Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - roo - Dequem

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    that is tight. i like both renditions! can;t wait to see u model this guy!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Loving in Rooster, and the precursor version is great too.

I think I'll have to have a play with doing that in mine, mainly to try and pull some futuristic elements into it.
  • Poly-Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 16
    This desigs very cool love the progression each one just adds to it very cool solid design
  • boomz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boomz polycounter lvl 9
    I like the brutal, war-torn, and stripped down feel of your concept, especially in contrast to your exploratory work that casts him as a new recruit, fresh for battle. I really like your amber implantation back-story. I initially thought that he must have spent his previous 1000 years main-lining Miracle-Grow a little too often on that left arm of his, but that is awesome looking either way you cut it. The cloth banners are really cool, I wonder if they were tattered more? I really like the solemn, 'I am your destroyer' feeling I get from his current posture. Really looking forward to this one , Rooster.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Those shoulder cape things are awesome. You must keep them!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks for feedback! I'll do some individual replies when ive got time-
    will explore some more this wkend heres another sketch to keep things ticking over smile.gif
    c_12.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Holy shit, Rooster, an airplane crashed into your samurai!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    lol is that good or bad tongue.gif I wanted to see what would happen by emphasizing the bulk and trying to make imposing armour, I'll probably do a more slender guy too
  • BlackB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you definitely got some cool imagination !! haha i like it :P
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    any thoughts?

think i need to spend a little time off it I cant tell anymore if I'm on the right road. As luck would have it, I'm off to a Stag party so see yall tomorrow!

edit: also, I might start focusing much more on the vines it seems every man and his dog is doing a guy with bits of tree

c_13.jpg

edit: btw front of helmet is removable so you can also see his face as in 10
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    I love it
    nice progress and style!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'd remove of angle those banners up 45 degrees (like the shorter, thicker wings). They seem a bit tacked on the whole thing. Also, remove the blue pointy bits from the helmet and have the vines wrapping and growing around him instead of up. This is just how I'd personally handle it.

Vines are popular this year, as are tiny wind waker legs. The returning standards of faces on chest plates and goat legs are being heavily abused too. I know, I'm one of them.

Either way, it’s good to see you retaining the phallic imagery as with all your work via the penis helmet.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Looking great man, though I'm not so sure I like the helmet. I think he loses some of his character by covering up his neck/head completely like that. He also feels top heavy cause of it in combo with his huge shoulder armour.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    Either way, it’s good to see you retaining the phallic imagery as with all your work via the penis helmet.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! I'm pretty sure its written in the artists handbook that every piece you make has to have some kind of genital reference hidden away (or not)

heres where i went today, I had a hangover tho frown.gif
    I'm starting to think I'll just go with it and work out the kinks as they come. One I'm struggling with is where to put his sword.. I have one designed, but its pretty large, i guess when I design the back I can incorporate a sheath, for now I put it on his leg but its bigger than represented. hmmm

Edit: tulk, helmet will be removable so in one shot he'll not have it and maybe the beauty shot he'll be in a battle pose with it on

c_14.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The helmets not doing it for me, Rooster. He's losing a lot of character be cramming his head inside the jousting helm. You could perhaps flip up the visor so you could see his face, but I don't think the design really needs it at all.
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    Completely awesome design thus far. The silhouette is interesting and that vine/tree arm is coming along great.

Agree with Jackablade a bit, helmet makes him look a little like a kind of soldier and not so much a single, important general/what have you. The taking-the-helmet off for a beauty shot could help, but I feel like that'd make him seem more like a unique guy -under- the helmet. I do freakin' dig the design of the helmet. Could always give the helmet itself more detail, maybe make it emulate a face or expression a bit to make him come alive a little, make it show a bit of rank.

Course, just a thought. Still highly dangerous amounts of awesome as is.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    I've just seen your pic in the summary thread, I really love how you improved the design smile.gif
    looks great .. the shoulder pads don't look very convenient indoor tho laugh.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks all.. I'm not feeling it much atm needs a final kick up the arse. stay tuned!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Ok well I checked the previous concept against the Polycount Awesome-O-Meter, aka peppi's new concept pic, I noticed most of my dials were on like, 4 compared to his 11. So, trying to turn it up a few notches!

weapon to come tomorrow I cant wait to draw it actually..

c_15.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    big big fan. peppi's kind of stylistic accentuation isn't going to work with all kinds of concepts, but this guy is more than amenable, and your latest shows just how much. cleaning up and simplifying the forms in the arms and legs pays huuuuge dividends, and now the flags, feet, arms and loincloth all visually spell "fuckin' burly." real stout. small things remind me of mr. kite's Beef entry from the first DW, which is also a very excellent sign.
    i think you're getting real close to a finished concept... i'd start sketching out some orthos to nail the dynamism from different angles, but for the most part you look just about ready to go.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good Rooster, it feels a little like peppis now with the pointed hoof feet, and horns out the side. I like the cloth coming out the side.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Love it man. You definitely turned it up here. What happened to his vine arm? Changed your idea?

The one thing that bugs me right now is his neck though. I like the proportions, it's just that it feel really underdetailed right now compared to other things.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    hot sauce! way to kick this guy up a few notches.

your awesome notch-up-knockin (respect to bender) has inspired me to do the same with my concept. No crits, just wanted to let you know this is a great improvement, much badassery has been imbued into this latest concept.

edit: ok, I do have a crit. That huge neck does seem to be lacking something. If this guy was part of a whole race of this-guys, and they were all badass fighters, then they'd probably have come up with a slick way of ornamenting themselves. That neck is just begging for some tattoos, or something like that. Mai too sense.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    This is sweet!

Would be cool to see some tats on there like Ferg brought up.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    gauss: thanks man really appreciate the comments!
    waz: tbh I'm not trying to emulate peppi's style in any way, all I meant was he was pushing it as far as it could go, and mine was looking a bit limp in comparison.
    tulk: no vine arm, vinespear!
    ferg, aye great idea.. i think I'll play around with some tribal design stuff. want to do something but avoid any tat cheesyness
    thanks again for all the comments and suggestions!

Vinespear!
    wc_01.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    man that last iteration of the character is pure win for me, the head talks to me way more than the helmet.

keep it up dude !
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    newest iteration is the win. burly pissed off gazelle dude. YES!
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Oi I agree with Vahl, the helmet is a serious case of no win sauce.

Very original entry man, Ilike the neck armor, reminds me a bit of those tribes where they keep stacking rings around their necks to support their heads (well I suppose eventually its for support as well).

Just wondering if the armor isn't too techy? Especially since his powers seem to be plants 'n stuff.... But,maybe I should shut up before I get an angry mob after me smile.gif

sweet stuff rooster!
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    His silhouette makes him look like a Jet fighter grin.gif
    His body is so bulky and squat, yet that long neck really streamlines him. Its such an enjoyable design to look at
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    real early wip.. lookin at other threads, damn we got some fast workers about
    dw3_wip_01.jpg
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Really loving this design Rooster. I think its the best character design I've seen from you so far.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Very cool innovative concept im curious how it will look in 3D.
    His biceps looks tiny in your started mudbox mesh. smile.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ok, been slacking on this frown.gif on the plus side, i passed my driving theory, just need to get the big one out the way and im rollin'
    dw3_wip_02.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You better stop slackin' then!
  • Khunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the feel on the first concept...neck might be a little to long for my taste. flags are a nice touch
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    That is the meanest-looking badger I've ever seen.

Flags are win, style is fuckin' crazy, I love it. moar!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    EDIT: WOOT: found wip4.mab34 file and renamed to mb, and it was a backup! phew.. dont scare me like that maya. it was in the same folder and not the usual user dir which threw me a bit..

(ignore:) well, for the first time I've ever experienced maya has corrupted a file I was working on, deleting 90% of the objects in there, and taking with it a few days worth of work. i feel like jacking it in atm. Im sure i wont though, but god damn it
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    sry to hear that man, frown.gif I hope you keep working on your character because he has this very unique feel and style, Id love to see his evolution.

EDIT: oh nm (just read ur edit ) glad to see you had a backup
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ok... an explanation first: i just got stuck in a rut and felt like I couldnt get any further with the old design.. i still like it and will hopefully complete it, but not for the war. So, without further ado, I present my reboot of dom war 3: (I know I'm freaking nuts restarting 2 weeks before the deadline. fuck it!)

Burnyman! (working title tongue.gif)
    dw3_wip_03.jpg
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    nice (re)start!
    and I understand you, I've restarted twice, and the last time was less than a week ago laugh.gif
    good luck wink.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good so far, some interesting shapes going on there. My entry is dead sadly, I barely have time to post comments on other peoples stuff frown.gif

So feel special I commented on yours :P
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i dont like his mask.. but beside of that it totally rocks

but goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo now fastfastfast
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks guys smile.gif rollin, you might like it better soon but who knows eh wink.gif
  • rooster
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    may be a little too space-marine-y for the comp? it looks awesome, but may suggest moving away from techno-armor and more toward fantasy armor? Could change the metal rivits to wood, with fuzz around the connections, more leather belts, dappled metal, etc.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks man, yeah that's definately on my mind.. off for a ref hunt! although I think if I play up the scavenged element a bit more i can still get away with some tech looking stuff in there

edit: tbh the more i look at old arms and armour the more convinced I am that the technology back then could produce more complex stuff than the design I'm making.. they made some freakin nice stuff back then.. so its mainly the actual design we're talking about. I'm in two minds about it; the setting of the comp is still a few thousand years in the future after all
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    edit: btw I've kind of decided I'm going to make a futuristic looking guy who's design could be executed with non-powered tools and techniques. I don't think I should need to make everything out of wood, the race has had a full 1000 years to adjust to working without electricity..
    dw3_wip_05.jpg