Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• JohnnyDop3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyDop3 null
    I'm having general difficulties creating armor i.e. shell-based armor plates/bracers/shoulders. I don't know how to approach it or the workflow. I wanna create something like this: 

in the sense that I want armor plates to be "attached" to an undersuit. I'm currently working on a batman costume:

Any good tutorials on how to create armor like that? I'm having the most difficulty with the bracers/gauntlets, as I can't really get them to look "hardsurface". 

• terskov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    terskov null
    Hey guys, I've run into trouble of modelling pieces were a certain shape has to be extruded from the surface of a cylinder, like here:

I'm modelling after reference (M83 grenade), so I'm trying to stick to original proportions as closely as possible.
    Am I approaching this wrong? Should I make cylinder more dense?
    I really am not sure how to pull it off, feel like an idiot tbh %) Any advice would be greatly appreciated! : )
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    I think whatever reference you are using is wrong as far as I'm aware, just glancing at some pictures I can see that the cylindrical shape you're having trouble with gets boxy towards the top then the folded metal handle begins to occur. You seem to be morphing them.

As the cylinder reaches the top it becomes a slightly blockier form before jutting out away from the main canister. It's really important to understand what exactly it is your modelling to make your job as easy and logical as possible so there is minimal guesswork.
  • terskov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    terskov null
    gfelton said:
    I think whatever reference you are using is wrong as far as I'm aware, just glancing at some pictures I can see that the cylindrical shape you're having trouble with gets boxy towards the top then the folded metal handle begins to occur. You seem to be morphing them.

As the cylinder reaches the top it becomes a slightly blockier form before jutting out away from the main canister. It's really important to understand what exactly it is your modelling to make your job as easy and logical as possible so there is minimal guesswork. 
    Well, I was using this reference image, which I believe is the same model, to me it seemed like it was extruded from the side.

• terskov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    terskov null
    To clarify my case, this is the situation I have a problem with:

Here's link for the OBJ file.
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might be over-complicating the boxy bit. If I were you I wouldn't chamfer those edges, I'd leave them straight and add some segments to the cylinder, then let turbosmooth determine the edge width.
  • terskov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    terskov null
    gfelton said:
    You might be over-complicating the boxy bit. If I were you I wouldn't chamfer those edges, I'd leave them straight and add some segments to the cylinder, then let turbosmooth determine the edge width.

Thanks for the advice dude! That's how I ended up making it.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1813 vertex
    Problem Solved. Use a cylinder to follow a motion path instead of a box.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @JohnnyDop3
    Do you have access to a standard modeling package like Maya, Max, Modo, etc?

Otherwise, you're looking at what I would describe in Zbrush as a "Mask>Extract>RoughSculpt>Retopologize>Crease>Bevel>Subdivide" for the armor pieces.  A slightly less palatable process to me compared to what I prefer to do.
  • EosOfOrcus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EosOfOrcus polycounter lvl 4
    milldevi said:
    @ebi, From my image are you talking about object 1 on the inside?

I really want to see the step process of how you did it or else just the wireframe will do :pleased:
  • Skeletalsabaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skeletalsabaki polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to model this cool shifter I found.  But I'm getting lumps and bumps in the main shape when I try to cut in the little concave 'football'.  How would you guys build this?  Here is my sketch model.
    Many thanks!   B)

• LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to model this cool shifter I found.  But I'm getting lumps and bumps in the main shape when I try to cut in the little concave 'football'.  How would you guys build this?  Here is my sketch model.
    Many thanks!   B)

It would be easy`er to model them as separate objects, model the metalic piece and the leather piece.
  • Skeletalsabaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skeletalsabaki polycounter lvl 2
    Hi Perna,
    If the leather and metal pieces are built separately, would you still blend them together?
    Can you say more about 'blocking out'?  I'm not sure what you mean.
  • boski_miszczu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boski_miszczu polycounter lvl 4
    noob question alert!!!
    I have got this simple cylindrical object with chamfer efdes:

I want to set smothing groups like that (selected poligons as a one smoothig group):

after that I get this smooth problem:

Is there any way to avoid this effect? Mayby ther is no way to set smooth groups like that?
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    noob question alert!!!
    I have got this simple cylindrical object with chamfer efdes:

I want to set smothing groups like that (selected poligons as a one smoothig group):

after that I get this smooth problem:

Is there any way to avoid this effect? Mayby ther is no way to set smooth groups like that?
    You need to adjust your vertex normals to even out the shading. Check this great thread to get the idea how you can do it: http://polycount.com/discussion/154664/a-short-explanation-about-custom-vertex-normals-tutorial/p1
  • Coffeehouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coffeehouse vertex
    Hello,

I have a question about Subdivision Modelling with TurboSmooth (if that matters).
    I did not know that existed since last week. Now my main goal is to go into (indie) game making and I was wondering, if Sub-D modelling is relevant there.

After watching some tutorials on how to get smooth surfaces (like making a perfect circle with a turbo-smoothed octagon), I ended up with something that looked like a cup or so.

I noticed that the silhouette of the low poly and the hi poly was very different. The overall size of the low poly was bigger too. So I thought baking down the hi poly normal map onto the low poly would not make that much sense because the overall shape is not that close. I suppose that it is possible to match the shapes closer by adding more hard edges with additional edgeloops, but when I want to have a rounded form that is probably sometimes not what I want to go for ...

That left me with the question if Sub-D modelling is THE way to do (anorganic?) game modelling (or a viable way at all) or if that is more something for architectural/industrial visualization, film making where you work with the turbo-smoothed version anyway?

I love how the topology is so nice and structured in general.

Thanks
    Coffee
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    @Coffeehouse this is not the right thread for this kind of questions I guess. But yes, for sure you need this knowledge
  • Coffeehouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coffeehouse vertex
    Thanks for your answer!

Which thread would this topic go in? Maybe it can be moved there by an admin.

Is Sub-D Modelling the recommended way to do game models?
    For hardsurface stuff, is it not easier to just use whatever 3dsmax offers. Like Boolean, Bend, Lathe etc. or just attach primitives to one another until the overall shape looks good and then remesh the whole shabang in Zbrush/Mudbox or retopo with graphite tools?

It looks like it is pretty complicated to model elaborate forms with the Sub-D modeling technique ... is that time effective?

Thank you,
    Coffee
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just open your own thread if you dont find the one you need. but this here is definitly not the right one ;) 
  • MatiasP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MatiasP vertex
    Hi, guys.

I'm modelling the pan of a Flintlock Pistol. I think I already got the low poly right, but I'm having issues with the HP. How should I modify it so that it works well with the subdivision modifier?

• MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MatiasP you need to have quads at all of your hard edges. You just modeled a shape and subdivided without any supporting edges, thats your problem. 
  • MatiasP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MatiasP vertex
    (Edited 2 times)

@MaxHoek

Thanks, I think I got it working now:

• Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    before I unleash the wrath of Perna, can someone help me figure out how to model this stock? I can't picture the topology that's needed for that indent or the best way to go about it. Should I model the stock without the indent and then try to cut it in? Should I make it without the indent, turbo smooth and soft selection some verts inward? I've tried to do it with soft selection and ffd but it's pretty pathetic, I would just like some guidance.

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Heres a freebee
    diamondgif
    Was reading through the older pages and found this. In Modo, EQ made that first selection of vertices with the Repeat Selection (up arrow key). Anyone know how to achieve that kind of vertex selection in max?
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Deforges I would not try to do some turbosmooth and vertex pushing with softselection stuff. Try to model it out with the right edges/geometry. So far it looks good, and also the indent looks nearly like that you want to achieve. Put stuff on the correct position and you will get your result. FFD is always a good way for such curvature stuff i think. 
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Deforges said:
    before I unleash the wrath of Perna, can someone help me figure out how to model this stock? I can't picture the topology that's needed for that indent or the best way to go about it. Should I model the stock without the indent and then try to cut it in? Should I make it without the indent, turbo smooth and soft selection some verts inward? I've tried to do it with soft selection and ffd but it's pretty pathetic, I would just like some guidance.

I found an old model i made that uses a similar stock.

Maybe it can help you somehow :).

• Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek said:
    @Deforges I would not try to do some turbosmooth and vertex pushing with softselection stuff. Try to model it out with the right edges/geometry. So far it looks good, and also the indent looks nearly like that you want to achieve. Put stuff on the correct position and you will get your result. FFD is always a good way for such curvature stuff i think. 

.Wiki said:
    Deforges said:

I found an old model i made that uses a similar stock.

Maybe it can help you somehow :).

Thanks guys, this is very helpful. I'll try it out
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Deforges said:

my try, take a look at the max file, it's not the best but you can figure it out from there! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlkcwb69lpw58oe/foryou.max?dl=0
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy stromboli that helps a lot - many thanks
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Deforges said:
    Holy stromboli that helps a lot - many thanks
    try finding different references and see how it looks, and also,  make a photoshop draw over of how the flow should go. Now, i did not do it that way, because i like to be lazy when i model, fast and dirty for the hp as long as it looks ok. My modell looks ok, but it's not correct accordingly to the references i found! 
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Or try to see the modell as 3 different pieces and start with the easiest or the hardest and try to connect them to eachother later on! 
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna when he saw people like my try to find a solution. Thats how I imagine you always than haha! 

@wirrex not try to be offensive to you, dont get it wrong! More like me haha
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:

Wouldn't that pole create a pretty sizeable dimple?
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    gfelton: I'm not sure what you're saying.
    I'm just being wrong once again, for whatever reason I have this innate tendency to constantly talk out of my ass. I was just thinking that the poles with 5 edges might cause dimples if subdivided enough times but then went and tried it for myself and it turns out I was wrong.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    @gfelton
    yup, spider webs aren't that bad. Too many can be bad, but really they don't cause too much disturbance. 

• Doguib7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doguib7 polycounter lvl 6

Hey there!
    I am struggling with this mesh!
    Is there any other way to optimize it?? I had a real pain trying to close polygons after making those circles and edges! Mesh is really dense in those areas so the task of reducing polys has been really hard!
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Doguib7 said:

Hey there!
    Is there any other way to optimize it?? I had a real pain trying to close polygons after making those circles and edges! Mesh is really dense in those areas so the task of reducing polys has been really hard!
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

this would be my way! =) 

could go further. REd = edges  Blue = vertices

• rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 7
    Besides @Doguib7 if its a flat surface u dont have to mantain perfect topology with all quads and shit, u can get away with pretty much anything, that is, finishing loops in the middle of nowhere (generating Ngons) wont create any issues.

• FireyMoltak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, I'm a bit of an overthinker (and noob) and I'm not sure how to approach complex models. Below is a good example, a Gameboy Advance SP. The whole bottom body (not the flap that's coming up), is filled with circular depressions where the buttons are, indent shaped as the charger, rectangular indent where the on-off switch is, varied round edges everywhere, that socket where the L and R buttons fit in... ETC!!

that whole framework looks like one "part" / "element" / "object" ... but with that many inward extrusion everywhere, wouldn't that make the object, some places more than others, super poly-dense (that just seems hectic to work with. a gajillion subdivides >~>)
    THANKS IF YOU CAN HELP IN ANY WAY <3
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to have a detailed highpoly model, it could be, yes. But it is pretty straight forward I think. Every "difficult depressions" are on flat surfaces. So you can more or less easiely model it in. Dont see there any problems for now.
    To addition, a bit of overthinking is very good. Better than the opposite ;) 
  • Doguib7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    Dog: Well the mesh doesn't make much sense. You're using less segments the larger the curves are... It's supposed to be the exact opposite.
    I am modeling a car battery buddy!! Thanks for your feedback!

• Doguib7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:
    Doguib7 said:

Hey there!
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

this would be my way! =) 

could go further. REd = edges  Blue = vertices

Thank you very much! Really helpful! I am modeling a Car Battery! This is with Subdivision! That's why that amount of dense polys on corners! I think I am getting somewhere... What you think?

• supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    For the lowpoly you do not have to worry about making sure your edges are practical for subdivision and since your surface is flat you can really go stupid (not my recommendation) on how the triangles close up.
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Hi,
    Nevermind - figured it out. :)
    Thanks anyway!

• Ninjin42
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjin42 null
    Hey < 3,
    working my head around this for a long time and don't even know where to start from... Sadly I can only provide 1 reference image (it's taken from http://yuumei.deviantart.com/). You can see it's some kind of venetian mask (hello Assassins Creed < 3). Top hat is easy, also the mask seems to be attached on a half sphere. The real difficulty is the mask itself. The part around the eye needs to be pushed out, while the eye remains pushed in. Then the connection between the eyes and the bill. From the picture itself I can't find a topology that could work. What do you think how it could work/ make sense? < 3

• Ninjin42
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjin42 null
    On the right side of the eye there is some indication for the torus shape, but true left side was untouched by me. But how should I split up the topology that is leading to the eye? I always end up with some dirty tris there and I don't see how I could avoid that (where you can see the 5-gon) < 3
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Excuse the lack of precise proportion, but I guess it looks more like this in 3d.

• FireyMoltak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone give me a little more opinion on my posted subject above :( xD
    If you can, haha thanks in advance :)
  • Ninjin42
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjin42 null
    I guess I'm stupid and shouldn't touch art/ watch some kind of basic tutorials, because I have no idea how someone approaches these problems. This is what I came up with. Simple Blockout, a cylinder for the eye, pushed it smoothly out (Blender's proportional edit), a torus, cut the bottom vertices, some other proportional edit, extrude the shapes, tried to curve them, stucked again : 3.

Tried to get a 1/4 of a cylinder, squeezed it on Z axis (up axis in Blender). extruded out and covered the foundation I guess. Is that the right way to go??

• gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjin42 said:
    I guess I'm stupid and shouldn't touch art/ watch some kind of basic tutorials
    It's alright dude, you're just wrong. There's nothing wrong with being wrong, especially in a thread like this because everyone gets to learn from your mistake so other people don't make it in the future. You're learning, and therefore you're improving.