Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Art of "Eclipse" a Full Conversion Mod For Crysis

ECLIPSE is a fast paced First Person Shooter with Multi-player and Single Player modes. Anarchy reigns throughout the universe and you are a laboratory bred human with super DNA who is the commander of a future elite fighting force known as "ECLIPSE." ECLIPSE was assembled by an alliance of alien worlds. You and your team are separated, trapped and captured after a large battle on a distant world. Your team was taken to different parts of the universe for detainment, then execution. Escape and fight through many worlds and battles to assemble your team again. Then battle your way back to glory.

ECLIPSE is a real-time action strategy game for the PC that allows the player to navigate through many worlds. Set in 2996 between the UWA "United Worlds Alliance" formed by the leaders of advanced alien races after several attack attempts by a greed and war driven group of worlds. ECLIPSE provides a new angle on the shooter strategy while bringing new heroes to the battle.

We are looking for Coders/Programmers, Modelers, Texture Artists, Concept Artists and Animators. We prefer people with strong SCI-FI Experience. This is a non-pay project that Investors and Development Studio's are looking at hard and heavy.

If you are interested please contact me at rrichards@digitalarmadagamestudios.com

You can visit our forums at http://www.digitalarmadagamestudios.com/forum/

Other places you'll find us are here:

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=20997&hilight=eclipse

http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php/topic,23409.0.html

http://www.moddb.com/mods/10694/eclipse

And here are some shots of works in progress...

ztestfe6.jpg
harmtestho8.jpg
testnonosexd7.jpg
Chain_Gun_For_Web_2.jpg
main_generator_03.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=17062

Replies

• darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is our first map in the works...

IO_env_railsystem.jpg
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some great artwork there buddy, but the story doesnt sound like something that took more than a minute of imagination. Put some effort on your plot first, otherwise it will simply be another UT3.
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monochrome wrote: »
    Some great artwork there buddy, but the story doesnt sound like something that took more than a minute of imagination. Put some effort on your plot first, otherwise it will simply be another UT3.

Thanks Monochrome for your thoughts on my companies story for our game. Eclipse was written over 5 years ago along with the game design doc and does not quite follow UT3's story. I myself never played nor read any Unreal story until you posted this response. So i looked it up. I can see where you might have mixed up the two but no, not the same story and yes, it has been thought out to an entire book thanks. :poly005:
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its not that's a copy of UT's story. Its just that super powered mutants on a apocalyptic interplanetary conflict background are definitively a clich
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monochrome wrote: »
    Its not that's a copy of UT's story. Its just that super powered mutants on a apocalyptic interplanetary conflict background are definitively a clich
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought i would give you guys a listen at 6 songs from the Eclipse Sound Track By Mike Jennings, our music composer. We are starting to look for Coders and Sound FX people along with adding environment Concept Artists.

Here are the 6 songs via our forums ......

http://www.digitalarmadagamestudios.com/...9.msg258#msg258
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a female character in the works by Matte3D.
    armourtestfj8.jpgarmourtestff8.jpg
    femalecharbg0.jpg
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry everyone, but we have major things going on behind the scenes, for instance tomorrow morning i've got an interview lined up getting us out in front of the media and investors. Working on funding ..... :)
    Besides all that, we are ramping up on indoor environments next to get some ingame fun rolling. Here is the chaingun high poly about completed. Modeled by pixelgoat.
    Chaingun_WIP_01.jpg We now have some good progress on a main charatcer.
    Snefer and myself worked out this concept for many weeks to land a solid look. We hope you all like our efforts, concept by snefer and i, and modeling WIP by snefer :)
    MainChar_WIP_01_large.jpg
  • AngryPenguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I know that Crysis is a powerful engine but how are you going to cope with the trilions of polys that you have in each model?

Are these just the sources that you are going to bake the normal maps from or were you planning to put things like that in game? Its just that modeleing with unlimited polys is quite easy but getting a good looking low poly model is much harder.

But otherwise yeah, you have some cool looking stuff there, keep it up :thumbup:
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Of course we plan on putting 10million poly meshes into the engine....
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, making these highpoly meshes is nothing compared to retopologising the lowpoly meshes around them. Angry Penguin is a smart cookie.

Nice work! I had my doubts when I read the story's synopsis, but ofcourse that's something that I should just wait to see inside of the game itself, and these assets are looking good. I'm curious about the levels, and ofcourse I'd love to see something game-ready (even more game-ready than these meshes that will go straight into the game? surely not!)

Have you considered having your artists post their stuff in pimping&previews? It might get them some very good tips, and proper criticism, while advertising the game.
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all,
    Rest assured that there is no concern for our poly counts. We are comprised of experienced pro's here on the Eclipse team already working at various major game development companies. This is exactly how nexgen gaming is done, you build out your high polygon model to the max first, then create your low polygon versions afterwards for normal map baking purposes. Our main character will not exceed 15,000 polygons for in game which is the target for this engine. Gears of War, Crysis and UT3 are all done the exact same way we are doing here with Eclipse.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was joking, you know. AngryPenguin didn't seem to be, however, which is worrying.
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    I was joking, you know. AngryPenguin didn't seem to be, however, which is worrying.

Haha ok, sorry but we are on many forums and this wasnt the only place where the concern was raised. :smokin:
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your kind comments! We really enjoy game development and hope it shows in our work. Some day with a little luck someone we hope will show financial interest. :)
    And so the Eclipse Machine plows forward with another model in the works here by one of our newer 3D members, Stephen Minkin. This will be a mechanic ...

stephenminkinwipjk3.gif
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Hey I remember seeing this stuff some months back on cgtalk. Was impressed then, even more impressed now with the work that's been shown sense. You do appear to have a very capable and talented team on your hands going by the posted pieces, looking forward to seeing more :)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    this is really sweet ! hoping to see more !!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    YO! thats by our very own pixelgoat! aweeesome :D
    Everything looks great!

lol @ mightypea
    bigger lol @ angrypenguin
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since an update has been done here. We are still looking for great sci-fi artists of course. Our new site is up but still a wip. http://www.digitalarmadagamestudios.com/eclipse
    Below I've posted a few of the concepts My 2d team and i have flushed out and are now being modeled in 3d. I'll include some 3d renders.
    SIconstruct-slicervariant-with-weap.jpg
    darkmatter_goofing_around.jpg

CommPaint3.jpg
    bossfull2c_arms_attached.jpg
    NEW_TOUGHER_BAINE_01_web.jpg
    teaser_hallway_support_01_lights.jpg
    teaser_hallway_prop_02.jpg
    Support_design_001_web.png

IO_01small.jpg
    containment-swingarm_web.jpg
    creature-containers_web.jpg

WIP10.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome! I recognize the segway!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    fuck, why am I just finding this thread now? killer work yall-
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few goods in the works.

baineHead001.jpg

Eclipse_CCUnit1.jpg

Eclipse_Catscan_Unit.jpg
    sliop1_paintover_02.jpg

Darkmatter_Eclipse_HG_WIP_Render_02.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work so far guys

I'll be keeping an eye on this one ;)
  • psychoticprankster
    Is there any chance of you showing us the Female character textured ? Great work! no not great... AWESOME work so far. keep it up :) "Modeling wise" I'll have to read more about the games story though before I can form an opinion on that. and of course its gameplay too!
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No unfortunately i had to stop modeling the female and hop on environments and weapons with the team for now. I'll get back to her at a later date though. Thank you for the kind words.

Here is the hero's head textured though.

f_004m_bcf785c.jpg
  • psychoticprankster
    Thank you for these Wonderful screen shots, I'm really impressed :) I'm a modeler myself!
    I would like to learn more about this male character. At the moment he seems to have
    to many scars. I'd like to see though if they actually fit this character or not.
    They do seem a lil overkill,as graphically impressive as they are.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Just as an FYI, this thread was moved here because it was sitting in the Request forums not being seen and I figured some of this stuff needed some more eyes on it.

Carry on, lads, carry on.
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you bearkub :thumbup:
  • jayoplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :thumbup:
    :poly121:
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for these Wonderful screen shots, I'm really impressed :) I'm a modeler myself!
    I would like to learn more about this male character. At the moment he seems to have
    to many scars. I'd like to see though if they actually fit this character or not.
    They do seem a lil overkill,as graphically impressive as they are.

Thanks psychoticprankster, this is a battle experienced commander for an elite fighting group. That's why the subtle scaring.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The work you're pimping for your mod is really fantastic. Both the concepts and practical 3D modeling are looking rock-solid. I'd volunteer to do some work for your team, but I don't really have enough experience in such high-poly modeling, or the requisite software to do such detailed sculpting. But good luck on getting some financial backing for your mod man, you guys are doing a very impressive job so far.

I do have one criticism. And it's more of a general design criticism for modern first person shooters? What happened to womens' ass armor? The 3D model you are making for your female character has no armor on her butt. I understand the appeal of having a lead female character with skin-tight latex stretched across her posterior, but it isn't very practical for a wartime setting. What women in her right mind would go into a gun battle wearing a leotard from her midriff to her boots? Male characters walk around wearing miniature tanks, you can be certain their bungholes are protected from errant fire.

There are a lot of major organs down there. You take a shot to the pelvic region without some kind of buffer and your ass is quite literally dead. Give the poor ladies some manner of armored pants.
  • jayoplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The work you're pimping for your mod is really fantastic. Both the concepts and practical 3D modeling are looking rock-solid. I'd volunteer to do some work for your team, but I don't really have enough experience in such high-poly modeling, or the requisite software to do such detailed sculpting. But good luck on getting some financial backing for your mod man, you guys are doing a very impressive job so far.

I do have one criticism. And it's more of a general design criticism for modern first person shooters? What happened to womens' ass armor? The 3D model you are making for your female character has no armor on her butt. I understand the appeal of having a lead female character with skin-tight latex stretched across her posterior, but it isn't very practical for a wartime setting. What women in her right mind would go into a gun battle wearing a leotard from her midriff to her boots? Male characters walk around wearing miniature tanks, you can be certain their bungholes are protected from errant fire.

There are a lot of major organs down there. You take a shot to the pelvic region without some kind of buffer and your ass is quite literally dead. Give the poor ladies some manner of armored pants.

I smiled at this... but you're so right.
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) That female there is just a dropship pilot, not a lead battle women, also she was redesigned from that to this.

Eclipse_Dropship_Pilot.jpg
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14

Appeal before practicality. I only want to see ass armor if it is detailed, awesome, and form fitting. Otherwise let those cheeks flap around bare.
    That pic is old so I'm sure it has improved anyway.

Good job guys.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth

Dude, did you even finish highschool?? Its a pretty well accepted fact that the skimpier the bikini, the more protective the armour!

geez whata newb.:poly121:

This mod goes on the 'to watch list'. keep up the content guys!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks great so far! i totally missed it because it was in the request forum ;).
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Great stuff in this thread, slick and clean.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Nice stuff! Can't wait to see it all come together. I've seen the Teaser wall prop and the prop above it modeled by someone around here. I can't remember who.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah, those were modelled by me. :) Hey, nice to see something new there dark ;) Keep it up :D
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    some awesome stuff for a mod. Cant wait until i see the stuff in crysis. :)
  • misterboogie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    misterboogie polycounter lvl 11
    Love the art for this! Keep rockin!!
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    really nice work...looks like a really impressive conversion so far. I'll definitely keep an eye out on this one.
  • psychoticprankster
    darkmatter wrote: »
    :) That female there is just a dropship pilot, not a lead battle women, also she was redesigned from that to this.

Eclipse_Dropship_Pilot.jpg
    :) Very nice, I wish I looked that good lol
  • darkmatter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer wrote: »
    Yeah, those were modelled by me. :) Hey, nice to see something new there dark ;) Keep it up :D

Thanks Snefer :) , we'll keep it coming. Thanks everyone, we are working overtime on some nice environment goods right now and hope to get those out the door soon.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, I remember seeing this a while back and since its been so long since I saw an update I wasn't sure if you guys were still working on it.
    The artwork is quite stunning really, I wish you guys the best. It would be cool to see a fly through of the environment, when its ready.
    keep up the good work!
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Killer work guys, loving some of the creature concepts.
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    Some nice work there
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    *jaw drops*

Awesome stuff!
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
  • LucidTurnip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work guys, as always the real test with a mod is keeping a dedicated team together and keep production moving, best of luck.