Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - katzeimsack - lion, sort of

Replies

• Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Its just his concept, he's no 2d artist so why not use arshs basemesh as the groundlevel base, build up the concept around it and do the real work from scratch. I don't see a problem with using this basemesh for concept sketching there is nothing artistic in building simple basemeshes for prototyping, it's just a waste of time and doesn't show any skills but patience.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is its not just a concept, its basically a fairly detailed rapid prototype. And prototypes can be refined into real models or projected onto other meshes :S

I don't know, don't want to hate on it. But I have to agree with Spark.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Oi, some of you are being way too uptight on these goddamn rules. The entire point of concepting for a 3D model is to get an idea down as easily and efficiently as possible. There is no goddamn way that process should be restricted or you are impeding the creative process. For the actual model, the rules are good and all that. For concepting, just fack off.

Anyways, this is kicking some serious as Katz, I'm looking forward to your next update.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Tulkamir, I don't think we are being to uptight on things, as the Dominance War rules stated that everything (EVERYTHING) needed to be started from scratch. Katz starting from a basemesh to help his concept from another artist, well just isn't from scratch. He is a strong artist and I was trying to give a subtle hint that this might be breaking the rules, 2 days into the war, and would hate for something he created be disqualified for it. But I am sure that there will be more people than Katz that do this, or cheat by using basemeshes, or started way before the war even began, I guess we will have to deal with it.

Spark
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    thx to all
    [ QUOTE ]
    Great start!I love the attetnion to detail.
    That chainmail part could become a pain in the ass when you're doing the lowpoly, are you going to alpha it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    did something very similar with alphas and it looked great smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    nice.. btw.. is zb3 faster than mudbox ?

[/ QUOTE ]
    muuuuuuuuch faster!

[ QUOTE ]

Manuel: This looks really cool ... although it seems like you're just jumping straight in with this concept... I guess you already decided it's definitely what you wanted to make? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Had this character in mind since 1st feb. When the war started I just pressed the play button on my brain an here we go..
    Domwar is for fun anyway and I really enjoy this character.

[ QUOTE ]
    man i need to get me zbrush anyone know any stores that sell them in vancouver?

[/ QUOTE ]
    There is a 30 day trail on the official website!

[ QUOTE ]
    Tulkamir, I don't think we are being to uptight on things, as the Dominance War rules stated that everything (EVERYTHING) needed to be started from scratch. Katz starting from a basemesh to help his concept from another artist, well just isn't from scratch. He is a strong artist and I was trying to give a subtle hint that this might be breaking the rules, 2 days into the war, and would hate for something he created be disqualified for it. But I am sure that there will be more people than Katz that do this, or cheat by using basemeshes, or started way before the war even began, I guess we will have to deal with it.

Spark

[/ QUOTE ]
    I really have to thank you smile.gif

Even though I don't see it that way, I will remodel all parts that were stared from the basemesh,
    in order to save myself from beeing disqualified.
  • gwad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good luck !
    you are really strong, I cannot wait to see suite.
    gwad
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Slow down! jesus!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ha.. as faar as i know you, you wont let dir reinreden.. but i would give the face a bit more distinct shapes.. (eg. side of the forehead , cheeks)

the mouth rocks!
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Katz, may i ask how you did that facial hair? Just the old warhores, standardbrushlazymous?
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claybrush and standard brush smile.gif
    I love to use rgb and scultmode at the same time.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    so, i'm not accusing anyone of anything but i'm sorta confused as to the process ur using here. i dig the lionhead, i dig the concept u first posted, and i have no doubt that you did this stuff urself. but correct me if i'm wrong, this is the lionhead from the concept right? did u model that in one day to use it in a paintover for ur concept? and if not, wouldnt that be cheating if this head ends up in the final model? not to add flames to any fires but i think what spark brought up earlier has some merit. wouldnt want the guys of DW3 to notice something like this after u turn in the final model. if i'm way off base and ur plannin on remodeling the head from scratch, no worries! like i said before, it all looks great in any case!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    How would using your own art (that was made specifically for this contest) be cheating?

katz, you must be doing it right gettin' all these haters! I wish I had haters. I gotta stop sucking. frown.gif

Rock on, Lion King!
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty confused about your process as well. You used a base mesh that someone else made to do a paint over for your concept? However you sculpted the lion head and it looks exactly like the model in the concept...wouldn't that make it not your own work? You didnt elaborate in the post with the lion head sculpt...is that your work of is it from the base mesh/concept...they look extremely similar. Please correct me if I'm wrong...otherwise, nice work so far smile.gif
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Aight. It looks like it works smile.gif Wonder why i havent used rgb on as well, then you dont have that pain to paint every strand again. doh!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i'm not hating...its great work and i'm sure he was responsible for it. all i'm sayin is its against the DW rules to use a model created before the war in you final model for this war. so, if he were to use it in his 2d concept, fine by me...but to use it in his final mesh, that seems like its against the rules. thats all i wanted to say. no one is saying his art is "bad." i'm just saying it would be unfortunate if the judges see this the same way i do. in any case, katz, ur stuff is great, i'm certainly not knocking the quality and i'm sure u've got this thing figured out...i'm just confused that's all...
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, no problem... I don't feel accused smile.gif

Yeah, it was the head I used in the concept, before I detailed it. But on contrast on most of the other parts I didn't use ashs basemesh for it. I did a simple box like basemesh for it. Therefore it's build up from the ground for domwar3 smile.gif

btw: I nearly finished remodeling the wohle armor in maya and made some screenshots which can proof, that they were done in maya and not by the retopology tool using the concept. Therefore, don't worry about me, I won't get disqualified.

cholden : thanks smile.gif
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it would be unfortunate to see disqualification here with this 3D talent. Make sure everything is clear and keep going because its looking fantastic
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    confusion cleared...i knew it! katz does have it all figured out...
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    lol
    omg he used a cube as a base for his head CHEATER !!!!

looks good man
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ vahl: from a certain point of view all primitives given by maya/max are basemeshes done WAY before the war (by a different artist) ;D

\o/
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    aarrrg.. my max was installed bevore domwar3 started.. dammit

to sculpt a base-head goes very fast..
    and he told by himself that he used a basemesh for concepting.. why should he do that if he realy wanted to get an advantage?
    there are sure a lot people using this or that little help-object and don´t tell it.. and do you know what? i don´t care..
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work so far! smile.gif
  • gwad
  • EnErgEstEr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude check out this dudes concept. A lion dude in armor with a larger left arm.
    web page

and this dude has a really good lion head in zbrush for his concept.
    web page

I just showing you guys some of the other teams feline models to see what we are up against. smile.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the first is a tiger dude.
    and the other dude is a some feline inspired, but doesnt look lion to me. dude. none are similar enought to be worried about. i mean its not like they just mearged each others files and traced over them.

and on the whole basemesh argument. its dumb. katz shown he has the skills, its not like he found a basemesh for a armored lion model and tweaked that, it was a formless fearureless basemesh that is completley unreconizable in this final

this comp is always been about a ton of stuff that look pretty much exactly the same. and then a few pieces that stick out to be awesome.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    The next person to bring up "OMG CHEATZ" in this thread will be banned, no questions asked. Katz has proved this is his work and there is no more need to drag it out any further.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first showable part of the in maya remodelt parts smile.gif
    hand_a_01.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    looking great man
    be careful with rivets tho, they tend to make stuff look techy very quickly
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    While I doubt detail at that level will ever show up in game, I LOVE how you used the polycount logo for the fine, engraved details.

edit: "in game" listen to me! I mean, transfered over to the normal map when baked...but maybe. :P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Really cool stuff ... I don't agree with Vahl about the rivets though, people have been using rivets like that in armour for 500+ years, they're really quite low-tech. Doesn't really matter if it makes some people think it looks more high-tech, since it actually isn't smile.gif

Awesome idea with the polycount face for the pattern too!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looking pretty sick man, congrats !
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i also did a paint over... but my paint over model is just throw away topology hell... i'm starting my 'main' model pretty soon. i don't see anything wrong with it - or for that matter anything wrong in re-tooling an old model to turn into something new. I think there's a sense of 'cheating' if people use older models (such as a head for instance) - but I am all for that - as long as you change it enough to fit the new idea. I guess what i'm saying is that using your old model and changing the pant's color and calling it a day is cheating - but using your old model's hand for just a start shouldn't be cheating.
    All thing said - my critique is that he seems brand spanking new out of a Tolkien-esque fantasy world. We're looking at a futuristic post apocalyptic war ravaged world here - maybe there should be something that hints at that in your lion. Doesn't have to be ragged clothing - but there's always some familiar elements that you can use.
    great work though!!! i really dig the polycount face pattern!!
  • Smooth_Criminal
    its going awesome, looking forward to see more
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks awesome! I love it! one thing that's bugging me though is that his arm is extremely short, and kindof looks like he only has lower arms.
    keep it up! i love the head and chest armour!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I really like this, the detail you already put into your hard surfaces is great, but like Japhir said, how will his arms work? It doesn't appear that he has a joint area for the bicep right now, or a part in the armor that can bend.
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Nice looking character, but I have to jump in on the weird short arm thing. Other than that, good looking character.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Beautiful, so far. The short arm thing is weird, though.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Those chain links really distract me. They stick out as the most shapeless and arbitrary part of the armor, and they don't seem to be there for any other reason than to weigh down his upper arms with his breast plate. On the whole, he's looking fantastic!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The level of detail in this is outstanding! The mini greentooths (greenteeth?) in the gauntlet is a great touch.
    Keep it up mate.

-caseyjones
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man when you get to baking, you might want to try rendering out your normals without smoothing on the highres, that is to say the highres having faceted normals. I think some of your really fine details might have a better chance poping out that way.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    thats some serious awesomeness you've managed to bottle!
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    can't wait to see more smile.gif very promising..
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Awesome! smile.gif
    2 things:
    All these L shapes look just slapped on the armor. They seem to have no reason and the repeating makes that worst.
    The very small details look very nice but you cant render them in the 2048x2048 texture, i would make such things later in Photoshop anyway, its less work and you can see how small you can make this details.
    Ach ja, muss ich auch nochmal sagen, der arm sieht viel zu kurz aus. :P
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    comeing along great, love the detailling, the arm looks a bit confusing and short, but i think this will clear up when you have the other arm done, like in the concept.
    if not, well then the upper arms should be a bit longer.
    can't wair for more smile.gif
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    really nice weight and shapes going on. Guys feeling well protected, you gonna be able to fit a shoulder in there? Solid stuff man, keep it up.
  • LaSalle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definately one of my fav concpts thus far...fun to look at, creative and well executed...good luck man!
  • jlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this guy looks so badass. should be at least a top ten finalist imho.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx smile.gif

I call it finished, maybee, I will rework some things after I finished the lowpoly and stuff.

The big arm will be put down a little bit in the lowpoly smile.gif

high_finished.jpg