'hero' more often. People should just stop giving a shit about who the main character fancies, but that's not likely to happen. If you cast an obviously gay or lesbian character as the lead, that will only make sure their sexuality gets played out in a 'hilarious' way. Being gay means being into your own sex, it doesn't have to mean you wear spandex and lisp. So: confusing sexuality with personality, or deriving the latter from the former needs to be put to rest.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gay people who make their gayness a center point of their life, and seem to dwell on it time and time again. Bumper stickers, posters, photos of their sig/other plastered all over the place, tats and bringing it up when no one was talking about it.

- "Hey, what do you think of the shoes on this character?"
    - "Oh I'm totally the wrong person to ask, me and 'my friends' (actually does the air quotes) are not in the know about fashion. In fact we're more butch then you are... (points at photo booth photos of them being all cuddly with their sig/other)"
    - "okay... but do they look proportional to the body?"
    - "oh... well in that case a forearm is the length of your foot, (takes off shoe to reveal rainbow toe socks) (pulls up sleeve to reveal forearm pink triangle tat)"
    - "Oh you're gay I almost completely forgot. I'll be sure to swing by your desk only when I have gay questions. Thanks for reminding me every 20 seconds, I almost did forget we hired you to something other then be a mouthpiece for your gayness..."

I get it, I support it. But just like any other person who can't stop talking about any one thing, it gets old quick.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    pliang wrote: »
    Nowadays in next gen games, excessive usage of bloom.

Augh, stop it! There is no "next gen" yet!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    complaining about next gen being current gen
    ZOMG im on a roll