Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - logo & rules

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
in accordance with the rules, you must use this logo somewhere in your entry. We don't care what colours you use, however the logo must be recognisable.

flag01.png
http://www.dadako.com/forums_old/flag01.png

Challenge rules, are here:

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/rules/index.php

If you have a question, please spam http://www.gameartisans.org/ or in this thread, as we don't actually have the final say, we cannot answer your questions but we will invite the challenge organisers to come and reply here.

Replies

• Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry, do i uderstand it right, that we are also able to redisgn this little cute fellow like the diffrenet avatars that are jumping here around in our forum?! so that at least the form is the same... smily with green tooth?!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a reminder but electronics and petrol / gas / steam powered things are prohibited.

so no spacesuits or chainsaws please.
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    Need some confirmation here please. In your first post you say 'you must use this logo somewhere in your entry'

however comp rules state:

'Your character must possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia (if your team has one).'

and/or.....so we dont 'have' to use the logo but have to incorporate the polycount green OR the logo OR both depending on preference?

Anyway slightly confuddled. Could you let us know pls Hawken.

Cheers smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    logo. colours are up to you smile.gif
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken: The rules say no digital technology. A chainsaw or anything powered by fossil fuels or steam seem to be valid with the latest revision
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @keg: i can answer that one:
    rules state clearly: nothing steam powered.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    indian_boy: yea I missed that line. I was looking in the restrictions section.
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha! I love this years challenge! This is gunna be great. Polycounters gotta step up and take back that victory that was so sadly snaked from us last year! (But great job and kudos to Taehoon Oh who one last year)
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I see some people designing thumbnails by silhouette, does that mean this character needs to be completely rigged and posed for submission?

The design aspect of it seems along the lines of what I'd be comfortable with, and maybe I might try it, and maybe I won't... just don't have time, sadly.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Well you could do your winning pose without a rig, but i guess it's easier to do with a rig. But whats the connection to the silhouette? The Silhouette is a very strong foundation for characterdesign, but i don't see a connection to the rigging part in this o_O
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    oh just wondering if rigging was a requirement. I understand the silhouette is a design foundation, I was just thinking about how if you didn't rig the character, you wouldn't be able to achieve the pose in exact silhouette... silly thoughts.
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supercop polycounter lvl 14
    Okay so color scheme is open but....

Can we change the color of the logo? Like say, if you have it "burned" into the character's skin? (ex: Being more of a reddish burned flesh tone instead of a medium green)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    logo. colours are up to you smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

logo can be any colour you like
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    "Only exception: No robots, metal constructs, magical golums, cyborgs, steam engines, steam equipment or anything with electronics."

I read this of the Dominancewar.com site. I am puzzled over the part where is says "metal constructs". Would that mean that metal armor is out of the question?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    W1r3d, I think it means more of an idea based around something created from metal, not just anything constructed from metal. So a guy wearing metal armour would be ok, wheras a suit of metal armour being driven by magic would not.

Just my take on it. :P
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jep, fred told me the same
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    So a guy wearing metal armour would be ok, wheras a suit of metal armour being driven by magic would not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does 'driven by magic' mean...like floating shoulder armor or something of the like?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    no its about machinery .. they don´t want you to make a lasercannon or jetpack and than say "this is no laser, this is magic" ..

so floating stuff is ok, i guess, but a magic-robot-arm not
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    well, from what i see, gunpowder is allowed, which means chemical energy is allowed, but chemical energy isn't allowed as you're not allowed to have vehicles. ummm....
    anyone who's put gasoline into a potatogun is surely going to scratch their heads here.

as usual, domwar rules are so vague it puts religious dogmas to shame.

and what is "a simple pistol?"

a flintlock gun?
    a revolver?
    a beretta?
    a gonne?
    are medieval cannons allowed, since it works on the same mechanical principle as a "simple gun" e.g bullet-gunpowder-
    barrel?
    is simple gun limited to non-machine guns?
    and by that is handcranked gatling guns disallowed?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i think all that stuff is allowed, fred said you could have a desert eagle style gun, so anything simpler should be ok

edit: btw I have the same beef you do with the rules not making any real sense, but it makes more sense if you look at it from their point of view. They don't want any mech or robot type entries, but you can give your character a gun as long as its not a super laser gun. I don't think its any more complicated than that
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    mailed fred he should give examples or links to wiki pages or whatever to explain the words more, so there is not so much confusion about them..
    but he seems to be very busy, so at least i hope he will do so for the next war smile.gif
  • Yuzrass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I got one question, can I make my character using one magical item eg. a magical helmet with a regular sword? the helmet got the power to fire lightning bolt. So it can be counted as weapon right? Easy to say can I have 2 different weapon, one is magical and one is regular?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yes, Yuzrass. you can give him 18 weapons if you want, as long as only one is the artifact
  • Yuzrass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmm yeah I think so since there is nothinig about this issue that is contradicting the rules that has been given. I guess yeah I'll give it a go with this idea. Thx Sectaurs.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    So suppose I were to attempt making a dude who's body is infested with ancient deep space parasites.
    What would that fall under?
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lots and lots of weapons smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So suppose I were to attempt making a dude who's body is infested with ancient deep space parasites.
    What would that fall under?

[/ QUOTE ]

if they're going to be the 'elemental' weapon, just make sure they're all perfect clones of each other and you're all set
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    yes, Yuzrass. you can give him 18 weapons if you want, as long as only one is the artifact

[/ QUOTE ]

or two identical ones!
  • Yuzrass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more thing, about the texture sheet. It says that we can't break the 2048 texture sheet to small one meaning there must only be one texture sheet per type of texture. So does this also means that we have to make all the weapon, character share one big texture sheet, when all the objects are separate object?
    Sorry for bad english.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    correct. every texture used by everything in the final scene must be located on a single 2048 sheet.
  • Yuzrass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thx Sec. So after done the modeling stage i need to attach all the object into one and give it an unwraped. Rearrange the UV then detached it back. Thats ez enough thx!!
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Does the logo have to be properly integrated in the design? Or can you just sneak it onto the model somewhere ;P
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The logo looks like a buckle to me, so that's how I'm going to use it. Seems like good integration to me, since it'll be all over the character. If anybody else wants to nick that idea I ain't mad at'cha. I'm sure I wasn't the first.
    logobuckle01.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hah, nice one Chris.

BTW I read the GameArtisans official rules like you're allowed to use the logo OR the site's colour scheme - why are we now limiting this here to "MUST USE LOGO" but colour scheme can be anything you like? That's actually different rules to what Fred has set down officially.

I think it'd be perfectly fine to not have the logo on your submission as long as the overall colours were the black/blue/green/red of the default forum colour scheme.

Obviously it's easier to integrate the logo, but I don't think we should be arbitrarily restricting it to make everyone include that logo even if their colours are that of polycount.
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can we deform the logo to retain the hollowed out eyes, and only the top teeth?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Question: how do you update the thumbnail in the official dom war site?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just upload a newer version...

Note1 : All updated thumbnails are reviewed before shown on the View Entries page
    Note2 : If you submit your final entry, you can no longer update your entry's thumbnail
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Okay, so it's allowed if the bugs aren't even the artifact, just a part of the character?
    I'm just thinking of giving him some random ass artifact to go with the infested torso husk dealie
    Like a magic contact lens or sock.
    Well that's not true, something cooler and more stabby/crushy but you get what I mean..
    I also take it that I absolutely cannot have a space suit on the character, even if it's non functioning..?
    errr, nevermind about the first part I forgot about being able to have 2 artifacts
  • EnErgEstEr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by EnErgEstEr
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    TeriyakiStyle

don´t know exactly what you mean but you can do this:

go to dominancewar.com and login
    klick your team
    klick join
    klick "The categories you joined: xyz"

tadaaa smile.gif

hope thats what you asked for.. if not.. smile.gif

btw: our main colors are offical black ´n green (so using red and blue does not work, just as supporting colors)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Supervlieg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supervlieg polycounter lvl 17
    Ok, maybe its a silly question, but I need to know. If my entry has a mounted rider, but the rider is encapsulated with metal armored parts, that have a hinge of some kind. I guess thats okay right? Nothing mechanical or steam powered going on.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    imo its ok..

and mechanical stuff isn´t disallowed...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, hinges on armour is perfectly fine. Just nothing electronic, I think. You could have pre-industrial metal parts or machinery (think Leonardo Da Vinci style things, all winches, pulleys, counterweights, hinges and tooled metal parts).
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    I don't sure is a good place to ask this question, but I'm a confused.

How to show effect of emmisive map in the winnig pose deafult render in 3ds max? Theres no option to generate glow from map. Theres only self illumination map slot in material editor, and the effect is still flat.

Or maybe I'm wrong?
    Or maybe I need a additional realtime shader for max?

The games engines renders are allowed? For example ue3, or maybe xnormal viewer? But the quality level is still lower than 3-light render..

Can anyone help me to out of this?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Are particles allowed in either the max or game renders?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    as far as i understand the thing:

they are only allowed as part of your model (so you have to count the planes to your max polycount and the textures to your texture)

or

as background for your beauty shot (but you have to remove them for the winningpose-shot)

to be sure ask FredH on the game artisans forum