Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok calling this done-ish for now, need to stop neglecting my GF and get back to the real world =D Here's some final shots for now.

beautywl8.jpg
    fpvfi9.jpg
    texturepg0.jpg
  • Carl Brannstrom
    This one is going to win :)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Most definitely :D
    Should be a close competition with jhonny imo
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    lolz ur soooo going to pwn

lovin' it
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ding ding ding ! and we have a winner ! sharp textures as always , clean maps :D

P.S - how did you put the muzzle etc on the viewer ? and also, about the sight how did you handle that ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are both simple alpha materials. The sight gets it color from the spec color setting in the material, i dunno with sharpness of like 50 or 60 or something.

The flash is just a simple sprite using alpha, theres a problem tho, its lit, so as you rotate the sky around it changes color =(. I wish we had an unlit material option.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    My internets is dying so if you've explained this earlier in the thread please ignore. Why are you using a world space normal map?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just better quality, support for tweaking the mesh before and afterwards as well without needing to rebake. And contrary to popular belief there are no real issues animating object space normals.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Makes sense, I'd love to use object space (if only Unreal would let me), mechanical surfaces are a pain using tangent space because of the shading issues

Awesome looking Gun btw!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    *saved in inspiration folder

Wow EQ, tell you the truth before this thread I wasn't familiar with your work :( but now looking at this and some of your other pieces, I gotta say man you are one of my favourite artists.

Everything is so clean, super nice man, really inspirational stuff here.

You da man :P
  • Chung Wong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chung Wong polycounter lvl 10
    Very meaty and solid. Looks like it belongs in Halo or Gears of war or something of that caliber.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I was thinking more towards Quake territory type style, I think its much more clean then muddy ol' Gears. Not clean as in the texture (its gritty) I just mean the quality of detail.
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome.
    The positioning of the ejection port relative to the magazine still confuses me but I'm sure I'm a minority so thats ok.
  • Geezus
  • W1LLDAB3AST
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome.
    The positioning of the ejection port relative to the magazine still confuses me but I'm sure I'm a minority so thats ok.
    It's supposed to be like the FN2000's ejection system if I'm not mistaken:
    [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ctA3e39penY&feature=related[/ame]
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    Looks great. Two crits:

1) The hand grips (both trigger and under-barrel grip). There is nothing to indicate anything on either grip that would facilitate solid handling of the weapon.

2) There is a decided lack of grease around rivets and where different parts of the gun come together. For a gun as worn as this one is, there would be more grease stains in various parts of the gun.

Otherwise a sweet looking piece.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    If there are no real issues animating world space normal maps why aren't you showing the other side of your gun? :)

(I'm joking of course, but seriously, it's a great model and want to see the other side since half your texture map is supporting it)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because i havent spent any time detailing that said, or well not the same polish =) As said before the biggest drawback to using object space is inability to mirror(tho cb seems to have a solution!) and obvioulsy i'm not going to put in the same amount of time texturing the side you *dont* see in fpv. Anyway it looks pretty much the same as this side, with a little less going on.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Anyway it looks pretty much the same as this side, with a little less going on."

prove it!

Nah you don't have to, it's just with all the new info that kicks the butt of our programmers I'm just being a stickler for proof(though you could also fake it really easily so it doesn't really matter until I get the tech I need to do it)

Thanks for the great thread
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol just to prove i'm not a big fat liar, here it is, with multiple angles to show that it does infact get lit correctly! =D Anyway this mesh isnt even rigged or anything so its not actually proving anything just showing the other sire o_O

cg11ct1.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what are you doing posting in here, shouldn't you be posting some wips of your model in your own thread? HUH?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rotate it 90 degrees! :)

thx
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man! Rotate it back, that side looks total shit! You're not fooling anyone buddy. (<-- the serve).
  • Mohamed Rotab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mohamed Rotab polycounter lvl 11
    Just amazing weapon .. I like your metal style as well as the Tear and Wear . Keep it up
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    great model EQ ! Killer execution (as usual) :)
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Great topic, I really like the model renderer...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all, final image here, just the construction shot showing polies etc.
    cgwconstructop5.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    hey this is pretty cool. lots of interesting shapes in fps view. Marmoset renders are cool too. looks like a fun engine to play with.
  • Mitch Cosgrave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mitch Cosgrave polycounter lvl 17
    That look's brilliant earthquake, i really like the way you've defined the materials using all the maps. Something i plan to improve on in the near future.
    If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to explain the process on how you go about creating your base material? Do you have a collection of pre-made metal textures which you use as a base? Or do you paint up each diffuse map individually?
    Thanks for posting some really helpful tips on your work flow. Much appreciated.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Came out great EQ, easily a contender for 1st place. :)

Got two questions for you though. How come the scratches only seem to be in the spec? The color map looks like it might have some reeeealy low opacity versions of them, but not sure on that. Also, sense this appears to have been done in Modo, would you happen to know any good resources for learning to model in it? I've seen several of the vids on the official site but they're more like advertisements then actual tutorials.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkers: i've got psds full of layers with base texutres and all sorts of stuff, mostly from texture ref sites, stuff i've created for other models, etc. Some stuff i stole from dfacto's textures too =P. Really just comes down to lots of experimentation, and eventually you learn what works well. Sometimes less texture etc can be really good, if you look at my diffuse, the base metal actually has very little "texture" to it, aside from layers for dirt and discoloring. And most of the read detail is in the spec.

Polyhertz: I do most all of my detail for metal in the spec, really metals generally tend to have very very little "color" information, its mostly all down to how the material reflects, and scratches are something that dont look the same from all angles, so no reason to have them more than just really subtly in the diffuse.

As far as modo, just try it out man, its super easy to pick up, and comes with tons of tutorials i think if you get the couple gigs of content for it.
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    That zig zag pattern u make on all the round objects, (bolts screws etc, in ur cylindrical shapes) i assume it's for controlling the triangulation and keeping down the polycount, but i was looking at your uv map, and i could find any zig zag there.. Am i just blind in this late night, or do u put them there afterwards? (like after u bake to keep from artefacts in the baking) I can make a paintover if you don't catch my drift ;)

Id be happy for a reply! Thanks, And of course i admire your gun ;)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah there was some stuff that i popped out after the lowpoly was done, and maps were baked. Thats one plus with object space maps, if you had tangent space you would need to rebake your textures after making those sorts of edits.
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah there was some stuff that i popped out after the lowpoly was done, and maps were baked. Thats one plus with object space maps, if you had tangent space you would need to rebake your textures after making those sorts of edits.

I haven't tried baking object space yet.. So, how come u don't need to rebake? u rebake only that part or what? :D

And yeah, but did it have any significance that u didn't include the zigzag? Im thinking, maybe it didn't look well or something when u where baking it, or i don't know :D
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To put it simple, tangent space normals are relative to the smoothing of your lowpoly model, so if you add more geometry you're chainging the smoothing, and need to rebake. Whereas object space maps are not, you can really do whatever you want to them because they store more data(normals relative to world instead of relative to mesh smoothing) This also means you cant do certain things like rotating your mesh, you need to rebake an object space map if you do that. So pros and cons. There are ways you can work with object space maps, if say you're placing them in a level editor, the editor keeps track of the transformation(roating, etc) and can update the lighting correctly. Also if you have a rigged mesh, you can keep track of the transformations while it animates, which means you could use it as a first person mesh, or hell even a character. But theres not really much reason to use object space on organic meshes, now a robot on the other hand would be a pretty good use.

Heres some more info: http://wiki.polycount.net/Normal_Map?highlight=(normal)
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Thanks man ;D nice reading, i especially liked the backlight example, cool if u can afford foliage with double side geometry