Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    Hey cheers for the reply, im not quite sure where your pointing at ? but if this helps, all around the joints of the cylinders they look like triangles but their not , >> Capture-7.png
  • Brick Top
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another problem I'm afraid. :poly118:

How do I harden up that gap? When I try to, it pinches at the corners. Thanks in advance!

round1.jpg

round2.jpg
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
  • sirenblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brick Top wrote: »
    Another problem I'm afraid. :poly118:

How do I harden up that gap? When I try to, it pinches at the corners. Thanks in advance!

[]http://users.telenet.be/kansloos/ak/round1.jpg[]

round2.jpg

mmmn.... Try....

29uvypj.png
    PS: Add red lines. Don't add green lines.
  • DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    Yay!Capture-8.png figured it out , took a while though :)
  • sirenblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Can't wait to see the finished model! :poly136:
  • lonelymonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lonelymonk polycounter lvl 11
    perna wrote: »
    If you want to create that diamond grid in any other version of max, see below. This is very quick with keyboard shortcuts and you can wrap it up in a little script.
    per128_diamondgrid01.jpg

There's an even simpler way, just go into edge mode, select all edges, and hit connect. That'll give you a nice diamond pattern, then invert the selection (ctrl + I) and ctrl+backspace to delete.

Pretty straightforward, I recorded a quick video if it isn't clear.
  • lonelymonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lonelymonk polycounter lvl 11
    That's cool, but a different structure than he was looking for. His original image has the diagonal ending in the corner like this:
    diamond_grids.gif

while your solution is like the following, where a diagonal does not meet the corner and you get a single triangle there instead:
    dw-LJ882.gif

original post: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1389267&postcount=1737

Ahhh, good point. I didn't spot that.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Okay, so I'm trying to cut a shape into a cylinder.

cylinderShape.jpg

First attempt was just cutting straight into it, didn't think it was going to look right to be honest.
    Second attempt was creating it on a plane and then trying to ways to create a cylinder. First was just using a bend modifier, didn't work. Second was angling each "section" at 45 degrees and still didn't work.

Any tips?
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Turbosmooth before bending and keep the line distribution equally.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap that worked!

cylinderShape02.jpg

I've never tried that before but man it worked like a charm! Cheers!
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    pac and wesley great job was just about to say the same thing.

actually writting a tutorial on the that very subject

anways as a note if can try not to extrude til after the bend and see what results you get. Lay out your edges just dont extrude til after the bend.

I find sometines the extrusion get a little distorted but this is kind of a case by cas basis
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    There is one thing I forgot to mention.
    If you want to proceed any further after doing this, you should make sure that you didn't tick the "Show isoline" option in the turbo smooth modifier. Otherwise it will screw up your mesh if you put something like a edit poly modifier on top.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I originally did that and saw it was looking all weird. I never realised that option actually "changed" anything apart from viewport stuff. I'll give that method a go as well Danielmn.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I just tried laying out the edges, bending and then extruding and it works well too. Cheers for the help guys.
  • logosm
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley, using turbosmooth before the bend is just a really crappy way of following the "more geo" mantra. What you ought to be doing is simply giving the cylinder more sides in the first place.

Ideally you should work directly on the cylinder from the start, and not model things out on a plane which you then bend as this will give you wonky geometry.

Cheers for the advice, perna.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    logosm,

By 'ribs' I assume you mean the vents?

If so, here is one way to start. There are more steps, but you should be able to figure out the rest from this.

vent-start.jpg
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    logosm
    here is a tut i made on how to do that car piece

http://vimeo.com/27946665

ldXdFL04elJhVRUU7iJhVRUU7.JPG
  • logosm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    logosm polycounter lvl 9
    Danielmn Thank You very much. There are still good people in this world:) This tutorial solved my problem.

Best Regards!
    Adam

btw: here's my model which im doing now and need this part and sorry for bad english :)
    http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7330/cxzbc.jpg
  • PolygonFever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

I really, really need some help with this shape. I have tried many times but I just can't get it right. It's the frame with small gaps. Especially those sharp corners give me headache. I'm making hi-poly version of this iron cross. Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks!

ozf6nsljbdgbmxau.jpg
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey polycountfever

here is a tut i put together.
    mosetly using the spacing tool to place object and merging a few shapes.

iiUyncrO.jpg

i67N01Qy.jpg

vimeo link to video
    http://vimeo.com/27958651
  • PolygonFever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn, that looks very nice indeed! Thank you so much! Hopefully I can soon show you my finished cross! Thank you once again!
  • rares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rares polycounter lvl 9
    Just fixing your image tags. You need to link to the image, not the webpage.

to get good results out of bevel either bevel edges like in the attachement, or delete all the edges that are inside teh same plane, it's easier to add edges afetr the bevel than to fix what the bevel spits out
  • Sonnhalter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sonnhalter polycounter lvl 8
    okay, here's one for you guys. I'd love to see your approach as I'm stuck on how to model these extrusions on the grip of a tokarev. the lines, circle and star. Haven't been able to get anywhere near an ideal result.

rK1FA.jpg
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    so any ideas? lol, im thinking its going to need to be more then one object?

any help would be greatly appreciated

dsc0010dl.jpg
  • Sonnhalter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to be a forum nazi, but these kind of posts make it look like you couldn't be bothered to not only try modeling it yourself, but also to pinpoint exactly which bit you're having problems with and why.

The only way to address such questions is to make the entire object for you. I know that sometimes happens here but it's a bit greedy/selfish to expect others to do that for you I think?

I'm not saying that's the motivation in your particular cases but I'm sure you can see how it looks that way. At least post pics of your own attempt and show which bit you're struggling with.

To address your actual cases:

Sonnhalter, keep in mind there's no need to make it one continuous mesh.
    Dansher, I'm sure you wouldn't be confused if there was just one cylinder and one box that needed merging, but the approach isn't going to be any different just because there's lots of boxes. If you just do a straight up boolean you can get those nice soft transitions between the shapes.

I work on my models, I have deadlines, and I did model what i asked for. I posted because I know my result could be achieved much better and I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to do so. If you think what I asked for was greedy or selfish, then don't model it. simple as that. but really, I see no difference in my question then any other one in this thread.

I did say what I was having troubles with specifically. mostly the extrusions with the star. but I won't bother you anymore perna. sorry to ask for help.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No need to get upset man, calm down and re-read what he said maybe. Everything Per is saying here is quite reasonable. There isn't any reason to get defensive.

Its very difficult, other than to completely model the object for you, to give you advice when you haven't first shown what you've attempted to make, with wires etc. This can be said to anyone who posts in this thread without first showing their attempts, and is not a personal attack on you.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw your post, and I generally don't respond to these sort of posts in this thread, just an image without any work shown by the artist, it just takes too much time. In reality per was being quite polite pointing out how to get better responses, offering great advice for you and anyone else who posts in this thread.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    that wasn't even remotely harsh, just sayin.

go give it a try and see what you come up with, then post your results here if you are still having trouble!
  • Sonnhalter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mean to get defensive at all. I thought I was pretty polite! I realize that I should have shown more images and such, I was genuinely apologizing, it would be an exaggerated effort for someone to fill my request, looking back, I wouldn't have done it if it was requested by someone else.
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna

admittedly i didnt try model it yet but thats more because i dont have a clue where to start with it, iv just been modeling around it at the moment lol

anyway what do you mean a straight up boolean?

i was thinking of modeling the main shape and having the grilled bits as another object just floating but i dont think it will look very good, ill have a try at it later and post a pic
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the raised up portions of it are the things that have me stumped, would you just extrude them from the surface or would you make them a separate object as well?

i can see it looking kinda shit of i tried to extrude them but at the same time it wouldnt look as smooth and neat if i separate them would it?

**edit**

first attempt at modeling it, i think it needs to be a bit smoother i think i might try doing the ribbed bits using splines will have to have a play and see what it comes out like

test2zq.jpg
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont see why you couldnt just make floater geo
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Just model them seperatley and place them where they need to go. That is also where the hand of the character would go in a first person view, so slight imperfections where the ribs and the body meet will either not show up due to resolution in your maps, or would be obscured 99% of the time. Just keep em separate.

The only ones I would consider modeling in are the 5 vertical ribs toward the far right.
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok made some progress with it,

i joined the cylinder and the box together to make it a bit smoother and i added some ribs, ill do the rest with floating geo i think,

some how manages to add to many vertical ribs i just noticed but it doesnt really matter to much

test3tc.jpg

P.S this is a really shit color for showing detail isnt it?
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could help me out with this object I'm trying to model. It's the cylindrical piece I've pointed out in the first pic.

I really struggle with objects like these. I want it to keep its smooth cylindrical shape, but when I add edge loops it loses its roundness. I've added some pics that hopefully explain what I'm trying to learn. The model in my pics is just a test on a similar piece.

cylinder.png

53927181.jpg

28139569.jpg

• Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "AKA ADD MORE GEO"

Add a lot more sides to the cylinder to begin with and it should be alright ^^
  • System
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was kinda looking for a simple and easy method, heh. I tried starting it with a 150 side cylinder, and it works fine this way. Just wish I could do it with less.

Thanks for the help guys. This thread is great.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at that cylinder model again, I found I didn't really need too many more sides. I think the placement of the loops was more important.

23120772.png

40435294.png
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was kinda looking for a simple and easy method, heh. I tried starting it with a 150 side cylinder, and it works fine this way. Just wish I could do it with less.

Thanks for the help guys. This thread is great.

Well much more important than realizing what you had is too little geometry, and 150 is too much geometry, is simply understanding how sub-d modeling works, so that you can simply use logic and choose the appropriate amount of geometry.

You'll never be able to define cutouts on a curve when all you have is flat planes. You need to actually define the curve. This doesn't mean using a million sides, this means use.... more than 1 side per segment.

When we start with a basis that actually defines the shape, you see much better results. Then you have a foundation to go in and add more loops as well, without creating a mess.

ridgedcylinder.jpg

Per wrote up a very good response at some point on this whole issue, but I can't seem to find it now.

Generally to figure out how many sides you need, all you need is to do some basic math. Say, you want 8 cutouts, and you want the cutouts to be a little larger than the gaps. In this case, I decided I wanted 3 segments for the gaps and 4 for the cutouts. 3x8 + 4x8 = 56 sides.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at that cylinder model again, I found I didn't really need too many more sides. I think the placement of the loops was more important.

23120772.png

40435294.png

You've got your curves defined better here, but this looks nothing like the concept, and the geometry you have here still has a lot of problems, like "melting" at the bottom there.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got your curves defined better here, but this looks nothing like the concept, and the geometry you have here still has a lot of problems, like "melting" at the bottom there.

Yeah, I know it looks nothing like the concept. It was a quick test. Not sure if I'm going to follow tihat concept too cloesly anyway.

I don't know what melting means; I'm guessing you're referring to the way the panels curve at the bottom. if so, I can fix that, but I kind of prefer it that way.
    You'll never be able to define cutouts on a curve when all you have is flat planes. You need to actually define the curve. This doesn't mean using a million sides, this means use.... more than 1 side per segment.

I think I kind of knew that, I just wanted to convince myself there was an easy way, heh.

Thanks for the help and the info.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I think I kind of knew that, I just wanted to convince myself there was an easy way, heh.
    To be honest, I don't think any of the methods presented fall outside being an easy way. With a shape so cylindrical, they're all quick enough to whip up.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    ridgedcylinder.jpg

EQ: I see you've terminated your edges as ngons. Are you using PSubs in Modo and, if so, do they subdivide ngons better than standard subdivision?
  • _S9_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Epic thread D: thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ngons and even triangles are generally fine in modo depending on how you use them(both sub-divide to quads).
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can somebody please tell me how to add more than 10 edge loops in maya? the insert edge loop tool only lets me go up to 10 and i want 19 :S

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3LdMAqUMnM[/ame]

i miss you max
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do PSubs smooth ngons and poles better?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I think so, I dont really use them. I like to keep it basic to ease export to max/maya/etc.